spicy fly
Byond Username: Spicy fly

[Bgobandit] Spicy fly - Appearance Ban

Post by spicy fly » #567215

BYOND account: Spicy fly

Character name: Mecha Five-Star

Ban type: Appearance Ban

Ban length: Permanent

Ban reason: Refused to change his name from "Mecha Five-Star." Was argumentative in adminhelps and does not appear to understand why this is a problem.

Time ban was placed: 5:08 PM May 6, 2020

Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel

Round ID in which ban was placed: 136457

Your side of the story: One of my first rounds playing Manuel, I had been using a character named Mecha Five-Star for a couple years now. Bgo messaged me at round start and told me to change my name because it was against the rules instead of just messaging me at the end of the round, where I would've kindly changed my name. We got into what I would call a light debate, argumentative would be pushing it, and I told him I wasn't going to change my name, I really just didn't want to be on that server anymore. Attachments included.
Attachments
Rounds played as character
Rounds played as character
message.txt
Conversation with BGO
(5.23 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Rounds played on Manuel
Rounds played on Manuel
Ridiculous names 3
Ridiculous names 3
Ridiculous names 2
Ridiculous names 2
Ridiculous names 1
Ridiculous names 1
crew manifest.PNG (10.17 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
spicy fly

Re: [Bgobandit] Spicy fly - Appearance Ban

Post by spicy fly » #568418

It’s been nearly two weeks and the silence is deafening.....
TarlockGod
Byond Username: TarlockGod

Post by TarlockGod » #568655

The admin who banned you hasnt logged into the forum for nearly a month now, but its strange no other admin answered yet.
spicy fly

Post by spicy fly » #568658

Interesting, thanks for the info! Figured forum service was part of the gig.
TarlockGod
Byond Username: TarlockGod

Post by TarlockGod » #568665

I just read the Ban appeal rules, and it says:

8. If a thread goes for a week with no activity it will be resolved. If you don't want your thread to go unresolved because of a lack of response then notify admins for a response.

I guess you could try shooting bandit a PM, or any other admin since he hasnt been online here in a month
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #568667

bandit was pinged regarding this, if they dont answer by the end of the week i will.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #568671

which race were you playing? mecha doesnt sound like a human name but its fine for lizardmen
spicy fly

Post by spicy fly » #568676

I was human, although that’s not really relevant to the appeal. My main issue is the lack of enforcing consistency. My images of the Crew Manifest should bring some enlightenment in that regard. If other admins didn’t have an issue with it on Bagil or Sybil for 89 rounds then there’s a bigger issue at hand. Like I stated in my ahelps, if I can interact with admins and they don’t see an issue with my name prior to my experience with BGO, then it seems it’s more of an opinionated ruling.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #568682

spicy fly wrote:I was human, although that’s not really relevant to the appeal. My main issue is the lack of enforcing consistency. My images of the Crew Manifest should bring some enlightenment in that regard. If other admins didn’t have an issue with it on Bagil or Sybil for 89 rounds then there’s a bigger issue at hand. Like I stated in my ahelps, if I can interact with admins and they don’t see an issue with my name prior to my experience with BGO, then it seems it’s more of an opinionated ruling.
89 rounds really isn't a lot, and it's not justification for the name being okay. This kind of argument pops up frequently.
spicy fly

Post by spicy fly » #568688

RaveRadbury wrote:
spicy fly wrote:I was human, although that’s not really relevant to the appeal. My main issue is the lack of enforcing consistency. My images of the Crew Manifest should bring some enlightenment in that regard. If other admins didn’t have an issue with it on Bagil or Sybil for 89 rounds then there’s a bigger issue at hand. Like I stated in my ahelps, if I can interact with admins and they don’t see an issue with my name prior to my experience with BGO, then it seems it’s more of an opinionated ruling.
89 rounds really isn't a lot, and it's not justification for the name being okay. This kind of argument pops up frequently.
My reference wasn’t aimed at justification, and this take is very shortsighted. The last sentence in my post is the issue. A permanent appearance ban for something seemingly trivial and opinionated. If you have multiple people in the server with names like “Gil Taintslip”, “Zero Machina”, etc. and a hyphen sounds your alarm there’s an issue. There’s a plethora of valid points that can be attributed to this argument, but my main issue is consistency and enforcing a rule that again is seemingly trivial and opinionated.

