[Ivanissaccs] Unbidden - Actual misunderstanding.

Appeals which have been closed.
Unbidden
Byond Username: Unbidden

[Ivanissaccs] Unbidden - Actual misunderstanding.

Post by Unbidden » #518034

BYOND account: Unbidden.
Character name: Klain Howard.
Ban type: Server ban.
Ban length: Perma.
Ban reason: Set off holodeck burn simulation killing himself and two others, then ahelped the AI. Did not respond to ahelps when confronted about this. Ban baiting is not taken lightly here. Explain yourself on the forums.
Time ban was placed: 2019-10-04 14:52:57.
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry.
Round ID in which ban was placed: 120693
Your side of the story: me and some anime-esque character were toying around with holodeck, while the said character was trying to get the AI to toggle off the safeties. I didn't know what was the plasma fire simulation so I turned it on as I was expecting for it to be containable (like beneath the plasma glass or something). A liz walked in and lit it on fire or they didn't or they did, I don't know what exactly set it off, and then they started bashing our skulls in. The fire managed to break out and burn the three of us and as it happened I assumed that the only way for a holographic plasma to spread out into the real world was thru disabling the safeties, so I ahelped the following in a jester-y manner: "ai rogue ban he". After that and some chit-chat with the dead I went AFK for what I assume was ten or so minutes, and as I came back and started talking in ghost chat yet once again I got perma'd for ban baiting without any kind of warning.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I do understand that my ahelp could've been misunderstood, yet my intentions were just that - to make a joke. It was a bad one, for sure, but I think that perma for a bad joke is a bit too much.
References of good conduct: I don't think I can get any of these. Paradise perma'd me for the violation I didn't commit and I don't want to appeal something that I'm not responsible for. I played on VG for a bit as I like the build, but I don't think anyone remembers me there other than admins (since I did a fucky wucy uwu and thought that borers were an antag without reading the guide, had to explain myself on forums there). Russian servers on the other hand...
I think that some people remember me by my other character, Flaire Jacquet, on the Infinity project. Some other folks might know me by my Klain Howard on Chaotic Onyx as a contradictory example of HoS that gets a bit too much in-character. Tau Ceti Station, being one of my first servers, probably still remembers me by my past that was little grief-y (though all of it was in the name of fun), yet even there you can find someone who kinda likes me?? I guess.
Ivan Issaccs
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Ivanissaccs

Re: [Ivanissaccs] Unbidden - Actual misunderstanding.

Post by Ivan Issaccs » #518038

Right, I'm going to take assume good faith and that the above is all accurate and that this is, infact, just new player fuck ups.
I will remove the ban and assume that we wont have any similar misunderstandings.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Re: [Ivanissaccs] Unbidden - Actual misunderstanding.

Post by Hulkamania » #518088

Wanted to throw in that new players very often don't know any better, and part of the appeal process is so we can catch bans where we assume someone is experienced but later can realize it was a genuine mistake on the part of the player. Intent and context are always important to keep in mind and it can be difficult in the moment to tell apart a lie from someone who's just joking or genuinely didn't understand what they did wrong.

Being open and honest in an appeal like this is always a good first step towards getting an appeal done in your favor.