Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

[Omega] Iamgoofball - 7 day timeout for not being nice to Seth

Post by iamgoofball » #669089

BYOND account: irrelevant
Character name: irrelevant
Ban type: Discord
Ban length: 7 days
Ban reason: tired of you thinking that "rule 1 don't be a dick" doesn't apply to you
Time ban was placed: like 15 minutes ago
Server you were playing on when banned: irrelevant
Round ID in which ban was placed: irrelevant
Your side of the story:
i was arguing with seth about his behavior as a headrev where he stole a fellow headrev's flash because he wanted a flash and seth believes that rule 4's statement on not harming your team as a team antag exclusively refers to physical harm that inflicts brute/burn/oxy/tox damage

we argued about this, i questioned why he was unbanned, i was rude to omega, seth continued to quadruple down on it, and then the admins rolled into back seth's statements up, see below:

at this point i was furious, admins are the people we rely on to enforce edge case bad player behavior like "no, you can't rob your fellow teammembers for their gear" because we can't hardcode it to stop that because of how ss13 works, and they're just sitting here calling our code shit and saying that we shouldn't be "whinging to admins over every little thing" in response to clear cut bad faith gameplay by players

at this point, omega tries to calm the discussion down, i'm still mad but understanding and relay to omega that hey, im not gonna be nice to this guy, he's not nice to other people and is a bad faith fuckwit who rules lawyers away the spirit of the rules

Why you think you should be unbanned:
for reference, this was the exact post that got me timed out:

i intended to leave it at that, stating that i'm not gonna be nice to the guy because he's an asshole to me and the people who play the video game, then he mutes me for 7 days and doesn't mute any of the other people being assholes in this dicsussion

this is some tone policing bullshit, frankly

to use seth's own rules lawyer nonsense, discord rules don't say I have to be nice to seth, they just say don't be a dick, and the discord jannies sure as fuck don't enforce that when people are assholes to me and I report it, so why do I get punished when other people get to pull this bullshit and walk away with minimal slaps on the wrist?

i reported this to discord jannies and they didn't do shit, only person who acted was timberpoes who was only able to eek out a 24 hour against helplesscrane and apologized that they couldn't do more(shoutout to timberpoes for being legit)

not even 5 minutes after I was timed out some jackass makes a "joke" calling me a domestic abuser

if calling seth a bad faith fuckwit after he directly argued that its his right per rule 4 to steal flashes from other headrevs as a headrev is worth a 7 day ban, why's calling me a whore and calling me a domestic abuser not also worth a 7 day ban?

i think 7 days is too long of a ban time when people say significantly more heinous shit than I said, but i will try to be less mean to seth in the future, however it is very hard to not be mad when the admins are posting shit like this at me when i ask them if they've considered that ruling everything short of murder as an IC issue negatively impacts our ability to design the game properly

i'll apologize to seth for being too rude to them if that's what you want, but it's my right to consider them a bad faith fuckwit after they spend 30 minutes arguing that it's their god given right to steal from their teammembers in a team gamemode because the google definition of "harm" says physical violence.

why are we required to take players seriously when they argue that it's their right to do obviously bad faith shit? why can't we just call them jackasses and move on, and keep calling them jackasses when they quadruple down on their bad faith shit?

References of good conduct: no
Anything else we should know:

i'm not looking forward to spending a week arguing with you guys about past history so how about we keep it to the actual ban instead of arguing brass tacks over he said she said shit that only I and like 5 other people remember in the history of /tg/
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Re: [Omega] Iamgoofball - 7 day timeout for not being nice to Seth

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #669093

TL;DR for those who don't care to read:
This appeal is denied. You've had run-ins with our discord moderation team in the past relating to having outbursts in tg-general and ultimately this is just another instance of it, and so you (fairly) get a longer time-out in an attempt to impress upon you that rule 1 applies to you as well.

To respond to your individual points:
  1. If I ask you to be civil and you immediately respond with "I'm not interested in doing that" after I've been given screenshot after screenshot of you all-caps screaming for him to FUCK OFF or saying, and I quote, "STEALING FROM YOUR TEAM HARMS YOUR TEAM YOU FUCKING BRAINDEAD MORON, DID YOUR MOTHER SWING YOU INTO CONCRETE AS A CHILD UNTIL YOUR BRAIN LIQUIFIED?" I'm inclined to believe that you're not interested in being civil. You can disagree with someone in tg-gen without breaking rule 1.
  2. he [...] doesn't mute any of the other people being assholes in this dicsussion - One, "but they didn't get x" / "but they did x, why didn't they get the same as me" is context-ignorant - in this case, the context ignored is that the other parties did not immediately respond with "no" when I asked them to be civil.
  3. The discord jannies sure as fuck don't enforce that when people are assholes to me and I report it, so why do I get punished when other people get to pull this bullshit and walk away with minimal slaps on the wrist? - See above, and we're not omnipotent.
    Also as an aside, helplesscrane's just been banned off the discord for their continuous harassment of you and other users, at the request of Spookuni and done by myself.
  4. (shoutout to timberpoes for being legit) - shoutout to timberpoes for being legit
  5. if calling seth a bad faith fuckwit after he directly argued that its his right per rule 4 to steal flashes from other headrevs as a headrev is worth a 7 day ban, why's calling me a whore and calling me a domestic abuser not also worth a 7 day ban? - same as point 2.
  6. the admins are posting shit like this at me when i ask them if they've considered that ruling everything short of murder as an IC issue negatively impacts our ability to design the game properly - Alamo coming in that hot was one of the main reasons why I decided to step in and tell people to be civil - they shouldn't have talked to you like that. But they also stopped when I told everyone in chat to be civil.
  7. why are we required to take players seriously when they argue that it's their right to do obviously bad faith shit? why can't we just call them jackasses and move on, and keep calling them jackasses when they quadruple down on their bad faith shit? -

Code: Select all

Don’t be a dick. This Discord server is meant to be open and friendly, don’t make it into an unenjoyable environment.
    and

Do not communicate in bad faith. This includes making assumptions about people's intentions or positions.
    Even if you disagree with Seth's position or think that it's stupid, I don't think he was communicating in bad faith - just from an incorrect standpoint. You're allowed to be wrong, just not a baiter - and given that he wasn't baiting, I don't think that your response to him was very justified or fair.
Headmins are free to look over this ban if they so choose - and because this ban will be extending into the Timberpoes/Kieth4/Misdoubtful term, I'll be letting both current headmins and headmin elects know if you decide to request an overview.

Apologies if the middle section is a little difficult to read - there were a lot of individual points that I wanted to address, and chunking them out further would just make this larger when it doesn't need to be.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #669094

Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 amIf I ask you to be civil and you immediately respond with "I'm not interested in doing that" after I've been given screenshot after screenshot of you all-caps screaming for him to FUCK OFF or saying, and I quote, "STEALING FROM YOUR TEAM HARMS YOUR TEAM YOU FUCKING BRAINDEAD MORON, DID YOUR MOTHER SWING YOU INTO CONCRETE AS A CHILD UNTIL YOUR BRAIN LIQUIFIED?" I'm inclined to believe that you're not interested in being civil. You can disagree with someone in tg-gen without breaking rule 1.
yeah that's fair
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 amhe [...] doesn't mute any of the other people being assholes in this dicsussion - One, "but they didn't get x" / "but they did x, why didn't they get the same as me" is context-ignorant - in this case, the context ignored is that the other parties did not immediately respond with "no" when I asked them to be civil.
legit
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 amThe discord jannies sure as fuck don't enforce that when people are assholes to me and I report it, so why do I get punished when other people get to pull this bullshit and walk away with minimal slaps on the wrist? - See above, and we're not omnipotent.
Also as an aside, helplesscrane's just been banned off the discord for their continuous harassment of you and other users, at the request of Spookuni and done by myself.
I'm withdrawing my appeal on this basis since I felt the core problem was a lack of enforcement from the admin team on problem players being massive assholes so you know what, that's legit, thanks for doing something about this, this ban is legit in the context of that
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 am(shoutout to timberpoes for being legit) - shoutout to timberpoes for being legit
shoutout to timberpoes for being legit
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 amif calling seth a bad faith fuckwit after he directly argued that its his right per rule 4 to steal flashes from other headrevs as a headrev is worth a 7 day ban, why's calling me a whore and calling me a domestic abuser not also worth a 7 day ban? - same as point 2.
legit
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 amthe admins are posting shit like this at me when i ask them if they've considered that ruling everything short of murder as an IC issue negatively impacts our ability to design the game properly - Alamo coming in that hot was one of the main reasons why I decided to step in and tell people to be civil - they shouldn't have talked to you like that. But they also stopped when I told everyone in chat to be civil.
legit
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 amwhy are we required to take players seriously when they argue that it's their right to do obviously bad faith shit? why can't we just call them jackasses and move on, and keep calling them jackasses when they quadruple down on their bad faith shit? -

Don’t be a dick. This Discord server is meant to be open and friendly, don’t make it into an unenjoyable environment.
and

Do not communicate in bad faith. This includes making assumptions about people's intentions or positions.
Even if you disagree with Seth's position or think that it's stupid, I don't think he was communicating in bad faith - just from an incorrect standpoint. You're allowed to be wrong, just not a baiter - and given that he wasn't baiting, I don't think that your response to him was very justified or fair.
i think you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on whether or not he's communicating in bad faith, but that's subjective and not objective so i'll leave it at that
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #669097

iamgoofball wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:50 am
Omega_DarkPotato wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:44 amThe discord jannies sure as fuck don't enforce that when people are assholes to me and I report it, so why do I get punished when other people get to pull this bullshit and walk away with minimal slaps on the wrist? - See above, and we're not omnipotent.
I'm withdrawing my appeal on this basis since I felt the core problem was a lack of enforcement from the admin team on problem players being massive assholes so you know what, that's legit, thanks for doing something about this, this ban is legit in the context of that
Marking this as resolved, then! Have a nice rest of your night.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!