Blargety, Veni, vidi, vici - I came, I saw, I trained

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Byond Username: Blargety

Blargety, Veni, vidi, vici - I came, I saw, I trained

Postby Nalzul » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:39 am #591816

Who the fuck are you

I’m blargety, a longtime member from 2014 (even though I really started playing in 2018). I’ve been an admin since February 2019, and an admin trainer since June 2019. In all this time I’ve trained 7 admins, all of which I am very proud of, particularly with Naloac becoming headmin, and Exavere becoming an admin trainer himself. A summary of the admins I’ve directly and indirectly influenced and can be seen here:
Spoiler:

As well as this, I’m an admin on TGMC, starting briefly during December of 2018 before coming to /tg/, and recently re-adminning in January 2021. I’ve seen the cycles of /tg/ during the years that I’ve been around, especially with the culture change from ssethtide, and we’ve clearly been prospering as a community even more than usual over the past few terms. Going forward I want to continue that positive development of our community, and ensure that /tg/ is a place where gamers can come and spend their time without having to worry about the perils of the current political, economical, and welfare of the world.

What are you going to do?

With how well /tg/ has been doing recently I want to be able to utilize the stability we have in order to improve the admin process. Headmins often run on platforms focusing on division, or issues that seem to appear only for the campaign cycle; I think that we should be instead focusing on one of the largely ignored foundations of our community, our admins and how we develop them into valuable volunteers. For those who might think I am ignoring the players, I would instead suggest that this is an overlooked part of every campaign. By improving our admin training, we will improve the player experience with admins who are more experienced with challenging situations, and preventing problems before they happen.

Administrator Candidacy

My main concern, as it is the one I am the most familiar with, is our current training structure. Put simply, the process is as follows: put a promising member in the candidacy thread (typically we choose members with low note count, 800 connections / 1000h of playtime, and a good time slot they can admin on), wait 3 days for other admins to give feedback on those members, obtain headmin approval, then solicit that potential member if they would like to become an admin. Going forward I want to change that process to not only gauge feedback from the promising member before approval (and thereby saving time from our headmins to approve on), but also change how we train them from that point forward.

Administrator training

Currently our process to train admins involves going through all of the buttons we have on the tabs, how our ticket system works, and other out-of-game tools we use to deal with issues. We only have a written guideline of what to do for training, and everything else is up to the trainer on how they want to go about doing it. Moving forward I want to work with the new headmins in order to change how we train admins. Not only do I want scenario based situations (issues even game admins have some trouble with), but also getting rid of our 5 investigation ticket requirement for admin candidates. Not only is 5 tickets our biggest bottleneck from training new admins (I myself had to have revolution turned on in order to complete it, as nobody was sending investigation tickets in), but it ultimately serves no purpose as new admins are not entirely expected to understand the complete nuances of situational investigation.

Review threads

Even after completing the trial period for admins, the review thread serves almost little purpose than for other admins to give their +1s to. Most players don’t leave feedback on these threads, and those that do are mostly from salty behavior that they got bwoinked on. This is not to say that player feedback is not important, but we have the individual admin feedback threads for this purpose as well. What I would like to implement is headmins giving their say in why these admins were either promoted, delayed, or denied. Past tickets, bans, or notes should be brought up on the trial admin’s decisions given input on, both bad and good. Ultimately I would like the players to see how new trial admins deal with situations and tickets, and if they would need to be extended for this purpose.

Game Admin promotion

Even after being promoted there is no difference from a trial admin and a game admin, aside from fluff text, and the ability to pin messages on discord. Currently what I want to develop is a sense that Game Admins are experienced, vetted, and trusted with the issues that affect our dear space atmos simulator. I also want to discuss with my fellow headmins about further permissions we could give game admins that do not detract from the Trial Admin experience, such as discord moderator powers.

Additional platforms

While the bulk of what I want to accomplish are directing to training, there's still some other things I want to accomplish.

Antag Rep

For those of you who don't know, antag rep is an old and disabled config we have that made it so you would gain antag rep every round you played, based on the role you played the round prior. The more you went on with antag, and played during those times, the most antag rep you had, and you would have a higher chance of rolling an antag role. Antag rep was disabled a while ago as the coder for it, elfleadermike, saw that it ultimately made no different between the normal rates of getting antag. All the numbers involved with antag rep are modifiable from the config, so I want to work with my fellow headmins to have antag rep back into the game, and make sure the numbers give players a real reason to set outside their assistant-sized bubbles, and play roles that contribute to the system. As with any system, if it is abused, we can easily handle it with individual players.

Other servers and host chat

Headmins from most of the servers all talk among each other in host chat. From what I've been told by past headmins it's mostly a place where headmins shitpost, give vouches, and warn other servers of serious conduct (like doxxers). I want to work together with more codebases in order to host events, as the toolboxing and seasonal balls are the only "cross-server" event we have. Some examples of what we can do, are cross-server tournaments where we have players+admins fight in different PvP games, like in the 2018 Left4Dead2 /tg/station vs goonstation. Prizes for these could be anything from antag tokens, or steam games depending on how the other servers want to chip in with their own rewards as well.

Debate reponses

Application of new admins
Spoiler:
A new system that is the same as what we have now, but AdminObservers would be given time before training in order to give input on in-game issues, and can be determined if they should become an admin in training. This would allow us to take greater risks to candidate people who we have denied in the past, and give more opportunities to players to see if they have what it takes.

Sec metaprotection.

Spoiler:
I think what we can do is remove the meta-antag protection that security has. While the initial backlash will be awful I think it's a good way to pave the way forward to preventing security from having an OOC protection against tiders that ends up making multiple tickets when it happens. We already deal with tiders using loose escalation to attempt to get away with murdering sec for little reason, so admins are already used to cases like these. However, it gives players better tools to react against griefers who use sec, and make it obvious when people use the lack of metaprotection as a means to justify killing sec.

Public Ban Lists.

Spoiler:
Allow all bans to be public, we owe it to the other servers as a way to get rid of common griefers who move from server to server.

do you have any cool or exciting plans/suggestions for the new™ operations team

Spoiler:
I think the best thing headmins can do to support the ops team's endeavors is to utilize the tools they can give us. With a new site and forum there are topics we can bring up, such as an admin application thread, establishing a complete list of headmin ruling, and more topics that will come to us in the future. Additionally with additional VMs we can work to make separate code bases like we have with TGMC, and delegate those tasks to people we think would be fit, just like how the past headmins have with Rohesie. We could also run more event maps with these VMs, like how we typically did with the festival balls, and toolboxing for a cause.

Burnout: Plans to deal with it and your views on it

Spoiler:
Burnout is something I teach to all of my candidates, as it's a very real thing most of them won't realize until they're truly burnt out of the game. I learned this the hard way when I was a new admin trying to rack up connection count, both because I thought the new world of adminning was a unique puzzle you had to solve correctly, but also because it was a lot of fun. I like to take long breaks from the game itself (staying active in the discord to help other admins, or joining to help new admin candidates) and rejoin after a bit so all of the new pr's turn into a new game, which helps keep the game fresh to me.
Last edited by Nalzul on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

bobbahbrown

Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: Veni, vidi, vici - I came, I saw, I trained

Postby bobbahbrown » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:55 am #591823

this man has singlehandedly brought us some of the best admins in modern times

i think anyone interested in the stability and continued improvement of tg would be wise to entrust their vote to this man

best of luck,
bobbah 'bee' brown

Domitius

Byond Username: Domitius

Postby Domitius » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:58 am #591827

Game Admin promotion

Even after being promoted there is no difference from a trial admin and a game admin, aside from fluff text, and the ability to pin messages on discord. I do not know the exact solution to this without having drastic changes, but I want to talk with my fellow headmins on what we can do to make the promotion worthwhile for those who pass their trial, as it would give good reason to delay a trial admin who we do not think is doing well enough.

For those reading the only difference tangible between Trial Admins and regular Admins is that they can be dismissed for literally any reason, similar to a probation period.

