Appeals which have been closed.
Sagasword

[Iain0] Sagasword - Note appeal

Post by Sagasword » #624090

BYOND account: Sagasword

Character name: Dork-A-Honk

Ban type: Note

Ban length: None

Ban reason: seems to have removed the brain from another player as a non antagonist and prevented them being revived - player was not available to discuss any justification at the time (processed following round). Asked to appeal and left a note explaining the issues of non antag round removals.

Time ban was placed: Try to get this from the server when you get the ban reason. If it was a note, the note has a timestamp. If it was a server ban, it will also have a timestamp. Both of these times are in UTC.

Server you were playing on when banned: Terry

Round ID in which ban was placed: Round #176201

Your side of the story: So it all started when I was the clown and went into robotics to have fun, then I found Nova KD's because they were going to borg here since she was a heretic, I've had fun with nova and she's a cool dude but then she said "Just so you know clown my objective was to protect you". Obviously I felt flattered and wanted to revive her so I put her head in a human monkey's body and she wanted to avenge her killer (AKA Owen, more on that later). So she kills and spaces him, but then they found the body and there was the threat of him snitching on her and killing her again. We devised a plan to yoink his brain when in medbay and put it in a monkey so he will be harmless. That's about it basically.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Notice how this was harmless fun, especially when I was trying to protect my protector from harm. Nova would've been totally out of the round without my intervention and I believe to have given the round some spice and drama. All in all, it's what SS13 is all about, making the round fun and challenging for everyone.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Re: [Iain0] Sagasword - Note appeal

Post by iain0 » #624099

Hi there, thanks for the appeal, always sucks to have to try draw conclusions with only part of the story available, and the round was pretty long which made me uncertain about the full history.

I'm not sure this really helps your position however, mostly I would be looking for any reasonable prior events that would justify you effectively "round removing" a player

Part of the above is that you're openly+knowingly helping an antagonist as a non antagonist - you can get away with standing around and doing nothing around an antagonist just about, but actively assisting them when you know they're an antagonist is crossing the line. You're a little easy to get on side with such a line too, you have no way of verifying their objectives, though I guess flattery has often been an approach to manipulating people. This part alone is fairly dubious and you should try remember you are on the side of Nanotrasen as a non antagonist and are not permitted to "defect" simply because someone said some fancy words to you (short of hypnosis etc), that approaches self-antaging.

Which is pretty much what you go on to do, the logs are pretty clear that it's you who removes the brain, not the actual antagonist, and you simply don't have the ground or cause to round remove another player ; and this isn't even a speculative round removal, the player was in medical, about to be revived, and this directly prevented that, and was intended to do so.

The justification of "giving the round some drama" doesn't wash, I personally file this under the same category as "I'm RPing my character being insane", which is somewhere in the rules pages as a specific no-no example, but you can't basically just 'elect' to self-antag in the name of some arbitrary higher goal you've created (which just happens to let you become antagonistic, convenient, also highly desirable amongst the player base which gives some hint as to why it's a hard line no-no).

I should also warn you that round removal of another player without appropriate valid reason could well net you a day ban ; nothing you have to worry about here at this point, appeals are not allowed to increase the punishment, and when I originally factored everything in I included a review of your played hours, distribution and full player record and didn't feel like this kind of behaviour was likely a consistent problem and either a one off or something I had very incomplete information about, so, assuming lessons learned then a note hopefully will suffice.

As such, I'm currently not sold on removing the note, though you are welcome to continue to present your case and I'll take any further information into consideration, currently I would be looking to replace the note (to remove the 'was offline' stuff) with the following:

Round #176201 - Assisted an antagonist by removing the brain of another player who was pending revival, without valid reason, round removing them. Warned about self-antagging behaviour and cautioned over unjustified round removal. Note updated after appeal.

Please let me know if you think there is anything else I should be factoring in, otherwise I'll go ahead and make this replacement.

Thanks
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #624100

( Also that 'harmless fun' doesn't really work for the victim in this situation, they found it neither harmless, or fun, which is how we end up here )
Sagasword

Post by Sagasword » #624102

Hi iprice!

I understand what you said wholeheartedly, and I admit I crossed the line with this one. Never have I intended to make someone's round bad, nor self antag just to grief. I apologize to the person who I've caused dissatisfaction, and I'll keep in mind this incident as a guideline to my actions with antagonists.
I'd like to add however that I wasn't intending to round remove him, just transfer his brain into a monkey just so he doesn't snitch on me or my friend.

Anyhow thank you for your remarks I've taken them into consideration. Cheers!
Last edited by Sagasword on Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #624103

As a piece of advice, if you ever feel that you've got a good justification for helping an antag as a non-antag, please adminhelp and see if it's acceptable to do so. Better to ask us than to just do it and have a situation like this crop up.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #624106

Thanks for the reply, reviewing your player history didn't leave me with the impression it was a pattern of bad plays which certainly factored into the conclusion, glad you catch the points being made and hopefully steering you towards a pleasant continued future here.

Turning them into a monkey or otherwise depriving them of speech is lighter self-antagging too, though less severe since this can be cured, as a non-antag you dont have much room to "impact" another players round adversely ; a little light trolling and minor inconvenience (a few minutes) is probably reasonable but they should get out of the situation and get back to normal before too long.

Vekter makes a good point, if you have an edgy idea, try an ahelp, worst an admin will likely do is say "what? no!" (had tickets like that haha)

Closing this out, appeal is rejected but was good to chat it out, thanks for making this post.
Sagasword

Post by Sagasword » #624107

I see your point, iprice. Will definitely keep that in mind. Vektor you're right, I totally forgot about that part, should've ahelped first.

Thank you for your good words gentlemen! <3