RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Malkraz » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:59 am #593509

RaveRadbury wrote:As for your player-sided word filter, it would need to default to 'on' for everyone and incoming players, to be turned off at the user's discretion. This would require a wordlist, which I am not sure would be allowed. Additionally, this would not solve the issues of slurs on the forums or the discord.

I'm not sure how everyone is missing what I mean when I say "player-sided word filter", but what I mean is the player can put in a list of words (similar to the current highlight function) which will automatically filter those words out of their chat. If I put "Rock, Steel" in the filter, then when someone uses those words, my chat returns "**** ***** is a retard", effectively censoring my chosen words for me and me only. What are your thoughts on providing players with a tool to curate which words they would not like to see in their own chats, as a potential way to avoid having to outright stop other players from using those words? I feel this is a compromise that could satisfy both sides of this issue.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you



User avatar
XivilaiAnaxes
 
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:13 am
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:54 am #593512

Malkraz wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:As for your player-sided word filter, it would need to default to 'on' for everyone and incoming players, to be turned off at the user's discretion. This would require a wordlist, which I am not sure would be allowed. Additionally, this would not solve the issues of slurs on the forums or the discord.

I'm not sure how everyone is missing what I mean when I say "player-sided word filter", but what I mean is the player can put in a list of words (similar to the current highlight function) which will automatically filter those words out of their chat. If I put "Rock, Steel" in the filter, then when someone uses those words, my chat returns "**** ***** is a retard", effectively censoring my chosen words for me and me only. What are your thoughts on providing players with a tool to curate which words they would not like to see in their own chats, as a potential way to avoid having to outright stop other players from using those words? I feel this is a compromise that could satisfy both sides of this issue.

Ignoring that you're expecting that everyone is going to write the slur "correctly", I don't think those kind of people would be happy spending 10 minutes writing every slur they can think of into a list. Ignoring that, ****** isn't exactly a "huh I wonder what that is" in this scenario you've outlined.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.

User avatar
Timonk
 
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm
Location: ur mum
Byond Username: Timonk

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Timonk » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:22 am #593521

You could provide a standard list of filtered words, typed correctly and incorrectly.

Also if you're going to filter your world view you're going to to have to cope with a couple of stars. If you can't even do that little coping then you are really fragile and I don't think you would enjoy this game.
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel


Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.




The hut has perished at my hands.
Image



The pink arrow is always right.

User avatar
Timonk
 
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm
Location: ur mum
Byond Username: Timonk

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Timonk » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:27 am #593522

Also you're assuming blatant word filter evasion isn't ahelpable as herassment
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel


Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.




The hut has perished at my hands.
Image



The pink arrow is always right.

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby oranges » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 am #593524

You're getting far too deep into the specifics of a proposed policy that one person has put forward, I think arguing about concrete implementations is both nonsensical and straying into the area of discussing code changes, please reorient to a higher level, or refrain from adding further to this line of conversation.

User avatar
Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Space outside the Brig
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:59 pm #593588

I asked MrAlphonso in his thread about this then forgot to follow-up by asking you the inverse:


Do you believe MrAlphonso's policy which would effectively mean increasing the weight of notes as a contribution to future punishment is contradictory to your own stated goal?

Do you think that the key underlying belief (That admins arent paying ENOUGH attention to last-warning etc. notes) is wrong, given your belief that way too much emphasis is put on said notes?

If the answer to the above is yes, how will you come to an agreement with MrAlphonso if both of you win a head-admin seat and wish to implement potentially contradictory policy?
Image
Image

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:51 pm #593649

cacogen wrote:I know damn isn't a slur (I couldn't think of a slur that no longer holds the offense it once did, maybe idiot). But the principle that words lose their original offensiveness through use beside their original meaning is exemplified by words like damn.

You're right that there's never going to be a consensus between the people who a word affects on the cases where it's acceptable to use. So thinking about it in those terms won't amount to anything.

What are the appropriate circumstances you think a slur can be said under on /tg/station? Is it worth losing players and the backlash against the server from the wider SS13 playerbase to prevent people from saying slurs regardless of context or intent?

I don't want my post to get deleted by sharing my opinion but to clarify where I'm coming from I agree that people shouldn't have to deal with the type of abuse and mistreatment they experience in real life on the basis of identity here where it can be readily prevented.

Appropriate circumstance examples

Things like posting works made by artists who have cultural identity that allows them to engage such words in their work.

Posting something like this shouldn't be causing anyone any trouble, right?

Serious discussion of things that involve slur usage
Police chief, officer under fire after bodycam video surfaces with racial slurs, explicit language
Discussion of this article should be allowed with uncensored quotes (in good-faith) and community members not having to worry about how to censor themselves in the full discussion of it all. If someone were to comment "Wow, I can't believe that cops in Georgia are still calling African-Americans niggers" should that be an issue?

Or let's say that people are really getting into some highbrow talk about usage of slurs in popular culture
Contextual determinants on the meaning of the N word
Shouldn't people be able to talk about this? I think so.

I have yet to see anyone say that they would leave if they couldn't say slurs. I have seen community members question the value of anyone who would leave over the loss of slurs. If slurs are the thing that makes or breaks your participation in our community I hope you can re-evaluate that stance.

As for backlash from the greater playerbase... backlash from who? At this point Fulp and Bee have taken a stance on slurs, we're actually kind of behind the rest of the major servers at this point. Hippie's dead. That other station keeps to themselves. Even if there was some sort of coordinated bully, it's nothing we couldn't handle. We have plenty of ways to handle raids and grief. Why should we fear the greater community anyway if our community is in favor of it?

So yeah, it's worth it. Asked myself that question as a part of making it my platform.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
Timonk
 
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm
Location: ur mum
Byond Username: Timonk

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Timonk » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:06 pm #593659

RaveRadbury wrote:Things like posting works made by artists who have cultural identity that allows them to engage such words in their work.

spicy take!
can an albino african american say the soft n word?
can someone who identifies themselves as african american say the soft n word?
can retards say retard?
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel


Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.




The hut has perished at my hands.
Image



The pink arrow is always right.

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:10 pm #593661

Korusho wrote:How do you plan to encourage more interesting RP scenarios in Manuel, and to further encourage RP in general among players that frequent the server, if at all? Do you believe that Manuel is in a good state of play currently, considering how most rounds turn out at times?

Most of my thoughts on improving RP have to do with code additions that incentivize RP through mechanics and possibly wiki guides. I'm reluctant to make any sort of prescriptive style guide to RP, yet at the same time offering no assistance seems bad. I might try and write some stuff up within the year, regardless of if I make headmin.

As for the state of Manuel, I've discussed frequently about how RP collapses in the face of the prisoner's dilemma. I think that from an administration viewpoint that MRP is fine, if anything is going to improve it's going to be the community moving forward together.

Korusho wrote:Are you in favor of GM/Admin round intervention when rounds grow too stale, or do you prefer players to drive round content? How do you feel about players bending the rules to drive rounds when they lack antag roles?

There's a nice middle ground where round intervention is created through items or opportunities. Players can drive round content while being tossed new things by the event runner. It becomes problematic when the event is a power fantasy of the runner, or they are eclipsing the antag rounds of players. Events should freshen things up with new possibilities, not steamroll antags. If an event runner wants a grandiose event they should run a greenshift and also prepare for the event to fail.

I think that with Dynamic 2021 there is less of a need for players to bait sec "to give them something to do". However we do have escalation rules and I support the idea of interpersonal conflict that isn't rooted in antag status; however I think that interpersonal conflict is frequently too heavy-handed. Hulkamania has a re-write of escalation policy that looked pretty good.

Korusho wrote:In the same vein, do you personally prefer to see well thought out events, or ad-hoc scenarios? Do you want to foster a more thought driven environment, or a reactionary ad-lib one?

The former has a tendency to be seen as railroading. Event runners looking to do that need to have contingency plans ready. Personally, I am not that kind of ideas person I belong in the latter category. My ideas tend to be smaller and ornamental to the round rather than something that defines it. I would prefer not to stifle either kind of imagination style.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
 
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 pm
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Super Aggro Crag » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:11 pm #593662

im gonna vote for him
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

cacogen
 
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:27 am
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby cacogen » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:20 pm #593665

Contextual determinants on the meaning of the N word by Nick Mullen wrote:In this paper I discuss several occurrences of the N word in Quentin Tarantino’s film ‘Pulp Fiction’.

This seems unscientific to me. I've been made aware though that I haven't been capitalising the N in N word when I've referred to it here and so I'll correct that.

RaveRadbury wrote:If slurs are the thing that makes or breaks your participation in our community I hope you can re-evaluate that stance.

Well, it's obviously not. Not that I indulge in the N word often, but I've already stopped saying it here because I could see it was going that way and knew how it'd look in hindsight if someone could just search my posts and point out my GLARING RACISM in the context of whatever internet fight. But you know I'm not here to say the N word. I just don't want to see the server ban slurs. If I can't describe the right-wing as being retards or things that are cringe as being very gay then what sort of forceful, moving language am I left with to describe these things?

This is not even a strawman of the post you're responding to though because it doesn't even try to represent whatever I said my initial post to explain why I don't want slurs banned.

RaveRadbury wrote:I have yet to see anyone say that they would leave if they couldn't say slurs.

People will be banned for saying nigger in a vacuum. I would be banned for this post.

RaveRadbury wrote:Things like posting works made by artists who have cultural identity that allows them to engage such words in their work.

Posting something like this shouldn't be causing anyone any trouble, right?

I bet you are one of those people who think white people shouldn't even be allowed to say nigga in the context of a singing along to a song.

RaveRadbury wrote:As for backlash from the greater playerbase... backlash from who?

Don't know, but we are going to lose that respectable edge we have as a result of the 4chan naming scheme and the culture from developing out of it. We are going to become very lame, precious and overbearing in people's minds (like GoonStation having word filters that alert admins if you say a no-no word) and an undesirable place to play as a result. I know you actively don't give a shit about looking like that but I do. Other people do too.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 pm #593668

Rohen_Tahir wrote:In what ways, if any, will the "comfortable and safe enviroment" thing affect library books?

Great question!

At no point in my campaign platform do I use the word "safe". SS13 is a game filled with murder and danger.

As for how they affect library books, admins are already allowed to delete library books at their discretion. If someone's making some really racist library books those will be dealt with, and someone might end up talking to them about it. (Yes ckey info is tied to library books)
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:37 pm #593670

Timonk wrote:How do you plan on "purging the toxicity" apart from banning slurs period

Hi again timonk!

Nowhere in my platform do I use the word "purge". Everything else in my platform is about talking to people rather than noting/banning, and also limiting the use of "ban x if they do it again". I think that having more talks with players in ahelps would improve the community. Current headmin Domitius has agreed with this, and the original idea was given by current headmin Coconutwarrior.

I think that any sort of "purge" would be terrible as that implies that we would be removing people from the community, which I do not want.

Thanks for the question!
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:45 am #593737

Horza wrote:If your aim is really to make /tg/station a place you can tell your friends about, what will you do about hardcoded things that can potentially be offensive in the codebase? Headmins have no influence on the codebase, as we've been so oft told, yes? Then how can you modify such offensive things as the emagged Beepsky messages, amongst other such offensive language? If someone takes offense to such messages, how will you handle these incidents if you have no power over the codebase other than a response of "it'll be changed when you code it" as is the standard response?

Hi Horza,

Recently github abruptly banned the codebase, this was due to usage of slurs that were against the ToS. The codebase is now github ToS compliant. As has been discussed earlier, the usages of cunt within the tgstation codebase are not used to target and demean women.

As for the other content, such as use of foul language, I feel that our 18+ players can handle that and likely won't be scared off by it. The example that you have chosen is used for emagged beepsky as well as emagged sechailers. This is done for humorous effect, as making malfunctioning electronics swear is pretty funny.

Regarding no direct power over the codebase, this is fine, we already handle stuff like this. There's a brain trauma that filters your words into chatspeak. Normally using chatspeak is something we bwoink for, but in cases where that brain trauma is involved we don't.

The codebase is subject to the github ToS and the opinions of the maintainers. I have seen great care exercised by the maintainers to see to it that new contributions don't fall into the realm of bad taste. Between github's rules and the code team's moderation in both discussion and approved content, I think that our github community is actually pretty alright these days for the most part.

Thank you for your question.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
Agux909
 
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:26 pm
Byond Username: Agux909

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Agux909 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:03 pm #593852

Hi Rave. First of all, I am interested on seeing the points raised in this post answered, before it gets buried even further:

MrAlphonzo wrote:If notes are a punishment (they aren't, but let's pretend they are), wouldn't your reworking of how our records system works just make them even more of a punishment?

Removal of ban warnings just means that players will have no idea they're inching closer towards a ban, and will keep them out of the loop while the only people who know someone is inching towards a ban are talking about it in their secret INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS tower. This just seems like some misguided attempt to go easier on the players, but all it does is do the exact opposite.

