Admin Feedback Poll

Tell the admins how you think they're doing.

Should Admin Feedback stay?

Poll ended at Mon May 05, 2014 12:58 am

Yes
26%
Yes
26%
Yes
26%
No
5%
No
5%
No
5%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 87

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Admin Feedback Poll

Post by MrStonedOne » #2264

I want to know if admin feedback has served its purpose with the advent of these new forums. When I proposed this idea in like, late January, I expected it to be a way for people to raise minor complaints (with bans or how admins handled bans) or cheer admins on that handle situations well consistently.

Of course I expected shitposting, 1-sentence edgy sniping from people who were buttmad about bans and all, but for the most part that was almost overshadowed by the amount of people who had at least a vague grasp on administrating enough to make a personal judgement on an admin's ability or provide constructive criticism.

It was completely optional for admins, as in, they had no obligation to respond to their threads at all, but it was an opportunity for them to defend themselves as far as explaining the thought process that brought them to make a judgement on a ban request or appeal, if the community or people involved were confused or made assumptions. The reason I had this medium opened up was because mediums that already existed (IRC, pms, etc) were not being used and I found personally that replying to threads to express something was easier than making a whole new admin complaint thread for a minor issue.

Admin feedback turned into some kind of 'admin reviews' completely without my input in the end, which completely ruined the purpose of them in an attempt to restrict the feedback people gave, as a result of some of the shitposting. Understandable, but it basically ruined this forum's purpose and it doesn't seem like it was a complete success or something people used very much outside of some minor posts here and there. This isn't only the fault of the players either, admins didn't really contribute to their threads as much as I'd like to have seen.

So I'd like to know the opinion of people who lurk FNR and especially from admins. Odds are, this forum will just be scrapped and we'll go back to using PMs/IRC/steam/whatever as a medium for people to talk to admins. I'd rather that happen myself, honestly, as this doesn't seem like the type of community to benefit from this forum in the long run.
Last edited by paprika on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Admin Feedback Poll

Post by Psyentific » #2265

I feel free to both compliment admins on situations well handled and insult/criticize admins on situations poorly handled, as well as offer advice that is better said publically than privately. I think it's fine as-is.

I admit that most of my feedback has been positive, but that's mostly because I haven't really had negative experiences with the admins yet.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #2269

I would rather have this place exist than not exist, I think.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #2287

I very much enjoy using this forum to see what people have to say about trialmins.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #2310

I like having an open forum for people to air feedback. I can only imagine that the administration here is intelligent enough to sift through the shitposts (or else they wouldn't be admins) and take whatever is posted to improve themselves.
Pandarsenic wrote:I would rather have this place exist than not exist, I think.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #2336

Stickied this thread for now.
All admin feedback threads were also all formatted to match and missing ones were added.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #2440

The poll is confusing...

If we say yes does that mean we think it should go away or that it has served its purpose?
If we say no, is that a no it has not served its purpose or no it should stay?
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #2445

I like admin feedback, it feeds my manical admin ego.
Nah but rly, good feedback means "kee doing this", and it think it helps with burnout.
I play Boris Pepper.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #2455

AseaHeru wrote:The poll is confusing...

If we say yes does that mean we think it should go away or that it has served its purpose?
If we say no, is that a no it has not served its purpose or no it should stay?
If you click yes, you want it to stay.
If you click no, you want it gone.
Pretty straight forward.
alien219
Byond Username: Ali-en219

Post by alien219 » #2485

Not everyone in adminlist has their own thread.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #2545

Overlooked admins taking the initiative to start their own threads or
asking NikNak to start one for them would help alot.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #2562

Who'd I miss??
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #2954

Well the main problem I had with it was the old board moderators being forced to set restrictions on feedback as a result of shit eater passive aggressive shit this subforum could really do without, but other than that I'm glad something from that 3-hour TS discussion worked.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #3003

Having an open panel for well constructed criticism is fantastic. If in some hypothetical nega-universe where I felt the need to subject myself with the trials and tribulations of becoming an admin, I would scan my own thread a lot more than I'd like to admit.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #3026

Poll title fixed to be a bit clearer.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #3454

It should be anonymous.

Noone wants to shit talk admins, because admins will remember it the next time they see a prayer or a request from that player.

Thus, I abstain.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #3458

tunderchief wrote:It should be anonymous.

Noone wants to shit talk admins, because admins will remember it the next time they see a prayer or a request from that player.

Thus, I abstain.
^
Anonymous feedback would be interesting to see.
I play Boris Pepper.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #3504

On the simple basis that it will be abused to leave volatile comments, no. If you have a problem with an admin personally, you need to be the one talking. If you can't make replies to threads in a tactful manner or you want to 'shit talk' admins then you probably don't need to be making feedback in the first place.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #3605

paprika wrote:On the simple basis that it will be abused to leave volatile comments, no. If you have a problem with an admin personally, you need to be the one talking. If you can't make replies to threads in a tactful manner or you want to 'shit talk' admins then you probably don't need to be making feedback in the first place.

It's a matter of what's the lesser of two evils, abuse of anonymity, or abuse of administrative power.

Personally, I think being able to post as Anonymous is better at showing the truth, and less volatile or scummy than an admin saying 'Oh, well I'll remember who not to include in events next time' in response to criticism, which I have seen very often from admins and headmins alike.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #3657

tunderchief wrote:It's a matter of what's the lesser of two evils, abuse of anonymity, or abuse of administrative power.
But one of those things already has a pretty damn effective system in place to prevent it. And if you want to be anonymous and have relevant info, PM an uninvolved 'min and request they post your whatever by proxy. Or hell, PM one of the really vocal forum goers who keep slinging shit at the admins, they'd surely be happy to have something solid to sling for once.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #3678

You do realize that this sort of thing is literally exactly what the community advocates are for, then?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #3715

but they're getting the axe soon, pandar.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #3718

they're being "re-evaluated" or some shit
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #373573

In retrospect it's interesting how little admin feedback was actually feedback and how much of it was just complaints that would never have managed to stand on their own in a formal complaint thread.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #373598

nice necro demon
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo