Coconutwarrior97 - The Drupe Strikes Back

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Head Admin

Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Coconutwarrior97 - The Drupe Strikes Back

Postby Coconutwarrior97 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:11 am #591932

Howdy, I'm goin for round three. Got two terms of experience under my belt now, and I like to think I have continued to be active on the headmin front this past term.
As opposed to my first term, I believe we've managed to stay pretty active throughout this term without any major dips.

To start with I'll cover what I wanted to do from last term,

I want to continue elaborating on the MRP rules I’ve pushed out, as well as responding to policy discussions for both MRP and the regular servers.
73 policy discussion responses have been put out this term. Which is an increase from the 46 from my first term. Among these have been responses to MRP policy discussion threads. Additionally some rules updates were made to MRP Policy outside of policy discussion.

Another aspect I'd like to push for is a new rule for the discord server, ''Bigotry is not allowed…”
MSO beat us to the punch on this one, but I’ve done my best to ensure it is enforced fairly. Namely that slurs alone are not bannable, but bigotry most definitely is. That has no place on a space atmos game where people just want to enjoy themselves.

I’d also like to make changes to naming policy, I think this game is at its heart meant to be quite goofy so some greater degree of freedom in names would be play well to that idea.
New naming policy rules were implemented towards the start of the term, I’ve seen some dissatisfaction with them and would like to spend some time reassessing this to see if they’ve brought more harm than good or vice versa.

Now, onto what I’d like to do this term:
1) Additional policybus integration to include administrators and players wanting to weigh in on policy given temporary access to state their piece and discuss things with the headmins. I believe we have made good strides with it this term. I think a lot of good can come out of more discussion in this manner.

2) Continuation of Policy Discussion responses. This is especially important to me and its often the main focus of my time through ought the term. I enjoy taking the time to read through these threads, listen to people, and mold multiple ideas into a policy I believe is a benefit to the server.

3) Formal guideline for administrative notes/punishment. While I think we’ve gained experience this term in regards to how to deal with incidents of administrative misconduct I believe making a guideline for this would go a long way to helping future headmins. This would look very similar to how we generally deal with a player breaking the rules, as previous incidents, the individual showing a willingness/unwillingness to change and of course the type of rule break are all important factors. This will primary focus as a guideline, as any document which requires a form of strict adherence tends to take out the consideration for context, which I believe is the most important factor for any decision in regards to this sort of thing.

4) Limited Public Ban Database, we could have gone through with this, this term, as we had the votes for it. We simply did not. There is no good excuse beyond, our brains are hit by a lot of people asking a lot of things, and we can get overwhelmed with data and straight up forget stuff. My memory is awful as a result of that. Though I will make this one of the first things I want to push through. Public Bans will come with the following tweaks: Permabans will be the only ones publicized in a publicly accessible list, server bans will be announced on the server they were placed on at round end. The announcement will not list who was banned, but simply give the ban type/time and reason.

5) Formal discord report system, a formalized discord report system would be good to encourage more reports, and reduce incidents of attempts to weaponize the discord administrative team, and in turn better deal with those who make these attempts. This will likely end up with a bot being used as suggested by GumDisease.

Now to address something I’m fairly sure will come up,

“But won’t you burn out/go inactive with a third term?” I don’t believe I will, many people raised similar understandable concerns the last election cycle. I believe I have proven that sentiment wrong this past term. I can remain active primarily because I care a whole heck of a lot about TG and its community. I also understand how to take frequent short breaks which helps A LOT in preventing burn out. I will continue to consult, administrators, players and coders on how to best improve things, and I am excited to go through with a third term. Though I’m not insane enough for a fourth so this would be my last.

Plapatin
In-Game Game Master

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Re: Coconutwarrior97 - The Drupe Strikes Back

Postby Plapatin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:12 am #591934

not voting for coconut for his sake
he's an incredibly good headmin and would absolutely do well in a third term given the chance, though
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose

Malkraz

Byond Username: Malkraz

Postby Malkraz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:22 am #591944

Coconutwarrior97 wrote:Permabans will be the only ones publicized in a publicly accessible list

Would this distinguish between permabans and perma "go to the forums to talk" bans?
Coconutwarrior97 wrote:The announcement will not list who was banned, but simply give the ban type/time and reason.

Is that really necessary? The majority of the time it would be pretty damn easy to sus out who caught the hammer. In any case this is supremely based because people always ask who got dunked.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Head Admin

Postby Coconutwarrior97 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 am #591953

Malkraz wrote:Would this distinguish between permabans and perma "go to the forums to talk" bans?

Simply from a design perspective I doubt this is actually even possible to do. So I highly doubt there would be a distinction.
Malkraz wrote:Is that really necessary? The majority of the time it would be pretty damn easy to sus out who caught the hammer. In any case this is supremely based because people always ask who got dunked.

Its something I'd prefer, as I'd still like to give players some measure of privacy.
The main focus for this is that I'd like players to be more aware of bannable offenses, to discourage rule breaks especially amongst newer players who may not be as familiar with the rules.
Additionally its a good means of transparency in my view as any bans which are questionable can be more easily brought to light and dealt with.

Farquaar

Byond Username: Farquaar

Postby Farquaar » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 am #591963

Farquaar enthusiastically endorses Coconutwarrior for president.

Plapatin wrote:not voting for coconut for his sake
he's an incredibly good headmin and would absolutely do well in a third term given the chance, though

Coconut’s got good judgement and thick skin. If he wasn’t good for another term, then the man wouldn’t be running.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Postby Super Aggro Crag » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:31 am #591986

a while ago coconutwarrior97 fucked up and got me banned from the forum

he fixed it and apologized

that's pretty cool

gum disease
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Postby gum disease » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 am #592087

Coco is a very kind headmin, and is very open to feedback and criticism about how situations are handled admin-wise.
I will say that I don't want the term 3 curse to hit you, (because it'd be a damn shame) but I think you can handle it.

With regard to the bigotry rule (particularly on the Discord server), do you think it would be feasible to further clarify what we'd regard as violating or not? Obviously, I can understand not wanting to be majorly specific as that can be abused - but there still seems to be some confusion about what is and isn't permissible.
I noticed that the game server rules elaborates more on this than the Discord one, and I think it would really help to maybe follow suit with the Discord rules.

Building on from this do you think it would be possible to have a clearer policy/procedure/guidelines (maybe a report form) on how to report Discord server violations to the Discord jannies?
I don't know if it would be possible with /tg/, but I've seen a few servers that have a bot that you DM with your concerns (that have to be formatted in a specific way) which are then forwarded to the admin team to investigate.

I like your proposal regarding admin notes and punishment. It's been unfortunate that there have been a few instances of admins not behaving appropriately, so having official guidelines pertaining to this put in place is a very sound suggestion.

I'm sure you'll do great, Coco! ^^
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.

bobbahbrown

Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Postby bobbahbrown » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:04 pm #592138

coconut's dedication to this term has been obvious, and despite my initial concerns that he may burn out in a second term he has clearly shown that to be wrong.

if he feels that he can do a third term, i think he would be a valuable asset to this community as he has proven in the past.

best of luck,
bobbah 'bee' brown

tinodrima7020

Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Postby tinodrima7020 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:10 pm #592139

A question for the following item

Coconutwarrior97 wrote: I’ve done my best to ensure it is enforced fairly. Namely that slurs alone are not bannable, but bigotry most definitely is.

You make this claim, and yet, I have only seen this rule enforced when the supposed bigotry pertains to sexuality and gender, not when it deals with race. Could you elaborate further as to why the two subjects take precedence when trying to enforce this rule fairly?
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:21 pm #592157

I haven't always agreed with Coconutwarrior's policy or decisionmaking this term, but he's consistently approachable and friendly and good-natured which makes up for a lot and takes away the fear of criticism some headmins emit.

skoglol
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Postby skoglol » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 pm #592162

I cant see any reason coco shouldnt be ready for round 3, he clearly seems to be enjoying the pressure, responsibility and attention involved in being a headmin. Will likely get my admin vote again, as he's done a good job so far.

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Head Admin

Postby Coconutwarrior97 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 am #592423

gum disease wrote:With regard to the bigotry rule (particularly on the Discord server), do you think it would be feasible to further clarify what we'd regard as violating or not? Obviously, I can understand not wanting to be majorly specific as that can be abused - but there still seems to be some confusion about what is and isn't permissible.

I think the rule is sufficient as it is, I don't think the rule in the rule page on the TG wiki really adds much personally, beyond explicitly allowing IC species-ism which isn't very relevant to the discord server.

gum disease wrote:Building on from this do you think it would be possible to have a clearer policy/procedure/guidelines (maybe a report form) on how to report Discord server violations to the Discord jannies?
I don't know if it would be possible with /tg/, but I've seen a few servers that have a bot that you DM with your concerns (that have to be formatted in a specific way) which are then forwarded to the admin team to investigate.

This is a good point, and something I'm very interested in. I'll be including it in my campaign goals. I think it will do alot to encourage reports, and ensure these reports are more objective rather than coming across as attempts to weaponize the discord jannies against a particular individual. On that note I think we've done well at avoiding it, though I've still seen attempts to weaponize the team before, and those that have attempted this have been handled.

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Head Admin

Postby Coconutwarrior97 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:31 am #592434

tinodrima7020 wrote:You make this claim, and yet, I have only seen this rule enforced when the supposed bigotry pertains to sexuality and gender, not when it deals with race. Could you elaborate further as to why the two subjects take precedence when trying to enforce this rule fairly?

What you perceive to be happening and what is actually happening are two very different things.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28232
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27922

I also took a moment to search the keyword "Rule 11" among notes/bans placed upon players, and found many to be related to race.
Sexuality/Gender take no precedence over Race in regards to Rule 11 and vice versa.

Domitius

Byond Username: Domitius

Postby Domitius » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:05 am #593314

Hello! During this past term Coconut was an extremely vital part to getting myself acclimated to the Headmin role and much, much more. Without them around I don't think we would have been rolling nearly as quickly as we would have otherwise.

Several reasons I like Coco

1. They have no fear in tackling tough situations.
2. Sitting down to properly go through policy threads can be a drag but they have demonstrated over two terms how deeply they understand the importance of doing it.
3. The strongest advocate for due process out of everyone here. Great person to reach out to about it.
4. How they look is not a factor in their drive to properly handle issues. They have time and time again focused purely on doing the right thing as opposed to what is easy.
5. They are quick to spot good ideas among the admin team and to workshop them into a suitable form to be introduced.
6. Extremely chill. I've never seen them lose their temper which is something that should be highly prized about somebody on the top.

One of the greatest things I've been able to do as Headmin is do no brain book keeping because I've had Coco in the back room handling the stuff that actually matters. Know that if you vote Coconutwarrior97 you'll have a reliable Headmin who is insanely professional and does the stuff nobody else wants to do.

It's been an honour working with them.

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:32 pm #593402

What's your opinion on the way admins or constructive/friendly members of the community frequently are able to toe the line on vaguely-defined rules due to getting more benefit of the doubt than people who are rude or abrasive in nature?

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Head Admin

Postby Coconutwarrior97 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:38 pm #593410

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:What's your opinion on the way admins or constructive/friendly members of the community frequently are able to toe the line on vaguely-defined rules due to getting more benefit of the doubt than people who are rude or abrasive in nature?

Its a bit hard for me to answer this in general terms, and I'd honestly prefer specifics but I'll try my best. I do take into account people showing remorse/willingness to change, as opposed to the opposite when I make any kind of decision which many end with some kind of potential punishment, and I think its a fair thing to do.
Now, if there's a trend of some kind I can see, and they've apologized for their actions within that trend in the past I'm going to consider that remorse a lot less, since despite them offering their words that they'll improve there still seems to be a troubling trend, and that needs to be dealt with.

I also think its just a natural tendency of folks to want to be nicer to the people who are nice, as opposed to those who may be rude/abrasive. I do my best to not allow that to affect my decisions in any way, and I don't believe I have, but if you think I have I encourage you to bring it up to me.
I'm very open to criticism especially if it will make things more fair. I encourage you to do the same if you've noticed it with any particular administrator as well. Both the administrative team and community have a vested interest in seeing administrative actions being conducted fairly, and I am always open
to any criticisms/opinions which seek to bring up any potential bias or unfairness.

As to how that kind of thing can be prevented, I'd likely point to standardization. Put policies/guidelines in place which better define how certain conduct should be handled. As to what policies/guidelines those are, the most obvious thing I can point to is my desire to standardize more discord moderation.
The idea gum disease mentioned, a standardization of discord reports is a definite start, and I've been thinking of adding a channel to the discord similar to supportbus, where players who are warned/kicked/banned can be talked to before any action is taken. As of present we have been rather inconsistent
with wether people are informed of their ban reason or not, and I can't deny the possibility that this is due to what you brought up in your question. So I think that's the best example I can provide to you on how I think situations like what you mentioned can best be remedied.

CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Postby CitrusGender » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:41 pm #593941

coconut is great and probably is the most deserving out of all of the candidates to get this honestly

It's honestly overlooked often but the need for stable leadership in the community is one of the most important things and people don't realize the value of having a continuing headmin from last term. There's a good reason why the admin team votes for the same headmin from last term and coconut definitely has done a good job in the past two terms.

not unprecedented for a third one, though unprecedented for three in a row, good luck lad.
thanks to ninjanomnom for making my signature

Return to Player's Headmin Election