Also this appeal isn’t a matter of my ban being justified or not. It’s an appeal to be unbanned.
Last edited by spicy fly on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #568698

If we allow Behemoth, Nix, Zero Machina, Fluffy Fluf, Mike Mischief and Jack Huntington the Third, then Mecha Five-Star should be fine. Jack Huntington the Third actually is explicitly disallowed under current naming policy so not sure why bandit went after you instead of him.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #568700

BeeSting12 wrote:If we allow Behemoth, Nix, Zero Machina, Fluffy Fluf, Mike Mischief and Jack Huntington the Third, then Mecha Five-Star should be fine. Jack Huntington the Third actually is explicitly disallowed under current naming policy so not sure why bandit went after you instead of him.

There is a long, long running precedent that neither "Nobody caught me breaking the rules before now" nor "The admin missed someone else who was breaking the rules at the same time!" are defenses.

Also "Fluffy Fluf" is a moth name, which have caused issues in the past because the creator was too busy going "mothmothmothmoth" to think of an actual name policy so its a lawless wild west of bad joke names.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
spicy fly

Post by spicy fly » #568701

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:If we allow Behemoth, Nix, Zero Machina, Fluffy Fluf, Mike Mischief and Jack Huntington the Third, then Mecha Five-Star should be fine. Jack Huntington the Third actually is explicitly disallowed under current naming policy so not sure why bandit went after you instead of him.

There is a long, long running precedent that neither "Nobody caught me breaking the rules before now" nor "The admin missed someone else who was breaking the rules at the same time!" are defenses.

Also "Fluffy Fluf" is a moth name, which have caused issues in the past because the creator was too busy going "mothmothmothmoth" to think of an actual name policy so its a lawless wild west of bad joke names.
And neither are applicable here, see my response to Rave. Again im not proposing justification or attempting to argue that I didn’t break any rules because that’s redundant. I’m appearance banned for debating a very legitimate issue, and I wish to be unbanned. I know the rules and my main concern is the lack of consistency in enforcing this rule. Also insinuating i’ve been dodging the rule or shifting the attention towards others would be discrediting my entire point.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #568919

said this in adminbus but it's only fair to say it here, I'm recusing myself from this, for unrelated reasons
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #568936

Mecha Five-Star is not the kind of name a human would have, its too strange. Much more fitting for something like a silicon. If you’re willing to agree to choose a more appropriate name in the future, I’m willing to lift this ban.
spicy fly

Post by spicy fly » #568944

Coconutwarrior97 wrote:Mecha Five-Star is not the kind of name a human would have, its too strange. Much more fitting for something like a silicon. If you’re willing to agree to choose a more appropriate name in the future, I’m willing to lift this ban.
Agreed, in return for an example of what’s strange and what isn’t. It’s not that I wish to be argumentative, given the names on the server at the time, I simply don’t understand what is considered acceptable.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #568947

spicy fly wrote:
Coconutwarrior97 wrote:Mecha Five-Star is not the kind of name a human would have, its too strange. Much more fitting for something like a silicon. If you’re willing to agree to choose a more appropriate name in the future, I’m willing to lift this ban.
Agreed, in return for an example of what’s strange and what isn’t. It’s not that I wish to be argumentative, given the names on the server at the time, I simply don’t understand what is considered acceptable.
It has been agreeable between most admins that you are more than welcome to adminhelp or to post in discord tagging an admin to ask them if your name is appropriate.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
spicy fly

Post by spicy fly » #568949

Vekter wrote:
spicy fly wrote:
It has been agreeable between most admins that you are more than welcome to adminhelp or to post in discord tagging an admin to ask them if your name is appropriate.
Understood, but for the sake of simplicity given the names in the manifest, are all of those names valid examples of appropriate? (Aside from my own)
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #569109

The names that beesting brought up are ones that I'd say violate the policy, notable exception begin the names of other races like moth/lizard which are a bit trickier. I'm not going to hunt people down, scrolling through the player list to see if I can nab someone for a bad name but if I notice them I will take action. Since you've agreed to choose a more appropriate name in the future I'll go ahead and unban you, and mark this resolved.