Appeals which have been closed.
selcath

[ShelteredFreak] Banned for being in character

Post by selcath » #619306

BYOND account: Selcath
Character name: Braklyn Whytenamee
Ban type: Server ban
Ban length: 3 days
Ban reason: Rule 1 - Attempting to Mass Driver people on Icebox without reason, when questioned, simply responded "my god wills it" and "its an IC reason" - Using IC reason to explain why you are trying to kill people is not something you can do.
Time ban was placed: 03:42:36
Server you were playing on when banned: Basil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 173074
Your side of the story: There I was a humble chaplain serving the unnamed god of space who demands that his followers, I, introduce others to his cold embrace. I was roaming through the halls when I just so happened to stumble upon a wheel chair bound lizard and taking pity upon such a lowly creature I asked them if they would like to meet my lord. The creature is silent so I think it to be simple so I ask again, once again no response as the creature stands there with its eyes glazed over. At this point I did what any god fearing woman would do and prepared the beast to meet the lord. I brought them to the mass driver and it was then that the creature lashed out, attacking my holy instrument with a circular saw. Fearing a demon was in position of this creature I did what a devout follow would do, I carried out my lord's will and sent the simple lizard into my lord's embrace.
Why you think you should be unbanned: My character absolutely had an IC reason to kill the other, and even going by the definition of murder boning which is "killing anyone without justification" there was justification. I was a chaplain following the will of my lord. I was completely in character and followed my religious doctrine to a T. I also asked permission before carrying out my duty.
shelteredfreak
Byond Username: Shelteredfreak

Re: [ShelteredFreak] Banned for being in character

Post by shelteredfreak » #619307

Hi, thanks for taking the time to make an appeal. I have updated the ban reason since you first made this, so I recommend you give it a lookover.
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #619308

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules#Rule_1_Precedents.
Rule 1 Precedents.
1. Random murders are not acceptable nor is the killing of other players for poor or little reasoning such as ‘My character is insane’. Each unjustified kill is normally met with one 24 ban.
shelteredfreak

Post by shelteredfreak » #619309

Altered ban reason: "Rule 1 - Attempted to Mass Driver people on Icebox without reason, when questioned, simply responded "my god wills it" and "its an IC reason" - You can't use RP or IC things like "my character is insane" or "its what my character believes in" to explain why you are trying to kill people, its not something you can do. Appeal this if and when you feel you understand the rules better. (Applied in the round after due to round restart)"

Here is what I have to say about the appeal: You attempted to mass driver an SSD person (into a plasma pool, certain death), and then you used the claim that your religion is why you can do this. Murderboning rules and other such rules applying to murder only apply to antags, you were not an antag. You cannot use a roleplay reason to excuse your actions. And I feel that you rushed to make this appeal without properly reading the ban reason and understanding what I recommend you do before you made an appeal.

This appeal does not say you are sorry for your actions, it only says that you believe you are justified in them when you aren't.

For now, I do not feel that you fully understand what I asked you to do before appealing. I don't feel you are taking this ban seriously. I do not believe, at this time, that this ban should be removed.
selcath

Post by selcath » #619311

I feel like you are skipping over the part where I asked the lizard permission.

And looking at Rule 1. on the forum the ban should only be 24 hours not 3 days.
Last edited by selcath on Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
shelteredfreak

Post by shelteredfreak » #619313

selcath wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:27 am I feel like you are skipping over the part where I asked the lizard permission.

And looking at Rule 1. on the forum the ban should only be 24 hours not 3 days.
Asking consent from someone who is not present (SSD), does not mean they consent.
SAY Selcath/(Braklyn Whitename) "Don't move if you consent to being cremated", SAY Selcath/(Braklyn Whitename) "Don't say anything if you would like to go to space"
You can't do this to people who are SSD, it's not okay.

Regarding the question on Rule 1, the ban was extended due to your lack of cooperation in the ahelp. Your hours say you should have a good understanding of the rules to know that things like this aren't allowed, you won't be pardoned for doing this.
selcath

Post by selcath » #619315

shelteredfreak wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:52 am Regarding the question on Rule 1, the ban was extended due to your lack of cooperation in the ahelp.
How was I being uncooperative? I was literally giving my justification for my characters actions.
shelteredfreak

Post by shelteredfreak » #619378

selcath wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:57 am How was I being uncooperative? I was literally giving my justification for my characters actions.
Look, let me lay it down for you. Justifying killing somebody by saying that your character's god wills it is not okay, if we let people give that kind of reasoning to get away with murder there would be no one left on station.

You cannot use RP reasoning like this to excuse your actions, at the bottom line, you are a non-antag killing innocents with no real reason.

I don't feel like you are getting the point here, and my stance on the appeal has yet to change.
selcath

Post by selcath » #619393

shelteredfreak wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:00 pm
selcath wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:57 am How was I being uncooperative? I was literally giving my justification for my characters actions.
Look, let me lay it down for you. Justifying killing somebody by saying that your character's god wills it is not okay, if we let people give that kind of reasoning to get away with murder there would be no one left on station.

You cannot use RP reasoning like this to excuse your actions, at the bottom line, you are a non-antag killing innocents with no real reason.

I don't feel like you are getting the point here, and my stance on the appeal has yet to change.
Okay I understand that. However I do not see how that's me being cooperative with you. You asked me why I did something, I answered why and the justification. I did exactly what you asked, that's like the dictionary definition of cooperative.
shelteredfreak

Post by shelteredfreak » #619403

selcath wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:41 pm Okay I understand that. However I do not see how that's me being cooperative with you. You asked me why I did something, I answered why and the justification. I did exactly what you asked, that's like the dictionary definition of cooperative.
By cooperation I mean acknowledging that your actions were wrong and admitting your mistake, you denied it anyways and that's why the ban was extended.

I do not feel you understand the gravity of your actions and you have failed to see where you messed up.

My stance on this appeal stays the same: No. Period.

If you feel upset with this response, you may request a headmin ruling to fully decide this.

Otherwise you may wait out the ban period and think it out.
selcath

Post by selcath » #619409

shelteredfreak wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:46 am By cooperation I mean acknowledging that your actions were wrong and admitting your mistake, you denied it anyways and that's why the ban was extended.
That's not what acknowledging means but okay. I'm sorry. It's been a hot minute since I played and I screwed up.