If you plan on solving this by keeping ban warnings inside of admin-PMs, then that places an insanely unreasonable expectation on an administrator's ability to memorize individual interactions with countless other players, and also prevent other administrators from properly gauging how they should go about reprimanding somebody as they will not be fully informed on a players interactions with staff.
In addition to that, this worsens our problem on a total lack of punishment escalation that is phenomenally affecting our ability to administrate.

I honestly can't see how this is a good idea. It makes the lives of players and admins alike more difficult and accomplishes nothing.


Secondly, I'd like to know what's your stance/opinion on the matter of public bans/tickets.
I haven't seen you comment on it nor anyone ask about it.

Do you plan on implementing it? And if so, how?
Did it not ever cross your mind? And if so, why?
Do you think it would benefit or hurt your platform? Especially given your approach to notes.

Finally, what do you think about the current admin training process? Do you think it needs some improvement or is it alright as it is?

That's all, have a good day.
oranges wrote:I'm glad you had the intelligence to review your position and understand how stupid it was, most don't

Kryson
 
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Byond Username: Kryson

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Kryson » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 pm #593857

RaveRadbury wrote:Things like posting works made by artists who have cultural identity that allows them to engage such words in their work.


Is a white person who is immersed in black culture(also called a wigger) allowed to say the n-word?

Or is there a racial component to this as well?

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 pm #593915

Stickymayhem wrote:I don't know if you play much Terry, but frankly there's a proud culture of toxicity there, embedded in how a significant proportion of the community play the game there. I'm talking extremely toxic IC behaviour and conduct which isn't against the rules but makes the server unappealling to normies.

Do you have any intention of solving this as part of your attempt at making the place acceptable to the mainstream? Can you?

Also just for me can you answer this question in the non political speak it gives me the heebie jeebies i get it and it doesn't make you bad it just spooks me thank you Rave.

I spoke to the admins that work on Terry and they said that this isn't an issue. The game is hard, murderbone is allowed, if you're calling this toxicity idk what to tell you. LRP is about peak mechanical gameplay.

If normies don't want to die they can try out Manuel and Campbell (coming soon, Summer 2021(?))

If you'd like to provide some concrete examples of what you consider to be toxic behavior on Terry we can talk about it more.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:53 pm #594083

MrAlphonzo wrote:If notes are a punishment (they aren't, but let's pretend they are), wouldn't your reworking of how our records system works just make them even more of a punishment?

Removal of ban warnings just means that players will have no idea they're inching closer towards a ban, and will keep them out of the loop while the only people who know someone is inching towards a ban are talking about it in their secret INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS tower. This just seems like some misguided attempt to go easier on the players, but all it does is do the exact opposite.

If you plan on solving this by keeping ban warnings inside of admin-PMs, then that places an insanely unreasonable expectation on an administrator's ability to memorize individual interactions with countless other players, and also prevent other administrators from properly gauging how they should go about reprimanding somebody as they will not be fully informed on a players interactions with staff.
In addition to that, this worsens our problem on a total lack of punishment escalation that is phenomenally affecting our ability to administrate.

I honestly can't see how this is a good idea. It makes the lives of players and admins alike more difficult and accomplishes nothing.

There's a difference between warning a player in an ahelp and putting down "ban them if they do it again" and forcing the next admin to handle your ban (and possible appeal). If the next admin to handle it doesn't feel like a ban is appropriate, they won't ban them. If they do think its appropriate, they will. Either way they won't have the phantom of the previous admin affecting their decision.
Tell them in the ahelp that they are inching closer to a ban. With Ned's Banbus they can review tickets.

You're expecting admins to look at your previous tickets to see if you suggested that they should be banned. You're missing the point here. The admin should be able to make the decision based off of the factual information in the notes not on the opinions of the admin that chose not to ban/note them. Make an action or don't, kicking the can to the next admin down the line, expecting them to check ahelp history so they can know what YOUR opinion is, this is not okay. If your notes aren't providing a clear log of factual information that can assist an admin in making a decision, you're not doing it right. You can keep notes without forcing the hand of the next admin to handle an incident with that player.

