Dezupher - Striving to do good

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
Dezupher
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dezupher

Dezupher - Striving to do good

Postby Dezupher » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:34 am #591879

Hey I'm Dezu and running for Headmin. You can find me lurking around Sybil or Manuel. I've plenty of experience on both LRP and MRP as I'm actively bouncing back and forth between the two while adminning. Ever since I started playing nearly two years ago, I had no clue that I'd end up here, but I'm glad I am. I'm willing to give it my best shot at headmin to help keep things running smoothly.

Mentors.
I'm very hopeful for mentors. The typical admin stance in the past has been, "If they're good enough to be a mentor, why can't they just be an admin instead?". There are people who would make great mentors, but not quite have the desire, or proper qualifications to be an admin but can still have a very positive outlet for their experience to the community. I believe mentors can have more subtle benefits to the community than just answering mentorhelps.

Inactive / low connection admins.
Not as big a deal as people make it out to be. Sometimes people need to take breaks from being on the server and it's fine to keep them around. Booting people out can be a very negative experience, and unless it's necessary or they've gone completely quiet, it's not something worth cracking down on without proper thought given to the inactive admins current status.

More Player Polls!
Player Polls I feel are very underutilized, and I'd like to work with people to get polls running more often to help collect feedback and opinions on the shape of the server.

Closing thoughts.
In the recent weeks, I've been spending my time as an AdminTrainer, helping find and teach new recruits how to admin. I was made an admin in early 2020, and I've been playing ever since the Ssethtide took off. When initially offered admin in late 2019, I held off because I knew I wasn't ready. Since I made the decision to pick up on the opportunity to be an admin for /tg/, I've been giving it my best. My style as an admin is thorough, and I try to the best of my ability to make decisions when I'm absolutely confident in myself and that it's the right thing to do.

The previous two terms have set a very strong precedent and been incredibly smooth. My ultimate goal would be to help maintain the effort shown by the recent headmins. I'd be lying if I said /tg/ is in need of grand sweeping changes, things are doing pretty good right now and I want to keep it that way.

Jaredfogle
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Dezupher - Striving to do good

Postby Jaredfogle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:38 am #591880

More Player Polls!
Player Polls I feel are very underutilized, and I'd like to work with people to get polls running more often to help collect feedback and opinions on the shape of the server.

What do you plan on using player polls for specifically? Like, what questions might come up?
Mothblocks on Bagil - Say nice things about me

TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Postby TribeOfBeavers » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 am #591885

What steps would you take towards making establishing the mentor role beyond encouraging it?
How would mentors be selected?
What benefits do you feel there are for mentors answering questions about the round rather than only admins? For example you mention "subtle benefits". What are some examples?

What are some things you would like to poll players on? Or what are some past things you feel should have been put to polls?

Dezupher
In-Game Admin

Postby Dezupher » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 am #591924

For Polls, most likely feedback for any large policy issues that may come up and take some time to teach a consensus on.

If we're approached by maintainers or coders who are attempting to gather feedback or data on a potential PR, I'd love to work with them on setting up a poll for any feedback if they desire it. We've used polls for things like voting on maps in the past, but very sparingly, I'd like to see it happen more often if people think there's value in being able to acquire feedback this way.

One small thing I'd have like to seen as a player poll in the past was Manuel's pop cap back when it was stuck at 50 players for quite some time. It was at 50 for quite a while, and making a decision on when to raise it, a poll could have been run to help get feedback from the players to see how many were in favor of raising or lowering it. If there was an overwhelming number in favor then it probably could've happened sooner.

About mentors, mentors would be selected similarly to how admins are right now, with an emphasis on the application form. Getting one setup similar to how the previous headmins have recently gotten our admin application form up again. The process to becoming a mentor would not be nearly as long. On other servers, mentor is seen as a step before admin, and while mentors can make very good future candidates for trainers to look at, it wouldn't change our selection process or be necessary for an admincandidate to first be a mentor.

