[Deleted] Shadowflame909 - One policy type of guy

Resolved.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Shadowflame909 - One policy type of guy

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:29 am #509839

Hello. This is my thread. Time and Time again I've seen headmins promise for some change to escalation. Something to drive this server back up in quality. To be quite honest. I believe I have the solution to this problem. A very clear one that solves this massive elephant in the room that code-base has tried to drive away. With things like medical changes to make violence that much of a harsher approach and an act, you're not going to get away with so easily. As well as things like Mood and Hygiene to incentivize some sort of co-operation added onto all the other attempts at departmental cooperation.

Majority wise. It's been a flop that for reasons, seems to be quite obvious. If people can't see eye to eye with each other. Departmental cooperation and other mechanics to incentivize socializing on SS13. Simply serve as fuel to the fire that is our escalation ruling. One guy punches another, weapons get drawn. Then someone dies. If the guy who started it kills the other guy. They're going to begrudgingly revive the guy they killed whilst they barricade themselves to try and stop their impending doom. If they win that second encounter. Then they can leave the body to rot.

You can call it kill-baiting. But it certainly isn't something that is favored by any headmin elect, or anyone running for the position.

So to get on with my idea. This shall be my one and only policy that I am running on.

I am completely removing the escalation rules

The ruling is out of place in the design and goal of many players. If a player wrongs you. So what? You're not a vigilante. You're a corporate worker with a job to do. And corporate certainly doesn't want to be wasting time and money because two employees decided to turn into psychopaths.

There will be no addition to the rules to amend this. The rules are very plentiful and can be completely functional without escalation.

How will this be enforced?

We have a court-room. We have a security team. We also have a boxing ring, and sometimes a rage-cage. Petty squabbles can be enforced through all these means that don't turn players into antagonist-lite.

Do you see any benefits to removing the rule?

I theorize that this will lead to the bad-eggs in the playerbase who are burnt-out and can only find any joy in acting like a dick to other players to be more severely punished. Yep. Rule 1* will be more utilized to give a day to week-long breaks to players who most definitively need them. If you want to play a monster hunter, The gateway and lavaland are for you.

This shall finally bring the pathway the codebase is heading in and the rules more closely into synchronization. Many people have said that /tg/ is MRP. I haven't felt that ring true at all. Maybe 4 years ago. Definitively not now. Not with this clash of code-base decisions and rules that the playerbase play by. Looking at things like mood and assimilation. Also even that whole war-ops fiasco. The rules and coder-design are clearly contrasted. This removal fixes all that.

Now why am I the guy who will do this right?

Everyone always talks about changing escalation, fixing it. I haven't seen any ideas implemented for the four years I've been on /tg/. I also believe that the ruling is unfixable and is at odds with everything else /tg/ is.

So for one. This shall be my only policy. No other things I'll be trying to work towards that will take me away from seeing this through. It'll get done. Otherwise, why would I be running?

Secondly, I am very passionate about this game. Look through GitHub and you'll see me writing some sort of lame essay about how I think coders are playing a different game. I'm constantly the guy trying to keep /tg/ fun over being balanced. I've been prone to over-reactions. But I think that only further shows the depth of my passion for /tg/!

Lastly, I do not have a third reason.

So, I hope you liked what you're reading. I've done my fair share of dumb things, but like many others. We just want to see the community continue to improve.

Improvement is ultimately the goal of all the headmins. Is it not?

Edit: I said the wrong rule. Meant rule 1

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Shadowflame909 - One policy type of guy

Postby Arianya » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:48 am #509951

Aside from the absurdity of your proposed "I'll remove this policy and things will be resolved by this other route but I won't put this in the rules" issue, you're explicitly naming yourself a single issue candidate. Why should people vote for you if you're a complete mystery on every other issue? Are you going to ignore all headmin issues that aren't about this one policy? Headmins have to put in a decent amount of work in ban appeals/admin complaints/policy discussion. Do you intend to ignore this work for 6 months, excepting where it's relevant to your single issue?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:29 pm #510033

Arianya wrote:Aside from the absurdity of your proposed "I'll remove this policy and things will be resolved by this other route but I won't put this in the rules" issue, you're explicitly naming yourself a single issue candidate. Why should people vote for you if you're a complete mystery on every other issue? Are you going to ignore all headmin issues that aren't about this one policy? Headmins have to put in a decent amount of work in ban appeals/admin complaints/policy discussion. Do you intend to ignore this work for 6 months, excepting where it's relevant to your single issue?

By one policy. I simply mean that this shall be my strongest stance. That doesn't mean I won't handle ban appeals, admin complains and policy discussion.

But for the other issues like Felinds, ERP, Gateway, and the config are simply things I am fine with right now. Because I believe such a change like this one will most definitively radically shift the server in one way.

Simply put like this. I believe the codebase is going in one direction, while the rules are staying pretty stagnant. I believe this one policy shall further put the two branches into more synchronization. It'll also ease off the codebases issue of getting swarmed by people "playing a completely different game then the code is suggesting."

What I do not want is the playerbase agonizing over, is beating up that assistant who stole their job important items. Now they're getting organ surgery for their wounds while the assistant is completely unrevivable since cloning is gone and he's been dead for too long.

The game will simply be more agonizing to play. So by more deeply into One Policy? I want more synchronization for a more fun game to play.

Otherwise, I really think everything else is basically fine in its current state.

