Live candidate debates!

Resolved.
Sacko
Byond Username: Sacko

Live candidate debates!

Post by Sacko » #612656

Hello democracy fans.

Sticky and I are looking to pull together some headmin debates! Currently I am set up as the moderator also I'm going to be stringing this all together. It will be like the community meetings, it will all take place in a voice call. The only problem here is time zones. Candidates please let me know when you could do a debate in GMT and we will try to see if we can put together a time when people are awake and not working. Current idea is to pull questions straight from the forums in 15 minute segments. We will go around the table and allow everyone to speak their mind. It will be a good way for canidates to make an impression and get prepped for the community meetings role. I was also thinking that we could take some audience questions that would be neat. Let me know what you think about the format and again what time it should be held. Peace!
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Live candidate debates!

Post by Armhulen » #612677

i can count the amount of people who have mics and would dare on one hand. And heck at best I'm using around half the fingers at that hand's disposal.

don't forget that the people who would bother joining a call for debate night have no chance of winning
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #612678

Armhulen wrote:i can count the amount of people who have mics and would dare on one hand. And heck at best I'm using around half the fingers at that hand's disposal.

don't forget that the people who would bother joining a call for debate night have no chance of winning
You may be right my friend. It's a shot in the dark but we will see what will come of it. Don'tchaknow. Anyways while I have you what time would best fit you for the debates my friend?
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #612719

While I also doubt the feasibility of this, every headmin candidate needs to keep in mind that they'll be expected to host a multiple-hour voice chat-based community meeting at some point during their term.

Headmin isn't a job for the microphone-averse.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #612721

If you can't advocate for your policies in real time how are you going to do it in practice?
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #612728

Carefully, in a methodical, consistent fashion as opposed to being thrown on a podium arguing with a British person?
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #612729

I'm down.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #612730

Armhulen wrote:i can count the amount of people who have mics and would dare on one hand. And heck at best I'm using around half the fingers at that hand's disposal.

We can hook them up with TTS
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #612744

capn_monkeypaw wrote:While I also doubt the feasibility of this, every headmin candidate needs to keep in mind that they'll be expected to host a multiple-hour voice chat-based community meeting at some point during their term.

Headmin isn't a job for the microphone-averse.
Pray tell who exactly is expecting this?
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #612751

oranges wrote:Pray tell who exactly is expecting this?
Hasn't a voice-chat community meeting happened during each of the last eight terms? (e: Maybe not this last term? I can't remember.)
[youtube]PR-2-uHCi4s[/youtube]
[youtube]x1z44EeFpug[/youtube]
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #612774

it's not going to happen, it's been proposed like 5 times and I with people who don't talk as candidates: it's a bit much to ask them

not against it but every time it's been proposed it's fallen through
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #612794

Candidate debates showcase quick wit & tip-of-toes thinking.

While fun, also irrelevant to headmin day-to-day when it comes to policy & housekeeping.

Value headmin candidate ability to stop. Critically analyse. Think. Respond. Ability to talk to others, research, gather information. Make informed choice.

Above skillset different to live debate skills.

May join via peer pressure if enough other candidates were signed up, but feel debate lacking chance to stop, think, research etc. good for little except novelty fun factor.

Have spoken in voice publicly last headmin election results day. Nothing to personally prove beyond that.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #612798

DAMN STICKY AND I HAD A CRAZY DEBATE...
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #612800

ME: "Arm could you please explain to me how you are not the puppy in the living room that you just came home to that tore up the couch and also pooped in the center of the room"
Arm: "NikNak I am the puppy that is good" or something i don't remember but he refuted
Sticky: "Arm you are definitely the puppy in the window that sulks as we drive away or something

Worst Live debate ever
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #612804

NikNakFlak wrote:ME: "Arm could you please explain to me how you are not the puppy in the living room that you just came home to that tore up the couch and also pooped in the center of the room"
Arm: "NikNak I am the puppy that is good" or something i don't remember but he refuted
Sticky: "Arm you are definitely the puppy in the window that sulks as we drive away or something

Worst Live debate ever
Arm: "NikNak I am the puppy that is in the window of the store that has a little cute bed on the window"

And you know what niknak it's a song reference which makes it a pretty good refutal so i don't wanna hear this PUBLIC. GRUDGEWANKING.
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #612819

Uhh it looks like the responses on feasibility and practicality are all over the place here. If we are going to do it it should be this weekend. I'll organize a chat with all the candidates so we can get a feel for who wants to, who can, and what time is best for everyone.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #612821

Timberpoes wrote:Candidate debates showcase quick wit & tip-of-toes thinking.

While fun, also irrelevant to headmin day-to-day when it comes to policy & housekeeping.

Value headmin candidate ability to stop. Critically analyse. Think. Respond. Ability to talk to others, research, gather information. Make informed choice.

Above skillset different to live debate skills.
This is a particularly insightful comment.
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #612891

Ok,

Polling opens this Monday! Keith, Sticky, and Goof are down for sure I know. I am thinking we could hold the debates on discord around 10 am CST which would make it 3pm GMT which is very reasonable. If we want to do it before polls start it would have to be Sunday but there wouldn't be any shame pushing it back a couple of days. All the pollsters claim the debates don't change voter opinion anyways so we could have em after the elecion if we wanted to be real Tongue in cheek about it all. Anyways if you want to go toe to toe in the flaming cage of democracy now is the time to step forward.

Peace.
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #612922

NEWS BULLETIN

we are moving the debate back by 2 hours from 10:00am,CST to 12:00PM,CST and 3:00PM,GMTto5:00PM,GMT. Hopefully this time will work for everyone ya?
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #612981

news bulletin!!
I took a nap and didn't set an alarm however it's still a reasonable time for debates. Get into the VC named debate channel. We have 7 yeses and we will probably have like 10 or so questions. Very nice.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #612982

chupacabrans suck sheep blood, sticky. and they eat people.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #612988

THANK YOU FOR MODERATING SACKO

THANK YOU FOR HOSTING AND ORGANISING WAS REAL FUN

LOVE YOU
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #613037

[youtube]EZ4qbTSz528[/youtube]

THANKS FOR RECORDING BOOKTOWER