Byond Username: SinfulBliss

[Vekter] SinfulBliss - Nukie Name Note

Post by sinfulbliss » #684660

BYOND account: SinfulBliss
Character name: Cletus FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT
Ban type: Note
Note reason: Image
Time ban was placed: 2023-05-09 23:02:50
Round ID in which ban was placed: 205391 (actual round 205293)
Your side of the story: Spawn as nukie captain. Make funni nukie family name. 1 day passes. Discord ticket from Vekter taking issue with it, then note.

Why you think you should be unbanned: Here I will offer a two-pronged defense, the first will be an IC justification and the second the OOC justification.

IC: Back in the syndie villages in the icemoon, Donk Co. together with the Gorlex Marauders caught wind of two entirely new Nanotrasen stations -- Northstar and Birdshot. As such they began the funding of a nuclear operative squad that targets specifically Northstar class vessels, or Tram and Birdshot class stations. They called this elite fleet "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT[sic]." As I'm sure you're aware, nuclear operatives aren't given names and families in the icemoon. They are given numbers, gear, and tasks -- they are not quite people, but soldiers, trained their whole lives for a single mission. As such it makes perfect sense for their family name to reflect that mission.

OOC: I believe my chosen name was kosher based on this rule in naming policy:
The Gimmick Exemption: Names that lean on or are technically in violation of naming policy may at admin discretion receive an exemption to be used temporarily to enable interesting, entertaining or plain fun character gimmicks. Admins are encouraged to allow this where possible as long as players are putting in a good faith effort to use the exemption in ways that are beneficial for everyone.
Nukies get the same name leeway as clowns, as given in the "exceptions" section. Multiple people found this name entertaining, you can see from the chatlogs, and that was really my only goal -- make a funni nukie name. Northstar and Birdshot just recently replaced two maps, and Tram is the next most recent, so it's pretty funny to me that a nukie assault team would be called to nuke them from orbit. I don't think this should be construed as a pointed OOC insult against the mapmakers as Vekter suggested (in the Discord ticket):
Vekter wrote:For another, it's kind of rude as shit and I'm tempted to put it on the same level as something like "FUCK (admin)" as a nuke op name
I don't feel that I am out of scope for asking you to choose better names in the future.
I fundamentally disagree that a nuclear assault team commander should care about being "rude" -- and rude to whom? To the maps? The name listed half the maps in rotation, I have trouble seeing it as targeted. Particularly because this round was on Tram and well, our goal was to blow up Tramstation! Now you might ask, "then why not just name it 'FUCK TRAMSTATION'"? Two reasons for this. First, it's kind of bland and not very funny. Second, now it does sound more like OOC hatred/salt rather than a gimmick name, because it's one specific station.

Last thing I'll say is that there have been way, way more "OOC" names than this from nukies and clowns alike. But apparently a member of staff ahelped this, I presume because they felt offended that the nukie name said "FUCK [map]". I think that's oversensitive, and I can't emphasize this enough -- we were a FLEET OF NUCLEAR OPERATIVES TASKED WITH BLOWING A MAP OUT OF ORBIT.

Anything else we should know: A fitting end
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Vekter] SinfulBliss - Nukie Name Note

Post by Vekter » #684670

Okay, so the main reason I noted you for it involves the Gimmick Exemption itself, specifically that it's to enable "interesting, entertaining or plain fun character gimmicks". I don't really feel this passed that bar for me. I understand that we're fairly lax on nuke ops family names, and I don't want to change that, but I don't think we should be letting quality slip so far that a string of six words counts as a last name, jokingly or not. I feel like it'd need to actually be funny for it to count and, honestly, it's not. People claimed to find it entertaining because, frankly, you can walk into #tgstation-general and type BIRDSHOT BAD in all caps and someone's going to think it's the height of comedy.

I really don't buy your reasoning here. It feels entirely too obtuse for it to make sense. What's more logical? "I thought a gimmick where our team was named after specific stations they want to blow up would be funny", or "I don't like these maps and I think it's funny to say I don't"? Considering that you just happened to pick the three maps that a very vocal minority of players love to hate, I really don't believe you. If I was really uncharitable, I could say that I can tell you're bullshitting because you put "BIRDSHIT" instead of "BIRDSHOT", but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and call it a typo.