Spoiler:

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Nabski

Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Postby Nabski » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:58 pm #510795

What do you have to say to allegations that you were playing on the server while underage.

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:06 pm #510798

Those who make said allegations have made the same against anyone with a bit of negativity against them.

I won't feed the trolls. Im passionate about /tg/ and my passion does not have time to be stopped by petty investigations

We can focus on that after the election.

Thanks for the question, Nabski.

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Byond Username: LibbySnow

Postby Reeeee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:55 pm #510813

Shadowflame909 wrote:allegations

I can personally verify that Shadowflame is aged 50 and to tell more is DOXX.

But, you are aware that medical changes, that you seem to base your one policy thread on are being actively worked on at this very moment and we have literal PLACEHOLDERS (if i understood that thread correctly) in the game now serving as "fuck, have something in there" items as the PRs finish? Yes?
That whatever you current stance is might be completely revoked to have any standing on tomorrow or the next day when next PR arrives and meds are not shit anymore and medical works now?
And that your entire platform is standing on a rock that is rolling down the hill, so to speak, and you wish to enforce rules for the entire duration of your candidacy on this one single matter that's time related to be over in, what, month, two?
That's six months of you defending something that became irrelevant half the way in

If you want to voice your concerns that meds are shit, there's other places for that other than making permanent rule changes for stuff that's not permanent but a change in a direction by coders who work for free.

Is it really so important to you that you NEED TO tard wrangle everyone everywhere for six months and take the flak for when shit fails to get this one change passed?

If not, go scream "orange man bad" on OOC, that's what the rest of us are doing for no discernible reason when it's cobbychems.

If you really, honestly feel like that this one thing will fix everything wrong right now and can make assurances you will invest in your term, then good luck on your election!
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:54 pm #510824

I've always been of the opinion that the codebase has influenced the direction of this game more then rules ever had and ever could.

Over these last headmin periods. The rules have standed stagnantly whilst the codebases direction ever changes.

It has been pressed and said over and over again in the codebase that they're focusing towards this goal.

A. Making death more meaningful. IE: Survival is much harsher edition.

This can be seen in the change to medical downsides that require competency and synchronization.

This is not where this ends though, as an impending cloner removal rapidly comes.

Once more I felt like the need for a rule change, specifically the removal of the escalation ruling can amend my grievances, and I hope the playerbase will see it the same way.

Ultimately this change will have the benefit of...

1. Getting more use out of the more promising in game mechanics we have: With escalation, lawyer is useless, HoP is nothing but a paperwork pusher, and holodeck and the boxing ring are rarely used if at all. This will most definitely change. The playerbase will be bound to look towards alternative methods for vengeance. What's better then the many non antag-lite ones we have?

Tgstation is most unwilling to part with minor grief. So they don't have to with this solution. The repercussions will necessary have to be toned down to deal with these systematic changes.

Call it a tune up if you will. Better then seeing players get away with murder as a non antagonist, when the IC guidelines for it should always lead to perma.

2. It'll boost the QoL of our most important teams. Admin and Codebase: Say what you will but we're currently bleeding out coders and maintainers. I believe the structural differences between the rules and code is stressing this.

A year or two ago. I myself said that I hated mood because it did the job of the rules and forced regulations upon you or else you'd be punished.

Structurally the maintainers of this half decade have strived for higher player standards. This has lead to a clash that is mentally poisoning every interaction we have.

Rules vouch for minor grief being allowed vigilantism whilst the code vouches for harsher punishments when going into combat and not taking into attention needs like hygiene (Gone for clashing of opinions and so went the coder) and mood.

More so on how this will help us,

The majority of ahelps. 75% at least involve some sort of dispute over minor grief and escalation. That can easily be done away with and lessened by relying on our underused mechanics.

Rule 1 will still exist, so even then it won't be that hard of an adjustment.

To summarize, this one ruling deletion will have many positive effects.

It'll stop the stagnation

Alieviate stress and burn out from both branches of power

It'll bring our branches closer, as they've been drifting apart. Designwise.

With all of these changes, is losing the ability to psychotically kill the clown over lubing you, and have him come back to seek vengeance worth the headache and harshness that'll come after you lose the cloner. With medical itself finds balance in becoming more cooperative, also having bit become less easier to get back up?

I know with a fact that with my reputation, there'd be no point in running otherwise if this change wasn't necessary.

Have faith in me and my dream /tg/ station, with other servers at my reflection and as evidence. This dream of the quality of life rising instead of going down.

Is much more possible then you think.

Thank you for the response, Reeeee.

Edit: fixed typos

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 am #511022

Valid opinions and you for sure are a valid candidate.
With that said, I don't think you have seen this entire thru to it's logical conclusion and need time to work on details with more input to serve as my headmin.
Your vision has yet to meet reality.

I see you and Virtual John driving more or less the same agenda; "we must have more rp to be better" from different perspectives, slower, more RP focused gameplay so get on with it you two, work on it.
I highly hope you two get a server, work on what works and what does not from rools perspective together even if you don't get the votes now to headmin.
You neither have proof this works yet you insist it must happen. Maybe it does, I'm not clairvoyant.
But, proof is in the pudding, i see nothing but words so far and i know my own autistic corner of SS13, bagel, won't support this and i think chaotic, faster gameplay is better environment for SS13 as a whole to exist in.
And I'll stick to that for now.
So, I hope you two get along and do something good for us, you have both passion for it and when you do prove it is a viable strategy and viable option with evidence and witnesses, you are the headmin(s).
As it is, i see another candidate doing the same thing but promising tests and "let's see what works first" approach instead, not outright mandate for it to be done.

Next time, if you prove with something visible to me that these changes are good, required and make game better, I'll be screaming for your support in the sidelines.
Unless, of course, vote is on you and you win.
Best of luck!
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 pm #511211

Reeeee wrote:Next time, if you prove with something visible to me that these changes are good, required and make game better, I'll be screaming for your support in the sidelines.
Unless, of course, vote is on you and you win.
Best of luck!

If evidence is what you need. Here's some good old stuffing.

The new code direction is currently and very literally breaking the rules as we know it

Cobby-Med has previously broken silicon policy as medical doctors would destroy organs and poison people trying to heal them. It's partially accidentally merged code, partially sabotage, and partially the need for medbay to become harsher.

So rule changes should not stay stagnant at this rate and synchronization with the code-base is needed immediately. Sillicon players have already dealt with the negative repercussions of this, and some of our favorite main-stays like Oil-Slick can no longer be so Oil-slippery.

Escalation calls for making amends after you harm someone. As we all know, there is an inevitable impending cloner removal. That the maintainer who calls for it says It's a necessary bandaid that must be ripped off.

If this happens without any utmost rule changes. Escalation will literally lose it's only protected from the Escalated and will turn into pure GRIEF.

So you brutally decided to murder the clown for lubing you. Now you gotta heal him. But whats this the defibs are in the lockers, and by the time you finally get to them. The body has too much damage and the defib time-limit has already passed.

Well sucks for them.

The main issue is that when you compare how the code works. It's just multiple people with the ability to go. "I like it." or "I hate it" and then it gets merged and solidified.

Headmins collaborating is a much more extensive process because you have to get three people to fully collaborate, and two to agree. This takes much longer than any code-change and leads to controversy. IE why everyone other campaigner promises to handle ban appeals and policy discussions faster.

So yes. I would say this would be a very necessary maintenance endeavor rather than fixing the issue when it breaks.

Might as well just call me the Global Warming candidate of /tg/. As I'm aware of this impending problem that must be actively fixed before it implodes on all of us.

So I would say it's required.

Now for making the game better. This would lower ahelps by at least 75%. The majority of them are about some sort of minor-grief that escalated into a full-blown murder attempt.

No more of that. The lawyer finally gets work in handling disputes. You can be sure that guy murdering the other guy is not just another regular employee at Nanotransen because that would no longer be normal worker behavior.

Holodeck gets used more. Boxing Ring gets used more. Murder lessens before it becomes unrecoverable.

My opinion is that this would make the game better. But other people play the game for different reasons. All I'm saying is, it's at the very least a required change and there's nothing anyone can do about it other than changing it after the travesty then before it.

So good. Yes. Required, absolutely. Make the game better? You at the very least wouldn't be perma-death thanks to botched escalation rules allowing griefers 2.0

Show me the proof shadowflame!!!

This isn't anything new. But it is a bit more heavy-immersion. Since it takes away the complete and utter immersion-breaking bullshit that is two crew-members going insane and murdering each other. Thus causing admin-involvement to figure out why this situation decided to involve so many people and why some player ended up murdering the entire security team.

Without escalation. All of a sudden the crew can't murder each other and will still have to go find other means to settle their grievances. This leads to some very company-like situations with a maybe captain authorized fight to the death/rage-cage.

It most likely will even have the downside/upside of seeing that guy always stealing insuls every round. getting temporarily rule 1'd for being an asshole.

The server is just rapidly changing far from the Kor days.

And it's adapt or die.

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:11 am #511229

Shadowflame909 wrote:It most likely will even have the downside/upside of seeing that guy always stealing insuls every round. getting temporarily rule 1'd for being an asshole.

I was with you up until this point, nodding "tru, tru, could work" to myself since your platform is remov escalations and i'm not inserting the fact i think it's bad personally into it.

Unless you literally made a honest mistake there formatting it, dot is in the wrong place.
If you did, consider this rant irrelevant but jesus the whiplash I got.
If it is, i'll remove the ranty bits and just agree with you in this post.

Removed, agreeing.
Last edited by Reeeee on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:28 am #511232

Reeeee wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:It most likely will even have the downside/upside of seeing that guy always stealing insuls every round. getting temporarily rule 1'd for being an asshole.

I was with you up until this point, nodding "tru, tru, could work" to myself since your platform is remov escalations and i'm not inserting the fact i think it's bad personally into it.

Since it needed more clarity. I meant the type of player that would shove-table stun an engineer. Grab the insuls off their hands and run away with them

I don't care about stealing from tech storage or whatever. I mean generally just robbing a person every round to start conflict. Thats the type of issue escalation provokes.

Thought this was a common escalation issue. seems to happen to players a lot when I come online

Another similar thing also would be like two chemists being active, and suddenly a botanist busts open your window and wrenchs your chem machine.

Without escalation, if it happens enough this would be the kind of situation admins would tell a player to "knock it off" for

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:53 am #511243

We got sidestepped by that a little with me suffering that whiplash, so sorry for that.
Glad it was resolved fast and doesn't inhabit your thread anymore.
Shadowflame909 wrote:Since it needed more clarity. I meant the type of player that would shove-table stun an engineer. Grab the insuls off their hands and run away with them

I don't care about stealing from tech storage or whatever. I mean generally just robbing a person every round to start conflict. Thats the type of issue escalation provokes.

