Byond Username: Swept

[Discord] Swept

Post by Swept » #538184

Discord username: <Swept#2000>
Commonly used names: <>
Banning admin: <Discord Moderator>
Ban reason: <Edginess? (Undisclosed)>
Time ban was placed: <12:42PM 1/30/2020>
Your side of the story: <We had a discussion in general about creating explosives that an admin was even participating in and who linked a video on youtube about explosive production. I was participating in the discussion and linked some old pdfs about diy explosives I found on wikipedia. Discussion ended and I thought all was good. Was in the vc 5 minutes later and got banned. I was streaming nuclear throne and literally thought I got banned for playing frog. >
Why you think you should be unbanned: <I didn't see anything wrong with the discussion apart from its edginess, and got no prior warnings or messages from the admins that were participating in the chat. >
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Re: [Discord] Swept

Post by FloranOtten » #538186

Banning admin was Jcll#0001.

And ban reason was 'Posting bombmaking guide in discord. Permaban.'
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Swept

Post by Swept » #538455

Bumping with the exact article I obtained the files from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomb-maki ... e_Internet
jcll
Byond Username: Jcll
Github Username: jcll

Post by jcll » #538539

Banned under "8: Anything that is against the Discord ToS or that will make Discord mad at us is not allowed."

Discussion of the topic on discord is fine, but posting direct guides on how to make explosives crosses a line, and due to how discord has handled things in the past, it puts our server at risk.

Leaving this ban for head admin review due to the nature of the ban and the content that was posted

Swept

Post by Swept » #538557

Ok I know i'm splitting some pretty big hairs here but posting instructions on how to make explosives is not technically against Discord's TOS, although again I understand completely how it could have been viewed as such.

In Discord's TOS and Community Guidelines, the only rule I could find that might prohibit the posting of explosives guides is
engage in conduct that is fraudulent or illegal or otherwise harmful to Discord or any other user;
However in the USA were I currently reside, it is not technically illegal to distribute instructions on how to make explosives online, as long as it is not specifically meant for harm or mass production of said explosives.

The context to me posting those guides on how to make explosives is that I was having a discussion with several other community members, and thought the guides would be relevant reading. I did not intend the guides to be used in an illegal or harmful way.

Again, I don't claim to be a saint on discord but I thought what I was posting was relevant to the discussion I was taking part in. I do understand that posting it would make any admin or moderator double-take and I don't blame jcll for reacting the way he/she/they did.

I obtained most of my basis for this argument from the very Wikipedia article I obtained the guides in question from.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomb-maki ... e_Internet
jcll
Byond Username: Jcll
Github Username: jcll

Post by jcll » #538560

Honestly, thank you for the extremely mature post. I am pretty sure now you were not trying to cause harm by posting it. And you understand the strong reaction I had in seeing it posted.

Due to this, I am going to unban you now. But please be careful about the content you post in the future since discord is a bit trigger happy about shutting down servers when people post dumb things.
Swept

Post by Swept » #538570

jcll wrote:Honestly, thank you for the extremely mature post. I am pretty sure now you were not trying to cause harm by posting it. And you understand the strong reaction I had in seeing it posted.

Due to this, I am going to unban you now. But please be careful about the content you post in the future since discord is a bit trigger happy about shutting down servers when people post dumb things.
Thanks.