Help us help you: Only YOU can stop no admins on time 4 grif

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Help us help you: Only YOU can stop no admins on time 4 grif

Post by bandit » #299516

Look, so, we're aware that there is currently a bit of a problem with admin coverage. Part of that might go away as we leave finals week. But in the meantime, here are some ways to increase the chance that your report gets answered.

Step 1: If you're adminhelping something that goes to IRC, be even more specific than usual.
"Was that valid?" is a bad adminhelp in regular cases. It's even worse if it's going to IRC, because now the admins in question have zero context whatsoever. We have tools from IRC to do some investigation, but the ones in game are obviously much better. Sending names is of course always recommended, but even more important is full context of what exactly happened, what led up to it, etc. There's no need to send a novel but you should probably send more than a haiku.

Step 2: If you're planning to tell admins about conflict after round's end, maybe wait a day or two.
This doesn't go, obviously, for clear-cut griff like a serial murderboner who turns out to be not an antag. But 75% of the adminhelps we get are not about clear-cut griff but about IC conflicts where both players were in the right and in the wrong equally and nothing really rises to the point of being banworthy. It's easy to be salty about these right after they happen but this salt tends to go away in many cases after a couple hours. If it does, then there's no need to make a big deal of it.

Step 3: Dear sweet jesus take note of the round number.
You may or may not have noticed that "Round Number" or "Round ID" shows up on the Status tab. While this means nothing to you, it means everything in terms of how rounds are logged. Previously, admins could look up full logs for a given day. Now, admins have this:

Without the round number, admins have to painstakingly go through and figure out which of these rounds -- the picture is only a small fraction -- corresponds to your griff. And each of these rounds is further split into say logs, attack logs, etc. Obviously, having a round number will make this far easier and far less likely to make admins want to feed themselves to the gibber. Unless the coders decide to fix this, which, they've known about this for several weeks now, this is what you're going to have to do.

Step 4: Just because they don't get permabanned doesn't mean nothing happens.
Not everything merits an immediate ban. Sometimes it just merits a note. Sometimes it just means we talk to them and tell them to cut that shit out. Sometimes it means we make a mental note to watch that person more closely. We can't do any of this, obviously, without reports (we do have tools to notice some shit and/or griffy behavior as it happens, but they can't catch anything.) But those reports are not always public and in some cases, like suspected metacomms, really can't be public.

Other admins are free to weigh in with their own suggestions.
Last edited by bandit on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Help us help you: Only YOU can stop no admins on time 4

Post by Qbopper » #299568

I just really, REALLY want to reinforce point 1:

PLEASE AHELP PROBLEMS AND PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILS IN THE AHELP

We don't see 99% of things that happen in a given round, and we almost certainly did not see the clown toolbox you and space your corpse. If you do ahelp, but it's just something like "wew", "fuck", "is that valid", or whatever (those are all ahelps I see consistently), that doesn't give me anything to go off of.
Limey wrote:its too late.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #299578

Round number should show in log at the beginning and end of a round. Maybe even in log filename.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Limey
Byond Username: Limed00d

Post by Limey » #299627

Can't say I'm a fan of logging per round instead of per day but I can see how it in turn makes it easier to track down a specific incident.
Usually plays as Aya Shameimaru, Remilia Scarlet or Rumia Kuroda depending.
Spoiler:
NSFW:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #299662

Limey wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of logging per round instead of per day but I can see how it in turn makes it easier to track down a specific incident.
honestly it really doesn't, it was easier beforehand when we could just ctrl+f the entire day of logs to find roughly where what happened happened, but this is way more difficult to deal with and I'm unsure of what the benefit is
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #299667

Quicker to download, easier to search when you know what file you're looking for
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Limey
Byond Username: Limed00d

Post by Limey » #299672

Shaps-cloud wrote:
Limey wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of logging per round instead of per day but I can see how it in turn makes it easier to track down a specific incident.
honestly it really doesn't, it was easier beforehand when we could just ctrl+f the entire day of logs to find roughly where what happened happened, but this is way more difficult to deal with and I'm unsure of what the benefit is
Ah, okay. I'm only used to daylogging so I can't say for certain which is best.
Usually plays as Aya Shameimaru, Remilia Scarlet or Rumia Kuroda depending.
Spoiler:
NSFW:
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #299708

Shaps-cloud wrote:
The benefit of this is mainly having the investigate logs saving, instead of being deleted every new round.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #299724

lzimann wrote:
Shaps-cloud wrote:
The benefit of this is mainly having the investigate logs saving, instead of being deleted every new round.
Can't we have it save like main logs, but have it separated by round by a clear line of text stating when rounds restart? It seems better imo.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #299734

Round number made log diving useless.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #299751

the point is, it won't be useless if we hammer into the player's skulls to
REPORT THE ROUND NUMBER WITH POST-ROUND REPORTS
:honkman: :honkman: :honkman:
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #299882

yeah so you can continue to do nothing
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #300023

Make me an admin a year from now, then Ill have a life to waste.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #304497

Since these are text files wouldn't it be handy to be download in bulk and merge? Or just use grep/notepad++ find in files or something