NamelessFairy - Focus on fixing

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
NamelessFairy
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: NamelessFairy

NamelessFairy - Focus on fixing

Postby NamelessFairy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 pm #592251

Who am I?
Hi, I’m NamelessFairy, also known ingame by Morgan Robinson. I’m an Admin Trainer who primarily admins on Terry but occasionally visits Sybil.

Why me?
In my time adminning I’ve demonstrated that I can consistently be one of the most active admins on the team. I believe that this shows that even as a headmin my consistently high activity can easily be split between keeping ontop of the new commitments as headmin and continuing to act as an admin on the servers.

What do I want to change?
The core of what I want to accomplish is to fix things that do not work in their current state. The almost completely unused event workshop and messy archives of policy’s are my focuses.

1. I want to create an event content catalog to expand the functionality of the event workshop.
2. I want a reorganization of important current and future headmin rulings and server policy's.
3. I want to raise playtime requirements for roles that tend to get new players banned.

Why do I want this changed?
1. The event workshop forum is incredibly underused. Admins don’t use it to find event ideas and event runners don’t post their event ideas there, and yet it was designed to be where larger scale events were born. What I want is to create a catalog of sorts, where event content creators can share their creations and event runners and admins can use it. This will give event content creators a real outlet to share their work and more opportunities for their work to be used in game. It’ll also give admins a far better grasp on a players potential to run their own events. Stating an idea is one thing but having a portfolio of maps/sprites/etc for events is far better, this catalog would provide this.

2. Our headmin ruling page has become an out of date mess of things already covered by the rules and things far too important to be hidden away on a subpage of the rules. I want critical rulings integrated with the server rules. While I intend to start with the current wiki headmin ruling page, I want to apply this to recent head admin rulings from the policy forums. Many policy’s are important for players to know, and its unfair to expect players to dig through a forum containing over 1000 threads to find out if they’re allowed to do something or not. I want important policy’s on the wiki, with critical ones in the server rules. Organizing every single ruling is not something reasonably accomplishable, but I want to set a president of keeping important policy easy to read alongside out rules, so the mess at least wont get any worse.
To give an example of where I think we are with the existing head admin ruling page I’ve categorized them and given a preliminary ruling as to how each should be treated. These are not final rulings.
Spoiler:

3. The roles that I think are primary offenders are the Captain, HoS and silicons. These jobs require experienced players to be played well, and poor play can ruin rounds for others. My primary reason for wanting this change is that these roles are ban traps for new players. These roles appeal to new players, these new players still blinded by the creative freedoms SS13 provides will make choices that with their newfound powers will ruin the round for others. The issue here is that when a players round has been severely impeded by a player in an important role, admins tend to intervene harshly. I want players to be experienced enough for freedom of actions SS13 provides to wear off before playing these roles, raising playtime requirements helps accomplish this. Both for the better of experienced players not having to worry about brand new players in important roles, and for new players to stop them from being in a position that requires restraint that they’ve not gained yet.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and I’d by happy to answer any questions you may have of me.
Last edited by NamelessFairy on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragomagol
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dragomagol

Re: NamelessFairy - Focus on fixing

Postby dragomagol » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:57 pm #592257

NamelessFairy wrote:1. I want to create an event content catalog to expand the functionality of the event workshop.
2. I want a reorganization of important current and future headmin rulings and server policy's.
3. I want to raise playtime requirements for roles that tend to get new players banned.

1) I frequently forget that the events workshop exists at all, and would love to see more resources added to it (like a link to the sprite repo, and the away mission sample map that I am determined to push along). What would you do to make this subforum (or getting the Event Runner role) better known?

3) What would you like to see the new requirement caps be?
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

NamelessFairy
In-Game Admin

Postby NamelessFairy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:32 pm #592268

dragomagol wrote:1) I frequently forget that the events workshop exists at all, and would love to see more resources added to it (like a link to the sprite repo, and the away mission sample map that I am determined to push along). What would you do to make this subforum (or getting the Event Runner role) better known?

