[DISCORD][dallas]

Appeals which have been closed.
dallas
Byond Username: Enderbran

[DISCORD][dallas]

Post by dallas » #636482

Discord username: [dallas] #1677
Banning admin: Hulkamania #8663
Ban reason: "asked not to cum post, responded by trying to dog pile me with the others in the warning thread, timed out for a week."
Time ban was placed: 4/6/22 8:16 PM est
Your side of the story: I got an @everyone ping in newsbus so i read it and as a habit i just pressed all the already added reacts thinking nothing of it because "unga brain must make button blue". After a few minutes I and 6 other users got added to a admin ticket and saying "we've asked you not to react with "cum" in newsbus please stop doing that". I said that i didnt notice the reacts said cum and that i just click all the reacts out of habit and the admin reacts with :clueless: so CLEARLY he understood that what i did was unintentional. After a few minutes of sitting around and the other users joking about how they thought the no cum rule was a joke one of us mentions how the cum reacts were still up and more users were clicking it (should probably remove it so that doesnt happen before making the ticket). We are just waiting for a response at that point and we keep joking about adding the other users and the admin is just letting it happen and is talking in the conversation like normal. Eventualy randomly out of nowhere he says "Alright, I'll type up your warnings now but I've timed you out for a week" and bans me. Nowhere in the conversation does he tell us to stop joking around or tells us that we are dog piling or anything like that we were just talking with each other because you added 7 people to one ticket (why would you do that it seems like an awful way to run things).
Why you think you should be unbanned: Reacting with cum was unintentional and when i told the admin about it despite him clearly acknowledging it he banned me over it. It also states i dog piled but all i did was joke about how more users keep reacting with cum and how they should be added to our ticket. This just seems like a really shitty and disingenuous ban.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Re: [DISCORD][dallas]

Post by Hulkamania » #636486

This timeout was not made based on your usage of the reaction. This timeout was made on the basis that when all the other people who I warned at the same time started to dogpile me and attempt to taunt me for doing my job, you were one of the people who joined in. It was done in nothing but bad faith to attempt to get a rise out of me, so it did.
dallas

Post by dallas » #636490

The most i ever did was say 1984, noone will get banned for this,getting banned over cum is stupid and funny, lets use jizz instead, 4 more people have reacted cum since the ticket was made and we should add them to this ticket. i never taunted you or supported them taunting you i was just joking about the ticket and never intended it to come off as me taunting you for admining or anything but also you made "admins dont play the game" jokes and over all it all just felt like everyone was joking around about the ticket and banning cum. Again i never intended to be disrespectful or to act in bad faith and i didnt mean for it to come off like that. Also reading over the messages again i didnt notice a few of the particularly bad ones sent i was tabbing in and out during the whole thing yikes. (sorry for taking a while to respond something irl came up)
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #636494

So, when I pointed out that I spend a lot of dedicated time volunteering to help around the discord, the group as a whole started to do the standard "haha jannie clean up the messie" schtick.

More people were reacting to the original post so you all started taunting me about having to speak to them as well. You specifically pointed this out in fact, and joined the rest of the group in taunting me over it.

I'm willing to reduce this to three days because you've made some effort in your appeal but the fact remains you joined into the mob-mentality of laughing at me, presumably because no one thought I would actually do something about it.
dallas

Post by dallas » #636498

Yeah that would be great if you could reduce the ban time.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #636504

I'm really baffled reading this, it's adminning 101 that you shouldn't handle matters involving yourself. Does that not apply to discord or was hulk just given leave in this situation?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #636606

Hulk has leeway with respect to the handling of discord shit because hulk handles 70% of discord matters and without them our discord would have likely gotten banned by discord trust and safety.

While we all can agree that its open to debate on rather or not preventing the discord from getting banned is a net positive or negative to the community, there is not really many people on the senior staff team who has the moral high ground to criticize hulk here. The only person (among senior leadership) who has put in enough work in achieving our moderation goals in the community to be able to criticize how hulk does it is me. And I also enforce the dog piling rule on people dog piling on me.

In fact I added the rule after such a situation.

There also is no explicit discord jannie guideline prohibiting this like there is for game admining and forum moderatoring.

There is to be no further discussion on this topic in this thread. take it to players club or policy discussion.

(should probably remove it so that doesnt happen before making the ticket)
WE FUCKING CAN'T. Discord rate limits ALL actions including moderator actions and EACH AND EVERY SINGLE FUCKING +1 TO A REACT HAS TO BE REMOVED SEPARATELY. Once you hit 100 react removals in an hour discord bans your ip for 1 hour. (which it also does if you hit 100 react adds in 1 hour).

This is part of why the no dog piling rule exists. Discord will have no issue banning our entire discord for rule breaking content (not that this was discord T&C rule breaking content) while at the same time making us live within network level rate limits that allow our users to post rule breaking content faster then we can remove it.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)