This kind of hits close to home for me because I've been seeing the people who mapped both Northstar and Birdshot dealing with the constant stream of unhelpful criticism from other players and I can see the kind of burnout it's causing. This is the kind of thing that contributes to that. Do I think you shouldn't be allowed to criticize content you don't like in the game? No, but I argue that statements like "Fuck (map)", "(map) sucks", and "(map) is shit" aren't criticism - it's just noise. If you don't like a map, there are places to voice that criticism and do so constructively. This isn't constructive. It's just rude.

Either way, I feel like this passes the note test - it's factual (you did, in fact, name your team that) and I don't feel it's too harsh against your character for what it is.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684690

Alright so, a couple things.
Vekter wrote:I understand that we're fairly lax on nuke ops family names, and I don't want to change that, but I don't think we should be letting quality slip so far that a string of six words counts as a last name, jokingly or not. I feel like it'd need to actually be funny for it to count and, honestly, it's not. People claimed to find it entertaining because, frankly, you can walk into #tgstation-general and type BIRDSHOT BAD in all caps and someone's going to think it's the height of comedy.
I think arguing about whether or not it's funny isn't very productive. I can't convince you about it one way or another. What I will argue, though, is against the idea that this is a "slip in quality." This nukie name is no lower quality than hundreds of other nukie and clown names that regularly get chosen, the reason this was noted I think lies deeper in your post:
Vekter wrote:This kind of hits close to home for me because I've been seeing the people who mapped both Northstar and Birdshot dealing with the constant stream of unhelpful criticism from other players and I can see the kind of burnout it's causing. This is the kind of thing that contributes to that. Do I think you shouldn't be allowed to criticize content you don't like in the game? No, but I argue that statements like "Fuck (map)", "(map) sucks", and "(map) is shit" aren't criticism - it's just noise. If you don't like a map, there are places to voice that criticism and do so constructively. This isn't constructive. It's just rude.
I thought this was self explanatory, but the nukie family name of "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT" is not intended to be some OOC "criticism" of these maps. It is intended in the most simple sense of "GRRRRR I'M A NUCLEAR OPERATIVE EXPLODE THE STATIONS FUCK THEM FUCK TRAM FUCK NT FUCK EVERYTHING BLOW IT UP." Reading it as some social commentary is blowing it way out of proportion. It's a harmless gimmicky name, let us have a little fun as a treat.
Vekter wrote:I really don't buy your reasoning here. It feels entirely too obtuse for it to make sense. What's more logical? "I thought a gimmick where our team was named after specific stations they want to blow up would be funny", or "I don't like these maps and I think it's funny to say I don't"? Considering that you just happened to pick the three maps that a very vocal minority of players love to hate, I really don't believe you.
Obviously it wouldn't be very funny if they just chose a random 3 maps, right? It wouldn't be funny if I named them "FUCK BOX FUCK META FUCK DELTA" (actually that's kind of funny now that I say it out loud). My reasoning was as follows: We want to blow up tram, so "FUCK TRAM" is in the name. That's not very funny though, kind of basic, let's be more flamboyant and add some more. Well, Birdshot and Northstar are the two obvious choices since they're brand spanking new, let's chuck those in too. And again people found it funny so I consider it to pass the vibecheck.
Vekter wrote:Either way, I feel like this passes the note test - it's factual (you did, in fact, name your team that) and I don't feel it's too harsh against your character for what it is.
I don't agree with how you've chosen to police nuke op names here. I think this is a terrible standard to uphold and it just stifles players from being silly and creative with their name choices -- maybe the 300th "Fluke Ops" wouldn't have gotten a bwoink but it also would've deprived people of having a little chuckle. I don't think what I did was deserving of a note, period, that is excessively harsh, and from the appeal you're painting it as an attack against the mappers when it was intended just as a funny name to have, which I think it was.

FWIW I kinda like Northstar as a map OOCly (except when the gravity dies). But I am a nuclear operative god damnit, and as a nuclear operative I should be allowed to talk shit about anything and everything NT-related that I want, whether it's a job, a gun, a station, or whatever else. Stations are IC -- northstar is IC, tram is IC, and birdshot is IC. They are fair game to meme on in my op name.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684712

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:27 am I thought this was self explanatory, but the nukie family name of "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT" is not intended to be some OOC "criticism" of these maps. It is intended in the most simple sense of "GRRRRR I'M A NUCLEAR OPERATIVE EXPLODE THE STATIONS FUCK THEM FUCK TRAM FUCK NT FUCK EVERYTHING BLOW IT UP." Reading it as some social commentary is blowing it way out of proportion. It's a harmless gimmicky name, let us have a little fun as a treat.
You can say all that you want that you didn't intend it to be a "criticism" of the maps, but the fact that you explicitly picked maps that are commonly ranted on in OOC is enough for me to think this is intentional. It's not hard to toe a line just enough to go "Well, I'm not OBVIOUSLY doing this thing, it's just harmless fun! I don't intend to be a dick to people, I'm just having fun!". My honest take on it? It's way easier to come up with an imaginary reason you did something after the fact than it is to just admit that you were having some fun at the expense of others.

As for the impact something like this will have on future nuke op team names, just don't insult others or their work and maybe don't have excessively long names. That's it.

E: Also the only thing I'm willing to extend to you is an edit made to specify your claimed reasoning behind it, otherwise I'm not removing it. Does this sound fair?
In round 205293, named the syndicate team family "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT". Claims to have done so as a joke about a nuke op team named specifically after stations they are tasked with blowing up, but the possible connection between the chosen maps being unpopular and this being a lazy statement about them is still present. This is a bit much even for a nuke op name and, while we do allow an exemption for "interesting, entertaining or plain fun character gimmicks", I don't see this as any of those. Please try to keep nuke op names to something shorter than 3 words in the future.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684720

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 amAs for the impact something like this will have on future nuke op team names, just don't insult others or their work and maybe don't have excessively long names. That's it.
I think insulting something that exists IC should be fair game, nothing in the game should have special insult-protections, much less from a nukie who is supposed to be roleplaying as someone that HATES NT and everything in it. A station name is not OOC, and nukies regularly have names longer than 3 words. Accusing me of lying about my reasoning to force the name into OOC harassment territory, because you feel passionate about this, is also super uncool.
E: Also the only thing I'm willing to extend to you is an edit made to specify your claimed reasoning behind it, otherwise I'm not removing it. Does this sound fair?

In round 205293, named the syndicate team family "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT". Claims to have done so as a joke about a nuke op team named specifically after stations they are tasked with blowing up, but the possible connection between the chosen maps being unpopular and this being a lazy statement about them is still present. This is a bit much even for a nuke op name and, while we do allow an exemption for "interesting, entertaining or plain fun character gimmicks", I don't see this as any of those. Please try to keep nuke op names to something shorter than 3 words in the future.
I think the note shouldn't exist period for the reasons I've already argued. A map being unpopular shouldn't garner it special protections from being memed on in a nukie family name, nor should the family name be limited to 3 words. I'd like to request headmin review please.

I can't help but suspect that if the name were "FUCK BOX FUCK META FUCK DELTA," I wouldn't have been hearing about this 24 hrs later in a Discord ticket, despite that name being over 3 words and also being "rude." Stations IC are not anyone's "work," they are NT property, and being NT property I, a nukie tasked with destroying NT property, should be allowed to meme on them IC, IMHO.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684741

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:42 am I can't help but suspect that if the name were "FUCK BOX FUCK META FUCK DELTA," I wouldn't have been hearing about this 24 hrs later in a Discord ticket, despite that name being over 3 words and also being "rude." Stations IC are not anyone's "work," they are NT property, and being NT property I, a nukie tasked with destroying NT property, should be allowed to meme on them IC, IMHO.
I can't speak for other admins, but I would have absolutely brought the topic up either way because I still think it's excessive even without the context given.

Regardless, I'm not removing the note. I believe my offer to edit it is more than reasonable.
Spoiler:

Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #684767

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:15 am Okay, so the main reason I noted you for it involves the Gimmick Exemption itself, specifically that it's to enable "interesting, entertaining or plain fun character gimmicks".
There is no rule regarding a "gimmick exemption."
The Gimmick Exemption: Names that lean on or are technically in violation of naming policy may at admin discretion receive an exemption to be used temporarily to enable interesting, entertaining or plain fun character gimmicks. Admins are encouraged to allow this where possible as long as players are putting in a good faith effort to use the exemption in ways that are beneficial for everyone.
Does not come from the current rules regarding naming policy. That comes from Spookuni proposed update to the naming policy.
1.2 Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops have significantly more leeway in choosing their names, but try to be reasonable.
This is just another clarification of something that went unstated in previous versions of naming policy. You have more leeway with choosing your name in these roles, but if it's something utterly awful, we still reserve the right to ask you to change it.
This is the naming policy with its wording on the current rules page. The bolded section is added shortly after in this thread.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684824

Boot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:04 am
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:15 am Okay, so the main reason I noted you for it involves the Gimmick Exemption itself, specifically that it's to enable "interesting, entertaining or plain fun character gimmicks".
There is no rule regarding a "gimmick exemption."
Does not come from the current rules regarding naming policy. That comes from Spookuni proposed update to the naming policy.
1.2 Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops have significantly more leeway in choosing their names, but try to be reasonable.
This is just another clarification of something that went unstated in previous versions of naming policy. You have more leeway with choosing your name in these roles, but if it's something utterly awful, we still reserve the right to ask you to change it.
This is the naming policy with its wording on the current rules page. The bolded section is added shortly after in this thread.
Then we were both mistaken in how we handled the matter. I still feel like it violates the bolded section you mentioned, but I'll be removing references to that exemption from the note.

E: The note has been updated to read as follows:
In round 205293, named the syndicate team family "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT". While we do give more leeway for nuke op names on the usual, this feels like it's crossing into rule 1 territory given how vitriolic people have been about these maps recently.
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684894

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:08 pm
In round 205293, named the syndicate team family "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT". While we do give more leeway for nuke op names on the usual, this feels like it's crossing into rule 1 territory given how vitriolic people have been about these maps recently.
This is even more disagreeable than the previous note. Who am I being a dick to exactly? Maps aren't sentient entities. If you claim it's to the devs of the maps, I'd ask where you're getting that from. I never mentioned the devs and appreciate their work. The devs don't exist IC, the stations do, just like the nukie family name does. It's meant as IC hostility to the stations (because I was literally a nuclear operative sent to destroy one), not OOC hatred to the devs.

I do not think rule 1 should apply to maps, features, or other non-sentient parts of the game IC, especially if you're an antagonist, so again I'm contesting this note.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684898

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:03 pm
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:08 pm
This is even more disagreeable than the previous note. Who am I being a dick to exactly? Maps aren't sentient entities. If you claim it's to the devs of the maps, I'd ask where you're getting that from. I never mentioned the devs and appreciate their work. The devs don't exist IC, the stations do, just like the nukie family name does. It's meant as IC hostility to the stations (because I was literally a nuclear operative sent to destroy one), not OOC hatred to the devs.

I do not think rule 1 should apply to maps, features, or other non-sentient parts of the game IC, especially if you're an antagonist, so again I'm contesting this note.
Your action to choose to name your nuke team is not an IC choice, it's an OOC one. You continue to insist that your actions exist in a vacuum because you say they're being done IC. As I specified before, rule 1 is applying to the people who made those maps. Can you say to me with a straight face that you wouldn't have picked those maps if constantly shitting on them wasn't as popular as it is right now?

You can either insist that you're allowed to make memes or goofy names sometimes breaking the IC barrier as a nuke op team or you can insist that the decision is only IC and any reference to anything OOC should not be permitted. You can't have both.

