Fatal - Something catchy here

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
Fatal
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: FatalX1

Fatal - Something catchy here

Postby Fatal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:30 am #573222

Alright, after over 18 months as an admin now, it's time to put myself forward for this crazy job we call being a Headadmin

But who is this guy, I hear you ask, if you haven't played on event hall or terry, you probably haven't seen me much, the main reason for that is I became a trial admin right around the time of the sethtide, and given that event hall in those early dark days was a chaotic lawless place, so I spent the majority of my time on that server, until recently when the summer ball killed the population and everyone migrated, so now I mostly am on terry

As for previously, I have been a player on TG since 2012, which is a crazy long time, and I also have absolutely no negative notes or bans on my account

Alright, the substance, what do I want to do with this crazy job:

Firstly, I think some of the rules need cleaning up a little, depending how other admins feel about it, regarding escalation, escalation is a little different now because of the wounds system, but, these changes would go through admins and players before being done

Otherwise, since the summer ball killed the event hall pop, the event hall is generally deserted now save for a few players, I would like to switch event hall to permanent extended, to allow newer players to learn on it without the threat of being violently murdered or having a 30 minute shuttle call, and then actually use the event hall for events, smaller scale ones, handled by admins who want to or players running a scheduled event

Otherwise, I actually don't want to make a significant amount of changes, what we have works and it's an imperfect system, an imperfect engine, with imperfect players, however, I am active on the forums / discord daily and I would certainly try and get appeals / complaints handled rapidly as I know those taking a long time to resolve can feel frustrating for all involved

Oh yeah there was something about a dog, I don't care about the dog :honkman:

Blurbo

Byond Username: Blurbo

Re: Fatal - Something catchy here

Postby Blurbo » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:51 am #573242

inb4 no replies : (
blurbo,professional (more) retard

OH MY GOD ITS ALL CONNECTED, BLURBO IS USING BIP TO POST ORANGES PROPAGANDA AND TURN PEOPLE INTO STRIPESOCKS SO THEY CAN GET FREE CODE LABOR

YuiY1997

Byond Username: YuiY1997

Postby YuiY1997 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:22 am #573246

Ok but how robust are you? Can you beat the other candidates to death?

Timonk

Byond Username: Timonk

Postby Timonk » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:50 am #573249

fatal is not very robust
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel

Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.

Fatal
In-Game Admin

Postby Fatal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:35 am #573269

A prolonged period of being a ghost and not actually playing very much means I am not as robust as I once was (which was never amazing but fairly decent)

I'm better in the combat on TGMC honestly

PostThis post was deleted by Cobby on Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:20 pm.

ATHATH

Byond Username: ATHATH

Postby ATHATH » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:42 pm #573364

Firstly, I think some of the rules need cleaning up a little, depending how other admins feel about it, regarding escalation, escalation is a little different now because of the wounds system, but, these changes would go through admins and players before being done

Define "cleaning up a little". Do you have a rough outline for what you think that the escalation rules should be like?

Fatal
In-Game Admin

Postby Fatal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:48 pm #573380

I'll put a quick overview of what I mean, sure

Right now, this is escalation:

If a player wrongs you(theft, attacks, etc), you may retaliate. If you choose to retaliate with violence, you in turn have opened yourself up to violence. If you choose this route, do not expect admins to help you out if you die, even if you were not the original instigator. If you are concerned about being "kill baited" then consider calling security, using non lethal means to subdue your opponent, fleeing, or otherwise working things out (talking them down, getting your stolen items replaced, etc)

You may instigate conflict with another player within reason (you can't completely destroy their department, kill them unprovoked, or otherwise take them out of the round for long periods of time) but they are entitled to respond with violence. If you think it's unfair or excessive they killed you for taking their ID, consider not stealing next round.

If you are the instigator in a conflict and end up killing or severely impairing the round of the person you are fighting, you should make a reasonable effort to return them to life at least once or make amends, only seeking round removal if they continue to pursue you. This protection doesn't apply to an instigator being killed.

Exceptions: Security is expected not to retaliate with random abuse or violence unless the person in question is otherwise eligible for execution. You can't kill or maim security for trying to arrest you for legitimate reasons.

The main issue I have with escalation is it's completely black and white, you start something, you get no protection, you retaliate? You get no protection, which basically ends up with people escalating petty stuff to the point of round removing each other, I have seen this a few times when adminning

I did try (before I was an admin I think, it was a while ago for sure), to try and get escalation changed to get escalation to be more like you are allowed to use reasonable / similar force in return to someone doing something to you, but you can't just go from a single punch to knocking someone into crit, for example

This escalation policy also implies that stealing someone's ID makes you valid for murder, which honestly, is a pretty shitty way to deal with it, and I'd like to remove that part entirely that implies that

I'll see if I can find the policy thing I made ages ago

Fatal
In-Game Admin

Postby Fatal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:53 pm #573384

Okay found the policy thing, this is from before I was an admin and I think escalation at the time was pretty new

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17640

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NikNakflak

Postby NikNakFlak » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:50 pm #574185

At the top of my vote.

Besides being an adopted son of mine (one of the players I have pushed to become an admin), Fatal has been nothing short of outstanding in every aspect of adminning.
He's been around forever as a silent but amazing player. Thousands of rounds just playing the heck out of the game with no issues.
Adminned the heck out of the lawless new land filled with new players and did a great job. There weren't too many admins wanting to deal with the large amount of new players when sethtide happened.

He's just a great choice for headmin and isn't afraid of anything.
REDACTED
pm for deets

AtexHoffman
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: AtexHoffman69

Postby AtexHoffman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:48 am #574451

You were a formative role model for me in the trenches of the Event Hall during the early days of my adminship.
I think the 6th most Hardcore gamer in /tg/ would make a fine addition to the headministrative staff.

Return to Player's Headmin Election