[Thunder12345] GeeseMother - day ban

Post by GeeseMother » #504672

Byond account and character name: GeeseMother, Curtas Brown
Banning admin: Thunder12345
Ban type (What are you banned from?): playing
Ban reason and length: one day
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2019/7/25 12:14:42 GMT
Server you were playing when banned: Event hall
Your side of the story: so this assistant keeps going at me with a toolbox and I have had enough. I pull out my gun and blow the bitch away, I laugh, but what I do not know is that this rat like assistant would cry for an admin. This assistant would have killed me if I allowed them to, I could have killed them with a toolbox, crowbar, anything. I just decided to use my gun because I could not be bothered. this all took place in medbay where any number of doctors could have helped him yet none of them did due to the fact he was a shitty assistant who could not fight for shit.
Why you think you should be unbanned: what am I supposed to do when a rat like assistant is coming at me with a toolbox and do not say go to SEC that is a waist of time for those goons. I merely decided to deal with a problem that was lain before me.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: [Thunder12345] GeeseMother - day ban

Post by Thunder11 » #504677

Full ban reason for context
Killed a person with a mosin because they hit him with a toolbox a couple of times. Multiple previous warnings about escalation.
You ran into a person you'd been having occasional minor fights with, and after they slap you once with a toolbox, you shoot them with your rifle. They get one more hit in after this, you shoot them again, putting them into crit, and walk away to leave them to die. You severely over-escalated the situation, and having had more than one warning about this before, I see no reason why a dayban is no appropriate.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #504687

What, were they supposed to wait until the assistant hit them into red to gun them down? The two players apparently had former bad interactions, and when the shitter comes swinging you ban someone for defending themself?? Not only this but the player just crit them, its not as if they murdered and cremated. And to top it off it was in fucking medbay, the guy should’ve been back on his feet in seconds.

Its literal basic escalation. By using violence the assistant opened himself up to violence. Or, you could quote act like an antag get treated like one, depending on the nature of their earlier interactions. Either way the assistant is ban baiting.
RagingTuna
Byond Username: RagingTuna

Post by RagingTuna » #504692

He also just recently got banned on beestation.. but I think critting somebody for hitting you with such a deadly weapon as a toolbox is somewhat understandable and isn't being a huge shitter. Like, it's a toolbox, man. You can stun somebody by hitting the groin in just a couple of hits, and he'll never get up again.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #504701

Attempting Peanut Policy Here
If a player wrongs you(theft, attacks, etc), you may retaliate. If you choose to retaliate with violence, you in turn have opened yourself up to violence. If you choose this route, do not expect admins to help you out if you die, even if you were not the original instigator. If you are concerned about being "kill baited" then consider calling security, using non lethal means to subdue your opponent, fleeing, or otherwise working things out (talking them down, getting your stolen items replaced, etc)
Wouldn't that make the guy attacking him with a toolbox the instigator and therefore open to retaliation
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #504720

You still have to be somewhat reasonable about it, killing someone over a minor injury is incredibly excessive
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #504772

Thunder11 wrote:You still have to be somewhat reasonable about it, killing someone over a minor injury is incredibly excessive
Anything that inflicts actual damage(and isn't immediately followed up by an "oops" "shit" "sorry" "my bad") opens you up to lethal retaliation. You don't know if they're going to toolbox you once or ten times. Anyone who waits for the tenth toolbox to the dick is a dead man walking. This looks like someone got banned for treating someone who acted like an antag like an antag. Especially dubious if the person in crit was in the middle of medbay as the OP suggests. What was the OP supposed to do, manually drag them into a stasis bed after defending themselves from a shitter with a toolbox? When they were supposedly surrounded by doctors?

That being said, it's a day. I've eaten a 24h ban in the past for a bullshit reason, but it's only a day, so I just played some other shit for the rest of the evening and came on the next day. Why bother appealing unless you just want the note removed?
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #504881

Thunder11 wrote:You still have to be somewhat reasonable about it, killing someone over a minor injury is incredibly excessive
The current policy states that, once someone has damaged you (especially if he initiated) he is open for massive retaliation up to, and including, death.

I understand if you don't agree with that. We have an open policy discussion thread about it, but that's still the current policy. The assistant walked up to the lad and toolboxed him. I would have probably maimed him too.

Mod note: Just want to say that while the peanut policy does allow you to post if you quote some kind of rule or specific precedent, there are about 4 posts in here that basically say the same thing. I'd like this to be the last post on this topic unless the banning admin responds in such a way that would warrant further discourse.
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod note