Appeals which have been closed.
the lovely pyro

[Nervere] <The Lovely Pyro> Pikachu Spoiler

Post by the lovely pyro » #529825

BYOND account: The Lovely Pyro

Character name: Bal Dee

Ban type: Server Ban

Ban length: Permanent

Ban reason: "On first round back from permaban, used captain's announcement to spoil the plot to Detective Pikachu, a recently released movie, for about 80 people currently on the server. Lied in ahelps and said they weren't actually real, but after confirming with someone who saw it the next day, it was more or less accurate. You haven't changed."

Time ban was placed: 2019-05-16 / 15:39:48

Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil.

Round ID in which ban was placed: 108544

Your side of the story: I had recently been unbanned and I was unaware at the time that the prior mods had made it a rule about posting movies because of the Avengers release. As the round was in the midst of evacuation I posted it and then went on about the game normally before being contacted by the head admin.

Why you think you should be unbanned: As I had said, I was not aware of the change in rules that you were not allowed to reveal movies, in regards to the "lying" I had said that the spoilers weren't real because I had gotten them spammed at me at the time and was going by word of mouth over whether or not the leaks were actually true, irresponsible but that's my reasoning so I understand if it's considered dumb. I also had made sure to not violate any other rules such as meta gaming, murder boning, grey tiding or antagging people. I also thought it was rather excessive to issue me a permaban over a movie, though I understood that my prior perma ban had a rather bad history. I won't excuse that, but if I am given an appeal I do not plan on doing much beyond playing the game normally whenever I have free time.
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: [Nervere] <The Lovely Pyro> Pikachu Spoiler

Post by Karp » #531144

just an FYI, people get banned under rule 1 reasoning for doing things like that. Posting spoilers to ruin things for other people is a dick move and is why we punish that stuff. It looks like you somewhat understand that. In general, permabans can be a fall back default ban length for rule 1 violations and they generally get lowered on appeal. You've already served a 7 month ban so I'm willing to unban you now, but remember the above in the future.

FYI, don't do dumb things like that immediately after being un permabanned.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: [Nervere] <The Lovely Pyro> Pikachu Spoiler

Post by Nervere » #531381

>"I wasn't aware there was a rule against it"
You're still fundamentally misunderstanding what was wrong.
Rules do not operate off of listing every possible scenario and whether or not it's against the rules... they're generalized.
By spoiling a recently-released movie, you broke rule 1 really badly, and right after a permaban, too! If you don't understand that spoiling a big cinematic release is a dick move, how can you be trusted to not break the rules again?
Karp has unbanned you, but just as a general word of advice, please be careful.