Thought this was a common escalation issue. seems to happen to players a lot when I come online

Another similar thing also would be like two chemists being active, and suddenly a botanist busts open your window and wrenchs your chem machine.

Without escalation, if it happens enough this would be the kind of situation admins would tell a player to "knock it off" for

Are you the one doing it since its' you online :D?

I don't see that, no, not on bagil. Never, actually.
You try to deal with robust department workers by stealing their shit, banged by literally everyone after being fun of.
Or they are all validly grieffed away from bagil over this stuff and inhabit other servers now?
I see that as escalation working, since doing dumb shit on robust server gets you shat on pretty goddamn fast, first by chemists, then assistant shoving and then sec guy harmbatoning bad away if you go after chem machines like that.
Tablespamming an engineer to get insulos as nontag? Holy fuck I can't imagine the wringer that assistant would be put thru, literally made a non-person by the server.
Entire server would just agree "valid" and watch sadistic CMO nugget him.
These i see as prime examples of escalation working in conjunction with robust, well versed crew.

Or he's valid and murders him for em and access, but that's fair job that.

That's just examples of players being dicks and repeated similar behavior boots em anyway on rule 0, yes?
"being dick to everyone" is a valid reason to ban people, admins just use fancier words for that I think.

For what it's worth, somehow bagil has become very polite of late since it IS a robust server. Stealing chem machine is fukken dumb anyway, tech storage has a spare.

Ban em, ban em all if you feel like it.
Fucking perma people who do this shit repeatedly from your server and direct to bagil, we'll teach that fuck to act like shit towards crew.
Well, don't actually do that, but you know.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 am #511250

That's fair and very true

But oh boy when a robust player decides to start shit IE this?

It blows up into a whole antag-lite situation most definitively. Where he'll be critting the CMO, Sec and anyone trying to hunt him.

It just adds a whole lot of bullshit that people shouldn't be dealing with since 1. they're not antags. 2. It's giving shitters an easy road to grief-town.

Basically, it can be summed up like "Toolbox a man to death and welcome to ban town. Push a man and have him throw the first punch? Now you toolbox them."

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:09 am #511255

Shadowflame909 wrote:Basically, it can be summed up like "Toolbox a man to death and welcome to ban town. Push a man and have him throw the first punch? Now you toolbox them."

You do know that repeatedly abusing said rule IS a ban already, right?
It's not a permit to grief and denied appeals are full of people who acted like this.

And robust players know better than to abuse escalation since they are old foos, watch IMSZX play, probably one of the if not the most robust player in existence, admined twice and gets nothing but positives as review.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 am #511263

It still happens a whole lot. May not even be abused but if a oldbie is dealing with the consequences of escalation. That's another round where non-antags are taking out a whole lot of non-antags.

Sucks now. It's gonna be worse.

I can't guarantee it'll be the perfect solution. But I think its the best one that's been offered. Outside of a buttload of nothing and whatever hulkamania said that wasn't written down.

I'm willing to try it, it'd help the players. The code-base and the admin-team. For what it's worth the player-base not killing each other over petty disputes every single round most definitively outways the downsides of a player getting rule 1'd because they got warned again and again about playing like a total antag trying to get a reaction out of people.

You can call it an expanded version of an already existing rule. You're doing something that will give you no gain outside of annoying and pissing off everyone else. Killing Ian, destroying the Christmas tree. Stealing the means of production and spreading it to the general populous. Don't be mad when you get rule 1'd and told to take a break.

I've also heard some people say "but shadow these guys won't even change after taking a break." Well, then why were we humoring them when they decided to constantly steal and incentivize players to start murderboning?!?!?

I think it can only go up from this.

Spoiler:

Plapatin
In-Game Game Master

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Postby Plapatin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:51 am #511271

what happens if you get elected and actually remove escalation? will you just maintain status quo until your 6 months are over?
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:01 am #511275

Shadowflame909 wrote:I can't guarantee it'll be the perfect solution. But I think its the best one that's been offered. Outside of a buttload of nothing and whatever hulkamania said that wasn't written down.

Morto promised to test Hulk rules for a time(whatever those are) for input, that's the best option I see instead of what personally feels bit like kneejerk reaction and "remov, no improv" at it's worst.

I don't know man, I feel like i saw this happen a year ago but not anymore since admins banned all the shitlers and crew dealt with rest of the them.
I only play bagil so, maybe that's me being too tunnel visioned but it FEELS like you are year, year and a half behind me on this whole issue with your current surrounding playerbase.
Are servers really this different?
I recognize all of these events you quote as having happened but I can't recall a single outrageous instance in recent months.
Try bagil for a time?
Escalation seems to work there at least.

Occasionally someone does this, yes, (and get killed for it) and some players openly admit they are playing the rule to the maximum but i don't see it as anything that will continue to happen but in small quantities and worst offenders who intentionally break it being removed so fast I have no recollection of who they were in the first place.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 am #511294

Plapatin wrote:what happens if you get elected and actually remove escalation? will you just maintain status quo until your 6 months are over?

Short answer. Yes like basically every other headmin

Long answer. Outside of answer policy questions, handling admin complaints, restarted the bugged server. Yes pretty much. Tis' my running policy. Deeper then that though? Synchronization with the codebase is what I'm hoping for.
Reeeee wrote:
Occasionally someone does this, yes, (and get killed for it) and some players openly admit they are playing the rule to the maximum but i don't see it as anything that will continue to happen but in small quantities and worst offenders who intentionally break it being removed so fast I have no recollection of who they were in the first place.

What more can I say then the current state of escalation will no longer be viable in the short future. So it's a necessary removal.

It's always been more then just "minor griefers start shit get killed" and it will definitively be more than that in the future.

People get annoyed. People have fun by "minor-griefing."

The clown sprays lube. Janitor decides to clean with water. Hulk decides to start bashing walls. Mime starts invisible walling people as a gimmick.

People get annoyed and people start fights. These fights escalate and someone dies.

The worst offenders are doing it for kicks.

The normal offenders are pissed off people who go towards round removal.

In essence, this is helping nobody and in a couple of months or so, the "make active efforts to revive someone" portion of escalation is going to be moot and null. Turning escalation into nothing more than the free murdering rule.

So as a Tldr, reeeee.

1. Synchronization with the code-base to prevent the further breakdown of the rules is the main goal with my policy. Not because I hate the concept of people being able to go vigilante on their griefers.

2. We have many many many many mechanics to deal with this without requiring what should be normal crew-members to constantly end up in fights to the death.

3. The only use for escalation is to air your grievances by going full-on antag-lite and killing people.

Crewmember griefs you. You attack them, security comes in and breaks it up by arresting you because they saw you whopping on them. You get out of sec, even angrier and feeling like you want to escalate even further. You pull out a much more illegal weapon like a hand-made shotgun or a spear and go to town. If sec catches this, you get gulagged or executed on-site and what could have been a fun and productive round was ultimately wasted because of some petty grief that could have been dealt with IC.

Is this not the common ending? "Fuck Shit-sec I can't believe they let that asshole who started it get away with it." Well, that's just one of the many situations I've dealt with the rule.

It's a toxic cycle. This simple rule change can break it. Promote better mechanics that are already in place, and prevent the future implosion of this rule that is already impending.

But you can call this candidacy what it is.

A passion for seeing all of these "I will fix escalation" promises to finally go away. A desire to not see any further disruption of the rules because they're shifting further away from what the game is.

I've got a two-step plan. One that wouldn't be very difficult to implement. I think it'd require some admin notices when people log in so they don't forget about the change. But ultimately comparing the downsides and upsides. I think it's very worth it.

So if you're more then just fine with it and you dig it. Then feel free to vote for me.

Because it's my standing ideal. Why else would I be running?

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:58 am #511310

I see escalation warding off shitters, you see it as root cause of them.

No change you do is going to prevent the fact that SS13 gathers shitters who just join in to grief and that's facts.
No matter the best intentions at play, everything is going to get abused, Escalation gives players the last line of defense if shit gets out of hand and no admin is online to prevent round ending for them for no raisins. Not everything can be moderated in matter of seconds with perfect clarity.

Remove escalation limits and then what? People are still going to grief but now players have to sit idle and not disposal the guy when someone willingly breaks every rule on server anyway? Break IC/OOC to bitch about it and appear hugboxy as fug and gather more shitlers since we are easy target so we need more admins to moderate who don't have Escalation Rules to fall on to blanket ban suspected "literally only here to grief" players?
It's player protection, not grief license.

And I feel we passed this discussion and issue as bagil players and arrived at happy medium;
"Be polite, logical and non-threatening when you want something from others or you will get critted for it since you are now free valids to everyone."

Not that I understand where this "escalation is bad" comes from, not from players I know. Sure, people get angery at times but that's the game and nobody takes it to the next round with them.

We have to agree to disagree I guess.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:07 am #511311

Just two different viewpoints on it.

Escalation was never a "last line of defense" for me. It was the start of a bloody conflict.

If someone is breaking every rule on the server you ahelp, @supportmin or dunk on them. Escalation existing or not would have no heed on trying to get griefers dealt with.

Minor-Grief is just a very weird line toeing situation where any-time a player feels wronged. Suddenly it's massacre 101

It's a rules problem and a code problem.

Honestly would be best to wait for another half-decade for a whole new gameplay direction. Because this escalation rule has no stability at all.

My Super TLDR for anyone who doesn't feel like reading any of this and going "what the hell is this thread"

1. The escalation ruling is getting rooted out code-wise partially like silicon policy. Add this to the constant candidate elect desire to change it. It's best to just remove it in my opinion, since we've already wasted half of a decade on it.

2. Removing this doesn't have any glaring issues at all. Security can handle some major disputes like the mall-cops they always are. Lawyers are supposed to handle legal and civil disputes. We have a holodeck, a Demotions department( HoP) A captain, and an HoS to turn towards. Also, other head of staff members if they're from their department. Whilst there's also rule 1 to be enforced for anyone who decides to take the annoying behavior further then IC means can handle.

Turning petty disputes IE clown lubed me so he must die. Or janitor keeps cleaning with water so I'm gonna space all of his gear into a fight to the death is very wonky and shit-tier behavior. This can easily be changed with a simple removal and would massively improve many aspects of this game. Synchronize more with the code-bases direction, would prevent the alienation and agonizing future of trying to deal with escalation in a /tg/ game without cloning and a harsher medbay. It would also lower ahelps because fewer players have decided to turn a small issue into a full-blown antag-lite war by escalating with each other all around.

