[Kiteme] Deepwoods - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to unleash Legion on the station.

Appeals which have been closed.
Deepwoods
Byond Username: Deepwoods

[Kiteme] Deepwoods - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to unleash Legion on the station.

Post by Deepwoods » #522174

BYOND account: Deepwoods
Character name: William Moore
Ban type: Server
Ban length: 12 Days
Ban reason: Reason: Accidently sent the mining shuttle back with Legion on it as a non-antag, which killed 12 people and caused the end of the shift.
Time ban was placed: 2019-11-03 11:24:24
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil-1
Round ID in which ban was placed: 122843
Your side of the story: It was late in the shift and I was bored and wanted to go back out mining. I had never made a minebot before and was curious about them, so I made one and gave it to a ghost. I went down and started mining north. A short distance up, I ran into Legion. A miner earlier must've let it out and kited it down to just above the mining base. I backtracked, pushed the bot away, and explained to the mining bot what was going on. It claimed ignorance and so I told it to look but to be careful not to get close. It ran into Legion despite me having warned it, with the name and reputation being all I really knew about the damn thing at the time. I had a health HUD and as the minebot was chased down closer and closer to the mining base I thought the minebot may actually be winning. I had no idea of the true nature of the damn thing. So the minebot ate it as I ran off east and circled back around. I entered through the southern mining entrance and went up to use the shuttle. It was right there at the window. And it broke through. And in a panic I ran away and tried to get up on the public shuttle. It got on the shuttle before the shuttle left, and I bailed out the door. I realize now my first course of action should have been to call it back down. But I was panicking and I did not in any way, shape, or form realize what the thing actually was. I just knew it was bad. I didn't know it was that bad. So I warned everyone, got back, and upon hearing that people were throwing themselves at it grabbed a weapon and decided to try. And I died trying to make up for my fuck-up. Twice. I wasn't going to be left among the living after my error there unless the job got done, and this served as a very severe and tragic introduction to what exactly that monster is.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I plead misadventure. I always avoid said ruin when I'm mining. I have never ventured into megafauna slaying. And suddenly I just ran into it out in the open. Just north of the mining base. Yet I pulled back. There was no bravado at play. I didn't want to die or risk the lives of others. And my escape and failure in letting it get back to the station was an organic experience and a matter of course. There was no intent at any point to lead to 12 people being killed. And I died in that shift trying to avert that. I also learned golems can't use any weapons with a trigger. I also also learned to just kite it far away and die rather than to try and save myself if ever there are future encounters like that.

I also plead on the spirit of the game to an extent. Multiple people were involved in the tragedy which occurred. It was, as mentioned, organic in nature. It wasn't self-antagonism or some traitor plot. A miner who wasn't me let Legion out, kited it to where it was where it was and likely died, and then the actions of an idiot (me) led to it getting onboard the station. Meanwhile the Captain had apparently taken off into deep space with some other people on an adventure. I argue in my defense that this was Space Station 13.

As an addition, I'd also ask which rule I expressly broke. The ruling on this seems to, on paper, run contrary to Rule 10. The ban recognizes that it was accidental, yet levies a penalty for the deaths. Rule 10 states that "Your character will frequently die, sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose." Doesn't this count as that? I understand that 12 people dying from what occurred and the shift coming to an end isn't something optimal, but where do I carry the blame? This isn't like messing with the supermatter and having it go critical. This was totally unintentional and played out the way it played out without any catalyzing action on anyone's part. This falls back to my plea of misadventure. Actions occurred within the game absent any party involved having hostile or malicious intent, leading to people dying. A sudden and unexpected occurrence within the game that leads to a catastrophic unraveling absent admin provocation or intervention.

Fundamentally, I'm sorry this occurred. If I had the wherewithal in the moment to have prevented it, I would have without hesitation.

On that note, I was the fucking Chaplain. I should've done a Pray to try and get an admin to banish Legion. I didn't even think of that until this very moment. I forgot that was even a mechanic.

References of good conduct: I just wanted to mine so I could refill the silo and afford to buy crap from the mining vendor for others to use in case of an emergency. I like giving out hardsuits when everything's going to hell. I didn't mean to cause the emergency. I just wanted to mine for god's sake.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Re: [Kiteme] Deepwoods - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to unleash Legion on the station.

Post by Timonk » #522192

Mistakes are part of the game and are usually not banned unless it's a repeated offense
Deepwoods

Re: [Kiteme] Deepwoods - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to unleash Legion on the station.

Post by Deepwoods » #522240

Timonk wrote:Mistakes are part of the game and are usually not banned unless it's a repeated offense
For all of my mistakes, this is the first time I can think of where my actions contributed directly to a mass casualty incident. And I genuinely felt like shit about it as it was playing out, as there was no intent for it to happen. I didn't let Legion onto the station. Legion let itself onto the shuttle. And if I could go back I'd have just kited it into the abyss.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #522266

Timonk wrote:Mistakes are part of the game and are usually not banned unless it's a repeated offense
Yes they are. I was permaed for a mistake once, I've seen it happen to others too.
Deepwoods

Post by Deepwoods » #522315

wesoda25 wrote:
Yes they are. I was permaed for a mistake once, I've seen it happen to others too.
I'm obviously biased, but getting banned for a mistake or for some freak occurrence just seems like BS to me. I was banned with the reason of "Accidentally sent the mining shuttle up with Legion on it as a non-antag." That honestly isn't accurate. I didn't accidentally send the mining shuttle up with Legion on it. Legion got on the shuttle after I had commanded the shuttle to go up. It was during the launch cycle that Legion got on the shuttle and I got off the shuttle running away from it. The situation was out of my control from the point I pressed the button. When I pressed the button, there was no Legion on the shuttle.

If there was proof of malicious intent I'd say it was deserved, but this shit just happened by freak occurrence and I get to decorate a cross for it despite 2 of the 12 people who died to it having been me trying to fight it. I suppose my only reprieve is that it's me eating the ban instead of someone else, because it was a shit situation and even if I had made it out without that happening anyone going down afterward would've likely been in the same position.
kiteme
Byond Username: Kiteme

Post by kiteme » #522322

I understand that you did not do this intentionally, and I watched it all happen.
It was still following you while you could not see it, and you sent the shuttle before you could see it break in.

However, accidentally killing 12 people as a non antag is still against the rules. You indirectly caused it, and that's why the blame falls on you. If you accidentally set off a bomb and killed 12 people, the ban would be the same.

As a rule of thumb, anytime there is a megafauna on the mining station its better to try and kite it away and/or sacrifice yourself so it doesn't get back to the station.

With that being said, i'm going to lower this ban to 7 days.
Spoiler:
Deepwoods

Post by Deepwoods » #522326

kiteme wrote:I understand that you did not do this intentionally, and I watched it all happen.
It was still following you while you could not see it, and you sent the shuttle before you could see it break in.

However, accidentally killing 12 people as a non antag is still against the rules. You indirectly caused it, and that's why the blame falls on you. If you accidentally set off a bomb and killed 12 people, the ban would be the same.

As a rule of thumb, anytime there is a megafauna on the mining station its better to try and kite it away and/or sacrifice yourself so it doesn't get back to the station.

With that being said, i'm going to lower this ban to 7 days.
Yes, but setting off a bomb involves the instigation of something inherently dangerous. I didn't let Legion out of his little house up north. Before this, I didn't know anything about Legion. Like I mentioned, I saw the player-controlled minebot chipping away at it as it led it further south trying to flee from it. I saw the healthbar going down and thought the minebot was going to kill it. I had not even looked into the nature of what Legion was because I have next to no interest in fighting megafauna. I consider it a waste of time. I didn't manufacture this situation, and the situation I was presented with was totally beyond my depth. My knowledge of Legion went as far as knowing it was a big skull and hearing about miners trying to fight it during previous shifts. I didn't manufacture and set off the bomb, here. A bomb was thrown at me. I wasn't even the one who aggro'd the fucking thing in what set that whole shit show off.

I mean, hell. Despite me warning everyone it was at Arrivals you had the AI going off immediately after about how people were throwing themselves at the damn thing. So I'm paying for their arrogance in addition to my own error. I'm paying for them swinging their dicks around and guiding it away from Arrivals. Maybe the fucking shuttle shouldn't even lift off if there's a god-damned megafauna on it unless the fucking computer is emagged.

If I'm paying for this, then Medical should all be banned any time someone sneaks in and makes a dozen bombs with the chem dispensers. Or Engineering should be banned any time they fail to contain the supermatter. Or Medical should be banned any time they mishandle bodies and leave a pile of active souls strewn around the cloner for an hour. And Security should be banned any time they decide to be a jackbooted gang instead of being station security. And the Captain should be banned any time they use the station announcement system to spout retarded shit instead of using it to bring awareness regarding emerging situations. These all lead to deaths. I've played shifts where 9/10 people died because the CMO didn't know what virology was amidst a fungal TB epidemic. And I've watched the entire server die entirely because nobody takes things seriously until they're personally dying from it. Where does accountability end, then? Where's the magic line? Because if I'm taking the hammer for my actions inadvertently causing deaths, then what's the penalty for gross negligence leading to 65/70 people dying?

The answer you're going to give me is that "that's just the game". And guess what? You're right. The server even has a rule about it.
RULE 10. Losing is part of the game.
Your character will frequently die, sometimes without even a possibility of avoiding it. Events will often be out of your control. No matter how good or prepared you are, sometimes you just lose.
If the rules were taken seriously, I'd be protected by Rule 10. Because the only counter argument is Rule 1. In fact, the terms of this ban seem to be based on Rule 1, Precedent 1.
Random murders are not acceptable nor is the killing of other players for poor or little reasoning such as ‘My character is insane’. Each unjustified kill is normally met with one 24 ban.
Which would require it to have been my INTENT for Legion to get onboard the station and kill people. Which it was not, by your own testimony. There is no rule regarding freak accidents being the responsibility of those involved. So no, I didn't break any of the server rules. Because the rule I'm being charged with breaking is one pertaining to murder. It is clearly stated to be one pertaining to being a homicidal dick without being an antag.
kiteme
Byond Username: Kiteme

Post by kiteme » #522392

yea, I think I got this one wrong.
At the time I didn't really consider your intent and I did what was done in similar situations of megafauna being brought to the situation. My bad.
I've lifted the ban.
Spoiler:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #523441

Looks resolved.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg