Xander3359
Byond Username: Xander3359

[Cheshify] Xander3359 - Permaban

Post by Xander3359 » #686757

BYOND account: Xander3359
Character name: Xander Mercury
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Metacomms + BanbaitingMade an ahelp claiming they were crit by another player for no reason. when Xander entered the holodeck and began messing with the controls. Discussion with the critting player aledges that Xander3359 had contected them over a private discord voice call, in which Xander claimed they would get on and screw with the holodeck. The fact that Xander instantly got on and zeroed in on the player they allegedly said they'd screw with in a voice call, then ahelped and disconnected, makes me believe this needs to be resolved on the forums.
Time ban was placed: 2023-05-22 01:49:38
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: 206640
Your side of the story: After looking at the crew manifest, I thought it would be funny to jokingly mess with another player, Daniel Cola, who is infamous for always using the 1218 AD setting on the holodeck for the swords and armor that they generate. In a VC prior to the round starting, I jokingly told Daniel over discord that I would eventually join the server and mess with them a little, so I join in as an assistant and set the holodeck to the classroom setting, and sat myself in one of the chairs while I tabbed back out to the youtube video I was watching. Daniel then comes back and murders me with a stun baton, so I proceed to do what I would do if it were any other person who would have killed me after changing a holodeck setting and ahelped it.
Cheshify then answered the ahelp asking for context, and I answered explaining that I got off the arrivals shuttle and changed the holodeck setting, after a while I then disconnected to finish watching my youtube video since I wasn't particularly interested in the round and didn't expect any other responses from the ahelp in question. I am making this ban appeal since the ban says "makes me believe this needs to be resolved on the forums"
Why you think you should be unbanned: I do admit that I do deserve some form of ban, since I did metacomm by messaging a player who I knew was in-game about something that I would join the server to do (change the holodeck mode), but I think a permanent ban is disproportionate to the rule that was broken. Outside of this I have always striven to follow the rules, and I try to be a positive influence on the rounds that I do play in as I'm sure multiple people would be willing to admit.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Re: [Cheshify] Xander3359 - Permaban

Post by Cheshify » #686760

Alright. I'll be reducing the ban to a dayban for metacommunication shortly and editing the note to reflect that. Your honesty about the situation is appreciated, and discussing rounds OOCly is strictly prohibited, make sure that this is the last case of it. You were not online at the time, and the entire situation was incredibly shady when I was confronted with Daniel Cola's side of the story.

Someone joining the server, messing with another player, ahelping them when they were crit (not killed, you were brought to medbay), and then finding out that they were part of some metacommunication incident lights up every red flag possible. Getting your context is very important here.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Xander3359

Post by Xander3359 » #686762

That's reasonable and I appreciate the understanding.
I do admit I woke up early so I am a bit tired and my decision making isn't at it's peak right now, but this really was intended to be a harmless practical joke that escalated a bit more than I expected.
So I do want to apologize for wasting your time.
I'll make sure to be more mindful about this in the future, as I usually am quite careful about these kinds of things normally.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #686764

Ban shortened to one day and a note was added linking to this appeal. I feel the context is important for this situation. Want me to wrap this up?
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Xander3359

Post by Xander3359 » #686765

Yes please. Thanks.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #686768

I'll just leave this open in-case the unban doesn't wear off by a proper time 24 hours from now.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #686962

The ban's expired, so I'll be resolving this.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta