Mr Melbert - The scary MRP candidate your mom told you about

Resolved.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Mr Melbert - The scary MRP candidate your mom told you about

Post by mrmelbert » #611554

Hello! I'm Melbert.

- I play mainly on Manuel. You may know my as Joey Petunia, Smells-The-Roses, or a number of other flower based static names. I'm a shameless botany main.
- I also very actively admin on Manuel. I'd like to think i'm one of the more active manuel admins currently but I have no statistics to back it up so no point in bragging about it.
- You may also recognize me from the various videos I make on youtube, but I assure you that's not me, but my twin.
- I also code things sometimes. Mostly for botany.

I'm running for headmin as a primarily MRP candidate, as that's my area of expertise, but I intend on playing Sybil more often to get a better feel of the server's local community and culture. (Sorry Terry. I'm not European.)

What will be done for LRP?

> Since I don't normally play on our LRP servers, I definitely don't claim i'm as qualified to make policy affecting them compared to other admins that specialize in that area. As such I'd defer to other headmins and admins when it comes to that area of policy discussion if I were to be elected, as the past term of headmins mostly deferred to MRP specialized admins to develop MRP policy. This will be done though policy bus, of course, as it has proven very successful during the past terms.

What will be done for MRP?

> The past term of headmins have been very responsive in listening to MRP admins for policy and that's been great for developing our roleplay policy going forward. I'd love to continue the current streak of creating a robust set of MRP rules for our servers to follow that's easy to follow and enforce.

> Other candidates have mentioned they wish to give the admin team a bit more leeway on our MRP servers to deal with disruptive players. I think this is a great idea, and I'd also like to move towards that if I were to be elected.

What will be done for all servers?

> As mentioned previously in the LRP section, I'd love the continuation of #policy-bus, so more admins and players themselves have a voice in the future of rules and policy of our server.

> One thing I wanted to do in my prior headmin campaign was to reduce the 'tribalism' between our MRP and LRP community and improve our /tg/station unity as a whole. I've seen all sorts of people get fiercely defensive over their favorite server while berating people who enjoy other server types and I think it's quite lame - friendly banter is one thing, but plain insults is another. I want to move towards a more unified community by encouraging more cross-server events, such as the recent talent show hosted on Basil, and by encouraging admins use #admin-auditorium for announcing when they're hosting interesting events on servers, so people curious can check it out.

Ultimately, my desire is to have one MRP candidate on the headmin trio to allow for quicker and easier policy discussion for roleplay policy, while also not neglecting our primary three servers.

Thank you for considering my thread. Have a morning, evening, or night.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Mr Melbert - The scary MRP candidate your mom told you about

Post by MortoSasye » #611761

Safe pick. I like the fact that the community split between mrp and lrp was adressed in this thread- however I think that fixing such a breach at this moment is quite the task to attempt.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #611762

i would like to vote for you
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611832

mrmelbert wrote:One thing I wanted to do in my prior headmin campaign was to reduce the 'tribalism' between our MRP and LRP community and improve our /tg/station unity as a whole. I've seen all sorts of people get fiercely defensive over their favorite server while berating people who enjoy other server types and I think it's quite lame - friendly banter is one thing, but plain insults is another. I want to move towards a more unified community by encouraging more cross-server events, such as the recent talent show hosted on Basil, and by encouraging admins use #admin-auditorium for announcing when they're hosting interesting events on servers, so people curious can check it out.
Very true. Players end up playing somewhere for a while, acclimating to the server-culture, and then hating another server because it doesn't match what they're used to. Manuel has probably gotten the worst flack simply because MRP is a different game than LRP, so people behave incredibly toxic towards it simply because it is a different style of game which they do not play or understand.

This also exists the other way around, an LRP player may try MRP and be given the cold shoulder for behaviors they picked up from LRP, but ones which they do in good-faith. At the end of the day everyone simply wants to enjoy the game and fit into the cool stories that get made, and tribalism (on both sides) has made this so difficult that players no longer will consider jumping between servers unless they are admins.

I actually have two questions regarding this. The first is simply, how do you plan to reduce the tribalism that exists and making players feel welcome on servers they are not used to? The second is, considering the difference between the server cultures, ahelps can end up as a bit of a "diceroll" based on whether the bwoinking admin is used to one or another of the cultures (or even individual playstyle). For instance, a long-standing player was banned for rule 11 for saying the N-word on Sybil, and quit permanently because of this. Yet on Terry, nanites forced every player to say the N-word with no action taken whatsoever. Obviously this is because the N-word carries more baggage in America than it does in Europe. How do you plan to navigate these culture differences between servers?
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #611833

server banter has existed since before the servers had any notable distinguishing features and nobody will be able to change that
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611867

PKPenguin321 wrote:server banter has existed since before the servers had any notable distinguishing features and nobody will be able to change that
The OP did not claim he wanted to get rid of server banter, the question involves tribalism that creates hostility and hate between servers and, by extension, players.
Spoiler:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #611868

sinfulbliss wrote:Yet on Terry, nanites forced every player to say the N-word with no action taken whatsoever.
I was there for that round, A user was banned and we made a bunch of code changes purely to make it easier for admins to figure out what user to ban and also disable the nanites when things like that happen.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #611881

PKPenguin321 wrote:server banter has existed since before the servers had any notable distinguishing features and nobody will be able to change that
Like sinfulbliss mentioned, I'm fine with bants, but some of the stuff people go to is insane. The events that unfolded following the /tg/ game show come to mind - what was supposed a fun event for the /tg/ community turned into shit flinging between terry players and manuel players and it was sad to see.
sinfulbliss wrote:how do you plan to reduce the tribalism that exists and making players feel welcome on servers they are not used to?
Like I mentioned in my opening post of the thread, I'd like to encourage more cross server events to get people comfortable trying new servers. Maybe they'd bring some of their server friends along to lessen the difficulties of visiting / trying a new server. Stuff like the /tg/ game show and the /tg/ talent show are great examples.

There's also fellow admins I see act fiercely tribalistic of the server they primarily admin and I think that hurts it a lot. Not planning on forcing anyone to go out of their comfort zone to admin other servers, just - less blatant insult throwing, more friendly bants.
sinfulbliss wrote:The second is, considering the difference between the server cultures, ahelps can end up as a bit of a "diceroll" based on whether the bwoinking admin is used to one or another of the cultures (or even individual playstyle)
I don't personally think server culture should determine how rules are enforced, but that's kinda just something that happens and can't be stopped. It's somewhat how naming policy already operates, so there's no easy way to stop it, though consistency would be welcome.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #612065

mrmelbert wrote: > Since I don't normally play on our LRP servers, I definitely don't claim i'm as qualified to make policy affecting them compared to other admins that specialize in that area. As such I'd defer to other headmins and admins when it comes to that area of policy discussion if I were to be elected, as the past term of headmins mostly deferred to MRP specialized admins to develop MRP policy. This will be done though policy bus, of course, as it has proven very successful during the past terms.
While obviously, deferring to headmins or admins with more experience than yourself is laudable, it's worth noting that the three-member headmin team exists to avoid deadlocks - what would be your plan if the two other headmins deadlock on a LRP matter? Or alternatively, if you find yourself vehemently in opposition to a proposed plan for LRP policy/servers/etc.?
mrmelbert wrote: > The past term of headmins have been very responsive in listening to MRP admins for policy and that's been great for developing our roleplay policy going forward. I'd love to continue the current streak of creating a robust set of MRP rules for our servers to follow that's easy to follow and enforce.

> Other candidates have mentioned they wish to give the admin team a bit more leeway on our MRP servers to deal with disruptive players. I think this is a great idea, and I'd also like to move towards that if I were to be elected.
Both positive sentiments, but could I ask what kind of rules you feel are currently missing, or what leeway you'd like to see admins given that they aren't already?
> One thing I wanted to do in my prior headmin campaign was to reduce the 'tribalism' between our MRP and LRP community and improve our /tg/station unity as a whole. I've seen all sorts of people get fiercely defensive over their favorite server while berating people who enjoy other server types and I think it's quite lame - friendly banter is one thing, but plain insults is another. I want to move towards a more unified community by encouraging more cross-server events, such as the recent talent show hosted on Basil, and by encouraging admins use #admin-auditorium for announcing when they're hosting interesting events on servers, so people curious can check it out.
Others have noted that this is an ancient issue - going back to the population cycles that lead to various servers rising or falling from high pop to med pop - further to this, you've positioned yourself as a MRP headadmin in the extreme, even to the point of stating that you'll cede ground to the other two headmins where LRP is concerned - do you not worry this will only increase tribalism as Manuel/Campbell are seen as "distinct" from Terry/Basil/Sybil to the point of having their own headmin?

Additionally, you mention community wide events - I'm sure we're all fairly aware that these take up a huge amount of time and manpower to run - citrusgender does an amazing job given that, would your plan be to tap them (or someone else) to run these things? Or try to organize contributors and admins yourself with a view to running these larger scale events?

Smaller admin events tend to be fairly ad hoc - discounting things like marathon rounds or the like, a lot of the time the admins use a sense of mystery to keep people curious about what exactly is going on, so I wouldn't see announcing these in auditorium to be a foolproof plan - would you move to make it a requirement for admin event rounds, or would it be simply an encouragement?
Ultimately, my desire is to have one MRP candidate on the headmin trio to allow for quicker and easier policy discussion for roleplay policy, while also not neglecting our primary three servers.
Aside from the point raised above about tribalism, do you not feel this drives a wedge into the community at election times? Players and admins both only get one vote each, so ultimately if they have to pick between an "MRP candidate" because they like Manuel/Campbell, or a strong generalist candidate who has views on both LRP and MRP, I feel like you're going to run into issues with getting them to rank you higher as their one headmin of choice.

Would your aim be to make the host vote consistently be a "MRP" headmin? How would you convince your fellow headmins of this aim?

Thanks for taking time to answer these questions.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #612103

Thank you for the excellent questions!
Arianya wrote:...what would be your plan if the two other headmins deadlock on a LRP matter?
While I mentioned I didn't claim to be as qualified as others to discuss LRP policy, I still used to be a primary "LRP" player myself and I believe I still have a modicum of understanding of what the LRP community wants. I'd feel like I'd be able to rule on deadlocks effectively in that case.
Arianya wrote:...if you find yourself vehemently in opposition to a proposed plan for LRP policy/servers/etc.?
I can't imagine any LRP policy or plans that I would have a reason to be extremely opposed to that I'd block it myself. At that point, it would depend on the context / the situation and arguments both parties have.
Arianya wrote:...but could I ask what kind of rules you feel are currently missing, or what leeway you'd like to see admins given that they aren't already?
There are some cases in which a player comes to the MRP servers, breaks no rules, but still disrupts the general community due to behavior that can be seen as "against the idea" of the roleplay server. I want to give the admins on the roleplay servers the backing to chat with and, if the situation requires it, effectively deal with any "problem players" that they feel detrimental to the amount of "roleplay" that's going on. Essentially, giving the admins on MRP the leeway to "bring up" or improve the roleplay aspect of the roleplay server themselves a bit. (Implementing this, of course, needs to be done with caution as to avoid 'roleplay elitism'. It is after all, an MRP server. Not an HRP server.)