Being promoted removes that weight hanging over new admins heads. Since headmins can delay a trial admins as much as they wish why do you believe this promotion should be made more worthwhile? Is there something you have in mind?

Moving over to personal bias I have seen that Trial Admins make up the majority of our administrative coverage for whatever reason. What I see is you want to restrict Trial Admins for the sake of restricting them. Can you lesson my fears on this?

MortoSasye

Byond Username: MortoSasye

Postby MortoSasye » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:00 am #591831

I must ask because I believe I may have gotten confused, but...

What I would like to implement is headmins giving their say in why these admins were either promoted, delayed, or denied. Past tickets, bans, or notes should be brought up on the trial admin’s decisions given input on, both bad and good. Ultimately I would like the players to see how new trial admins deal with situations and tickets, and if they would need to be extended for this purpose.

Does this mean that players and admins would not be able to bring up their views on an admin?
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:

Cobby

Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Postby Cobby » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:11 am #591851

based, although I find the position of "I want to change trials because they arent different enough from gamemins (besides well the obv part in which they are a trial)" kinda weird, especially since you havent explained why it is a problem or provided some sort of solution (which would explain what aspect of it you think is a problem).

removal of the 5 notes thing is nice, it's really just a snoozer.

People dont leave feedback on either trialmin or admin feedback because most people who actually play the game dont really frequent the forums or interact with the community outside of playing the game. You'd have to put that ingame somehow and then id feel like you have the other problem where people just vote without actually explaining the reasoning (or actually care about the outcome anyways unless they were wronged by that person).

easily strong vote tho.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

Jaredfogle
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Postby Jaredfogle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:12 am #591852

Even after being promoted there is no difference from a trial admin and a game admin, aside from fluff text, and the ability to pin messages on discord. I do not know the exact solution to this without having drastic changes, but I want to talk with my fellow headmins on what we can do to make the promotion worthwhile for those who pass their trial, as it would give good reason to delay a trial admin who we do not think is doing well enough.

I'm hesitant about making game admin too different from trial admin. The trial is meant to give you experience in what being admin is like, as well as knowing that you will act consistently when you are promoted. If trial admin is different from game admin, then it feels like our trials would be incomplete. What are your thoughts on this?
Mothblocks on Bagil - Say nice things about me

dragomagol
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dragomagol

Postby dragomagol » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:26 am #591867

Nalzul has trained some of my favourite admins (but I'm obviously biased) and I like the idea of formalizing the training process more.

I see that you said that the 5 tickets candidates take with trainers "serve no purpose," what would you replace this with? Scenarios with other admins aren't the same as actual tickets.
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Postby Nalzul » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:50 am #591896

Domitius wrote:For those reading the only difference tangible between Trial Admins and regular Admins is that they can be dismissed for literally any reason, similar to a probation period.
Being promoted removes that weight hanging over new admins heads. Since headmins can delay a trial admins as much as they wish why do you believe this promotion should be made more worthwhile? Is there something you have in mind?

The difference between ranks is that I want players to see a game admin and be able to trust in them. Currently a promotion is just a ceremonious post, I want players to see it as a "stamp of approval" by the headmins, where they have been vetted, reviewed, and can be trusted.

Domitius wrote:Moving over to personal bias I have seen that Trial Admins make up the majority of our administrative coverage for whatever reason. What I see is you want to restrict Trial Admins for the sake of restricting them. Can you lesson my fears on this?

The trend we seen is that most trial admins will blast the shit out of the game, due to the completely new play style and new interactions they have with the game, and will become much more inactive and burnt-out by the time they become a game admin. I intend to alleviate this by ensuring that the "weight hanging over new admins heads" is not the case and the promotion is not a race to cross, and instead a mark of improvement and experience.

Domitius

Postby Domitius » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:53 am #591902

Nalzul wrote:
Domitius wrote:For those reading the only difference tangible between Trial Admins and regular Admins is that they can be dismissed for literally any reason, similar to a probation period.