If you like any of that. Or want some pre-maintenance on the very soon inevitable. I'm the guy to do it.

Make the switch and don't end up dead in a maintenance shaft thanks to a broken ruling turning escalation into grieftown.

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:45 am #511522

Shadowflame909 wrote:Make the switch and don't end up dead in a maintenance shaft thanks to a broken ruling turning escalation into grieftown.

At the risk of turning this in to a policy thread about escalation, even though i suppose it's supposed to be about lack of it anyway, since said platform, so more talk makes your stance more refined?

It's part of SS13, no?
That janitor man might turn out to be the traitor adds to the paranoia nicely that people end up dead even though there was no real valid "round antag did this" reason for it besides that paranoia blooming to full on antagonism since janiman was scared he actually being shoved by traitor ICly.

It's personal choice to get valided over escalation, not "rules are bad" thing anyway. Play pacifist and you still end up dead in maint since every round has murderers running about.

It's perfectly acceptable to not engage in escalation rules, just forget about it and move on.
Nobody mandates you engage, nobody forces you to use them.
And when you do engage, we have rules for it in escalation to prevent grieftown.
Without that, I feel shitlery will escalate since you cannot remove a threat with appropriate response but just have to suffer thru it and ahelp more, making game less about IC more about whining to OOC game is not being played right.

It's about grey area for paranoia to exists in for IC purposes, not about people misusing it for OOC reasons I feel.
I am a pacifist player so that's how I feel this issue affecting me.

(I wish Anne would post, she makes me feel dumb and having learned something every time she does touch an issue.)
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:20 am #511529

Well, that statement specifically is talking about how the escalation rules have one saving grace.

It's that "If you start a conflict. You must make amends to try and keep your target from dying."

Without a cloner. You're gonna beat up someone till their undefibable. And then that's GG as you toss their body in medbay, upon which a doctor will morgue it.

At the very best in this situation. You'll be borged/pod-person'd because the end-game of removing cloning is having some sort of cost to coming back to life.

Another one of these costs would be just spawning in as a lavaland-hermit ghost role or something and try to get back to the station that way. As you'd lose all IC info.

So it'd no longer be a direct response to shittery anymore. The guy who started the killing will no longer have any real way to do the "make amends" portion of it. So they can drop it off and escalation devolves into free-murder.

Not cool. Not Fun. At that point, it'd be better to just leave the murder to the antags. And maybe just break someone's shins instead in the rage-cage.

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:30 am #511562

Well, as you said, you are the alarmist.
Those changes are not in yet nor playtested so it's kinda skyline painting for me and ASSUMING things will be like that.

I'd rather assume people will change if required and not kneejerk to being shitlers for no raisins and those that do are banned rightfully.
People enjoy the game and those that wanna stay, learn to adapt, those that don't want to get their ban appeal threads archived.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:20 pm #511620

Reeeee wrote:Well, as you said, you are the alarmist.
Those changes are not in yet nor playtested so it's kinda skyline painting for me and ASSUMING things will be like that.

I'd rather assume people will change if required and not kneejerk to being shitlers for no raisins and those that do are banned rightfully.
People enjoy the game and those that wanna stay, learn to adapt, those that don't want to get their ban appeal threads archived.

Players can want to change and adapt all they want. But I don't think that having the rules tell you one thing whilst the code is different because the rules haven't been updated in four years is okay.

Because the only adaption would be being literally snuck up on and instantly killed by some guy tired of you. With no chance at revival because the rules and the code aren't fitting like a puzzle anymore.

Pre-Maintenance > over changing it when everything starts to fall apart.

There is faith that this will succeed. Looking at the opinions of other headmins, admins, and coders. Still working on the SSethtiders to understand what I'm talking about.

Thank you for all these questions. If you have any more I will continue to do my best to answer them.

Spoiler:

Farquaar

Byond Username: Farquaar

Postby Farquaar » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 pm #511647

You often claim that grief/greytiding is a result of players being burnt out, and that the codebase is obligated to release new content such that this doesn’t happen. But isn’t it the responsibility of the player to take a break when they get bored, rather than being a petulant child in-game?

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:44 pm #511651

Farquaar wrote:You often claim that grief/greytiding is a result of players being burnt out, and that the codebase is obligated to release new content such that this doesn’t happen. But isn’t it the responsibility of the player to take a break when they get bored, rather than being a petulant child in-game?

My stance on this is that playing while burnt-out is an addicted person trying to squeeze out the last bits of the addiction they can.

IE: Get some more of that dopamine son.

Let us take a very realistic example of the classic burnt-out player.

"Welp. I've played chemist all day stocking up medicine like I'm supposed to. I'm uber bored of that now. Xenobio, Mining, and Cook. the only jobs that I can get constant RNG enjoyment out of are full. I wonder what I could do to keep having my fun."

This is when minor-grief starts to kick in.

Said burnt-out player stumbles into the arrivals tool-storage and sees a botanist buying some insuls to hack their vending machine.
"Having those gloves would be fun." They think, as they bolt on over and wait for the botanist to dispense some insulated gloves.

When that happens, they wall-stun the botanist, grab the gloves and run away.

Now escalation has started because the botanist got unenthusiastically robbed and now they want vengeance and their gloves back.

They start punching the loose tider, getting a dopamine rush and "fun" from this scenario that they can no longer get out of job content.