I'm not commenting any further on this. Headmins are welcome as always to make their call on this and I'm sure they'll want to edit the note in some way, but I'm not removing it.
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #685828

Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:11 pm Your action to choose to name your nuke team is not an IC choice, it's an OOC one. You continue to insist that your actions exist in a vacuum because you say they're being done IC. As I specified before, rule 1 is applying to the people who made those maps. Can you say to me with a straight face that you wouldn't have picked those maps if constantly shitting on them wasn't as popular as it is right now?
I'll clarify here what I meant since people are reading my justification as disingenuous. I chose those 3 maps because they were the newest maps added ≈ people have the strongest feelings about them ≈ a nukie name with them as the butt of the joke sounded funnier.

The part I'm taking issue with is conflating this as OOC hatred of these maps, or worse, OOC hatred of their developers. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I enjoy Northstar as a map, and I also feel either neutral or positively towards all the mapper devs. So, while the choice of humor/gimmick was an OOC one, its connotations are strictly IC. Station names IC refer to the stations themselves rather than their developers and their OOC contributions.
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:11 pmYou can either insist that you're allowed to make memes or goofy names sometimes breaking the IC barrier as a nuke op team or you can insist that the decision is only IC and any reference to anything OOC should not be permitted. You can't have both.
There is obviously an OOC component in making any joke or humorous gimmick name, since you're appealing to people's OOC sense of humor, but that doesn't mean the joke itself is directed OOCly, so long as it's referencing things in the game-world.
Vekter wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 5:11 pmI'm not commenting any further on this. Headmins are welcome as always to make their call on this and I'm sure they'll want to edit the note in some way, but I'm not removing it.
My final thoughts on it are basically: is it a retarded name? Yeah. Was it funny? To some people, it was, yeah. Did it violate rule 1? Absolutely not. Is it OOC hatred? Absolutely not. Does it pass the relaxed naming policy nukies and clowns get? See my IC defense in the OP. I think it's no worse from a naming-policy standpoint than lots of clown names, or warop meme announcements, but that's not up to me to decide ultimately.

My goal was really, pure and simple, to make a funny nukie family name. If it departs from naming policy enough to be noted, fine, but it's clear that wasn't your motive for noting this.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686446

I’m beginning to feel a bit bad for giving the headmins more work over such a small thing considering they got a lot of other more important shit currently open.

I’d be willing to take the note in its original form to speed this along, if you agree to that Vekter.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #686453

I can't use the original version of the note because it quotes policy that doesn't exist. How's this for a compromise?
In round 205293, named the syndicate team family "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT". Claims to have done so as a joke about a nuke op team named specifically after stations they are tasked with blowing up, but the possible connection between the chosen maps being unpopular and this being a lazy statement about them is still present. This is a bit much even for a nuke op name and, while we do normally give a lot of leeway for jokes or memes in op family names, this is past what I'd consider the acceptable limit. Additionally, please try to keep nuke op names to something shorter than 3 words in the future.
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686457

Vekter wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:51 pm I can't use the original version of the note because it quotes policy that doesn't exist.
Could you replace the quoted part with the new part you wrote, then, to preserve the way the old note was phrased? Like:
In round 205293, named the syndicate team family "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT". This is a bit much even for a nuke op name and, while we do normally give a lot of leeway for jokes or memes in op family names, this is past what I'd consider the acceptable limit. Please try to keep nuke op names to something shorter than 3 words in the future.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #686464

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:36 pm
Vekter wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:51 pm I can't use the original version of the note because it quotes policy that doesn't exist.
Could you replace the quoted part with the new part you wrote, then, to preserve the way the old note was phrased? Like:
In round 205293, named the syndicate team family "FUCK TRAM FUCK NORTHSTAR FUCK BIRDSHIT". This is a bit much even for a nuke op name and, while we do normally give a lot of leeway for jokes or memes in op family names, this is past what I'd consider the acceptable limit. Please try to keep nuke op names to something shorter than 3 words in the future.
Yeah, fine.
Spoiler:

kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #686511

We're glad to see this has been resolved amicably.