[Deleted] Hail Mary: The Campaign

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

SpacePrius

Byond Username: SpacePrius

Hail Mary: The Campaign

Postby SpacePrius » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:43 am #509812

Hey I'm Prius! You probably haven't seen me around on the forums often because i'm a zoomer who sits around on the discord, but I have been pretty active in the community over the past couple of months.

So I have noticed some things around the community and I think I have nailed down the biggest problems to just general server culture issues. The lack of consistency between admins, players, and servers is actually ridiculous and I think it can hurt our reputation. Nobody seems to know exactly what the community stands for or even what it's core values are.

Honestly that is what I want to work on. I want players to be able to log on here and have a consistent play experience. I want players and admins to have an expectation of what they are getting into when they log on to play this game on a Friday night because they have no friends or whatever.

I have a lot of experience with working on and fixing the culture of large communities so I think that I have a decent chance of fixing this.

I don't expect to win, but by not running I'm immediately shooting myself in the foot anyway, so I might as well give it a shot.

PS: if I win I'll bring back cat girls.
Last edited by SpacePrius on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostThis post was deleted by CitrusGender on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:36 pm.
Reason: can't believe someone with such a cute avatar could do me so wrong :cry:
View this post

Ayy Lemoh

Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Hail Mary: The Campaign

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:46 am #509815

SpacePrius wrote:PS: if I win I'll bring back cat girls.

i thought that topic was dead.

Anyways, catgirls are still alive. It's just old-players-only content. That's a good place to leave catgirls and never touch again, I believe.

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:50 am #509819

The promise is a freeze on catgirl related PRs up until the end of this year. Which falls into this term.

Speaking of which, do you plan to force your wishes upon a community who doesn't want it so? The last vote would point towards more people wanting them gone, and I expect that number has only risen with time. Will you put through a vote, or just fuck what people say and effectively do the opposite of what lziman did?

SpacePrius

Postby SpacePrius » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:59 am #509824

Yes it does fall into this term, I believe it is some time in November, oranges has it marked.

I know a good amount of people who want cat girls back, especially given that the ssethtide are here now and a lot of them are massive fucking weebs. It would be an in game vote again though since the last one was also done by vote.

elyina

Byond Username: Elyina

Postby elyina » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:22 am #509836

you will NEVER, EVER get a cat slot, ssethtide scum

Arathian

Byond Username: Arathian

Postby Arathian » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:40 am #509848

elyina wrote:you will NEVER, EVER get a cat slot, ssethtide scum

incorrect
Iron, blood and spider armies

actioninja
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Actioninja

Postby actioninja » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:13 am #509868

SpacePrius wrote:PS: if I win I'll bring back cat girls.

this guy is still buttblasted he doesn't have a catgirl slot

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Postby Arianya » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:44 am #509950

You note consistency as a bugbear of yours. Typically this has been enforced at the headmin level by oversight on ban appeals/admin feedback/admin complaints/policy discussion. I presume you're intending something more then this, but I would note that as the time of writing there are 40 something admins between the various ranks, with some fluctuation due to inactivity and new trials. Experienced managers with better control over their staff would have trouble managing 40 people on the trot, let alone the issues of timezones, 24/7 activity and the fact that admins often operate in grey zones that require personal judgement. I'd be curious what general thoughts you have about improving consistency with this in mind.

Also, not to discourage you in any way, but a head admin term is 6 months of /tg/ being your daily grind. I can't overstate that /tg/ will be as much a part of your life as breakfast, lunch and dinner for 6 months. Long time, dedicated players with good track records as administrators have been burnt out by it and either taken breaks from the game or left the community entirely. You're a rather recent arrival (no hate, new players are often some of our most creative) - are you certain you're ready for what the position entails?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

SpacePrius

Postby SpacePrius » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:21 pm #510084

Generally I'm going to be banking on a lot of experience I got with managing a 5000+ member discord server over the past few years. We had a lot of issues with server culture which we are still reigning in from to this day. Honestly my plan for fixing this would be as follows.

0 tolerance for shitters. I mean it, if an admin is under the belief that you are joining just to be a powergaming fuckwit, you need to be terminated ASAP before they gain a hold on the community and veer it in a bad direction.

Secondly, we need to do an "audit" of all the admins
This doesn't mean a "fire admins I don't like lol" but more of, I want to figure out time zones, temperament, and various other factors and coordinate admins based on that. I want admining to be less "do it whenever" and more of a responsibility that you need to set aside time for.

A lot of the worst shit happens when no admins are online in weird timezones like AU with a low playercount. So it's essential that we both get admins more evenly spread and also make sure that admins with similar temperament are working together.

Another thing is that if admins fuck up there have to be more consequences available than just "you are fired lol." Firing an admin should be a last resort so we need to increase our repetoir for that. I would talk with both the players and the admins to figure out a strategy that will work for everyone on that.

As for the time constraints, I can't promise that I will be the most active fucker ever to walk the earth, but i will be as active in the community as I can be given my circumstances, and even if I am not playing the game for whatever reason I will be active on the discord and within the community

Plapatin
In-Game Game Master

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Postby Plapatin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:31 pm #510089

SpacePrius wrote:Secondly, we need to do an "audit" of all the admins
This doesn't mean a "fire admins I don't like lol" but more of, I want to figure out time zones, temperament, and various other factors and coordinate admins based on that. I want admining to be less "do it whenever" and more of a responsibility that you need to set aside time for.

fuck you pay me
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

actioninja
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Actioninja

Postby actioninja » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:34 pm #510094

You want to know how you get burnt out admins who don't play at all?

NecromancerAnne

Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Postby NecromancerAnne » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:35 pm #510096

Fuck you, pay me.

Thunder11
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Postby Thunder11 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:39 pm #510099

SpacePrius wrote:Generally I'm going to be banking on a lot of experience I got with managing a 5000+ member discord server over the past few years. We had a lot of issues with server culture which we are still reigning in from to this day. Honestly my plan for fixing this would be as follows.

If elected, will you be remaining in your role with that discord community, or do you plan to step down from that to focus on your duties here?

SpacePrius wrote:0 tolerance for shitters. I mean it, if an admin is under the belief that you are joining just to be a powergaming fuckwit, you need to be terminated ASAP before they gain a hold on the community and veer it in a bad direction.

What rule changes are you planning to allow for this to happen?

Do you have any plans to pay admins a salary for their work. If so, how much would it be?

SpacePrius wrote:A lot of the worst shit happens when no admins are online in weird timezones like AU with a low playercount. So it's essential that we both get admins more evenly spread and also make sure that admins with similar temperament are working together.

What plans do you have for recruiting more admins from specific timezones, and why are they any better than what is done currently?

SpacePrius wrote:Another thing is that if admins fuck up there have to be more consequences available than just "you are fired lol." Firing an admin should be a last resort so we need to increase our repetoir for that. I would talk with both the players and the admins to figure out a strategy that will work for everyone on that.

What form will these new consequences take, and in what situations will they be applied?
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!

That's thinking on your feet, soldier!

Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all

oranges wrote:

Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.

Can be found on singulo: !!pQe.6/5m0Y
Ruiner of Fun [Badmin], leave feedback at: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578

Gigapuddi420

Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:11 pm #510110

Getting a general idea of when each admin is typically active might help with organizing coverage even if it's just about working out which timezones you currently lack and should focus on for recruitment (tip: it's the Australian hours) but I can't see how you're going to require actual work shifts out of a volunteer position team. Do you have some kind of unique solution to this problem?

edited to remove obligatory payment joke, instead I pussied out and decided to try and keep this constructive.
Last edited by Gigapuddi420 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.

BeeSting12
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Postby BeeSting12 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:15 pm #510112

Fuck you, pay me.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day

[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

oranges
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Postby oranges » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:23 pm #510134

okay dipshits we get the point, knock it off

Reeeee

Byond Username: LibbySnow

Postby Reeeee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 pm #510142

Zero effort, literally "who is" and is going to nazi the rules and make admins hate their job so that's cool.

No.
signnatrire

deedubya
Confined to the shed

Byond Username: Deedubya

Postby deedubya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 am #510283

SpacePrius wrote:0 tolerance for shitters. I mean it, if an admin is under the belief that you are joining just to be a powergaming fuckwit, you need to be terminated ASAP before they gain a hold on the community and veer it in a bad direction.

Already lost my vote here. Admins aren't perfect arbiters of right and wrong(as has been demonstrated many, many times) and putting this much faith in their subjective viewpoint is not a good thing. We should be holding admins more accountable to the community they volunteer to serve, not giving them 100% free reign to decide who stays and who gets kicked off the island.

also fuck you pay them
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head

wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums

IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior

Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!

TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.

Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:24 pm.
Reason: fuck you peanut post
View this post

confused rock

Byond Username: The unloved rock

Postby confused rock » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm #510436

though I strongly agree with most of this I couldn't trust someone with no admin experience and who has literally been here a couple months as a headmin

PostThis post was deleted by capn_monkeypaw on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:33 pm.
Reason: orange man mad
View this post

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:24 pm #510463

This headmin thread reeks of inexperience in our community.
Admins aren't infallible and they shouldn't be given the power to unilaterally decide someone's fate in the community.
Admins are also volunteers, most of whom are in college or have careers. You CANNOT make activity mandatory without destroying the staff team.
We are not slaves, and any headmin who wants to treat the admin team as such would rightfully be ousted.

SpacePrius

Postby SpacePrius » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:32 am #510643

After talking with nervore and some other people i've decided to weaken my position on admin responsibility. Thanks for your critique on my shitty 15 minute toilet pitch.

wesoda25

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:39 pm #510858

What does that mean, “weaken your position”? Are you completely dropping the point? Are you dropping that point simply due to pressure, or because you actually realize why its a bad idea?

NoxVS

Byond Username: NoxVS

Postby NoxVS » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 pm #511115

SpacePrius wrote:So I have noticed some things around the community and I think I have nailed down the biggest problems to just general server culture issues. The lack of consistency between admins, players, and servers is actually ridiculous and I think it can hurt our reputation. Nobody seems to know exactly what the community stands for or even what it's core values are.

Honestly that is what I want to work on. I want players to be able to log on here and have a consistent play experience. I want players and admins to have an expectation of what they are getting into when they log on to play this game on a Friday night because they have no friends or whatever.

I have a lot of experience with working on and fixing the culture of large communities so I think that I have a decent chance of fixing this.

Ok so what the fuck does any of this mean. You somehow managed to base like your entire platform on fucking nothing. The headmin threads saying they are going to change escalation have more substance than this. You just said the server culture is a problem and you are going to fix it and that was it.

HiKewne

Byond Username: HiKewne

Postby HiKewne » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:06 am #512289

Wait you're telling me this isn't just shitposting? Hell, Dorf had more chances of winning and did say actually more stuff

Return to Archived/Deleted