MrMelbert - All Ears

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.

Moderator: oranges

Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
mrmelbert
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Mr Melbert

MrMelbert - All Ears

Postby mrmelbert » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:14 pm #592306

Hello, i'm Melbert. I play on Manuel a lot and go by a variety of flower names - Joey Petunia and Smells-The-Roses are the ones you might know. You might also know me from somewhere else but I assure you that's probably not me. I played a bit back in 2018 before leaving for 2 years but now i've sunk a million hours into /tg/ in the past year, and I'm running for headmin.

LRP

I don't play LRP much at all, so i'd defer to the LRP admins and the LRP players for policy changes and such. From my perspective the LRP servers seem like they're in an alright place that people enjoy playing on. I wouldn't want to force any policy on the LRP players that they disagree with. I feel like i'm still an LRP player at heart, so despite not playing there I can understand what the LRP players might support or hate. Ultimately I don't think many changes need to be done in its current state.

MRP

/tg/Manuel is in a strange place as it stands, but if you ask me i'd say the policy is currently 'adequate'. I believe I have a firm understanding of the greater MRP community and what they want overall. One thing I'd like to adjust is the subject of Dynamic. While I was hesitant on the implementation of dynamic full time on Manuel, the changes made by Mothblocks have gone a long way into making workable in the MRP setting. Despite this, I still would like to move towards relaxing dynamic slightly. Manuel in the past was known for its longer, more toned down rounds, and as of late i've seen many complaints about the slow decline in round length and the sharp rise in general chaos. I'd like to work with the config and Mothblocks to make Dynamic 2021 more tame while still bringing the action that dynamic is known for.

Community As A Whole

I'd like to see a decline in the cross server hostility that's come accustomed between the LRP and MRP servers. Every conversation, discord, OOC message I see that mention MRP on LRP servers, or LRP on MRP servers are often filled with aggressive remarks about each other, which is saddening to see. All in all we're just one big spaceman nerd game community, and I don't like that people degrade to shitflinging whenever their server rivals are mentioned. Friendly banter is one thing, but oftentimes it's not friendly at all.

I'd also like to see more community polling. I'd definitely be in favor of polling the LRP servers for opinions on policy as I do not play there. As for the MRP servers, many players there want to share their opinions on policy but shy away from the forums. I'd like to run more polls there, too, so they can get a say in policy without needing to coming to the forums, as the forums tend to scare people away due to antiquity / other reasons (like above).

Wizard?

The disabling of wizard was a hot topic that's ongoing in the policy feedback subforum. I personally agree with disabling wizard and would not oppose it if my fellow headmins agree. If it comes to that point, I would love to poll the community as a whole for their opinions and - if the support is there in the playerbase - disable wizard once and for all for the reasons discussed in the policy thread.

Misc?

I don't think inactive admins are truly a massive problem as people make it out but I wouldn't oppose other headmins moving to remove them.

I like the idea of public ban listings to better give players an idea of what is or isn't acceptable.

But you're new?

I am relatively new to the admin team, yes, but I believe I have a strong grasp of our community as a whole and understand what a majority of players want to work towards. I have a deep love for what weird odd community this server has developed and would hate to see anything bad happen to it.

Thank you for reading and considering my platform, and have a good day.

cybersaber101
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Re: MrMelbert - All Ears

Postby cybersaber101 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 am #592688

You mentioned in your platform to bridge the gap slowly developing between communities in Regular servers and the MRP servers but how do you plan to actually deal with this issue?
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-

mrmelbert
In-Game Admin

Postby mrmelbert » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 am #592701

You mentioned in your platform to bridge the gap slowly developing between communities in Regular servers and the MRP servers but how do you plan to actually deal with this issue?

Part of it involves getting the two playerbases to realize that for all their differences, they're still shockingly similar at their cores. Both playerbases exist entirely isolated of each other and have no idea of how either operates. Encouraging and hosting cross-server events is one way to get the two playerbases to mingle more and brings on friendly banter instead of the anonymous hostility we see in OOC and on discord. The few balls and the toolbox tourney are examples of this, and I think it would go well to host similar cross-server events more often. They don't have to be massive undertakings like the balls, but just small things that invites the two severs to join for an hour or so. Another way I could see about doing this is suggesting admins or eventrunners mention when they're running certain events on servers in #admin-auditorium. People from other servers who normally would not see when these events are ran might be interested in what's going on and visit a sever they don't frequent. Even if they observe instead of playing they're still ingesting another server's culture.

dendydoom

Byond Username: Dendydoom

Postby dendydoom » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:13 pm #592811

Melbert is honestly a badass and someone I can come to about anything - he is highly active on Manuel, always available on discord, and always makes time to help people, whatever their issues are. He does so fairly and without bias, his decisions always seem to be backed by solid reasoning and he goes to great lengths to explain things in great detail so even dumbasses like me can understand.

Thanks for being a rad dude Melbert and good luck in the election!

Taylork2

Byond Username: Taylork2

Postby Taylork2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:29 pm #593916

Is disabling wizard something you'd only enact on Manual or would you disable wizard on all servers?

mrmelbert
In-Game Admin

Postby mrmelbert » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:22 am #593957

Is disabling wizard something you'd only enact on Manual or would you disable wizard on all servers?

Disabling wizard would likely be an all or nothing change, it greatly depends on the overall feedback of the playerbase. Families was the only gamemode we had disabled on some servers but not others, and it was because it was a mostly RP based gamemode. In contrast wizard is not remotely RP based and has very few reasons to stay on one server if it gets disabled on the others. I'm willing to compromise if the feedback says MRP overwhelmingly doesn't want wizard but LRP is less convinced but I really don't want to split the servers at the game level if possible.

Return to Player's Headmin Election