Soyoboyo
Byond Username: Soyoboyo

[omegadarkpotato] Soyoboyo - Busted too hard sexual style

Post by Soyoboyo » #650711

BYOND account: Soyoboyo
Character name: Slavik Gulahkin
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent :^)
Ban reason: over communications, said "busting just like jizz and cum all over my face" about "busting it down sexual style". Had prior notes about them being talked to re: rule 8 behavior. We take a hard line stance against rule 8 here, and you're free to appeal this ban on the forums should you choose to do so.
Time ban was placed: 8/24/2022 20:47:24
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 189156
Your side of the story: Made a sloppy attempt at heretic murder during which the AI spotted and locked me in the engineering emitter room on Icebox. As I was breaking down an r-wall the AI said

Code: Select all

DonnovanSmith/(XAR-74) [Common] (spans: robot command_headset ) "Slavik gulahkin is in engineering, breaking down a wall" (language: Galactic Common) (AI Chamber (150,25,4))
to which I responded

Code: Select all

Soyoboyo/(Slavik Gulahkin) [Common] (spans:  ) "Uh oh??" (language: Galactic Common) (Supermatter Engine Room (119,57,4))
Soyoboyo/(Slavik Gulahkin) [Common] (spans:  ) "Uh oh oh no" (language: Galactic Common) (Supermatter Engine Room (119,57,4))
Soyoboyo/(Slavik Gulahkin) [Common] (spans:  ) "He's like" (language: Galactic Common) (Supermatter Engine Room (119,57,4))
Soyoboyo/(Slavik Gulahkin) [Common] (spans:  ) "Breaking it down" (language: Galactic Common) (Supermatter Engine Room (119,57,4))
Soyoboyo/(Slavik Gulahkin) [Common] (spans:  ) "Busting down" (language: Galactic Common) (Supermatter Engine Room (119,57,4))
Soyoboyo/(Slavik Gulahkin) [Common] (spans:  ) "Busting just like jizz and cum all over my face]" (language: Galactic Common) (Supermatter Engine Room (119,57,4))
Public ticket link: https://atlantaned.space/banbus/ticket/9fcef186eb16e011
Tertiary public ticket link that I use for a point: https://atlantaned.space/banbus/ticket/dd2cb4029c1eb869
Public logs: https://scrubby.melonmesa.com/round/189 ... ecomms.txt
Why you think you should be unbanned: I'm not particularly sure how this statement qualifies as ERP unless the appendix to rule 8 that "... includ[es] things that could be construed as sexual by unwilling participants" modifies my statement to both turn into a deliberately sexual remark and to be involuntarily thrust upon other players that even subconsciously do not want to receive it by virtue of station comms. In this context, I would like to mention that we have an emote that sends flying kisses towards other players. This is both deliberately sexual (by nature of a kiss) AND non-consensual, as you can send these towards any player at any time (including those who don't want any!) and successfully hit them with a smooch. This is something that I was doing with the chaplain several minutes prior to this fateful comment. If we can divorce the act of literally kissing another player and its sexual connotations from the game world, I want to ask the question of where it stops for sexual humor. We can hug and kiss and slobber all over other players frequently but we cannot make indirect sexual humor because it is too sexual for our pre-teen audience. I've engaged in similar message behavior with actual admins before that I would like to illustrate with a picture from a ticket exchange.
NSFW:
That's a thinker.

I'm also willing to disregard all of the points mentioned because as I have stated in my ticket, I'm willing to stop making these comments in the future. I'm going to act the same way as I did with the consequences of my previous ticket; I haven't alleged of any two other players being in a sexual relationship since, nor will I do it in the future.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: [omegadarkpotato] Soyoboyo - Busted too hard sexual style

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #650730

There's a handful of parts to why this ban was placed, so in your words, we'll be busting it down. (non-sexual style)

Rule 8's the biggest one, so it gets to go first - Although the subtext just mentions erotic roleplay, the entire rule itself matters - eroticism in general. Talking about "jizz and cum all over your face" might not be sexual remarks towards other people, but saying it over comms gains you nothing aside from making everyone here about a situation where you're getting a facial. Generally, the rule swings harder when you say this sort of thing over communications that everyone has access to, and is generally assumed that people have to have access to in order to gain crucial-to-the-round information.

Second, the bit about you having been talked to before about rule-8 relating subjects. Although your previous note isn't to the same subject, where previously you were talked to about making sexual remarks towards other players, it's still rule 8 relating, and in my mind was indicative of the fact that you should've known not to say what you did. In the ahelp, you brought up that there was a two month period between your last rule 8 note, but I'd like to bring up the fact that due to the general seriousness with which rule 8 is handled, just about any duration between rule 8 notes is still too short; we do not want people breaking the rule on our servers.

Third, you've got a series of (admittedly old) notes regarding you saying things which you, at the very least, should've known you weren't supposed to - calling black characters "niggas and such", telling an AI to kill itself roundstart, et cetera - because you thought it would be funny. This third reason is why I didn't exactly take that kind of a view when you said that you'd stop - if you've got a history of saying things that you think are funny because you'll take the note or ban on the chin/the ban's "worth it" to say something funny, I'll just swing for the stands.

Fourth, and I do apologize for letting this factor into your specific ban, as it's a server issue and not one that applies to you alone, but sybil currently has what I'd consider a fairly large ooc in ic problem. "Busting it down sexual style, goated with the sauce" is a meme that isn't necessarily meme of the month tier, but it's still ooc in ic - and it contributes to a "nrp atmosphere". Granted, it's not just one person, and one person alone doing this doesn't "ruin the server", but every little negative contribution hurts.

Now - I brought this case up in admin channels when I was originally dealing with it, and a bit after. Although I found support for this ban being permanent, and I myself say that sybil has some problems that should be addressed with harshly, part of "LRP culture" is saying stupid shit and getting smacked upside the head ICly instead of OOCly. It makes for a fun story, and people acting like clowns every so often makes for a decent call-to-arms for players. I do not like people using R8-adjacent language to do this, and I think that you could've gone with a smarter line than talking about "jizz and cum all over your face", but, looking back, I don't think that this is necessarily perma-worthy.

As stated before, I'm hesitant to trust you when it comes to avoiding saying things that you think might be funny because you'll be able to just walk off a ban, but I'm 100% ready to drop this down to a day and a note that very explicitly reminds you to not talk about explicitly sexual actions such as having "cum and jizz on your face" - I do think there was a bit of an overswing here, and it's partially because I'm returning to LRP after a decent break. For that much, I'm sorry.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #650800

Rule 8 was never meant to address "eroticism in general" and enforcing it like that is just toxic

source: I was there then it was added
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #650875

The title of rule 8 refers to "erotic stuff" and later mentions erp, erp being itself broad and poorly defined. I'm unsure how rule 8 could have a different meaning for so long and kept the wording it currently uses.
Soyoboyo
Byond Username: Soyoboyo

Post by Soyoboyo » #650910

I still haven't been unbanned. The ban hasn't been reduced from permanent. On top of this I would like a headmin review to sort this rule 8 crap out. Does it relate to everything that could remotely be called sexual or does it refer to specific and deliberate sexual creepiness towards other players?
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #650929

Soyoboyo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 am I still haven't been unbanned. The ban hasn't been reduced from permanent.
Was waiting for a response from you about whether you wanted the offer - I'll assume this response means "yes". Headmins have been notified as well.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #650931

satisfied with the outcome of changing this to a note, please take future rule 8 questions/discussion into policy discussion
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<