[Ispiria] Rottenlord - metacommunication ban

Appeals which have been closed.
phil
Byond Username: Spadedtoad

[Ispiria] Rottenlord - metacommunication ban

Post by phil » #537065

BYOND account: Currently Spadedtoad, but I had one called Rottenlord at the time. Forgot the password for that account so I made a new one this year.
Character name: Can't remember, the ban was applied some time ago.
Ban type: Server/OOC
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason:
Time ban was placed: 2018-12-10
Server you were playing on when banned: Bagil or Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 98367
Your side of the story: Somebody I used to hang out with pressured me and a couple other people into joining multiple SS13 servers to generally grief in order to get a cheap laugh out of other people's misfortune. Admins quickly caught onto this and banned everyone in the offending party.
Why you think you should be unbanned: This took place back when I hadn't had any real experience with the game, and wasn't a regular player that actively enjoys the game. I didn't really have a lot of knowledge about SS13 other than you can do some ridiculous things in it, and only installed it out of curiosity. I only followed along with the whole frivolous raid idea because I didn't want to get banned from the discord server that had all my friends at the time, even though the server owner was a chump who got his kicks from raiding game servers. The ban I received was 100% justified, but I have since ceased associating myself with these people and got truly invested in the game since my ban from /tg/. It has been well over a year since I was banned, but I have played on various servers since and got a good handle on all the jobs and game mechanics, as well as an adherence to server rules.
References of good conduct: Various servers. I don't really stick to a single server all that much.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Re: [Ispiria] Rottenlord - metacommunication ban

Post by Ispiria » #537069

So generally it's a rare thing that a metacomming ban is lifted, since it's one of the few ways to actually "cheat" at the game and is super unfair for everyone else. That being said, I do remember this incident fairly clearly, and don't recall any major harm being done to the round - as I recall it was mostly the ten of you shouting some stupid in-joke over radio. Nothing super impactful, but metacomming is still a no-no, hence why you all got the boot.

That said, since you were the only one among your group with any significant playtime and it's been quite a while since the ban was placed, I'm willing to allow you to rejoin us so long as you keep in mind why this ban hit you and don't do anything stupid like that again. You can use the new ckey Spadedtoad and leave the old one, confirmed as Rottenlord, permabanned since we don't allow multiple ckeys per user anyway. I'll attach a note to Spadedtoad linking it to Rottenlord as well as to this thread so if any other admins notice you're the same person they'll understand what's up.

For the record, the other people involved in the raid will remain banned (as is typical of metacomm cases), but given they each had less than a dozen connections apiece I doubt that'll be much of a problem.
phil

Post by phil » #537076

Ispiria wrote:So generally it's a rare thing that a metacomming ban is lifted, since it's one of the few ways to actually "cheat" at the game and is super unfair for everyone else. That being said, I do remember this incident fairly clearly, and don't recall any major harm being done to the round - as I recall it was mostly the ten of you shouting some stupid in-joke over radio. Nothing super impactful, but metacomming is still a no-no, hence why you all got the boot.

That said, since you were the only one among your group with any significant playtime and it's been quite a while since the ban was placed, I'm willing to allow you to rejoin us so long as you keep in mind why this ban hit you and don't do anything stupid like that again. You can use the new ckey Spadedtoad and leave the old one, confirmed as Rottenlord, permabanned since we don't allow multiple ckeys per user anyway. I'll attach a note to Spadedtoad linking it to Rottenlord as well as to this thread so if any other admins notice you're the same person they'll understand what's up.

For the record, the other people involved in the raid will remain banned (as is typical of metacomm cases), but given they each had less than a dozen connections apiece I doubt that'll be much of a problem.
Thanks for the unban, it means a lot to me! I won't be doing anything like that noise again. Sorry again for all the trouble dogg.
phil

Post by phil » #537106

I just got back home and I keep getting the ban message. Does the ban apply to my IP or anything like that?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #537108

both cid and ip still match probably.

ispiria you need to lift the original perma and apply a ckey only perma to the rottenlord account.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #537132

Should be taken care of now, thanks for the help oranges!

Sorry for the delay, try logging in now, if it still doesn't work I may have an admin with a bit more banning experience step in to handle this.