Rules wise, I have a few ideas, but off the top of my head: I think the final wording of MRP rule 3 can be expanded to include more than just security & command and split into its own rule.
(Referring to this part of MRP rule 3, for reference: ...This also means that if you're in the chain of command, and especially if you're in Security, you're expected to put in some effort and do your job.)
Arianya wrote:...do you not worry this will only increase tribalism as Manuel/Campbell are seen as "distinct" from Terry/Basil/Sybil to the point of having their own headmin?
The concern did not cross my mind that attempting something like this would 'increase tribalism'. (These aren't hard statistics) But I believe the playerbase between Manuel and Campbell make up anywhere from 33% (When both Terry and Sybil are max pop) to 50% (Late night, Europe) of all our active players (not counting TGMC) at any given moment. While I wouldn't say they're "distinct" enough to have their "own headmin", they run on a separate set of rules that requires a bit finer attention to ensure everyone who's playing there is having a good time.

I'm not necessarily trying to be "THE headmin for MRP servers" - instead, "An MRP player headmin". If I came across that way, I apologize, as it wasn't my intention.
Arianya wrote:...would your plan be to tap them (or someone else) to run these things? Or try to organize contributors and admins yourself with a view to running these larger scale events?
I definitely wouldn't tap / force wonderful community members to run large-scale cross server events (unless they wanted to), and I don't believe all cross-server events need to be large displays like the game show. Otherwise, I definitely would love to chip to help organize / run these sorts of things, even in the small scale. Sacko did a great job with the talent show, and Cimika did a sort of 'cross-all-server' event involving Xenomorphs that I think could be expanded upon or used for inspiration.
Arianya wrote:...would you move to make it a requirement for admin event rounds, or would it be simply an encouragement?
I wouldn't make it a requirement. Just suggesting that a "Hey, i'm hosting *an event* on sybil" or "Hey, I may be doing something on Manuel next round" could give a few interested players the hook they needed to take a visit.
Arianya wrote:...do you not feel this drives a wedge into the community at election times?
It's possible that it's driving some sort of voter wedge, but I wasn't afraid of stealing votes from people per se as a "one trick pony" candidate, thanks to run-off voting. You may very be right about being unable to convince others to rank me as highly compared to other candidates, but ultimately this allowed me to propose concepts and garner attention to the idea, which I will be content with even If I don't succeed. Ultimately, it's up to the players what they want to see.
Arianya wrote:Would your aim be to make the host vote consistently be a "MRP" headmin? How would you convince your fellow headmins of this aim?
That's not my aim for any future terms, and I don't think anyone would be convinced of that currently. Ideally, the term would end with the MRP servers in a very strong position policy wise, admin wise, and community wise such that a sole MRP candidate in the future wouldn't be as desired / needed.

Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #612636

Rules wise, I have a few ideas, but off the top of my head: I think the final wording of MRP rule 3 can be expanded to include more than just security & command and split into its own rule.
(Referring to this part of MRP rule 3, for reference: ...This also means that if you're in the chain of command, and especially if you're in Security, you're expected to put in some effort and do your job.)
Can you explain what you are planning in regards for MRP rule 3, and why you think it is best for the game?

Also, can you explain to us what you believe are the most important parts about being a headmin and what you will focus on in particular?
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master

Post by mrmelbert » #612642

Redrover1760 wrote:Can you explain what you are planning in regards for MRP rule 3, and why you think it is best for the game?
I think this aspect of roleplay rule 3 can be expanded upon and split into its own rule.
This also means that if you're in the chain of command, and especially if you're in Security, you're expected to put in some effort and do your job.
One of the more common complaints I see of the players on the roleplay servers is about people who take certain jobs and either completely neglect what's expected, or even work against their own department in some way. Chemists who only make grenades and no medicine, engineers who immediately leave to space explore. Of course I don't expect everyone to know how to do their job well, or always be doing their job at all times, and antagonists are free to do as they please - but I would like for it to be established for all crew members that they must put some effort into doing what their job is intended to do.

Abuse of position is already covered in Rule 5 of our main rules, but I'd like to stress the "Put some effort into your job" part more. I think it would work well in reducing some of the tiding behaviors on the server.
Redrover1760 wrote:Also, can you explain to us what you believe are the most important parts about being a headmin and what you will focus on in particular?
Keeping the admin team running smoothly, making sure policy / appeals are processed, and ensuring the community is happy, generally, so I'd focus on those.