Just because you think a player is inching closer to a ban does not mean that you are objectively correct, nor does it mean that other admins should act on your decision. You are not the supreme arbiter, admins should not hunt through tickets for your opinion. Make an administrative action or don't, base it on the factual information contained within tickets.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
MrAlphonzo
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:55 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby MrAlphonzo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:31 pm #594084

RaveRadbury wrote:
MrAlphonzo wrote:snip

There's a difference between warning a player in an ahelp and putting down "ban them if they do it again" and forcing the next admin to handle your ban (and possible appeal). If the next admin to handle it doesn't feel like a ban is appropriate, they won't ban them. If they do think its appropriate, they will. Either way they won't have the phantom of the previous admin affecting their decision.
Tell them in the ahelp that they are inching closer to a ban. With Ned's Banbus they can review tickets.

You're expecting admins to look at your previous tickets to see if you suggested that they should be banned. You're missing the point here. The admin should be able to make the decision based off of the factual information in the notes not on the opinions of the admin that chose not to ban/note them. Make an action or don't, kicking the can to the next admin down the line, expecting them to check ahelp history so they can know what YOUR opinion is, this is not okay. If your notes aren't providing a clear log of factual information that can assist an admin in making a decision, you're not doing it right. You can keep notes without forcing the hand of the next admin to handle an incident with that player.

Just because you think a player is inching closer to a ban does not mean that you are objectively correct, nor does it mean that other admins should act on your decision. You are not the supreme arbiter, admins should not hunt through tickets for your opinion. Make an administrative action or don't, base it on the factual information contained within tickets.


With you throwing out warnings in tickets, its reasonable to expect players to review tickets involving them but at the same time unreasonable to expect admins to check tickets involving the player? Is that not an enormous contradiction?

And if a staff member did issue a ban warning, either they have some ungodly, impossibly good memory and can keep track of who they've given ban warnings out of hundreds of players, or every single time they pull someone aside they have to dig through every ticket in banbus to double check whether they've given someone a ban warning or not?
Why are you placing such an enormous and unreasonable burden on staff? Do you honestly expect us to memorize who we've given ban warnings to when we have hundreds of players? That is just insane.

The admin should be able to make the decision based off of the factual information in the notes not on the opinions of the admin that chose not to ban/note them.

Why would you want to discourage administrators from considering the opinions of other staff members? How is that going to make us a more cohesive team? This is obscenely counter-productive.
If you want to take the opinion of other administrators out of the equation, with respect to records, all you're going to do is encourage admin shopping.
"Uh oh, I'm working up to a ban with this one admin, so I'm just going to play when this other admin is online who doesn't know me." Rinse and repeat.

Here's the big point I'm trying to make, about how pointless this entire thing is:

If notes are a punishment solely because of ban warnings (They aren't.), by that same logic, all you've accomplished is making tickets in of themselves a punishment.
Image
Image
Image
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:47 pm #594086

Breaking my queue just for you Alphonzo

MrAlphonzo wrote:If notes are a punishment solely because of ban warnings (They aren't.), by that same logic, all you've accomplished is making tickets in of themselves a punishment.

You're missing the whole point, which is, your opinion on whether or not they should be banned/noted does not matter unless you've chosen to take administrative action and follow through on it.

You're not meant to keep track of warnings, you're meant to review factual note information.

You're not meant to obsess over ticket logs, you're meant to make a judgement based on factual note information.

You seem to be stuck in a paradigm here where you think that just because you told someone that they are on their way to a ban that it should be meaningful and acted upon, that's not the case. That's just your opinion.
You don't get to just put someone on a path to banning because you think you're right, this is why players see notes as punishment in the first place.

Review the factual notes and take administrative action or don't. Do not prescribe administrative action to someone else.

I get that you're a pro-note, pro-ban candidate. I'm not. This is just a spaceman game. If a player gets away with something here or there it's not the end of the world. They will get notes if their behavior continues. The notes will build up. A ban will eventually be made if they don't stop. At least that ban will not have been done based on the opinion of anyone other than the admin who read the factual notes and made the call. If they need second opinions they can ping bus.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Space outside the Brig
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:55 am #594174

How in your opinion should "Last warnings" be handled, aka where someone should have been banned per the rules but the admin exercised their rule 0 prerogative to not take action even though they were in the wrong because they felt another chance was deserved?
Image
Image

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:05 pm #594263

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:How in your opinion should "Last warnings" be handled, aka where someone should have been banned per the rules but the admin exercised their rule 0 prerogative to not take action even though they were in the wrong because they felt another chance was deserved?

Jumping the queue again real quick.