Events have an always will be a core parts of what makes space station 13 unique. Its so important that I want the forum we have for the discussion on making them moved to the front page of the forums alongside the the coding and Sprite/Mapping forums. I think naturally if the resources that event running receives expand it will gather more interest and the Event Running role will become more well know which will cause those interested to seek the path to become one.

I should also have made it more clear that I don't intend for the catalog to be contained within the forums but rather a separate platform (currently planned to be a github repo or similar) that functions alongside the forums. Gathering assets in a forum is just going to create a mess which will be awful to sort through.

dragomagol wrote:3) What would you like to see the new requirement caps be?

This is something that I would need to discuss in detail with effected players and other head admins. As it stands, I want a minimum increase to 30 hours command/sec for Captain and HoS and 50 Hours living for silicon roles. I've discussed this topic with a few players and these numbers have not got any complaints yet, although I've had suggestions of higher requirements such as 50 hours for HoS or whitelisting the roles altogether, the latter of these seems too extreme for my liking.

Timberpoes
Code Maintainer

Byond Username: Timberpoes

Postby Timberpoes » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:42 pm #592296

NamelessFairy wrote:2. I want a reorganization of important current and future headmin rulings and server policy's.

What are your opinions on the divide between formal server rules/policy and headmin rulings - If that question is too wide, I'd genuinely like to see Headmin Ruling scrapped as a concept, and any headmin rulings that are good enough to stand the test of time being incorporated into the core server rules so players don't have to memorise two different sometimes contradictory pages to play. That should provide context to help you answer.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Admin: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship.

Colovorat

Byond Username: Kekium

Postby Colovorat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:47 am #592439

Any other plans for the servers? I don't see anything global that can interest me.

NamelessFairy
In-Game Admin

Postby NamelessFairy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 pm #592598

Timberpoes wrote:What are your opinions on the divide between formal server rules/policy and headmin rulings - If that question is too wide, I'd genuinely like to see Headmin Ruling scrapped as a concept, and any headmin rulings that are good enough to stand the test of time being incorporated into the core server rules so players don't have to memorise two different sometimes contradictory pages to play. That should provide context to help you answer.

I believe that most of the headmin rulings on the wiki have stood the test of time well and should be integrated into the rules if particularly important. Those which are challenged should be re-debated as with modern policy's. While integrating policy and headmin rulings into the rules would be great theres just too much to put in without making the rules overcomplicated. I think that a separate page in our rules for policy's and headmin rulings is here to stay, its easier to read than going through the forums. Of course, I don't want players to have to memorize two pages of rules, I want the important rulings in the rules but more fringe rulings on a policy page or on pages relevant to the ruling. You shouldn't need the policy page to play but should be there to answer specific questions that a player might have. As for headmin rulings as a whole, they'll continue to exist as rulings shared between admins which are generally agreed on, but I don't see any reason to make new ones and hand them directly to the playerbase. The only "official" headmin ruling made in the previous term was to ban 10-codes, immediately after the headmin ruling a policy thread was opened on the topic. The policy ruling was the important part here.

Now to answer your question in short, headmin rulings in present times should be treated like any other admins ruling, just with a bit more weight. While policy is equal the rules.

NamelessFairy
In-Game Admin

Postby NamelessFairy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:19 pm #592602

Colovorat wrote:Any other plans for the servers? I don't see anything global that can interest me.

I'm going to respond to this question with another question. What interests you most about the servers? I'll see if I can give my insight if I would have any plans for it.

The topics in my platform have been thoroughly discussed with effected parties and I'm confident are things that TG as a whole would benefit from. If I did mention I had an idea of a plan for something in response to you then I'd ideally want to take the idea through the same level of rigorous discussion before I made attempts to implement it, so no promises if I mention an idea based of a topic you bring up.

Return to Player's Headmin Election