The difference between ranks is that I want players to see a game admin and be able to trust in them. Currently a promotion is just a ceremonious post, I want players to see it as a "stamp of approval" by the headmins, where they have been vetted, reviewed, and can be trusted.

Domitius wrote:Moving over to personal bias I have seen that Trial Admins make up the majority of our administrative coverage for whatever reason. What I see is you want to restrict Trial Admins for the sake of restricting them. Can you lesson my fears on this?

The trend we seen is that most trial admins will blast the shit out of the game, due to the completely new play style and new interactions they have with the game, and will become much more inactive and burnt-out by the time they become a game admin. I intend to alleviate this by ensuring that the "weight hanging over new admins heads" is not the case and the promotion is not a race to cross, and instead a mark of improvement and experience.

Having headmins do a review of the admins work over their trial to give them a stamp of approval seems like a solid idea and I believe fully within your skillset to achieve. Honestly not something I've thought about.

Thank you for the well thought out answer!

Domitius

Postby Domitius » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:58 am #591910

Domitius wrote:Having headmins do a review of the admins work over their trial to give them a stamp of approval seems like a solid idea and I believe fully within your skillset to achieve. Honestly not something I've thought about.

Sorry for clarification I mean in the sense of posting a public review of the admins work similar to a headmin response to a ban appeal. We do review a trialmins work when considering them for promotion but never post about it like this.

Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Postby Nalzul » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:02 am #591914

MortoSasye wrote:I must ask because I believe I may have gotten confused, but...

What I would like to implement is headmins giving their say in why these admins were either promoted, delayed, or denied. Past tickets, bans, or notes should be brought up on the trial admin’s decisions given input on, both bad and good. Ultimately I would like the players to see how new trial admins deal with situations and tickets, and if they would need to be extended for this purpose.

Does this mean that players and admins would not be able to bring up their views on an admin?

No, players and admins will be able to express everything they could in the past, but what I want review threads to become is an actual review. It would show actual progress during this trial period, with players and admins giving their own feedback on the samples shown of the admin's conduct, and being able to elaborate that as well.

Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Postby Nalzul » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:23 am #591947

Jaredfogle wrote:

I'm hesitant about making game admin too different from trial admin. The trial is meant to give you experience in what being admin is like, as well as knowing that you will act consistently when you are promoted. If trial admin is different from game admin, then it feels like our trials would be incomplete. What are your thoughts on this?

I agree that if we remove abilities from Trial Admins to give to Game Admins it wouldn't make the promotion meaningful. When it comes to the differences I want it to have meaning, the process shouldn't be a ceremony of being an admin for 2 months without having issues, it should be a good judge of skill by revealing any concerns by the admins, players, and ultimately the headmins.

Nervere

Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Postby Nervere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 am #591949

Hear ye hear ye, I have returned from the grave to tell thee:
Nalzul was one of the first people I trained as a headmin and exceeded all of my expectations.
He is level-headed, intelligent, and thinks before he acts. It was for these reasons among others that he soon found himself promoted to AdminTrainer.
The candidates he has brought to the admin team, as well as his solid and untarnished record as an admin prove his good judgment and understanding of how the server should be run.

I have no doubt that he would be an amazing headmin, and he has my full endorsement.
Good luck Nalzul.

Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Postby Nalzul » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:39 am #591961

dragomagol wrote:Nalzul has trained some of my favourite admins (but I'm obviously biased) and I like the idea of formalizing the training process more.

I see that you said that the 5 tickets candidates take with trainers "serve no purpose," what would you replace this with? Scenarios with other admins aren't the same as actual tickets.

Open-ended scenarios that have more than one answer to it. What we want to do is give initial experience with is calls of judgements, as they'll have to deal with those with in not only tickets, but ban appeals as well. An example of this are metagrudges. It's hard to navigate these instances because of the emotions involved, especially if the person involved isn't clear about it, and logging won't always be able to help you in these instances.

