[<Omega_DarkPotato/(Ewe Kant)>] Geologee /Isabella Dunn - 05/15/2022 Two week ban appeal.

Appeals which have been closed.
IsabellaDunn

[<Omega_DarkPotato/(Ewe Kant)>] Geologee /Isabella Dunn - 05/15/2022 Two week ban appeal.

Post by IsabellaDunn » #640975

BYOND account: Geologee
Character name: Isabella
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Two weeks
Ban reason:" After complaining in dchat, immediately OOCed in IC about "shit roleplay" when spawned in as a ghost role for centcom, then began buying minibombs and attempted to blow up their entire team. When ahelped was unrepentant and claimed it didn't matter. You are currently banned for lack of caring about your team, and these actions indicate a lack of care for anyone else who spawned along with you's enjoyment as well. Please take this break to come back with a better attitude towards your fellow players.
Time ban was placed: The timestamp from the first minibomb was https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/syb ... 8/game.txt [2022-05-15 20:51:15.952]
Server you were playing on when banned:Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed:round-183208

Your side of the story: I was a pretty salty cmo from the medbay being on fire and everyone infected. I died and prayed to the gods just to blow up the shuttle, just to straight up grief it and just kill em all cause rawr world burn and i wanted to vent to the gods. Well I get an option to spawn in as something and I just click yes because theres only a minute until the shuttle gets to centcomm so I figure its gonna be moot anyway just the server rng being rng.

I was typing in deadchat and finished my last word and pressed enter as I was spawning in as a syndicate strike team at centcomm waiting for the shuttle to arrive in a minute and the round to end. I didn't intend to talk to the strike team and even in that scenario I don't feel it was a major ooc/ic role with the situation being everyone spawned in from ghost. As soon as I spawned in I just opened my uplink searched minibombs and started throwing them. The first minibomb didn't esplode and I armed and tossed the second while buying a third and fourth, the second and third didn't esplode either and i didn't swap hands in time and the last one I didn't manage to throw and it esploded in my hand. This is when I died

Why you think you should be unbanned: First and foremost I felt as having prayed to the gods to blow up the shuttle and being spawned in as a syndicate strike team as a sort of blessing to have a little ooc fun to get over the round rage.(*I will post a post script to back up my belief that I was free to do this from the rules down below.*) It was/is my understanding the once a person is at centcom and the shuttle seconds away the game is essentially a free for all and while you are free to act like a dick at centcom you will probably get beaten up by others. I get it was a dick move to quickly buy esplosives but the fact i had prayed for the shuttle to blow up as well as the fact that the bombs i threw away didn't esplode attributed to me thinking the others wouldn't and the last one esploded because the x key on my keyboard is broken (Pasted that from google). This is in addition tot he fact the moment the shuttle arrived at centcomm everyone both syndicate and not were esploded by a member of the crew not letting the syndicate strike team actually do anything as well.

References of good conduct: I feel if you look at my record of bans and admin notes you will see the history of my incidents lower and lower in frequency and I have used the same character isabella dunn as a way to establish a sort of meta reputation as well as acting better ooc. I have tried within the past year+ of playing to become a less action focused and more roleplay focused person. I often play on high and lowpop as a doctor to ensure that the ability for anyone who joins the server and dies by accident has the ability to keep playing that round as I understand some people have a limited time per day to play and with the round lengths varying people may only have one or two rounds per day to play if that.

Anything else we should know: If a ban is felt necessary I would still argue that the length of two weeks is disproportionate to the rule violation and the circumstances. I keep empathy in the back of my head as everything i do ic recently and try to make a ic/ooc effort to understand the other character is a person playing with their own emotions and I really want to stress my understanding in the difference between a persons ic station character and a random ghost role spawned at centcomm is what led me to doing this and I try not to do stuff recently that would leave a negative lasting impression on the person behind the character.

