BYOND account: Qfmysteryman23
Character name: Cleans-His-Ass/Hamoud al-habibi
Ban type: server ban
Ban length: 2 weeks

Ban reason: Image

Time ban was placed: 11/5/2020

Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil

Round ID in which ban was placed: 149766

Your side of the story: So I was doing an Islamic gimmick and I turned the station into an Islamic state, I made the AI law so that the AI wouldn't get in the way of the roleplay in case we had to murder a traitor. I've done this gimick in the past and even if we dont do anything, some crew members get pissed that they cant drink alcohol and then they go and maxcap the bridge. This is really dumb because Ive seen other captains do the same shit and not get in trouble, but usually its them uploading laws saying "Kill all lizards" or something. But since it's funny for the admins or something I guess its ok. I also honestly think the secret rule applies here because the majority of the people on the server thought it was funny as well as fun. The only people who didn't were the ones who got killed by crew members(not me). The only person I personally had a hand in the killing(who wasn't a cultist) was the clown, who I told to convert to Islam and he wouldnt, so the crew and I lynched him. I will agree that this was a shitty move, but in the moment it was literally some of the best roleplay ever seen on Sybil.

Why you think you should be unbanned: The only real rule I broke was killing a non-antag for a dumb reason. But even then that can be fixed extremely easily. I would also like to point out that it is extremely unfair that the player Ricky Morty only recieve a 2 day ban for exploiting by sending messages that crashed people games, while I get two weeks for imposing shariah law on the station.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Re: [Phuzzylodgic]Qfmysteryman23-Islamic Gimmick

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #580929

qfmysteryman23 wrote:I made the AI law so that the AI wouldn't get in the way of the roleplay in case we had to murder a traitor.
Nope:

Code: Select all

1. Captain Hamoud is the most devout muslim on the station, follow his orders and protect him with your life
2. The crew must follow shariah law, no drinking alcohol, no swearing, and all women must cover their hair to show modesty
3. Only protect crew members who submit to Allah
4. People who do not follow the way of Islam are considered kafir's and if they do not convert to islam they must be put to death
qfmysteryman23 wrote:This is really dumb because Ive seen other captains do the same shit and not get in trouble, but usually its them uploading laws saying "Kill all lizards" or something.
Players get banned for uploading "Kill all $RACE" laws all the time.
qfmysteryman23 wrote:I also honestly think the secret rule applies here
You haven't banked anywhere near the amount of good-faith playtime that's required to invoke the secret rule. Not even close. Not by a long shot. Not by a country mile.
qfmysteryman23 wrote:the majority of the people on the server thought it was funny as well as fun
The people who were killed and had their rounds abruptly ended as a result of your actions would strongly disagree with this statement.
qfmysteryman23 wrote:I would also like to point out that it is extremely unfair that the player Ricky Morty only recieve a 2 day ban for exploiting by sending messages that crashed people games, while I get two weeks for imposing shariah law on the station.
You're getting two weeks because you uploaded lethal laws to the AI two days out from a department head roleban.
You're getting two weeks because you did so while currenly silicon banned.
You're getting two weeks because this is the seventh time you've caught a ban in the last 30 days.
You're getting two weeks because you've thoroughly demonstrated that you don't care about our rules.
You're getting two weeks because you don't give a shit about how your actions affect the rounds of others.

This appeal is denied.

Please review our rules during your time off.
TheMidnghtRose
Byond Username: TheMidnightRose

Post by TheMidnghtRose » #580940

qfmysteryman23 wrote: I also honestly think the secret rule applies here because the majority of the people on the server thought it was funny as well as fun.
Though Phuzzy has denied the appeal, I would like to point out the first thing that The Secret Rule states.
The Secret Rule
For experienced users only. Don't quote these at admins. If you're in a position where you need to defend yourself using this, you've done something wrong. This is about the personal freedom and responsibility an experienced player will have when they have the interests of others first.
Emerald Gleaner -/Roboticist/Replica AI Series
qfmysteryman23
Byond Username: Qfmysteryman23

Post by qfmysteryman23 » #580970

Look I understand that I went too far with the gimmick, but I only unjustly killed one person and I am sorry about that.
Anyone else who got killed was not done by me and was instead done by greytiders looking for a reason to kill moths or something. I said in-game "All creatures are equal in the eyes of Allah" and thus they should be held accountable, I specifically said not to kill non-humans. And no, people don't get in trouble for that all the time, because it happens almost every day and I then see the same person who uploaded the laws not get banned, and I know that because they are still in the fucking game the next round and the round after that. I would also agree that I should recieve some sorta ban from silicon from what I did as a borg on a nukie round, but tbf the 2 week thing was kinda unfair. I admitted that I broke the rule and I explained why to BrotherByond. If he didn't tell you why I did it then I'll tell you now.

So as a cyborg on a nukie round I was trying to heal people while nukies came and killed everyone, I constantly begged for people to change my laws but no one would. As I was healing a person a nukie came and killed my patient and I panicked and just went Ape mode on him. I regret doing it, but in the moment my fight or flight instincts kicked in and I picked to fight. You cant tell me that you have never made a mistake in the heat of the moment, especially in a stressful situation.

I would still also like to point out the fact that I got a 2 week ban from the game for my rule break which could easily be fixed by just talking to me like a human, while Ricky Morty gets a 2 day ban for doing something that most often instantly perma bans with out the chance to appeal.
qfmysteryman23
Byond Username: Qfmysteryman23

Post by qfmysteryman23 » #580982

Also, please for the love of god please do not clsoe this thread
Zack
Byond Username: Zack The Zapper

Post by Zack » #581000

sorry if this is peanut or not but I was the AI for this round and the lawset explicitly required I kill people who did not "submit to Allah" which ended up including a fair amount of people who weren't interested in the bit up to and including the 2 prisoners in permabrig who, other than breaking some of the stuff in perma, did absolutely nothing wrong that round.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #581280

I have no intention of shortening the length of this ban.

As Zack's (non-peanut) post so helpfully illustrates, we hold players responsible for the "indirect" consequences that result from their actions.

You did not, in fact, "only unjustly kill one person."

When silicons kill members of the crew in compliance with the laws that you uploaded, you are responsible for those deaths.

When you work the crew into a bloodthirsty frenzy by promoting a holy war gimmick as the captain, your hands wind up just as red at the end of the round as those belonging to the mob.

As for why another player received a two day ban for something they did and you received two weeks for this, I would direct you again to my previous post.

Headmins, as always, are welcome to overrule.