Appeals which have been closed.
mey39

[CoconutWarrior97] Mey39 - Doxxing Drama

Post by mey39 » #618812

BYOND account: Mey39
Character name: -
Ban type: Permanent ban across all platforms
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: "Publicly revealed a community member's age in another discord and went to two separate administrators with this information. While going to administrators to ask questions about the rules like this is perfectly fine, doing so while you've also spread the information publicly reeks of bad faith. Additionally we recently learned they had previously shared another community member's real name publicly prior to this incident
Time ban was placed: 2020-11-03 11:09:40
Server you were playing on when banned: None
Round ID in which ban was placed: 149596
Your side of the story: As you can see by the ban reason, there are 2 parts to this. I will address both, one after the other.

The first one is a long and winding story involving an excessive amount of drama between me and the member in question. To sum it up, I became rather close with this person, very good friends even, we were practically glued to eachother in and out of the game. At a certain point they revealed to me that they were underage, and I immediately cut contact with them for a variety of reasons. After this, I continued to not speak with them for an extended amount of time, with the intent of possibly resuming our friendship at a later date.

However, there was a small amount of drama outside of ss13 related to them that more or less confirmed that this was never going to happen. It was at this point that I brought this information to the admins, rather than keeping it secret, as it broke rule 9 and I previously didnt wish to get them into trouble.

It was at the same time as this, that a discussion happened in another server, a server that was filled with people who knew both myself and the other person in question, and had known something had happened between us. One or more people asked why we quit talking when we were together almost constantly. I replied pretty flatly and said that they were underage, not thinking that this was considered doxing. After more chatting with the admins, I woke up the next day to find myself permabanned. Drama ensues.

As for part 2 of the story, involving the another persons name. This was also a recently made friend from TG, who I had begun chatting with quite a lot and even started playing non-ss13 games with them and their friends. Sometime during this, we casually exchanged names and just went on doing whatever we were doing. At no point was I told they wanted to keep it a secret, and I assumed it was public knowledge (as was mine, at the time).

A while later while chatting in a discord server, they told some joke and I replied with "lol, nice one [name]". This resulted in me being INSTANTLY kicked from the server (by the person in question), and they explained they didnt want me to say their name in public like that. While I didnt entirely understand, I agreed I wouldnt mention it again and we made up and I rejoined shortly after.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I fully admit to the mistakes I have outlined above and I understand why they are not acceptable.

For the first one, my intent on bringing it to the admins was because I simply felt like it was the correct thing to do, now that I no longer felt like it was in good faith to hide it. The real meat of the story here is saying it publicly. My reason for doing that was *purely* to explain the drama that was floating around me and this other person at the time. This was frequently a topic of discussion in this server, and I had always decided to not answer, deciding to keep the secret mainly to protect the other person for a potential ban. This was in no way, shape, or form to dox them, that was entirely unintentional, and I had no intent on releasing this information in a malicious manner. This was clearly a mistake, and one I hope I can prove I have learned from.

As for the second, that one was purely an accident. I referred to my friend by their real name without knowing they did not want me to share. I dont believe that this was made clear to me prior, and I genuinely assumed it was either public knowledge, or they had no issue with being referred to by their real name. Either way, this issue was resolved just after it happened, and while I understand why it might be in my ban reason, I dont believe it is relevant to the discussion.

References of good conduct: I have spent a significant amount of time on Beestation and in their discord server. I have zero notes or bans on the station itself, and very minor notes in the discord server, mainly referring to lewd jokes. Beestation admin Vexylius and former senior admin Naevi have spent a good amount of time around me outside of the game the past year, and I believe they can attest to my character, and how no offenses similar or otherwise to this ban have ever come up.
Vexylius
Byond Username: Vexylius

Re: [CoconutWarrior97] Mey39 - Doxxing Drama

Post by Vexylius » #618818

Hello this is Beestation admin Vexylius™ and I can confirm that the user Mey39 has managed to convince me that he is a decent human being and haven't made any major fuckups on Bee during their stay there. If you have any questions hit me up on discord at Vexylius#1984
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #618874

The banning admin has been informed and knows about your appeal.

Due to the nature of bans for doxxing incidents out-of-game, information isn't neatly contained in the game logs and thus can take some time to dig up again.

As a result, this may take a bit of time to address. Your patience is appreciated.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
mey39

Post by mey39 » #618884

I see. I hope we can discuss this in a way that gives me a chance to defend myself. While looking at previous related bans, its fairly clear that this is taken rather seriously and with very little leeway. I hope we can come to a resolution that is reasonable given the events that took place and context of the situation.

I dont want to be seen as someone who wildly doxxes people over petty drama, when in reality it was a mistake and a misunderstanding. Ive done what I can to prove this isnt the case, and I hope the admin team can see this too.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #619229

However, there was a small amount of drama outside of ss13 related to them that more or less confirmed that this was never going to happen. It was at this point that I brought this information to the admins, rather than keeping it secret
This gives me the impression that you withheld the information from admins while you still believed there was a chance they'd still be your friend in the future. Then once that possibility went out the window you came forward with the information, which is in bad faith and is not the kind of behavior that I think should be encouraged in this community.

I recognize that there is a substantial difference between revealing age and revealing something more critical like someone's address. What stands out to me moreso in this situation is the bad faith acting.
One or more people asked why we quit talking when we were together almost constantly. I replied pretty flatly and said that they were underage, not thinking that this was considered doxing. After more chatting with the admins, I woke up the next day to find myself permabanned. Drama ensues.
► Show Spoiler
Looking over the logs of this conversation I was given at the time I wouldn't categorize your dialogue as you "responding flatly". Frankly it looks to me like you were inviting people to ask you about the situation and then revealed the information when the curious pressed for more info. Akin to a, “You'll never guess what I just learned”.

As for the second incident, it should be the baseline that in an anonymous community you don't share personal information of others without their express consent.

You say,
I fully admit to the mistakes I have outlined above and I understand why they are not acceptable.
Which I think is true for the first incident in regard to doxing, but not really for the scummy behavior there in withholding information while you still thought they would be your friend again; then coming forward when you realized that wouldn’t be the case. As for the second incident, you don't think its relevant to the ban. Revealing someone’s name is much worse than their age and ties into the greater theme here of you sharing personal information too easily. That is extremely relevant.

I think it was a mistake on my part to frame this as a doxing initially, since I don't believe that it was done deliberately with malicious intent in regards to the information publicly shared.
That is the reason I edited the ban reason awhile back,
► Show Spoiler
However, it still concerns me greatly how you've been willing to disclose this information to others so easily. Given you dismissed the second incident as not relevant shows a lack of understanding on your part to me.

Lastly as to the vouch and your history on Bee I asked our headmins to verify it and they informed me that you do not in fact have a clear note history on bee station. As far as conduct in their discord, your conduct there was described as pushing the line.
Which overall that doesn’t have a lot of relevance to this ban imo since it covers primarily your general conduct rather than “How has this person behaved with the personal information of others?”. That being said I won’t be considering this vouch as a reason to unban you.
Quite the opposite in fact given your conduct wasn't good and since it seems to me that you lied about your perfect history on the server.

I don’t think you have a full grasp on why your conduct was bad, and I don’t see much of an indication that your behavior has changed. So barring any big revelations, I'm going to deny this appeal.