[vekter] Psyentific - Crashing this server

Appeals which have been closed.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

[vekter] Psyentific - Crashing this server

Post by Psyentific » #160785

Byond account and character name: Psyentific/Janet Williams
Banning admin: vekter
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Permabanned from servers, and also apparently can't post outside of FNR
Ban reason and length: Failing to crash this server with no survivors, perma
Time ban was placed (including time zone): See attached screenshots
Your side of the story: A good friend of mine stumbled across a way to crash the server right around the time Goofchem was first implemented. It wound up being something with Dark Matter and Smoke affecting each other and lagging the server to death. He messages me and tells me to do it and I, not having seriously played spess for seasons, figure what the heck. Blaze of glory, right? I log in, roll Chemist and miraculously roll Traitor to boot. Oh boy, a free pass to griff, right? So I whip up the serverkiller grenade inside of five minutes, run into the bar and announce my intentions. Grenade goes off, CLF3/Dark Matter smoke goes everywhere annnd the server neither crashes nor lags. Turns out that before messaging me he'd also messaged Goofball(?) and they'd put in a hotfix a few rounds before. The logs here tell the rest: pastebin.com/srZENj0d

Why you think you should be unbanned: It's been over a year, I didn't even crash the server in the first place, and I'm usually a pretty decent player. I don't make it a habit to crash servers or grief 4nr - I really only did this because I didn't care about the consequences (ie perma) because I didn't play anymore anyway. I know what I did was wrong and I am sorry.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Re: [vekter] Psyentific - Crashing this server

Post by Hornygranny » #160823

Vekter is no longer an admin. I personally don't see any reason to unban somebody who thinks they're justified in ruining the round of everyone else because they think they're entitled to some kind of "blaze of glory" or that no harm was done because it didn't work.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #160826

Five minutes after round start is hardly a round started, much less ruined. Nobody had any time to do much of anything. Furthermore, it's precisely because it didn't work that no harm was done. The only round ruined was the Bartender, and even then only because of the giant ClF3-induced hole in his floor which is pretty easy to fix.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #160834

It seems like a lot of the older admins dislike you
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #160836

I just looked at your notes, it's a no for me.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #160839

Personally I remember you being one of the worst players on the server.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #160850

Sometinyprick wrote:Personally I remember you being one of the worst players on the server.
Really? I don't remember you at all. Surely, I can't be worse than Paprika, CDB or Pasikonik.
TechnoAlchemist wrote:It seems like a lot of the older admins dislike you
With good reason - I was an arrogant shit with a short fuse back in the bad ol' days. I had one gimmick and I ran it into the ground, then pitched a fit when people didn't like it. On more than one occasion I've had people ask me if I was still banned from /tg/ for Cargonian bullshit and, in retrospect, I'm kinda surprised I wasn't ever banned for the shit I pulled round after round. It's been a few years since then, though, and I'm significantly less terrible now. Part of the reason I'm appealing this perma is because my playstyle and attitude have changed significantly since then - I get a lot less worked up about spess nowadays, I don't IC in OOC when I get salty, I don't kill people for consistently annoying me, and I'm generally a lot more chill nowadays. On top of that, with BYOND 510 killing lag, the gooncode release and Bagil being populated and having a map rotation, it seems to me like spess is a lot less shitty nowadays. I kinda wish I wasn't perma'd, just so I wouldn't have to go through this whole song and dance of convincing people who don't like me that I'm not that bad honest.

The other reason I'm appealing this perma is because it's a longstanding /tg/ policy that permabans are essentially 6M+ bans, rather than truly permanent. That is, the unspoken policy is that if someone appeals a perma, give them a probation and enough rope to hang themselves and see what they do with it. There have been plenty of other permabans lifted on /tg/ for things that are arguably worse than trying (and failing) to crash the server - metashit in particular has the potential to become a community-consuming scourge. If these goys can get conditional unbans, why not me?

It seems to me like most of the older admins have already made up their minds based on their pre-existing opinions of me, and most of the newer admins are either going along with it or taking their word for it. I can blather as much as I want about turning over a new leaf, but unless you give me a chance I'll have nothing to back it up.
Last edited by Psyentific on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #160852

Those bans have nothing to do with you, and have even less to do with your ban reason.

Trying to hold setting arrivals on fire in the same light as intentionally crashing the server because you're 2cool4rules doesn't make this look much better.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #160854

A permaban is still a permaban, and setting arrivals on fire or metacomming because you're 2cool4rules differs from this case only in magnitude. At the end of the day, you still gave them a second chance after they blatantly and knowingly did something shitty. The only significant difference between me and them is that they're randoms and I have a prior history of shittery - I can say I've changed, you can say I haven't, but unless I get a chance to play it's just going to be back and forth bantz because nobody can prove or disprove anything.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #160862

Psyentific wrote:
Sometinyprick wrote:Personally I remember you being one of the worst players on the server.
Really? I don't remember you at all. Surely, I can't be worse than Paprika, CDB or Pasikonik.
I've been playing since 2012 and you were just as bad as cdb when playing sec if not worse, but that's my opinion and largely irrelevant.
Point is I wouldn't hold much hope for an unban, with your ban history and intentionally trying to crash server you pretty much fucked yourself over despite tgs long history of second,third even fourth chances.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #160865

Sometinyprick wrote:Point is I wouldn't hold much hope for an unban, with your ban history and intentionally trying to crash server you pretty much fucked yourself over despite tgs long history of second,third even fourth chances.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly my ban history is mostly IC in OOC, and even that tapered off once Saegrimr(?) implemented cumulative penalties for it.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #160866

You have two bans for actively trying to be the shittiest security officer.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #160868

Sometinyprick wrote:You have two bans for actively trying to be the shittiest security officer.
Yeah, I remember that. That was one time, and I got a weekban(?) and a Sec jobban for it. Was pretty fun in the moment, but I wouldn't do it again, especially given my history. Not worth it.

Edit: The rest of the time as Sec I was genuinely trying to be good at it. It kinda stings for you to compare me to CDB and say I really was that bad, because CDB basically replaced his brain with a book of Space Law and I always saw that as the pinnacle of how not to do it. Even at the height of my guncargo, I was trying not to be terrible, to talk people down instead of shooting first, don't pick fights with security, and generally to not be a shit.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #160893

>Didn't crash the server
>Permabanned

Someone was fishing for a reason
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #160895

oranges wrote:>Didn't crash the server
>Permabanned

Yeah just like how SoS didn't actually DDoS the server and is still permabanned.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #160896

Saegrimr wrote:
>Permabanned

Yeah just like how SoS didn't actually DDoS the server and is still permabanned.
Actively attempting to do something (and failing) is different from threatening to do something.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #160902

Sometinyprick wrote: Actively attempting to do something (and failing) is different from threatening to do something.
True, but they both have the same effect - nothing happens, people don't notice or care. In effect, a Chemist melted a hole in the bar. Boo hoo.
>Permabanned

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. It seems to me like administration has already made up their mind and isn't willing to make any compromises or hear any arguments - the possibility of me being unperma'd and placed on probation hasn't even been mentioned and the one headmin who's replied has basically said "no. and after checking your notes, lolno"
Last edited by Psyentific on Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #160908

Imma reason with you chap, buddy, amigo, compadre etc etc. Here is your average tg life cycle:

Say you are leaving forever
Come back
Chronically complain about everything, players, code and so on
Leave by saying you will never play on this server again.

Rinse and repeat. To be honest they've done you a service, they've broken this endless and frankly asinine cycle. Be free, don't waste your precious time here if you hate it so much. I mean it's okay to hate all the players and the code and most of the admins. I hate them too, I'll also tell it to their faces. What I don't do is make massive drama about leaving and never coming back and then like clockwork I come back a couple of months later.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #160919

Okay, Invoking an0n3. Sorry. I do have to comment that it does sound like your friend was fishing for a reason to get you banned, especially having gotten the issue fixed through goof. He did you a favor bro.
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master

Post by Sometinyprick » #161030

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. It seems to me like administration has already made up their mind and isn't willing to make any compromises or hear any arguments - the possibility of me being unperma'd and placed on probation hasn't even been mentioned and the one headmin who's replied has basically said "no. and after checking your notes, lolno"
It doesn't really matter what the administration thinks of you only what the head admins think. Hell if it were up to me being the fucking idiot I am I would probably give you one "last" chance, but it's not up to me only the headmins can decide what to do with you and we are currently going through an election so I guess you will have to wait and see who gets elected. If you want to dispute hg about his decision your best bet would be to contact him on IRC you can find him in #supportbus or #coderbus

imo you should take colonics advice, two weeks ago you said you were glad to be permabanned from this server and I doubt another two month run is going to change your opinion about the admins or players.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #161105

Given that HG has said no, this is pretty much all just water under the bridge now. You could try appealing directly to another new headmin when they come into "office", and try to get this appeal up again.

Until then this is resolved as a headmin has given there "no" already.

PM me if theres anything that desperately needs adding
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box