As long as someone shows that they're experienced, and well meaning in their application, they should be considered. The only requirements in my eye to be a mentor would be, to have the ability not be rude to players during a mentorhelp and be able to handle most questions that come their way. If they can't do that, they'd quickly be shown the door. If you've adminned before, you've no doubt seen the occasional ahelp apologizing for asking a question and they're not even sure ahelping is the right thing to do. Mentors are far more approachable in that regard and can help new players feel more comfortable and the players who are too scared to ahelp and ask for help. A subtle benefit I'd like to point out is that becoming a mentor can be a very positive experience for the mentors themselves, and can help them become better members of the community. I know a player who was banned from the /tg/ community, but after becoming a mentor on another server, really turned themselves around and into an excellent player.

Jaredfogle
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Postby Jaredfogle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:21 am #591943

Your reply very adequately answered my concern, thank you.
Mothblocks on Bagil - Say nice things about me

Domitius

Byond Username: Domitius

Postby Domitius » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:14 am #592003

Over these past couple terms the regular tongue-in-cheek insults that players have chucked between servers has created a fabricated divide between the player base. With your unique position of straddling between MRP and the regular servers do you have any ideas on how to approach this problem? Do you believe that this divide is fabricated or is there something more?

Mentors.
I'm very hopeful for mentors. The typical admin stance in the past has been, "If they're good enough to be a mentor, why can't they just be an admin instead?". There are people who would make great mentors, but not quite have the desire, or proper qualifications to be an admin but can still have a very positive outlet for their experience to the community. I believe mentors can have more subtle benefits to the community than just answering mentorhelps.

Personally I'm against mentors for the same reason you stated. If mentors were to be created what kind of permissions would they be granted? TGMC has an effective mentor structure do you think we should adopt their system, look somewhere else, or create something in house?

Dezupher
In-Game Admin

Postby Dezupher » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:35 am #592036

The permissions I imagine for a mentor system that would work for us would be very limited initially. Pretty much only the ability to respond to mentorhelps, and maybe a role on the discord with no private channel associated with having the role. If we even manage to get that far, we'd find out if the role should be given more than the minimum required to perform as mentors. I understand the apprehensiveness against mentors, since that's been the usual admin stance for quite some time, but properly setup I don't believe it would take much effort to maintain.

We can, and have existed without mentors, they're by no means necessary. If the other headmins would be willing to work with me on it I want to give it an honest attempt to see if it would work for us. They can be a very positive inclusion that I don't think should be continued to be denied a chance for the same tired reason.

Since I've constantly swapped between the two, I always viewed the divide between LRP and MRP being mostly fabricated, and just banter from people who have their preferences. People rib on MRP whenever an odd issue comes out of it and MRP laughs at the LRP servers for shooting themselves in the foot with LRP antics, even though they're fine with it and having fun. People may have their favorite server, and banter between players is fine, but when admins start publicly condemning one of the two, it's somewhat of an issue. Admins are expected to treat each other with some level of respect, and that should extend to the other servers.

Domitius

Byond Username: Domitius

Postby Domitius » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:04 am #592045

Thank you very much for your reply!

Looking over your platform even while not agreeing with mentors I feel like you're one of the only candidates who stand out in terms of being able to handle the entire mess that is being a headmin. I've never seen you lose your temper either which was one of my fatal flaws during this term.

For these reasons alone you have my whole hearted support! You would make a wonderful well rounded headmin with your cross server experience.

Good luck Dezu!

Timonk

Byond Username: Timonk

Postby Timonk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:20 am #592070

how do you stand out from the other headmin candidates before you that have had this exact program
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel

Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.

Cimika
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Cimika

Postby Cimika » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:03 am #592082

One of Dezupher's biggest strength is their experience across the different flavours of /tg/ servers. I agree with Domitius on their behaviour as well. A strong choice for headmin.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Postby Armhulen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:05 am #592084

Timonk wrote:how do you stand out from the other headmin candidates before you that have had this exact program

There comes a time in playing ss13 where you just like, soul read "the good one" the candidate that doesn't really offer anything crazy but is just a solid person

wesoda25
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Wesoda25

Postby wesoda25 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:14 pm #592182

A very conscientious player/admin who could represent both LRP and MRP fairly. Dezu would make for a great headmin if given the opportunity, good luck!
Host and code owner of Hyper Station. Admin on /tg/. I like to bicycle in my free time.

