rickhick
Byond Username: Grobelon

[CoffeeDragon16] dayban for pranking cap repeatedly and "crass emotes"

Post by rickhick » #645382

BYOND account: Grobelon
Character name: Rick Hick
Ban type: server
Ban length: 1 day
Ban reason: As a non-antagonist, stole the nuke disk and then fullstripped and bucklecuffed the captain when they went to arrest them. This is not fun for any other player, you are just making everyone else have a miserable time. As well, you have been asked before to stop with crass emotes, yet you've emoted similar things four other times this round.
Time ban was placed: 2022-06-26
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 185557

Your side of the story: First part of this note: Cap drops disk on the ground, I pick it up like a thieving little goofy goober, then walk around for a bit since im not sure what prank is would be funny. Decide on sealing it behind a wall and pretending to sleep on a bed in front of it. HoS shows up with pinpointer, wondering where disk is, I guffaw and "teehee" and so-on with other gremlin-like behavior. HoS says hes gonna kill me by running me over with the tram repeatedly and brings me up to the railway. Honestly, should have ended there IC, but instead a Good Samaritan grabbed me and shoved me in a transit tube. Since they wanted to execute me for the prank I kind of bumped it up a notch, put another wall in front of the disk, stole the HoSes lil jackboots. Look- if someone had just asked me to get it for them politely i would have, but instead hoptain runs down while im chilling behind a couple girders. No words exchanged- just takes out the baton and tries to hit me through the girder. He pepper sprays the girder, disablers the girder, generally was really hurting this girders feelings. I taunt him and try to walk away, but he teleports in front of me with the hand tele. Try to go the other way but hes called sec and now im stuck between these girders. Basically my only way to escape would be through typical chicanery-esque slippage and shovage, so i unwrench all the girders and try to run away. Instead i get tele'd through one the hand teleporter portals and am face-to-face with hoptain. We shovefight, he ends up getting bodied in the extra-secure storage area in engineering, so i handcuff him and strip most of his gear. All I take his hat, baton, gloves, gun, and accidentally his PDA. I basically wanted some fashionable shit and the things he could use to hurt me, i leave everything else, including AA, on the floor outside of the room, and crowbar open the doors so he can leave once he uncuffs himself. This is basically the entire interaction. A little cheeky, but IMO i think it was pretty reserved.
Second part: "Crass emotes." It's sybil man. If your opinion gets corroborated here, yeah, me talking about farting or toilet humor is gonna stop... but thats just not the impression i had of the server. Not like its rule 8 either... just immature.

TLDR of the shit i think is important: cap drops disk, i pick it up and put it behind walls, HoS says he wants to execute me, I double down on the wallening, cap and sec squad of i think 3 come to arrest me for execution, i finesse them and bucklecuff cap after throwing most of his important gear on the floor.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I didn't really have any intent to grief, its not like i was rubbing my hands together going "hahaha YES this will REALLY make them frustrated," it was just a series of escalating prank versus security behavior, which is pretty common culture here. They wanted to execute me so the gloves were off, there's not much that is "going out of your way to make someone have a miserable time" more than killing a guy for a prank. It's not fun for me when im round-ended.
Anything else we should know: I dunno man, i lowkey hate appealing shit. I'm never intentionally like breaking the rules y'know, so when I do this its me challenging what I think they are, and if I'm wrong I just look like a child trying to get out of trouble (feel the same way about arguing in ahelp). It also forces me to break out of the whole "comedian" persona with the typing and jokes and immature humor and take SS13 more seriously, which I try to avoid for my own sanity. Either way, its just a dayban really, which is a point to the fact these appeals are usually just examining the principals of what I understand to be "okay."
Last edited by rickhick on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Re: [CoffeeDragon16] dayban for pranking cap repeatedly and "crass emotes"

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #645453

Logs from here.

