anclador
Byond Username: Anclandor

[Vekter] Anclandor - Murderbone

Post by anclador » #620691

BYOND account: Anclandor
Character name: Tori Wetsel
Ban type: Server
Ban length: 3 days
Ban reason: Killed multiple people with a double e-sword on a Manuel lowpop round. Said they did this in order to force-borg one of them (I'm okay with this) but also because there weren't admins on and they wanted to provide some kind of threat. Not a valid reason. Appeal if you want to discuss this further.
Time ban was placed: 18:22:05, 11/26/21
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 173726
Your side of the story: Beginning at the start: I joined round start as a roboticist and got a traitor role. After I had completed my initial set up of robotics, a miner (Quinn Msomething) came in and asked to get augged, I took advantage of them being on my surgical table to force borg and emag them to gain an ally, however, they (quite rudely) wordlessly jumped into space. I ahelped this, but there were no admins on. After evading suspicion about their murder I went SSD for a time to eat lunch. I returned to playing after lunch to try and settle my affairs, because I knew that we were going to be playing a board game as a family soon (some of my siblings came home for the thanksgiving holiday). When I returned to the game, I saw a security officer, Quinn Scott, and the research director in robotics, making a phazon, Quinn Scott had looted my wallet so they could access robotics, and found the miners ID and my emag, but they played it cool because it would have been lame to arrest me. I was going to have to log off soon, and because of my previous ahelp I thought that there were no admins on that could increase the threat level to make up for my inaction (I should have adminwho'ed to make sure, and this was the beginning of the mistakes I made). I didn't want to waste the antag slot by not doing anything with it and leaving the crew and especially security who's job revolves around the presence of bad guys with no conflict, so I (second mistake) thought that I should just use my remaining TC to buy a double e-sword and go out in a blaze of glory. I did so and began hitting the security officer with it. However, I realized as I was doing so that this was just murderboning. As such I attempted to correct my actions somewhat by ceasing my attacks on the security officer and RD, who had done nothing against me, and stepping into sci hallway to attack my target, who was also a scientist (or maybe I just attacked an incredibly unlucky scientist who looked like my target) I killed them and stuck their head in a locker in an attempt to prevent revival and succeed on at least one of my objectives. I then ran to engineering to began to try and steal the blueprints (my other objective), however as I was smashing the door I remembered that I had seen a CE earlier, so I went back to walk the central hallways and hope that they come to valid hunt me and I would be able to take the prints. After a chase and fight with security and borgs I was defeated, I logged off for a couple seconds logged back on, some shenanigans were going on with a borg I emaged during the chase wanting me to be revived. Importantly Vekter contacted me about my earlier ahelp and my conduct this round, I responded to him once on both counts, but logged off after I didn't get any more messages, which was probably my fourth mistake.
Why you think you should be unbanned: Though it might not seem like it, I had the best interests of the other players at heart and I tried to correct my murderbony path. It seems that Vekter got my earlier ahelp mixed up with the banning offence (which was my fault for not remaining online to communicate with them) I am sorry for my conduct, however I would like to ask that the ban be downgraded to a note because of my pure intent, or at the least that the ban message be re-written to clarify the situation, as I did not intend to force borg any of those people (though I suppose that if I had defeated the CE and security I would have tried
to force borg my target well sec was being revived)

References of good conduct: Senior Mentor on CM (not sure it that matters)
Anything else we should know: For the record, I'm not appealing this because I can't not play tg for 3 days, I'm appealing this because I would like to factor less, or less strongly, into any disciplinary action which I may receive in the future
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Vekter] Anclandor - Murderbone

Post by Vekter » #620693

To be honest, your appeal doesn't really show me that you understand why you were banned in the first place.
I joined round start as a roboticist and got a traitor role. After I had completed my initial set up of robotics, a miner (Quinn Msomething) came in and asked to get augged, I took advantage of them being on my surgical table to force borg and emag them to gain an ally, however, they (quite rudely) wordlessly jumped into space. I ahelped this, but there were no admins on.
Like the note says, I'm actually kinda okay with this. Force-borging isn't exactly nice, but I'm fine with it as an antag tool as long as you don't go overboard with it. I actually did discuss the matter with the miner in question and he understood that him suiciding wasn't acceptable.
I was going to have to log off soon, and because of my previous ahelp I thought that there were no admins on that could increase the threat level to make up for my inaction (I should have adminwho'ed to make sure, and this was the beginning of the mistakes I made). I didn't want to waste the antag slot by not doing anything with it and leaving the crew and especially security who's job revolves around the presence of bad guys with no conflict, so I (second mistake) thought that I should just use my remaining TC to buy a double e-sword and go out in a blaze of glory. I did so and began hitting the security officer with it.
This isn't something you need to be concerned with. As an antag, it's your job to make the round more interesting. Murdering a bunch of people is pretty much the opposite of this. The bolded section is what mostly confirms that I was correct in removing you, as the onus for your actions should never be "Well, there were no admins on". There weren't for the whole round, but I ended up being pinged to look into the fact that you killed 3+ people for little reason. You could technically justify some of these by saying that you were defending yourself but, to be blunt, there wouldn't be a reason to defend yourself if you hadn't started killing people.
However, I realized as I was doing so that this was just murderboning.
I would recommend in the future that you adminhelp if you realize you've made a mistake and we can help work things out with you in the round. You are much less likely to be banned if you are honest with us and communicate your mistakes properly.
For the record, I'm not appealing this because I can't not play tg for 3 days, I'm appealing this because I would like to factor less, or less strongly, into any disciplinary action which I may receive in the future.
The severity of your ban was due to two factors - the number of people you killed (One day per, plus a day for the violation itself). You have two other notes on your account, both of which relate to the same offense on the same server. I am willing to update the note but will word it in a way I feel is fair, not in a way that necessarily makes you look better. The new note will read:
Amended note wrote:Killed multiple people with a double e-sword on a Manuel lowpop round. Said they did this because there weren't admins on and they wanted to provide some kind of threat. This is not a valid reason. Please do not do this in the future or play on our servers where murderboning is permitted.
I have removed any mention of the force-borging as it didn't apply to the reason you were banned to begin with.

tl;dr, you were banned for murderboning, not anything else. You have done this in the past though it is a rare occurrence. As such, I will remove the ban and call it time served for now, but the note stays in its amended form. Is this okay with you?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
anclador
Byond Username: Anclandor

Post by anclador » #620694

Yes, this is most agreeable, thank you. I will take your advice to talk to admins rather than act rashly and try to do better in the future.
Last edited by anclador on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #620695

Glad we could come to an agreement. You've been unbanned, cause no trouble.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you