Appeals which have been closed.
Taming

[CitrusGender] NotIrvanBTW - Appearance Ban

Post by Taming » #668418

BYOND account: NotIrvanBTW
Character name: Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler
Ban type: Appearance
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason:Appearance banned - Asked to change his name as a human assistant from Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler. Denied to do so, said it was apart of his gimic. Was asked again nicely and then disconnected saying "See ya fag."
Time ban was placed: Permanent
Server you were playing on when banned: Bagil
Round ID in which ban was placed: Round 81748
Your side of the story: There's not really much to explain, I enjoy roleplaying as characters from books or games, like joining as Professor Oak and handing staff their own Slime Pokemon to fight with.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I haven't played in five years (on all servers, I think I might've played on yog for a few rounds a few years ago?), and honestly I just want to try playing as a Moth, even if they're not a gimmick character. I was stubborn about doing what I want here but if it's against the culture I'm fine just playing a normal crewmember. The culture of the station might've also changed in that time so I figured I'd put up this appeal to also get a gist of what people here do. People seemed much more friendly when I joined for a few rounds, it was quite pleasant and I want to try playing here as a regular. Again I don't really try to meme as the character, I just find it fun when I'm reading something to go play it on SS13, dunno. Again, I just want to play as a regular character now if it means playing here again.
Also I was way more immature back then, as illustrated by the slur. I apologize for that, I've mellowed out a lot in that time. My home server got nuked and I was frustrated that I couldn't find the fun I use to have here, and lashed out. Again, I apologize.
Taming

Re: [CitrusGender] NotIrvanBTW - Appearance Ban

Post by Taming » #668425

Oh my bad I wrote permanent twice, it happened on 2018-01-11 18:45:51
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #668932

I poked CittyG on Discord. They're a busy bee, but said they're fine with me "approving it".

I'm assume "approving it" means un-appearance-banning you, so that is what I did. Have fun!
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Taming

Post by Taming » #668942

Thanks! I am curious about the current state of TG's culture on lifted names from media. If you're not being annoying about it, is it against the rules?
Taming

Post by Taming » #668943

Also that's pretty cool they're still an admin all these years later :>
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #668946

The more obvious or disappointing the reference, the more likely an admin is to request you to change your name.

We've had a few too many Walter Whites that just make meth in chemistry as their 1-dimensional character gimmick. And also a few too many past and present dictators as well. Popular actors and directors. You get the idea.

So I think in essence, "LRP is not NRP and OOC references as names may still be OOC in IC". The middleground where admins tend to not care is being transformative with lifted names. The more transformative, the better.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Taming

Post by Taming » #668947

So Columbo the Detective might be a big too layman's, but a Hercule Poirot as a Detective, or a Columbo as a Botanist would be more transformative?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #668956

Generally humans are required to conform to at least a Firstname Lastname standard and species have their own additional naming conventions on the side.

Columbo the Detective would definitely raise eyebrows on that basis alone. Hercule Poirot is very well known fictional media character but when considering something transformative, Hercules Pinot would probably slip under the radar even if you hammed it as a Belgian detective stereotype.

Not that any of this is permission to use certain names or definitive on the topic. But more to give you an idea of what I mean when I say transformative.

Ultimately it's up to whatever individual admin is around on the day and any one of us can get out of bed with a stick lodged firmly up our ass and decide that today is the day that Snake Plissken or Hercule Poirot meets their demise under naming policy. But some names are much more safe than others.