Here, you started a valid IC conflict with the HOPtain by stealing the disk while they were giving it to the Captain:

Code: Select all

[2022-06-26 00:04:53.433] ATTACK: Matthiaskrh/(Dawson Dickinson) has thrown the nuclear authentication disk  (Command Hallway (83,130,3))
[2022-06-26 00:04:53.441] ATTACK: Matthiaskrh/(Dawson Dickinson) has threw and hit Marcodeamachine/(Deil Negrass) with the nuclear authentication disk (NEWHP: 100)  (Command Hallway (83,130,3))
[2022-06-26 00:06:15.570] SAY: Matthiaskrh/(Dawson Dickinson) "I threw you the disk" (Head of Personnel's Office (81,130,3))
[2022-06-26 00:06:18.678] SAY: Matthiaskrh/(Dawson Dickinson) "and the engineer took it" (Head of Personnel's Office (81,130,3))
(Dawson being the HOPtain, and Deil being the real Captain)

I think you are intentionally leaving things out by saying the captain just 'dropped' the disk. After this, the HOPtain went in to arrest you, alongside Security. While resisting arrest, stealing a thing or two is okay, but fullstripping and bucklecuffing the Captain in a shuttered room is too much. This also violates the policy of resisting arrest:
"In resisting arrest, non-antagonists should not loot officers and should not detain or incapacitate officers any longer than is necessary to escape or explain themselves."

You looted and detained an "officer" making a valid arrest for longer than you had to. You also have a fairly recent ban for self-antagging. While a HOPtain is not strictly a security officer, they were the acting Captain and were acting by the same rules as a Security Officer. I got a second opinion from Timberpoes that they can be treated as such here.

So, you started a valid IC conflict, and when they went to go take back their stuff, you overescalated. This effectively prevented the HOPtain from participating in the round until the HoS came in and rescued them. You had a poor reason for doing it, which causes you to lose your protection to further escalate, administration-wise:
"As a non-antagonist you may begin conflict with another player with valid reason (refusal of critical services, belligerent attitude, etc) OR if it does not excessively interfere with their ability to do their job. Whomever you engage is entitled to respond to your actions. If the conflict leads to violence and you had a poor reason for causing conflict in the first place, you may face administrative action."

As for the second part: I shouldn't have to explain this to you. Don't emote shitting yourself. I gave you a note for similar emotes before, and you continued to do it. You also have notes for OOC IC, please put the slightest effort into playing a character. LRP is not NRP.

I don't think you are trying to give people a bad time, but you have had warning after warning about how you are not fun to play with. I want to make the server as fun as possible for its players, and you were being a detriment to that. I would not have had a problem if you didn't escalate to what's close to short of just killing them. You put another player in a position where their only real option is to ghost or alt tab and watch YouTube until some engineer happens onto them. While you did say you were going to let them go after you shuttered them, and you were juking them out, I struggle to believe you. Even if this was true, I still believe you were giving them unnecessary grief. I don't see convincing reason that you were doing anything with this in practice except shitting on the HOPtain's round with no instigation. I don't see much reason to lift this.

Side note, I'm not sure how the HOPtain got found by the HoS. Did you tell them?
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[
rickhick

Post by rickhick » #645455

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:53 pm
I think you are intentionally leaving things out by saying the captain just 'dropped' the disk. After this, the HOPtain went in to arrest you, alongside Security. While resisting arrest, stealing a thing or two is okay, but fullstripping and bucklecuffing the Captain in a shuttered room is too much. This also violates the policy of resisting arrest:
"In resisting arrest, non-antagonists should not loot officers and should not detain or incapacitate officers any longer than is necessary to escape or explain themselves."

You looted and detained an "officer" making a valid arrest for longer than you had to. You also have a fairly recent ban for self-antagging. While a HOPtain is not strictly a security officer, they were the acting Captain and were acting by the same rules as a Security Officer. I got a second opinion from Timberpoes that they can be treated as such here.

So, you started a valid IC conflict, and when they went to go take back their stuff, you overescalated. This effectively prevented the HOPtain from participating in the round until the HoS came in and rescued them. You had a poor reason for doing it, which causes you to lose your protection to further escalate, administration-wise:
"As a non-antagonist you may begin conflict with another player with valid reason (refusal of critical services, belligerent attitude, etc) OR if it does not excessively interfere with their ability to do their job. Whomever you engage is entitled to respond to your actions. If the conflict leads to violence and you had a poor reason for causing conflict in the first place, you may face administrative action."

As for the second part: I shouldn't have to explain this to you. Don't emote shitting yourself. I gave you a note for similar emotes before, and you continued to do it. You also have notes for OOC IC, please put the slightest effort into playing a character. LRP is not NRP.

Side note, I'm not sure how the HOPtain got found by the HoS. Did you tell them?
"I think you are intentionally leaving things out by saying the captain just 'dropped' the disk."

He threw the disk on the ground. If you want to give something to someone, press G, it isn't like I shoved the guy and grabbed it. I'm not intentionally leaving anything out because that's what happened.

"While resisting arrest, stealing a thing or two is okay, but fullstripping and bucklecuffing the Captain in a shuttered room is too much." "Side note, I'm not sure how the HOPtain got found by the HoS. Did you tell them?" "This effectively prevented the HOPtain from participating in the round until the HoS came in and rescued them."

Addressing these, the room wasn't shuttered. I can't find it in logs, but I turned off the APC and crowbarred open the doors. They could leave after spending just 2 minutes unbuckling. You keep saying "fullstripping" which I feel like paints a picture of the items being stolen or unrecoverable-- everything was outside the room and they got their stuff. Nothing of value was lost.

"So, you started a valid IC conflict, and when they went to go take back their stuff, you overescalated."

You're confirming this is a valid IC conflict, so that's fine by me. They came back to take their stuff, I told them where it was: "[2022-06-26 00:11:24.329] SAY: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) "I Have SEALED It Inside The Reinforced Walls" (Engineering Hallway (119,106,2))", then the HoS said they were going to execute me for it instead of asking me to get it out or getting someone else to grab it: "[2022-06-26 00:11:57.168] SAY: NoobySSboi/(Brad Steelflex) "i am going to feed you to the tram" (Engineering Hallway (123,106,2))". How is it overescalation when they wanted to kill me? If they wanted their stuff back they could just go and get it, chasing me down, ignoring the disk, and trying to execute me doesn't factor into that. The conflict would have never "led to violence" had the sec team and hoptain not gone out of their way to try and kill me instead of resolving the situation by getting the disk or brigging me.

"As for the second part: I shouldn't have to explain this to you. Don't emote shitting yourself. I gave you a note for similar emotes before, and you continued to do it. You also have notes for OOC IC, please put the slightest effort into playing a character. LRP is not NRP."

I pretty clearly stated I wanted to hear someone else's opinion on this since it's subjective.

All in all, I can see the view of events you have in your mind, and from that perspective, yeah, they make sense, but it's just not how it went down. I was fighting a hop with AA who was trying to kill me so I bucklecuffed him in an open room and left his stuff on the floor. "Fullstripping and bucklecuffing the captain in a shuttered room" is just a false sentence, he wasn't even captain.
CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #645456

He threw the disk on the ground. If you want to give something to someone, press G, it isn't like I shoved the guy and grabbed it. I'm not intentionally leaving anything out because that's what happened.
While they should have given it over directly, the point is that they intended to give it to the Captain. It doesn't matter that it was insecure, I have no reason to believe they were trying to bait someone to steal it or anything. We should not hold players faulty for not being constantly paranoid and on edge.
Addressing these, the room wasn't shuttered. I can't find it in logs, but I turned off the APC and crowbarred open the doors. They could leave after spending just 2 minutes unbuckling. You keep saying "fullstripping" which I feel like paints a picture of the items being stolen or unrecoverable-- everything was outside the room and they got their stuff. Nothing of value was lost.
You did this after you locked them in for a bit, right? I saw you still had a lot of their stuff once you gave some of it back, which is still too much. Even if it was zero sum in the end, you still wasted their time for trying to do their job, and pissed them off a lot. I generally don't factor in mitigating actions after an ahelp, as most often they're done soley because of the ahelp, and not because the player had prior plans to keep things from going too far.
You're confirming this is a valid IC conflict, so that's fine by me.
Up to the point of you fullstrip bucklecuffing them, yeah. Before that, I saw it and thought it was hilarious.
How is it overescalation when they wanted to kill me?
As per rule four: Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as one. You stole a traitor objective from the Captain, you are valid to Security.
If they wanted their stuff back they could just go and get it, chasing me down, ignoring the disk, and trying to execute me doesn't factor into that. The conflict would have never "led to violence" had the sec team and hoptain not gone out of their way to try and kill me instead of resolving the situation by getting the disk or brigging me.
They did repeatedly try to get their stuff back and brig you, to which you kept stealing from them. They are entirely in their right to treat you as an antag, while you are not in your right to escalate in kind for a valid arrest.
"Fullstripping and bucklecuffing the captain in a shuttered room" is just a false sentence, he wasn't even captain.
Ah, I meant the HOPtain. However, they were acting captain up until when the Captain arrived, which is when you took the disk. Like I said, a head admin has corroborated that I am in my right to treat them like one.
I pretty clearly stated I wanted to hear someone else's opinion on this since it's subjective.
Rule zero: Enforcement of these rules is at the discretion of the admins. I am in my right to tell you that emoting shitting yourself does not belong on the server. If you would like, you can request a head admin review of the appeal.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #645457

rickhick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:22 pm "As for the second part: I shouldn't have to explain this to you. Don't emote shitting yourself. I gave you a note for similar emotes before, and you continued to do it. You also have notes for OOC IC, please put the slightest effort into playing a character. LRP is not NRP."

Please see /tg/station v Illems [2020]
rickhick

Post by rickhick » #645459

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:46 pm
While they should have given it over directly, the point is that they intended to give it to the Captain. It doesn't matter that it was insecure, I have no reason to believe they were trying to bait someone to steal it or anything. We should not hold players faulty for not being constantly paranoid and on edge.
You did this after you locked them in for a bit, right? I saw you still had a lot of their stuff once you gave some of it back, which is still too much. Even if it was zero sum in the end, you still wasted their time for trying to do their job, and pissed them off a lot. I generally don't factor in mitigating actions after an ahelp, as most often they're done soley because of the ahelp, and not because the player had prior plans to keep things from going too far.
You're confirming this is a valid IC conflict, so that's fine by me.
Up to the point of you fullstrip bucklecuffing them, yeah. Before that, I saw it and thought it was hilarious.
How is it overescalation when they wanted to kill me?
As per rule four: Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as one. You stole a traitor objective from the Captain, you are valid to Security.
If they wanted their stuff back they could just go and get it, chasing me down, ignoring the disk, and trying to execute me doesn't factor into that. The conflict would have never "led to violence" had the sec team and hoptain not gone out of their way to try and kill me instead of resolving the situation by getting the disk or brigging me.
They did repeatedly try to get their stuff back and brig you, to which you kept stealing from them. They are entirely in their right to treat you as an antag, while you are not in your right to escalate in kind for a valid arrest.
"Fullstripping and bucklecuffing the captain in a shuttered room" is just a false sentence, he wasn't even captain.
Ah, I meant the HOPtain. However, they were acting captain up until when the Captain arrived, which is when you took the disk. Like I said, a head admin has corroborated that I am in my right to treat them like one.
Rule zero: Enforcement of these rules is at the discretion of the admins. I am in my right to tell you that emoting shitting yourself does not belong on the server. If you would like, you can request a head admin review of the appeal.
"I have no reason to believe they were trying to bait someone to steal it or anything. We should not hold players faulty for not being constantly paranoid and on edge."

What does this have to do with anything? You were saying I was misleading people by saying the captain "dropped" the disk. He dropped it.

"You did this after you locked them in for a bit, right? I saw you still had a lot of their stuff once you gave some of it back, which is still too much. Even if it was zero sum in the end, you still wasted their time for trying to do their job, and pissed them off a lot. I generally don't factor in mitigating actions after an ahelp, as most often they're done soley because of the ahelp, and not because the player had prior plans to keep things from going too far."

The HoP went out of their way to try and arrest and execute me, that isn't their job. Having AA doesn't magically give you captain metaprotections man, I don't care if I'm "wasting their time" if I'm defending myself from being killed because that's round removal... what would you have me do differently?

"They did repeatedly try to get their stuff back and brig you, to which you kept stealing from them. They are entirely in their right to treat you as an antag, while you are not in your right to escalate in kind for a valid arrest."
They did not repeatedly try to get their stuff back, if they wanted to get their stuff back they would have ignored me and broken the walls. They wanted to kill me. It's not a valid arrest when its the HoP.

"As per rule four: Non-antags acting like an antag can be treated as one. You stole a traitor objective from the Captain, you are valid to Security."
Yeah. He's not sec, and even if he was, responding non-violently isn't as big of a deal as you're making it to be.

"Rule zero: Enforcement of these rules is at the discretion of the admins. I am in my right to tell you that emoting shitting yourself does not belong on the server. If you would like, you can request a head admin review of the appeal."
Not saying you're in your right I was commenting on it being gratuitous.

"You did this after you locked them in for a bit, right? I saw you still had a lot of their stuff once you gave some of it back, which is still too much. Even if it was zero sum in the end, you still wasted their time for trying to do their job, and pissed them off a lot. I generally don't factor in mitigating actions after an ahelp, as most often they're done soley because of the ahelp, and not because the player had prior plans to keep things from going too far."
Stop assuming things of me please. I wasn't acting out of self-interest, I wasn't scaling it back solely because of you, I would appreciate it if you believed I was acting in good faith. I feel like this whole time you're operating off the assumption I'm genuinely TRYING to be a dick.

Looking at this as a sum- okay? Why is this worthy of a dayban. A man picks up a high-priority item, takes it OFF his person and places it somewhere else, defends himself when people try to execute him, and walks away.
rickhick

Post by rickhick » #645460

RaveRadbury wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:53 pm
rickhick wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:22 pm "As for the second part: I shouldn't have to explain this to you. Don't emote shitting yourself. I gave you a note for similar emotes before, and you continued to do it. You also have notes for OOC IC, please put the slightest effort into playing a character. LRP is not NRP."

Please see /tg/station v Illems [2020]
Uhh, I feel like this guy was way more into it and gross with it, which makes me feel uncomfortable that its being compared to me, but if the takeaway is "don't do this", alright, I'll stop. Sorry.
rickhick

Post by rickhick » #645461

Just gonna double down and ask. Did I sound like that? Do people get that impression from the constant *me farts? Please. Please tell me thats not true. Like... fuck.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #645468

Since I'm a headmin and the rules say I can peanut: Yes.

It was dug up in the accompanying peanut post but:

[2022-06-26 00:03:56.536] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) shits. (Head of Personnel's Office (80,126,3))
[2022-06-26 00:03:58.638] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) shits on the floor. (Head of Personnel's Office (79,126,3))
[2022-06-26 00:13:40.197] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) farts. (Engineering Foyer (125,104,2))
[2022-06-26 00:36:56.301] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) i Peed My Pant (Hydroponics (125,153,2))
[2022-06-26 00:38:31.958] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) farts. (Hydroponics (126,152,2))
"Shits on the floor"? "i Peed My Pant"?

Can we just all, as a community, informally agree to just not do this so we don't have to debate the merits of whether this is NRP emoting or not?
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
rickhick

Post by rickhick » #645480

Timberpoes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:37 pm Since I'm a headmin and the rules say I can peanut: Yes.

It was dug up in the accompanying peanut post but:

[2022-06-26 00:03:56.536] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) shits. (Head of Personnel's Office (80,126,3))
[2022-06-26 00:03:58.638] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) shits on the floor. (Head of Personnel's Office (79,126,3))
[2022-06-26 00:13:40.197] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) farts. (Engineering Foyer (125,104,2))
[2022-06-26 00:36:56.301] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) i Peed My Pant (Hydroponics (125,153,2))
[2022-06-26 00:38:31.958] EMOTE: Grobelon/(Rick Hick) farts. (Hydroponics (126,152,2))
"Shits on the floor"? "i Peed My Pant"?

Can we just all, as a community, informally agree to just not do this so we don't have to debate the merits of whether this is NRP emoting or not?
To be fair the "i peed my pant" one was a mistype while i was completely alone in a locker in the bottom layer of hydroponics because I was figuring out how the new chat system worked.
CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #645535

Why is this worthy of a dayban.
The ban was made because you did not take the precautions needed when you escalate with someone for no reason. When you do this, it is your responsibility to not significantly worsen the round for the other player. You crossed this line by fullstrip bucklecuffing the HOPtain and stealing even more from them when they were just trying to make a valid arrest against you. You were being really shitty to the HOPtain, and they were very upset over it. The fact you were doing this while going against a prior note's requests to stop acting like a gross moron shows me that you were not considering if you were following the rules during this.

The ban is now over, should I close this?
CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #645614