Helg
Byond Username: Dashatar

[Thedragmeme] Dashatar - Appearance Ban

Post by Helg » #663053

BYOND account: Dashatar
Character name: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ban type: Appearance
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: "When asked to change their cyborg name from "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" was uncooperative in tickets. Appeal this permanent appearance ban on the forums."
Time ban was placed: 2023-01-14 15:58:45
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 198208
Your side of the story: Sitted in ghosts and got pm'd about this. I understand that i wasnt right, but i dont think dragmeme is right for banning for something like this too. Was asked too change name to something less spamy, asked if Àáäåæ was fine, discovered that its unavalaible as a name. Revecived an answer saying "Add silicon or default cyborg to name at least", asked if it was necesarry to write silicon or cyborg and asked if AAAAAB is fine, something else was in conversation but i forgot it already. And i got banned some minutes later.
Why you think you should be unbanned: Literally was said to go to forum to appeal it -_-
Anything else we should know: This wasnt fucking necessary
► Show Spoiler
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Re: [Thedragmeme] Dashatar - Appearance Ban

Post by Drag » #663056

Here's the ticket:
From Ticket #3 during round 198208 on Manuel
Ticket opened at 2023-01-14 15:38:52 by thedragmeme
Log:
15:38:52: Ticket Opened by-thedragmeme: Hey, has anyone talked to you about the cyborg name you picked? Im gonna need you to change it to something not long and spamey when you get a chance
15:39:22: Reply from-dashatar: Will AAAAA be fine?
15:40:13: Reply from-thedragmeme: No, pick a +name+ please. You could do something like Default Cyborg: AAA
15:40:49: Reply from-dashatar: I dont see the difference, its kinda seeable that you're a cyborg
15:41:41: Reply from-thedragmeme: Im telling you that a single letter full caps with nothing else isnt gonna cut it. You can do AAA but keep it short and combine it with something
15:42:02: Reply from-dashatar: With other letter?
15:43:10: Reply from-dashatar: I'll do it AAAA4
15:44:00: Reply from-thedragmeme: No. If this is going to be a problem I can fix it my way if youd like. I will allow you to use AAA in combination with another word, like Cyborg or Silicon
15:45:18: Reply from-dashatar: Why is it necesarry to have "silicon" in name? Didnt saw humans with "human" in their name
15:46:22: Reply from-thedragmeme: Im saying silicon as an example, just pick something thats a word to go with the letters so its an actual name instead of just one letter all caps multiple times
15:48:01: Reply from-dashatar: Like this "ÄĂĄÆ4"?
15:48:54: Reply from-dashatar: Cant change name to it, nevermind
15:49:22: Reply from-thedragmeme: No, since this is clearly a problem you can review our rules on our wiki for an hour then appeal the permanant appearance ban Im going to give you when you feel like youre ready.
15:50:54: Thedragmeme/(Vex Petunia-Licht) has created a temporary 1 hour server ban for Dashatar.
15:50:54: Client disconnected
15:50:55: Resolved by Thedragmeme
---- No futher messages ----
This ticket was generated by Statbus v.0.14.0
You don't really seem to understand why your behavior is a problem. Manuel is our medium roleplay server, you are expected to play a much more believable character than you would be on our LRP servers. Even then a cyborg named "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" wouldn't cut it there either.

Naming policy is something I will always hate, but Im putting my foot down for this. I'm denying this appeal since you not only have not presented a valid rebuttal for me to remove the appearance ban but you additionally do not give me the impression you learned anything from the situation. I'll let you come back in about a month in regards to this permanent appearance ban.

Edit: Timber informed me this reply read somewhat terse. I'll be willing to budge on the appeal if you can show me you understand what is and what is not an acceptable name. That's the reason why the ban is a """permanent""" ban. I legitimately am under the impression you are just shit posting.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #663066

It may be useful to include what the rules have to say here:
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules

Under Server Rule 3 Precedents:
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. A firstname lastname minimum is required for humans and felinids; other species may instead choose to use the default names assigned to them, such as those given through random names, or otherwise any name that is species-appropriate. Honorifics and nicknames are allowed as long as only one additive is used at a time, i.e "James Williams Jr." or "James "One-Eye" Williams". Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.

Excessively OOC is defined as names which are intentionally hard to read/spell, references to in-game mechanics or OOC terminology, and any form of nonsensical/bad-faith name (ex. Adolf Hitler, FAGGOT PUNCHER, Poop Boy, xXrobustspaceman420Xx etc).
Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops have significantly more leeway in choosing their names, but try to be reasonable.
Historically, silicons have a lot of freedom in name selection as the rules state, but that freedom only gives silicons freedom to pick sillier but still appropriate names.