This whole situation expands and turns into the terror antags should be causing. As security now intervenes and tries to stop this fight to the death.

Both crew-members are in jail. The botanist pissed off at "shit-sec" because all round they've been constantly escalated and punished for a situation they didn't even want to get in.

The assistant is getting kicks out of it and thinks "The botanist shouldn't have punched me. What a dummy."

They're getting minor amusement out of this. Security has to waste time dealing with that instead of dealing with the antags.

Expand to more than one instance of this happening per round. The tired security players from being called shitsec by every escalating burnt-out greytider.

So Burn-Out doesn't actually get noticed by the majority of our playerbase.

Burn Out is a playing doing whatever they can to suck up the little enjoyment they can out of this game. It makes the admins busier. It makes security more busy, and it makes the players who deal with these burnt-out players angrier.

It's pretty toxic. Have a player generally burnt-out long enough without actually dealing with it. They'll be banned and out of here for being a "shitter" who isn't willing to play the game right.

We've got a few good jobs that players never seem to burn out on. Like xenobiology with it's an assortment of content and mining. Since you can take out your boredom on adrenaline rushing mob fights where one misstep leads to the end of your round.

It's why I tend to advocate for the gateway staying on. Because it's good to get these players dealing with something else that doesn't make our overall game worse.

So TLDR:

A burnt-out person tends to not know they're burnt-out as they're more focused on getting their "fix" of what gave them such a dopamine rush in the first place.

To bring it back to escalation. If these burnt-out players had one less avenue of removing people from the content they enjoy through such shitty behavior and making the round worse for literally every type of player. Fun and people not considering /tg/ the lowest of the low when it comes to RP would definitively improve.

I think by literally preventing burntout-tide. Everything people used to think about /tg/ would come back like that. "A low-med RP game where people are generally chill and memey, without people acting like antags as non-antags."

Thank you for the question, Farquaar. I was glad to answer it.

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pm #511819

That's fair and reasonable standpoint to assume.

But let's take me as an example; I swapped from sybil shitlery to bagil shitlery since sybil was getting too tight on rules paranoia being played after taking a break from it all.
That was my first burnout, second burnout was just me not finding anything but murder to engage me so i willingly took a break from it all. I got FPS games for killfeed glorification.
Now, ever since Quirks got added I have been enjoying myself on my last burnoutless tirade of catgirling that somehow made me get LESS notes from admins.
My latest passion is lizardman doing lizard stuff.
(never mind the fact that my two catgirl slots are literally the same catperson ICly who NT hired twice due to split personality being so deeply ingrained that they didn't notice it upon hiring who hate each other, how that for RP?)
If you really play this game, you WILL adapt to the rules and learn to not break them if you honestly care about playing on TG, escalation included.

I am a fucking cunt and I salt OOC endlessly but my rules behavior and ability to not escalate has improved since I understood what was going on with this. Do we even need people to keep playing who are not self conscious enough to understand they are burned out and acting shitlery because of it?
That's also what i feel escalation helps with, to get people hit that cap of "take a break", if not voluntarily, then by escalation bans.

And you arguing RP is dead, yeah, right. You just have to jump on it and it cannot be taught to unwilling nor uninterested.
And that's perfectly fine but at some point of your spacememes, you will learn to RP even on accident.

Hell;
Just yesterday a borg did "i will now arrivals murder you; 180 and stop when you stop" moves on me I recognize from past happenings. Instead of ahelping it and/or validing the borg i did the following;
I talked to the borg how it was sus as fuck to me as a lizard for having asimov at lenght (under the fire shutters to see if it was, it was not) and then took of my suit sensors after seeing it the second time while reporting it to completely new sec guy with baton out to escalate overall paranoia and hid in maint for fear of "rogue borgs" while hunting mice to eat since "deviant tastes" quirk while radioing "day X of hiding in maint to stay safe" updates. Borg kept running into me and I kept playing my fake paranoia out on coms and to the borgs who were dispensing healing lollies I faked to be "poison" since i was at perfect health, finally ending with HoP arresting me in kitchen while i was frying my mice for having "too many mice" (there was more than 20 of them after all). Nobody was harmed, borgs got to giggle at paranoid lizard and hop got his free valids on non-harmfully.
I assumed a few people rolled their eyes at me doing that.
I had fun.

Now, notice how many advanced game concepts I used in that example, impossible for new or newish player to do in SS13.
It's one might say even impossible to without reaching some kind of burnout.
Validhunt-Burnout is a choice, not an mandatory and required escalation of playing too long. I feel as "oldish active player" that it is required to be good and invested and knowledgeable to roleplay it in bagil or any server for that matter. Becoming older and more knowledgeable adds to the possibility of roleplay, not to escalation breaking out of boredom unless that player is really unsuited to be part of any community in the first place I feel.

Escalation is a required tool for TG to exist IMHO, it allows you to RP as much as it protects you provided you use it for your benefit and not to use as tool to skirt rules and valid people.
Other servers have other approaches, this i feel comes closest to the ideal SS13 experience of paranoia where anything can happen.
As wierd as it seems, i think even complete rule breaking shitler improve my experience in this game, ICly.
I'll still be salty as shi t in OOC later but they made my experience that much more unpredictable.
And that's what's important, people using rules for benefit, not as tool to avoid being banned.
And if they do that, it's supposed to be moderation who steps in, with rulebook in hand, not "rule 1 banned for being jackass" approach.