This is fine, it's the admin's decision to note or ban

Some admins are proponents of a "final talk" wherein they have an extended conversation with the player and try to give them a chance to stop. Given the amount of care and effort involved with these I find them to be different from the more common and bog-standard "ban them if they do x again" kind of note content. This is different from the more basic (and less effort-intensive) "ban them if they do this again" "you are on your way to a perma" etc.

Are there exceptions to the rule? Yeah sure, instances of discussion and consideration, especially if they are trying to keep them from getting a perma, these are situations where something like this can be warranted.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:09 pm #594472

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I asked MrAlphonso in his thread about this then forgot to follow-up by asking you the inverse:


Do you believe MrAlphonso's policy which would effectively mean increasing the weight of notes as a contribution to future punishment is contradictory to your own stated goal?

Do you think that the key underlying belief (That admins arent paying ENOUGH attention to last-warning etc. notes) is wrong, given your belief that way too much emphasis is put on said notes?

If the answer to the above is yes, how will you come to an agreement with MrAlphonso if both of you win a head-admin seat and wish to implement potentially contradictory policy?

I actually agree with a lot of MrAlphonso's points, I think that he and I are generally focused on different sides of things. Alphonso's is focused on favoritism and players who have accrued high notes in the first place, my concern is in regards to average players.

If there are fewer notes to sift through (my platform) then the existing notes won't water down and lose sight of chronic behavior (Alphonso's platform). I agree with MrAlphonso that favoritism is an issue and that factual notes for chronic unchanging behavior are important.

I believe that I would be able to work with MrAlphonso to find a middle ground that we could both be satisfied with if we were to work together on the headmin team.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 pm #594521

cacogen wrote:
RaveRadbury wrote:I have yet to see anyone say that they would leave if they couldn't say slurs.

People will be banned for saying nigger in a vacuum. I would be banned for this post.

This isn't a vacuum. If you just posted the word with nothing else, that would be a vacuum.

You wouldn't be banned for that post, and even if you did post it in a vacuum, a ban wouldn't be warranted.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Malkraz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:31 am #594536

Malkraz wrote:What are your thoughts on providing players with a tool to curate which words they would not like to see in their own chats, as a potential way to avoid having to outright stop other players from using those words? I feel this is a compromise that could satisfy both sides of this issue.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you

User avatar
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:10 am
Location: Unamerican Scottish Fuck in Germany
Byond Username: EOBGames

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby EOBGames » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:25 am #594550

Malkraz wrote:
Malkraz wrote:What are your thoughts on providing players with a tool to curate which words they would not like to see in their own chats, as a potential way to avoid having to outright stop other players from using those words? I feel this is a compromise that could satisfy both sides of this issue.

You keep saying this, but it's a code solution and therefore has no relevance to a headmin platform.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby Malkraz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 am #594554

EOBGames wrote:
Malkraz wrote:
Malkraz wrote:What are your thoughts on providing players with a tool to curate which words they would not like to see in their own chats, as a potential way to avoid having to outright stop other players from using those words? I feel this is a compromise that could satisfy both sides of this issue.

You keep saying this, but it's a code solution and therefore has no relevance to a headmin platform.

I'm proposing an idea that can be used as an alternative to Rave's proposed addition to the rules, and asking if he's open to the alternative. It's relevant because it potentially makes a controversial part of his platform unnecessary.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:54 pm #594582

Malkraz wrote:
EOBGames wrote:
Malkraz wrote:
Malkraz wrote:What are your thoughts on providing players with a tool to curate which words they would not like to see in their own chats, as a potential way to avoid having to outright stop other players from using those words? I feel this is a compromise that could satisfy both sides of this issue.

You keep saying this, but it's a code solution and therefore has no relevance to a headmin platform.

I'm proposing an idea that can be used as an alternative to Rave's proposed addition to the rules, and asking if he's open to the alternative. It's relevant because it potentially makes a controversial part of his platform unnecessary.

Sure Malkraz, we can explore this idea, but I can't guarantee that the codebase will accept it.

Additionally, your suggestion would only partially address one of the three platforms we use. It would have no impact on the forums or the discord. Therefore I do not think that it would make that part of my platform unnecessary.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Location: BK ChatZone
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby RaveRadbury » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:19 am #594689

How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
ImageImageImage
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
XivilaiAnaxes
 
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:13 am
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: RaveRadbury - /tg/station, a place you can tell your friends about

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:56 am #594700

Heir apparent 2022

Good luck buddy!
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.

Previous

Return to Player's Headmin Election

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users