* From the rules page is some of the information i was thinking about while acting out at centcomm. "Rules still apply until the emergency escape shuttle has reached Centcom and the round-end antagonist report has appeared. When the shuttle has reached Centcom, players are free to act as per lone antagonists, detailed in Rule 4. Non-antagonist grief upon the shuttle, from spamming flashbangs for no reason to spraying space lube, can be met with instant 5 (five) minute bans or more."
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: [<Omega_DarkPotato/(Ewe Kant)>] Geologee /Isabella Dunn - 05/15/2022 Two week ban appeal.

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #640979

Heya! As a preliminary post before I get into the meat of this - although EORG does mean everything goes, the shuttle hadn't docked yet, so EORG hadn't started. It's hard to deploy a EORG team when EORG is actively happening, so admins have to make them and set them up prior to shuttle dock for people to spawn in, get their bearings, and do any amount of prep they might want to do before the crew arrives.

Second, the ban duration's long because of the amount of damage attempted to be inflicted, combined with your other standing ban and responses to the ticket. Considering I think you've calmed out with this appeal we can probably strike off at least half the time from this ban, since a major point I wanted to bring here was taking the time to reflect on your actions and how they would impact other people who are trying to have a good time.
Six minibombs tossed all over the CC lobby would've probably crippled at least half of the 15 folks who got brought in, considering that even just one of yours resulted in two people getting brought into crit. (Bombing right off the bat means that people don't have time to pick up internals or think about dodging sudden explosives tossed at their feet) Like I said in the second ticket (although you might not've seen it) I was deleting the bombs, which is why they didn't explode. Nearly got all of em, save for the one that was in your hand.

Although OOC in IC as an admin-spawn ghost-role is (arguably) less bad than OOC in IC anywhere else, the bombing and combination of actions taken begin to bring you astray of the Rule 10/Rule 1 combination where you're expected to, sometimes, die and deal with it. Sometimes shifts go to hell, sometimes people are inept or incompetent or even malicious, but that's how the game works. Breaking the rules or griefing others over this isn't fair to anyone, especially not to people who probably weren't involved in what was giving you that grief - which is why the ban reason ends with coming back with a better attitude towards other players. Considering that you ARE right relating to some positive notes on your account, and other admins mentioning that they had a good view on you, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here - in which case, the other major part would be to focus on calming down and chilling out if you DO get mad. Even if you're a great person normally, getting ticked off by a shift or having a shorter fuse doesn't do much to help your position when it happens.

So after meandering around about why this ban was placed, let's get down to brass tacks:
I'm willing to drop the ban to a week because of what's basically informal vouches and some positive notes in your history - as well as striking off the bit about having a bad attitude towards other people.

I'm ALSO willing to instead drop the ban to a grand total of three days (two for the folks you put into crit, one for the other bombs that you tried to blow) if you can promise me here that you'll do your best at forcing yourself to calm down if you get mad. I noticed a bit of salting in dchat prior to the ghostroles, and although we do allow that, it's not a great look. Focusing on calming down, or even just getting up and walking away if you need to, is better for the folks you immediately interact with and for yourself in the long run too. Although I can't do much to hold you to this option if you decide to go for it, I do hope that you'll come out of it with a more chill outlook on the game serving you a bad hand.

https://atlantaned.space/tgdb/ticket/183208/9 - for staff interested in the ticket itself.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
IsabellaDunn

Re: [<Omega_DarkPotato/(Ewe Kant)>] Geologee /Isabella Dunn - 05/15/2022 Two week ban appeal.

Post by IsabellaDunn » #640985

I suppose I'm okay with any result I mainly wanted to state my case and I appreciate it if that lowers my ban time. I'll make an effort to be nicer towards others in the future.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #640986

it's less about being nicer to others and more on focusing on the "chilling out when you need to" bit - I'll take it, though!
The ban's been shortened to three days, and the note will be amended to "After complaining in dchat, immediately OOCed in IC about "shit roleplay" when spawned in as a ghost role for centcom, then began buying minibombs and attempted to blow up their entire team. When ahelped was unrepentant and claimed it didn't matter due to confusion over EORG rules. Promised to do better in appeal, so duration has been shortened significantly."

If you've got any other questions or anything else you'd like to add, I'll be leaving the appeal open for an additional two days before closing it and shuffling it off to the resolved pile.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!