ArcaneMusic: I like to think that I'm a nice person. (DROPPED OUT OF THE RUNNING)

Resolved.
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic: I like to think that I'm a nice person. (DROPPED OUT OF THE RUNNING)

Post by Arcanemusic » #611517

"Wow, hugbug's running for an election what the fu-" Get your eyes checked.
Hi, I'm Arcane, more specifically ArcaneMusic. I've been playing on /tg/ since around 2015, but I've been playing SS13 since about 2013 altogether. I played the game a LOT before I actually 'joined' the community (After I think I got banned for doing something stupid many many years ago), and then just kinda stuck around. And then I started to code. And then I got admined by Armhulen. And then I got more involved in some of the larger scale SS13 projects like helping to revamp economy, reworking botany, contributing to modsuits (2021), the wall project (It's actually really close to complete, don't believe the redditors!), and a whole bunch more things that I'm actually really proud of.
Platform:
I don't believe there's a whole ton of things off the bat that I want to see changed from the server, but that's not to say that there's nothing. From the administrative side I only have a few things that I want to run under:
* Faster denial process for shitpost appeals so that the admin team can spend more time on bans that require real attention
* I want a UNIFORM COLOR SCHEME FOR DISCORD ROLES GOD DAMNIT.

As a contributor to the code project but not necessarily a maintainer, there are also things that I would personally like to take on as it makes the project better overall, and gives players more of a taste of the /tg/ style, so to speak. by making me headmin and throwing me keyholder rights, I'd love to get a faster process for testmerging PRs on servers. Not to say that it's not fast when it needs to be, but setting up some kind of system so that anyone can quickly request a testmerge and get either a quick yes/no without having to ping keyholders every 30 minutes.

Note: I'm not much of an MRP player. I believe that MRP appears to be a good place, but that said, I'm willing to listen to see what could be changed or improved with MRP going forward, just the same as anything else.

Cool.

Bro do you even play?
I'm a full time student right now finishing up a bachelors in mechanical engineering, which should be done this spring if, ya know, I don't totally screw everything up. I thought it'd be a fun thing to do in my limited free time, and I still intend to play whenever I get a free moment as I usually tend to do. Granted, as of late I've been rather busy with a research on path planning.

But can you meme bro? I haven't laughed ONCE this thread.
Yes, I can in fact meme. FUCKBO-
Yeah I'm human, just like the rest of us.

Honestly, I don't expect to do all that well but fuck it, why not run, ya know?
Last edited by Arcanemusic on Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: ArcaneMusic: I like to think that I'm a nice person.

Post by MortoSasye » #611758

Lov u fam, but I don’t want more inactive headmins :c
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611819

Arcanemusic wrote:* Faster denial process for shitpost appeals so that the admin team can spend more time on bans that require real attention
It would definitely be good to have the more log-intensive appeals get more attention and expedite headmin intervention on the bans that matter.
Would you consider creating specific guidelines around what constitutes a "shitpost" appeal, to avoid an admin using this policy to speed-decline an appeal that may have merit (but may also be questionably shitposty)? Many players are just absolutely terrible at writing appeals, yet they may very well be in the right.
Spoiler:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #612048

Platform:
I don't believe there's a whole ton of things off the bat that I want to see changed from the server, but that's not to say that there's nothing. From the administrative side I only have a few things that I want to run under:
* Faster denial process for shitpost appeals so that the admin team can spend more time on bans that require real attention
* I want a UNIFORM COLOR SCHEME FOR DISCORD ROLES GOD DAMNIT.
I'll be frank here - this is a very light platform with your lead in being "there's not much that should change" - if you don't think things need to change, why are you running? Why should people pick you over another candidate that's light on policy positions? Not to say there's anything wrong with "a steady hand on the wheel", but if you're taking that stance you have to say what your appeal is over other potential steady hands.

On the specific points that are there:
- Could you define what a shitpost appeal is? Obviously we can all imagine an appeal with very little or no effort put in, but from my experience those aren't overly common nor do they take up an unreasonable amount of admin or headmin time. Further, what would be your process for this? Headmins closing down an appeal before the banning admin has chipped in? Something else?

- Uniform color scheme for discord roles - what's stopping you proposing this to the current headmins, or even MSO? This seems like a hour job at max, so it seems pretty overkill for it to be 50% of your platform.

Regarding your "limited free time", I'd give you some insight as a former headmin - headminning isn't a full time job - but it is something that will need your attention daily. Possibly not for very long, but there'll be very few times when you can afford to just tap out entirely and focus on IRL for a few days - you will get pings several times a day (and especially overnight, depending on your exact timezone) - given you plan to finish education in spring, and that your term would run September to March, I would heavily consider what happens if your education workload ticks up suddenly - bear in mind that without you, the team can deadlock on issues and become the target of ire and ridicule when it takes too long to resolve things.

Thanks for your time in answering these points!
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #612156

Arcanemusic wrote:"Wow, hugbug's running for an election what the fu-" Get your eyes checked.
rent free
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #612904

Ladies and gentlemen, it is with head held high that I must drop out of the running for the Summer/Fall 2021 Headmin Election. After a short period of self-reflection and after getting a really REALLY cool as project as my senior capstone project that I came to the conclusion that I would much rather spend more of my free time working on that than have the chance of being saddled with the additional responsibility of being head admin on top of that. I can't risk spreading myself too thin at this time, but I want to thank everyone for their support and I hope that a few of my points and impressions I left in the debates subforum would help whoever does become head admin elect take the server's direction in a positive place, whatever that may be.

Also I want to thank Arianya being real enough to ask if I would even have the time for this, which put me on track to reconsider doing this for this election cycle, but hey, I may run again in the future.

Thank you everyone!
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY