[FloranOtten] Deepwoods - Why was I banned for this?

Appeals which have been closed.
Deepwoods
Byond Username: Deepwoods

[FloranOtten] Deepwoods - Why was I banned for this?

Post by Deepwoods » #524059

BYOND account: Deepwoods
Character name: William Moore
Ban type: Server
Ban length: 2 days
Ban reason: As a chaplain, beat someone into hardcrit for hitting his office window with a chair. Dragged them to medical, and when medical failed to revive them, sharded the body. When the shade told them to go fuck themselves, spaced the shard.
Time ban was placed: 2019-11-16 22:03:22
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed: 123671
Your side of the story: I heard banging on my window. Went to see what it was. Found them bashing my confessional window in with a chair. Asked them "Why?". They brushed me off and continued hitting the window. I smacked them into crit with the null rod and started dragging them to medical. They died on the way, because the null rod is more robust a weapon than I'm used to. (EDIT: They ghosted and died of their own volition en route, as I've been made aware of.) The CMO tried to revive them three times, with them refusing to be revived via the defibrillator after the first try. They ghosted as I tried to give them CPR and then refused further revivals, not out of bodily damage but by the unwillingness to be revived. The CMO proceeded to drag them to the morgue, so I sharded them to keep them in case they came back and wanted me to make them a positronic or something. They started understandably shit-talking me. I asked them why they didn't accept the defib. They said they'd kill me if they were revived. I then sighed and lamented them grey tiding. They then told me to go fuck myself. So I then decided to throw the shard out of the airlock, because they had made it obvious they didn't want to be revived and that their plans for if they were revived were to come after me.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I'm uncertain what I should've done differently in that situation. I tried to get them revived. They refused. They then threatened and insulted me when I tried to make a gesture to ensure they wouldn't get stuck in the morgue.

Looking back on it, maybe I was too heavy-handed. But I didn't want them to die. I tried to help revive them. Pitching the shard holding their soul after the fact out of the airlock was admittedly me being a bit pissed off when they started insulting me, and to be honest I think I was pissed because the CMO had put some work in to revive them only for them to spit on that. And it all just welled up.
Last edited by Deepwoods on Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Re: [FloranOtten] Deepwoods - Why was I banned for this?

Post by skoglol » #524068

Round 123671

https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/ter ... attack.txt

Dude attacks the window with a chair, most of them snipped out

Code: Select all

[2019-11-14 21:38:56.323] ATTACK: Srg.Mccool/(Eius-Teeka) has attacked [tinted window] with the chair (Chapel Office (87, 74, 2))
[2019-11-14 21:38:57.235] ATTACK: Srg.Mccool/(Eius-Teeka) has attacked [tinted window] with the chair (Chapel Office (87, 74, 2))
[2019-11-14 21:38:58.207] ATTACK: Srg.Mccool/(Eius-Teeka) has attacked [tinted window] with the chair (Chapel Office (87, 74, 2))
[2019-11-14 21:38:59.080] ATTACK: Srg.Mccool/(Eius-Teeka) has attacked [tinted window] with the chair (Chapel Office (87, 74, 2))
[2019-11-14 21:38:59.901] ATTACK: Srg.Mccool/(Eius-Teeka) has attacked [tinted window] with the chair (Chapel Office (87, 74, 2))
The fight took place in chapel. Heres the last hit:

[2019-11-14 21:39:48.519] ATTACK: Deepwoods/(William Moore) has attacked Srg.Mccool/(Eius-Teeka) with null rod (INTENT: HARM) (DAMTYPE: BRUTE) (NEWHP: -76.2)  (Chapel (90, 73, 2))
In the hallway on the way to medbay, the victim succumbs manually using the verb.

[2019-11-14 21:40:02.553] ATTACK: Srg.Mccool/(Eius-Teeka) Has succumbed to death while in hard critical with -82.8 points of health! (Aft Primary Hallway (106, 87, 2))
Dude chose to succumb and leave the round, and declined to get revived. This shouldn't be a ban, valid escalation.
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #524072

Iirc, as of some rule 1 precedent, you are allowed to fight people who smash up shit or shit up things in your workplace. With the chapel office being the chaplains workplace

mod edit: you ought to be more specific when citing rules to avoid your post lookin like a peanut post (this post was reported as such) but yeah Rule 1 Precedent 6 is probably a tiny bit relevant here
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #524141

I'll lower this ban by a day.

I made a mistake. I missed the part where he succumbed. That makes the kill entirely valid. What isn't valid, though, is sharding someone you had a conflict with earlier. Even if they refused revival, sharding them removed any chance of cloning or borging. Sure, chances are they will not come back. This doesn't excuse sharding. An SSD player that has been braindead for the last hour will not return. We all know it. You're still not allowed to kill them, though. Beyond that, the worst part of this would be the fact that you proceeded to space said shard for being rude. The effect is the same as being cremated. This is why I decided to ban you instead of warning you about this.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #525215

As correct as Reyn is, there is definitely a line between incited violence and permanent round removal. This incident definitely crosses that line.