Github Username: optimumtact

[Headadmins] optimumtact - discord ban for sexually harassing a game admin

Post by oranges » #643438

BYOND account: dangerdog#0001
Character name: thog#0001
Ban type: Discord
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason:
Permanently banned from sending messages in admin chatter, admin bus and admin auditorium channels for inappropriate posts including the following remarks targetted at an admin: "cynic makes me uncontrollably horny", "pushes my nuts into cynics face", "pumping cum into cynic as we talk"otherwise modify the reason.

Your side of the story: I thought they didn't mind
Why you think you should be unbanned: I apologise to cynic, I genuinely thought they were okay with those messages being sent, since we have known each other for so long, I won't do it again, also a perma for first offence with no prior warning - realistically if it had been malicious or intended in bad faith we would be talking about a permanent discord ban not a mute in some channels
References of good conduct:I am the lead administrator of coderbus
Anything else we should know:no
Last edited by oranges on Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact

Re: [Headadmins] optimumtact - discord ban for sexually harassing a game admin

Post by oranges » #643511

what's the hold up headadmins lets go

/me taps watch
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #643579

People seem to think this isn't a genuine appeal

It is genuine, I am actually sorry that cynic felt uncomfortable, I assumed they were a person I knew enough to be comfortable with interacting like that, it wasn't intended to be sexually charged.

It's not something I would do normally to random people.

I do regret what I said, it was childish and immature and I hope that I can have a second chance to prove that I am no longer going to do that.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #643612

Re: the delay
The delay was because I wanted to check with Moth and Melb about whether this was a "headmin team" ban or a Timberpoes ban made with a massive dose of help and support from Moth and Melb. This is an appeal that the headmin team has agreed should be attributed to me.

I carried out the investigation, spoke to Cynic, spoke to the leads channel, spoke to other admins, gathered a broad spectrum of views and came up with an approach based on my discussions. I then put that approach to my two co-headmins for consideration. We discussed it, agreed it and implemented it.

The full scope of the ban is a permanent mute from speaking in various admin channels. You later requested we also limit your read permissions due to pings and replies you weren't able to respond to, which was done but doesn't form part of this ban.

Re: second chances
You have been banned from admin channels by past terms. You have been warned for your Discord conduct in the past on numerous occasions, including posting BDSM tests to new admin candidates after the team in general stopped that meme. You have been banned for abusing admin tools in-game then creating drama from them. You have already been given multiple chances prior to this incident.

Even if we ignore that, what you posted was something so serious that no warnings to remind you not to be a sex pest were considered necessary.

Re: the apology
I'm sure Cynic appreciates your apology, however there was far more at play than your actions against a single person. What you posted was an issue about what, ultimately, all members of our community should be expected to tolerate while they're on our Discord - And how you fail to meet those standards and have done so on numerous occasions.

Re: the punishment
We discussed you being banned from the Discord. It was broadly agreed that anyone else with your history should have been permanently banned. That is the reality of how serious your conduct was, regardless of how lenient I was.

Your ban wasn't lenient because you did something small. It was lenient because of the practical realities of the tgstation project, server and codebase all sharing the same space. At the time you were the only genuinely active headcoder. The tgstation code discussion is hosted on our shared Discord. I eventually settled on a practical option that limited impact to the codebase operations while still restricting your ability to shit up the admin channels.

Re: my decision
As for the aftermath of your ban from talking in the admin channels:

The admin team are happier with you unable to post in the admin channels. The tgs leads group are happier with you unable to post in the admin channels. Things have been much improved without you talking in them in a way that only becomes apparent when you're not posting.

To quote you from the secret retiremin channel as of Thursday last week (Date-time format is MM/DD/YYYY Discord formatting):
dangerdog — 06/02/2022 wrote:@san7890 if god didn't invent catgirl ears to use as a handle while they deep throat you I dont' watn to live on this planet anymore
I am rejecting this appeal. You have shown limited understanding of how your behaviour impacted community members who had to witness it, outside of your own myopic bubble.

I have absolutely no faith you have had a serious character arc shift in the past 3 months. And based on overall history, that you will ever have one. Because the impact on your ability to interact with the community and perform your role as a head coder is practically zero, I currently have no intent of ever lifting this.

Re: closing thoughts to you and to the community
No privilege should put any community member above the rules. But I made the decision on how to handle this and, although my fellow headmins provided support with it, I own the responsibility that comes with that decision. This is another incident in a long line of incidents where nobody wants to be the one that poured the fuel around an open flame.

The reason this ban is the way it is, is in the hopes that it lessens the chance any future term has to make that decision by limiting your opportunities to cause problems. Nobody wants to be the headmin term that actually permanently bans you, because nobody is sure what the true consequences of that would be.

What I'd like is for you to stop abusing your privileged status that you pretty much have, so we never need to consider the consequences. What will probably happen is the complete opposite.

The ball is in your court on that one, and I hope that no future headmin term has to deal with the kind of issues your conduct often brings up. But as of right now, you're not coming back to posting in the admin channels as long as I have the final say on it.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #643633

I don't think you are sending the message you hope to send, which is why you have to specify so much extra in your closing thoughts but okay I will wait.