[Darkgenerallord] spencleb - Note appeal for breaking into brig/armory

Post by spencleb » #514702

BYOND account: spencleb
Character name: Kindred LeBlanc
Ban type: permabanned
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason:https://imgur.com/DJmaaJk
Time ban was placed: 08-24-2018 18:34:09
Server you were playing on when banned: Bagil or SybIl(?)
Round ID in which ban was placed: 116927
Your side of the story: This round I had been placed as engineer in place of normally playing CMO. Don't know much about role really and thought there were enough engineers that round to serve the station and just needed the space suit. Went about gathering disassembly tools and broke into the brig beforehand to plant a door and locker of supplies, and proceed to enter a part of sec that turned out to be the armory in Delta Station. Half-expected to be caught and along the way got found and got shot with buckshot and ended in crit stated. Pm'ed admin just to be sure death was legit(didn't know if it was syndie or or sec in suit when realistically couldn't possibly be the former) and was prob expecting non-lethals from sec before knowing they're not restricted to non-lethals when defending sec, so first lapse. Get asked twice to elaborate situation, so get thrown off by that question expecting some other answer since they know more from logs than I do as admins so deliberate out how to produce an answer besides one that'd be as unbelievable as explaining why I wanted to break into sec for the purpose of experimenting getting out of sec and not the arms/contents inside, so explained it as "maintenance work" and just wanted to move on not looking for trouble for the rest of the round, so second lapse for lying. I come forward on that font. Get accused of obscuring details of situation and intent back-and-forth, and aggressively accused of ban-baiting and from there banned from server before finish typing reply.

Don't recall rest of details so don't want to suppose rest of interaction
Note: anyone know how to pull chat logs that are weeks old, definitely knows there's holes somewhere in that story since I've been just going off of what I can remember?

Why you think you should be unbanned: So to start for context, I normally experiment game mechanics solo and I'd been wanting to experiment in multiplayer and get brigged that round https://www.digg.com/r/SS13/comments/ ... o_get_out/ no reason for why I couldn't have just've done this offline just wanted to test it live by having another player(sec) actually arrest. Just thought about posting this after reading through the TG station rules(https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules) that the Secret Rule might apply in this case since I had no reason to shoot anyone as a non-antag. If the secret rule cannot justify breaking any other than disregard. Also while I acknowledged it's illegal activity, would it be considered ban-baiting if just asked admin if the death was legit for purpose of knowing if it was sec or syndicate since couldn't tell if the shooter was in a sec hardsuitImage or a syndie spacesuit Image . Was not specifically asking for repercussions on the shooter since either sec or syndie would have their justified reasons for inflicting damage.

References of good conduct: Have nothing concrete or anyone call upon as reference. Have no other bans on any other servers and just mostly been playing Hippie and Toolbox station, and just desire to continue playing CMO in a RP capacity without having medical vandalized or just a change from a permaban.
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Re: [Darkgenerallord] spencleb - Note appeal for breaking into brig/armory

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #514714

The Secret Rule:
For experienced users only. Don't quote these at admins. If you're in a position where you need to defend yourself using this, you've done something wrong.
I'll leave the rest at that as I'm sure darkgenerallord will explain the rest when he replies to the appeal formally.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
spencleb

Post by spencleb » #514721

I'll leave the rest at that as I'm sure darkgenerallord will explain the rest when he replies to the appeal formally.[/quote]

with 6 different tabs open checking grammar, IC rules, forum template,etc. on top knew I'd still be miss something. apologies
Darkgenerallord
Byond Username: Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #514742

I don't plan to post a formal reply today, but this is a heads up that I'll be replying tomorrow.
spencleb

Post by spencleb » #515230

any update?
Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #515522

I ended up getting distracted for a couple days due to college, but I'm responding now.

So, I was willing to lift your ban on probation, except I have something very important to ask.

Why do you have another account logging onto a TG server three days after being banned, on 8/27/19? Your ban was on 8/24/19.
spencleb

Post by spencleb » #515610

My real account is tied to my primary PC I use at home that the ban is on. I have a stack of devices I keep at home that I work with and one is a laptop that was practically a toaster when I found it, for what I do, I cleared it and installed linux on the device but needed to run some programs that are only windows compatible, so I installed a windows XP virtual machine and thought of just trying to test a program on it and just used SS13 and one other since byond is only a ~9mb download and through IE. Entered ~2 servers to see if its responsive but whether for input lag, shitty DDOSed /TG/ connection, toaster specs, or poor VM resource allocation it ran like ass. I don't know what you see on your end but it shouldn't have any more than ~15min activity and would be under a similar name but a dif e-mail. It means little to me if you need to ban since it has neither hrs logged, roles unlocked, or sentiment to for me to value.
Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #515975

Okay, that seems to match up relatively closely given the extremely small period of time you were on that account. I'm willing to put you on probation for a month or so, after which you'd be treated like any other player. Are you fine with that?
spencleb

Post by spencleb » #516194

I am fine with this. Just for sake of curiosity what are differences/conditions under probation?
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #516215

For a future reference: Security Policies & Precedents

6. While it is up to the discretion of the security player, lethal force may be used on a mob of players trying to force entry into the brig. Additionally, lethal force may be used immediately on anyone trying to enter the armory, is in the armory, or is leaving it

Once you go into the armory you put yourself at the risk of being wordlessly mowed down and there is nothing else to ask in the ahepls.
Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #516368

Probation in this specific case would entail the following.

If you would normally be noted or banned during the probation period, it would instead be escalated back to a perma. I'm hopeful that you can stick to these terms, but it's one of two options.

The other is that you can play on another server for a while and get a reference, in which case I would let you back in without a probationary period.
spencleb

Post by spencleb » #516590

Darkgenerallord wrote:Probation in this specific case would entail the following.

If you would normally be noted or banned during the probation period, it would instead be escalated back to a perma. I'm hopeful that you can stick to these terms, but it's one of two options.

The other is that you can play on another server for a while and get a reference, in which case I would let you back in without a probationary period.
I think I prefer and can keep to the terms of the former then.
Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #516723

I'll go lift it and put you on probation, then.
Darkgenerallord

Post by Darkgenerallord » #516725

All done.