Rohesie
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:19 pm #592185

Perhaps Dezu's biggest weakness is how uncontroversially decent they are.

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 pm #592188

I believe mentors can have more subtle benefits to the community than just answering mentorhelps.

What are some of these benefits? You're the only candidate really pushing this policy that hasn't been seen in half a decade, you may need to spell some things out for us.

MortoSasye

Byond Username: MortoSasye

Postby MortoSasye » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:34 pm #592194

As someone that wished previously to add mentors, I absolutely love you're pushing towards such a goal.

For sure a top pick!
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Postby Armhulen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:02 pm #592199

Oh what MENTORS? Cmon dezu that's cray cray. The missing puzzle piece in the mentor puzzle is that we don't have enough active admins because the community doesnt have enough people that are still active after a year of playing, friendly, trustworthy, and as you've seen... actually want it. It isn't like we havent been able to take notice of good players, we spot them all eventually and until that point they're building time

TL;DR mentor makes little sense for tg given that the issue with adding admins isn't finding them but just that we don't have enough players meeting the bar

Shaps-cloud
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Shaps

Postby Shaps-cloud » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:07 am #592474

Dezupher is an extremely strong candidate who's been a longstanding part of both the LRP and MRP sub-communities, and is able to move fluidly between administrating/playing each of them without issue. They're thoughtful, easy to talk to, and most importantly for a headmin, willing to ask questions when they need help or advice. I have full confidence in Dezupher for the position of headmin, and while I haven't supported the idea of mentors in the past, I think it would definitely be possible to set up some way for admins to be able to defer questions to a mentor group or maybe experienced players sitting in deadchat.

Either way, Dezu is very good.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.

PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Postby PKPenguin321 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 am #592479

Have you read Fire Punch?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:

Dezupher
In-Game Admin

Postby Dezupher » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:46 am #592522

I'll make another post regarding mentors I suppose, though I didn't imagine it to be an incredibly massive point or goal of mine.
Armhulen wrote:TL;DR mentor makes little sense for tg given that the issue with adding admins isn't finding them but just that we don't have enough players meeting the bar

Mentors are merely an optional bonus. In my eye, the bar for mentor and admin are not the same. When scouting out quality players for admin, we typically start considering them once they reach 600+ or so hours usually waiting a bit longer than that anyways before approaching them. The time requirement for a mentor program would be much lower than the one we use for for admincandidates. Really, if a player shows that they're knowledgeable in game mechanics, and can be polite while speaking with players, that's all they need. They could have only 200 hours for all I care if they can prove they fit the bill and have spent a decent amount of time on the server recently.

I want to believe that we do have people that can meet the bar for mentor but aren't quite meeting the bar for admin, or simply don't want the full responsibility of admin. If we ever manage to get a proper setup for mentors, it doesn't matter how many we have. Admins would always be able to answer mentorhelps, and even if we only ever peak at like 5 mentors total, I still think that it can be beneficial in situations where a mentor is online when there are no admins on the server. Giving players a mentor role can also help with their engagement in the community, if they decide they want to.

Again, mentors are simply a small add-on in my eyes, and I can't see enough reasons we shouldn't give it a serious look at, which is what I want to do.

PKPenguin321 wrote:Have you read Fire Punch?

Kino Punch

Jordie0608
Site Admin

Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Postby Jordie0608 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:02 pm #592541

I'd like to clarify mentors from a code side as it may inform your view. Excluding an entirely new implementation mentors would essentially be an extension of the admin holder system, much of which assumes any rank is allowed to see sensitive OOC information and press some buttons mentors shouldn't be able to. While the coding that'd be needed to address this would be merely tedious it does mean mentors can't be accomplished without proper support for them added.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.

Rohesie
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Rohesie

Postby Rohesie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:41 pm #592571

To clarify further, proper code support for mentors had been proposed, and we have more than one existing implementation on different close codebases. The main impediment has been lack of interest from the administration.

Dezu can't promise mentor code to be added, but they can promise to give it admin-side support, which is currently lacking and has cut the idea short in the past.

Return to Player's Headmin Election