Appeals which have been closed.
Byond Username: 1210a

[Zxaber] 1210a- Server, sillicon ban

Post by 1210 » #585309

BYOND account: 1210a
Character name: Mr Roboto
Ban type: Server/Role
Ban length: Week/Month
Ban reason: Week server ban, month silicon ban -- Used the law "Yeah go do whatever" as justification to plasma flood the station, killing several people. Maintained the option that this law fully allowed a plasma flood and that it was the uploader's fault. You already have a ban on record for this (abet the last time was while Asimov). I don't think you've gotten the hint, though. Please go read silicon policy this time, don't just be "aware" of it.
Time ban was placed: 2020-12-27 15:07:20
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 153009
Your side of the story: Playing as Sillicon, laws were purged and then a freeform law was added "Yeah go do whatever" at around minute 90, several minutes before the shuttle came. I proceeded to flood the station.
Why you think you should be unbanned: It is the same argument I gave the admin. I do not consider my actions to be in breach of my law. Someone, triggered by the shuttle call, decided to purge all sillicons and upload a freeform law "yeah go do whatever". I see it as the freedom to "do whatever you want with no constrictions". At that point of the shift, 90 quiet minutes in with 6 minutes to the shuttle I decided to flood plasma. I do not see it as a surprise or going against my laws. The uploader with a purge and freeform card knew what he was doing and the ramifications are his responsibilities, which of course only an antagonist should be doing in the first place (for this exact reason). The admin contested that with two main points:

1) Do not factor the law; you're basically just purged with no laws, and a silicon with no laws is a regular crewmember and loyal employee of nanostation.
2) Free golems are apparently given something similar with "do whatever" and are not antagonists. It is an established tradition.

To the first point I say, I generally agree that purged borgs with no laws are not given a free reign to nuke the station. If someone bullies them I guess with escalation they can kill a person. Personally, as a purged silicon I revert to Asimov regardless of my previous lawset. But with the combined freeform law and status of the shift I decided it was proper to add chaos in the last minutes. I consider myself NOT purged, and was acting in accordance with the law which I interpreted as "Do whatever you want", which I did. I do not accept the comparison to non-antagonist humanoid crewmembers as they have their own starting text background laws of being loyal employees, workers of their departments, answering to those above them in the chain of command, etc.

Regarding the second point, I am unfamiliar with free golems. I do not play free golems and cannot make a connection to said "tradition" as the admin put it. I consider this issue related to silicon policy only and unrelated to golems. If golems are given a similar law at birth I think it is a different matter entirely as I think free golems exist sort of outside the round to give ghosts something to do without drastic meddling in the station. That's why I wouldn't go antagonist as a free golem with the same law. But again, I never played golems and I can't make a connection to such a separate aspect of the game.

Another point the admin made was referencing a previous ban as justification in which as asimov I added plasma to distro in order to kill giant spiders that were taking over the station. Back then I did not know the atmos mechanics very well and thought I could control where plasma goes in each room, infected or inhabited by humans, via the air alarms. I was apologetic, I undid a genuine mistake out of ignorance, and removed plasma from distro and the station before the end of the shift.

I consider myself a good and helpful Asimov borg, which I play almost exclusively. I find myself usually picking the roles necessary the most for a productive shift, aiming for the least staffed department, either bringing the SM online or players back to life in medbay. I consider myself loyal to my laws and generally try to bring ghosts back to the shift in various ways, from standard revivals to posi brains, to bringing attention to beeping PAIs who want to be turned on.

If the consensus is that borgs cannot perform antagonist actions unless their laws specifically demand it, rather than simply give the freedom to do so, then I will take it to heart henceforth, and request that the ban be removed.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: [Zxaber] 1210a- Server, sillicon ban

Post by zxaber » #585311

The crux of the issue seems to be "is the law 'Yeah go do whatever' actually purged, and if not can I use it to justify plasma flooding the station".

I personally cannot see how "Yeah go do whatever" is anything but a (somewhat) creatively-worded purge law. But aside from that, I'm going to cite the Ambiguous Laws section of Silicon Policy;
Ambiguous Laws wrote: 2. Server Rule 1: "Don't be a dick out of character" applies for law interpretation. Act in good faith to not ruin a round for other players unprompted.
I maintain that you were effectively purged. But even were the law not considered to be a purge law, it would be ambiguous, and thus subject to this rule.

If a non-silicon player were to break Server Rule 1 and plasma flood the station, I'd have banned them as I did you, with an additional ban for any role that they might have had abused to gain access to atmos. It would be unfair to carbon players if silicon players were not held to at least the same standard, and would be equally unfair to the players whom your actions affected if you were not held to these standards. Outside headmin intervention, appeal denied.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #585323

It's important to note here that being purged has not been valid justification to go on a murder spree or plasmaflood for a very long time.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Byond Username: 1210a

Post by 1210 » #585370

Upon re-reading the policy including the law you cited, I definitely concede to be in the wrong. See you in a month then.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #585445

We appreciate your understanding. Locking thread.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you