Exavere
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Exavere

Postby Exavere » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:15 am #592004

I already subject Candidates to an hour long CBT session on Admin Conduct, Admin Rules, Rule Enforcement and Banning all by itself along with note/ban questions (If I feel it's needed, or relevant) since it's extremely important. It would be awesome to have more guidelines, reminders and training points within easy access for current and future Trainers to go more in-depth with their candidates, so that we may hopefully achieve a higher level of quality of Administration towards players. I am all for those kinds of changes and improvements, no questions yet.
The Plasmeme life is not an easy one.

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Postby CitrusGender » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:59 am #592044

nazzy is based

love to see him back running again

outstanding guy with outstanding personality
thanks to ninjanomnom for making my signature

gum disease
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Postby gum disease » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:34 am #592092

BASED TIN. Put your fookin' name in the title, I can't believe I didn't see this right away.

Trained me, I'm still a var-editing noob, but you made me feel less scared about adminning (I'd declined out of fear I'd fuck up a few times when asked prior) and I really enjoy it now.
I really like your focus on admins because we do play a really big role in influencing how others enjoy /tg/ both in-game and out of it.
Also, when the hecc are we gonna be in the same round again, friend? Miss bullying you a lot.

Tin is such a fantastic trainer, he's also super sweet and chill. I think he'd take to the headmin role amazingly; I have firm confidence that he'd be able to handle any administrative issues with ease. I'm hyped.
Only negative I'd say is that he is WEAK and got beaten into crit by a non-sentient Pun Pun. :^)
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Blargety, Veni, vidi, vici - I came, I saw, I trained

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:43 pm #592171

Game admins don't need special perks and buttons to soothe their feelings of superiority over trial administrators.
Any authority they have stems wholly from the fact that their trial period was successful and they were found to be a sufficiently skilled and amenable member of the team. We keep our admin ranks as flat and undecorated as possible specifically to erode the idea of some admins being better than others (One of the main criticisms people always bring up against the GM role's perks in fact)

wesoda25
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:26 pm #592191

Dude just gets it, definitely would make for a great headmin. Too many good picks this election FUCK.

I agree with the others though, I believe the beauty of our admin system comes from its simplicity and lack of decoration. Trial admin is for judging how competent a game admin someone would be, it doesn’t make sense not to have the same abilities.

All for streamlining the candidacy process though, as someone who recently went through it I personally feel as if it did a poor job of both judging my merit and preparing me for the task of adminning (obviously there the trial period carries a lot of this weight, but the candicacy period felt snowflakey to me).
Host and code owner of Hyper Station. Admin on /tg/. I like to bicycle in my free time.

PostThis post was deleted by oranges on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:53 pm.
Reason: post it in your own thread arm

Swept

Byond Username: Swept

Postby Swept » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:54 am #592695

Good lad, very genial and real.

Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Postby Nalzul » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:52 am #592981

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone! I've tried to shape /tg/station into a better place by focusing on our admins, and even if I don't win I still hope to influence the headmins to change how we train admins so we can function as a whole even better than we are now. Additionally I've updated my platform to reflect on two non-training policies I want to go under effect.

Tivianne

Byond Username: Tivianne

Postby Tivianne » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 am #593708

My wife is running, This is pog

bobbahbrown

Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Postby bobbahbrown » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:23 pm #593899

greetings 'nalzul',

what do you have to say to the allegations that you are the ideal candidate for people to vote for? do you think the rumors are true??

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

Nalzul
TGMC Administrator

Postby Nalzul » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:38 am #594167

bobbahbrown wrote:greetings 'nalzul',

what do you have to say to the allegations that you are the ideal candidate for people to vote for? do you think the rumors are true??

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

I can say that from the unofficial listing that people gave out that I still have a strong voting number on those that have revealed it. I think that the people who want to prioritize voting for a better admin system, a better server that not only that can respond tickets faster, with stronger reasoning behind their choices, and run fun events for everyone will see what there is to gain by voting for me. Even without my platform being strong-headed on admin training, there's still plenty of things I want to accomplish to make /tg/station a better place for everyone!

Return to Player's Headmin Election