Examples of acceptable silicon names can be found across all of our servers, but usually end up being either a serial number-like name...
R4E-TP
LQ-84i

An attempt at some sort of human-like name, possible with some classical machine twist
Replica Vexen IV
Amaretto

Some sort of pun or wordplay around computer concepts.
EM-R4LD.exe
Microsoft Borg

Or some punny and/or irreverant name made to look like an acronym, even where not computer related.
G.O.D.B.O.X.
C.L.O.C.K.W.O.R.K.
A.E.G.I.S.

Silicon names are VERY flexible and looking at what are generally considered "acceptable" names may highlight where your attempted names seem to have failed by contrasting example:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAA4
ÄĂĄÆ4 (This won't pass the naming filters and it's against the rules as intentionally hard to read/spell)

It all depends on the context of your name.

"AA" probably wouldn't be acceptable.
"AA Battery" probably would be borderline.
"AA Battery Not Included" probably would be fine.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Helg

Post by Helg » #663095

Drag wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:09 pm
I'm denying this appeal since you not only have not presented a valid rebuttal for me to remove the appearance ban but you additionally do not give me the impression you learned anything from the situation. I'll let you come back in about a month in regards to this permanent appearance ban.
You didnt asked for rebuttal, so i though you'll just remove the ban when i'll think of another name for cyborg. And i dont quite understand how am i supposed to learn something from this sutiation when it was just "Change your name please. " "Will AAAA4 do?" "No, ban."
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663100

Helg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:33 pm
I'm denying this appeal since you not only have not presented a valid rebuttal for me to remove the appearance ban but you additionally do not give me the impression you learned anything from the situation. I'll let you come back in about a month in regards to this permanent appearance ban.
You didnt asked for rebuttal, so i though you'll just remove the ban when i'll think of another name for cyborg. And i dont quite understand how am i supposed to learn something from this sutiation when it was just "Hi." "Hi." "Change your name please. " "Will AAAA4 do?" "No, ban."
Generally in appeals you are expected to at least try to give your side of the story and why you believe the ban was unjustified.

I request you examine the ticket, in the ticket I told you that you could use three A's in combination with a word. Instead of doing so you gave to me, from my perspective, completely the opposite of what I asked for especially near the end of the ticket.

This part in particular is why I escalated to a perma appearance ban:
15:46:22: Reply from-thedragmeme: Im saying silicon as an example, just pick something thats a word to go with the letters so its an actual name instead of just one letter all caps multiple times
15:48:01: Reply from-dashatar: Like this "ÄĂĄÆ4"?
I really need you to understand that to me this 100% looks like a shitpost response. Because of that I deemed you uncooperative and progressed with the hour ban and the perma appearance ban. On top of that I was on high alert because your account had a low play time, my typical experiences with low playtime accounts is the above behavior because they're ban evaders trying to waste my time.

If there was confusion about what I was talking about in the ticket we can address it here, however you need to tell me what you didn't understand. Timber has saved me some time in pulling the policy, definitely please give that a read over. I'm willing to lift the ban and even remove the note if you can assure me that you understand that you need to put at least a small amount of effort in your name choices.
Helg

Post by Helg » #663130

I really need you to understand that to me this 100% looks like a shitpost response. Because of that I deemed you uncooperative and progressed with the hour ban and the perma appearance ban. On top of that I was on high alert because your account had a low play time, my typical experiences with low playtime accounts is the above behavior because they're ban evaders trying to waste my time.

If there was confusion about what I was talking about in the ticket we can address it here, however you need to tell me what you didn't understand. Timber has saved me some time in pulling the policy, definitely please give that a read over. I'm willing to lift the ban and even remove the note if you can assure me that you understand that you need to put at least a small amount of effort in your name choices.
Fair, though i dont think thats the thing ban evaders would trip over.
I agree that AAAA4 is stupid as a name and i already changed it to something (forgot to what exactly). I'll try to think something besides just letters as a name in further.
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663181

Helg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:12 pm

Fair, though i dont think thats the thing ban evaders would trip over.
I agree that AAAA4 is stupid as a name and i already changed it to something (forgot to what exactly). I'll try to think something besides just letters as a name in further.
You'd be surprised.

Anyways I'm satisfied now that there's a better understanding of what our naming policy is, I'll go ahead and lift the ban then edit the note. In the future if something an admin is trying to say to you dosent make sense make sure to communicate that mid ticket.
Drag
In-Game Admin

Post by Drag » #663183

Ban lifted, note has been changed to:
Was asked to change their cyborg name from "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA". While cyborgs have more freedom in picking their names you should still put in a minimal amount of effort when selecting your names.
Helg

Post by Helg » #663252

Drag wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:53 am Ban lifted, note has been changed to:
Was asked to change their cyborg name from "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA". While cyborgs have more freedom in picking their names you should still put in a minimal amount of effort when selecting your names.
Thanks.