Soz if it got a little ranty but you do that too, honk.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:19 pm #511850

It's been a long ways away since that was true about the rules being used as a benefit to the players, LibbySnow.

StickyMayhem would know. He was the one who added the "Rules of Mayhem" that are scoffed at and will get you banned for trying at all to bring it up.

Now I'm pretty much in some sort of Groundhogs day loop about your feelings that "Escalation increases the fun. Is necessary, and makes /TG/ what it is. While I'm of the opinion that it:

1. Gets easily abused by griefers and burnt out players.

2. With the incoming Cloning removal change, it'll amplify this by 100x since players will lose their only protection against being murdered by it.

3. Will be made SIGNIFICANTLY less fun to deal with as people have to deal with organ damage. Constant and extensive runs to medbay as doctors have to balance out which dosage of a medical poison will have the least chance of killing you.

4. The benefits of removing this would be astronomical. As the Lawyer would get some use. Instead of HoP always raiding the armory because being a boring paperwork pushing doorknob is boring. Disputes and general shittery would promote him into action to demote people. Security can always be assured that when breaking up combat. If they're seeing some blood, not in the rage-cage. It's something gone very wrong. (IE an antagonist.)

5. Lastly, it wouldn't be the end of the world. With so many IC ways of dealing with grievances. What's so negative about instead of being able to constantly remove other players from the rounds. You'd have to get them demoted, arrested, fight them in the rarely made rage-cage, or use the more common and non-lethal holodeck/boxing ring.

That's chill. Everyone murdering each other won't be viable in the near future and I'm just the guy to try to make /tg/ still functional in the near future.

So I guess I would be the alarmist. Someones gotta wake us up. Because i'm sure as hell you don't want to be late.

Spoiler:

Reeeee

Postby Reeeee » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:56 am #512158

1. Gets easily abused by griefers and burnt out players.

This is why admins and ahelp exists. I don't see it as valid point as long as those and rule 0 exists.
4. Security can always be assured that when breaking up combat. If they're seeing some blood, not in the rage-cage. It's something gone very wrong. (IE an antagonist.)

But my paranoia simulator. It's not a hugbox and should not aim to be one, there HAS TO exist a grey area otherwise all RP drops dead on it's tracks about validity of someone's death and it becomes even more of validhunt fest than it is.
Why need lawyers and detective then if issue becomes absolutely clear cut and more of a OOC reason to "cremate the dude lol" than IC investigation of "did he actually do it"?

Beyond that, sure, I'll admit to you having validity in your opinions.
Issues we discuss are just too core at the matter for me to vote for you at this time to want these changes, for what I feel is towards worse experience, but at least I got to see other side of the issue and can see it has validity.
Thank you for that.
signnatrire

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:00 pm #512204

Libbysnow. I want you to observe and see how much content the lawyer gets currently during escalation, and if players murdering each other are actively contributing towards any "paranoia" factor to making this game more interesting.

Please. I promise that you're not going to get the "bright-side" of escalation that you're looking for.

Paranoia factor comes from antags doing their jobs and then all of a sudden a department explodes because no one was watching it. IE Botany with Kudzu. Virology with the plague. Chemistry being chemistry. Genetics with some death syringes. Engineering by delaminating, Atmos with a plasma-flood. Science with Xenobio. Etc Etc.

Every department has a ticking time-bomb, and that's what makes ss13 fun. A player shoving and stealing from you, causing you two to get into a fight to the death. Does not increase anything and detrimentally just makes a player feel like shit.

Even if it's not what you're looking for. The game already has the tools to function without any sort of policy that allows two Nanotransen employees to completely murder each other and go to such huge lengths that security gets their round ruined and admins have 4 ahelps all on one guy. Not fun.

If ahelps should resolve this when things go to shit. Then why not have them resolve it before everyone gets their round ruined thanks to one burnt out player.

Escalation is a tool used by the griefers to kill-bait the griefed. Escalation is a tool upon which dying incentives more death.

Non-Antagonists should not be killing non-antagonists. That's dumb and NO benefits are gained from this.

But there is everything to gain from removing this botched rule.

Once more. This ruling being removed will save us time and effort. Of removing it when the codebase has further continued their goals of shifting the game into another direction. Whether the rules change or not.

I'm just trying to keep the rules functional as my first goal for this.

I'm also trying to make good on every headmin campaign promise ever since escalation came into existence.

You can surely expect this since I'm running on a one platform policy.

These benefits are just an added resolution upon which the game will be better.

I am the Alarmist. A vote for me is a functional game where you don't get assassinated by a non-antag for some petty reason and never revived again.

A vote for me is a game where after brawling thanks to some shitty escalation. You are not perma-crippled from blindness and a dead liver.

Death will be harsher on /tg/ and that is inevitable.

What is stoppable, is not seeing any rule changes to accommodate these changes.

Try it. I would say that with two other candidates and a truckload of game-masters. This system should be flowing as smooth as syrup.

Any more Questions and Concerns. I will be available to answer them in a passionate rant-like post. As that's what I do.

- Shadowflame909

Spoiler:

Plapatin
In-Game Game Master

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Postby Plapatin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:43 pm #512214

escalation is shit
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:34 pm #512228

I agree random admin who was not told to do this

#shadowflame909forheadmin

Spoiler:

Return to Archived/Deleted