Post by BeansKidney » #666197

BYOND account: Overwatch_voice
Character name: Has-No-Pigment
Ban type: Note - Major
Ban reason: Image
Time ban was placed: 2023-01-30 02:27:57
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 199176

Your side of the story: As a revolutionary scientist, I have decided to bomb security. Using the superheated plasma I had from earlier ordnance testing, I built a TTV which was close to the maxcap limit. I shipped it to security using the delivery office, and selected the destination of HOS's office.
I chose to trigger the bomb with a decently long timer, as I wasn't sure how long it would take to travel, and there wasn't a cue for me to know to trigger it manually anyway. The captain finds the bomb, and unsure of how to defuse it, chooses to send the bomb back down disposals while still live, and announces they got mailed a bomb on the radio
The still active bomb travels through disposals, and by pure chance, explodes right underneath medical bay several seconds later, killing seven people, including a head revolutionary, effectively dooming the revolution to loose.
I hear the explosion just as the captain announces they were mailed one, and I assume that I succeeded. It's only after I get bwoinked do I realise that my bomb somehow got all the way from security to medbay.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Neither me or captain could have known that the bomb would explode where it did, and detonating the bomb manually using a remote signaller would've been impractical, as I had no idea how long it'd take for the bomb to reach security or even see if it arrived. (Even if I theoretically used a remote signaller as the admin suggested and detonated it right as the captain announced they were mailed a bomb over the common channel, by that time the bomb was already traveling through medbay disposals).
In short: the bomb exploding at a completely different location than I or the captain intended was the result of pure chance, and one which I couldn't have circumvented if I chose a different method of detonation. I do want the result of random chance to possibly affect another admin's decision later down the line because of this note.

Anything else we should know: Logs related to the explosion:

Code: Select all

[2023-01-30 02:10:47.453] TCOMMS: Cat348/(Kat Blu) [Common] (spans:  command_headset ) "Science just mailed us a maxcap" (language: Galactic Common) (Head of Security's Office (113,177,4))
[2023-01-30 02:11:08.175] GAME: Explosion with size (4, 8, 17, 0) in (Medbay Treatment Center (148,115,4)).  Possible cause: the oxygen tank. Last fingerprints: overwatchvoice/(Has-No-Pigment).
Also not every TTV is a maxcap, mine was Devast: 4, Heavy: 8, Light: 17!
Last edited by BeansKidney on Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: Harricross - AmBush - Note for a TTV appeal

Post by Vekter » #666278

For context, the current bomb cap is 5/10/20.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Harricross
Byond Username: Harricross

Post by Harricross » #666433

Hi, thanks for making an appeal.

Yeah that's not a maxcap, I was busy dealing with multiple tickets at the time and I'll change the note to reflect that.

In regards to the note itself, it's fine for people to make honest mistakes. In most cases, you wouldn't have been noted for this and it'd be left as a good/bad memory for the people involved. However, it is hard to discern from just logs, your side, and the Captain's side about your intentions on actually trying to helping your team or if you just wanted to blow up something regardless of the consequences. My confidence in you was not high as you gave me conflicting information such as in order given to me: you knowing that your bomb was in medbay, the explosion happened in medbay, telling me you were sure your TTV that you knew was in medbay did not explode, then telling me you had zero idea how it happened. This is on top of me basically telling you to be more careful in the future when it comes to high range explosives and you respond with, "...I might consider it," leading to me to believe you would repeat this sort of negligent bombing in the future.

In this case, the worst case scenario did happen for your team. While the other head revolutionary was being beat to death in security, your bomb detonated and gibbed the remaining head revolutionary, causing the the revolution to fail immediately after.

I'll be reducing the note severity to a minor note, but I must emphasize that you are responsible for what happens in the end with your bomb, especially when it comes to team antagonists. It was created by you, the detonation conditions were set by you, and the risk you took with the delivery method unfortunately beaned someone you were supposed to be protecting with your life and blew them up.
BeansKidney
Byond Username: Overwatch_voice

Post by BeansKidney » #666569

I appreciate it, thank you.
Harricross wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:40 am My confidence in you was not high as you gave me conflicting information such as in order given to me: you knowing that your bomb was in medbay, the explosion happened in medbay, telling me you were sure your TTV that you knew was in medbay did not explode, then telling me you had zero idea how it happened.
As for this, it was because the round was still ongoing, and I didn't connect the dots myself - Only through what you told me in Ahelps did I start to piece things together, hence the conflicting information.