Trialmin Review: MrAlphonzo

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Trialmin Review: MrAlphonzo

Post by Arianya » #444899

MrAlphonzo has now been in the .txt as a Trial Admin for roughly a month since their last review.

Please use this thread as public review; it's encouraged for players to comment on how well/badly the trial admin has done and whether or not they think the trial admin should be made a full admin, if they should be removed from the .txt or if their promotion should be delayed.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Trialmin Review: MrAlphonzo

Post by Arianya » #444900

For reference, while obviously anyone can comment, I think its fair to say the headmins are most interested in how Alphonzo has behaved since their last review. Please if possible note whether your commentary is regarding your overall impression of them or recent behaviour.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #444905

Have fun working with him. Seems to have a good grasp of the rules, and is very eager to share what hes learned with me. This is what Ive observed recently.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #444907

He's been in adminbus less which is a big improvement
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #444962

Same as last thread with the bonus of seeing the feedback considered from the last review.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #444985

Still plays too many midis IMO. You should do like 1-2 a round, not back to back nonstop midis for a whole round with no theme or reason.
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #445002

subject217 wrote:Still plays too many midis IMO. You should do like 1-2 a round, not back to back nonstop midis for a whole round with no theme or reason.
Let's see what statbus has to say.

22 sounds over the last 12 days.
1.83 sounds a day.

Oh the horror.
The agony!

Let's take this a little bit further.
Upon inspecting every single sound for the month of October so far you make several discoveries.
I played the Mexican Hat Dance one single time, and that appears to be the only thing that could be considered a "joke/meme sound"

But let's go even further.
The small selection of songs that has been played consist of
The Nier Automata Soundtrack, specifically tracks for the boss fights, for those more dramatic moments!
The relaxed sections of the Persona 5 soundtrack, and other miscellaneous jazz tracks, which I typically play during calm moments on the station.
And how could I forget, my two patriotic America-themed songs for a small FREEDOM event.

Is it just me, or is there a blatantly obvious consistent theme visible to the naked eye?
Really gets the neurons firing.

And just for the sake of dragging you through the mud even more, let's calculate the rate with my connections as well, since one could say I have not come online 2 out of the 12 days of October.
54 connections this month so far.
0.407 played sounds per connection.

Now that REALLY gets the neurons firing.
Last edited by MrAlphonzo on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #445004

out of all the admins he's definitely the most defensive and determined to protect his reputation which is very admirable
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #445021

MrAlphonzo wrote:empty quote
I'm not saying that you're playing bad sounds, I'm saying you should play less of them in an individual round, especially when the reason is just because you felt like playing music. This is based on one individual round I saw just yesterday, where it was basically DJ Alphonzo for the entire round. I thought about bringing this up to you then but you have a track record of responding to honest feedback with a high degree of defensiveness and hostility, which I can see is still holding true.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #445023

subject217 wrote:
MrAlphonzo wrote:empty quote
I'm not saying that you're playing bad sounds, I'm saying you should play less of them in an individual round, especially when the reason is just because you felt like playing music. This is based on one individual round I saw just yesterday, where it was basically DJ Alphonzo for the entire round. I thought about bringing this up to you then but you have a track record of responding to honest feedback with a high degree of defensiveness and hostility, which I can see is still holding true.
He has at least toned it down/quit chaining them, so that's solid.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #445061

Spoiler:
MrAlphonzo wrote:
subject217 wrote:Still plays too many midis IMO. You should do like 1-2 a round, not back to back nonstop midis for a whole round with no theme or reason.
Let's see what statbus has to say.

22 sounds over the last 12 days.
1.83 sounds a day.

Oh the horror.
The agony!

Let's take this a little bit further.
Upon inspecting every single sound for the month of October so far you make several discoveries.
I played the Mexican Hat Dance one single time, and that appears to be the only thing that could be considered a "joke/meme sound"

But let's go even further.
The small selection of songs that has been played consist of
The Nier Automata Soundtrack, specifically tracks for the boss fights, for those more dramatic moments!
The relaxed sections of the Persona 5 soundtrack, and other miscellaneous jazz tracks, which I typically play during calm moments on the station.
And how could I forget, my two patriotic America-themed songs for a small FREEDOM event.

Is it just me, or is there a blatantly obvious consistent theme visible to the naked eye?
Really gets the neurons firing.

And just for the sake of dragging you through the mud even more, let's calculate the rate with my connections as well, since one could say I have not come online 2 out of the 12 days of October.
54 connections this month so far.
0.407 played sounds per connection.

Now that REALLY gets the neurons firing.
I think Alphonzo is being painted in a bad light by subject here. Alphonzo definitely is being passive aggressive in his replies but he's been consistently shit on for sound spam yet seems to have really toned it down, so much so that he pulls out the exact stats and number of sounds he's played. Sound spam isn't a big issue. I played quite a lot of sounds when I was a trialmin, so did kevinz, and probably a few other admins. We even had to take +SOUND away from an existing game admin (was it kevinz?) for sound spam and then they got it back. Sound spam is an issue but shitting on Alphonzo and citing only one single round of DJ alphonzo when he already pulled stats shows more of a bad faith argument than actual criticism to me.

Why is anyone focusing on sounds when it's not even something admins are given actual punishment over. The flag is simply taken away from admins who can't handle it and Alphonzo seems to have taken the criticism. You probably get such a bad rep for it Al because of the previous misuse; any kind of use period gives people red flags, even if the usage wouldn't be considered abuse now. I'd like to see more focus on things that matter more like rulings, bans, admin pm etiquette and attitude. I pretty much only see Majikarp and Kang Tut on nowadays so I can't give my personal take on Alphonzo but I feel as if the sound usage is being misrepresented and doesn't even matter as much as other things.
elyina
Byond Username: Elyina

Post by elyina » #445071

Just promote him already, who cares about the sounds, it's such a minor thing it's not even worth bringing up here. He's demonstrated a good understanding of the rules and how to enforce them. If the biggest complaint about him is sounds, then I think that's a pretty strong point towards promoting him.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #445073

no the biggest criticism against him is that he's a nightmare to talk to who can't accept criticism with any sort of grace and argues by misrepresenting other people and attempting to make them look bad, and the fact that this guy is on the team while a certain other person is shunned is a fucking embarrassment

But this was all hashed out in the previous thread, Ari said she's not interested in previous opinions she only wants freshly baked ones so please pretend my above line doesn't exist for the sake of a pleasant and readable new review thread.
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #445102

NikNakFlak wrote:Sound spam is an issue but shitting on Alphonzo and citing only one single round of DJ alphonzo when he already pulled stats shows more of a bad faith argument than actual criticism to me.
I bring it up as feedback, not as some sort of attempt to get him deadminned. I think Alphonzo's attitude towards feedback speaks for itself independent of this particular feedback, but that being said I can understand why he would be defensive about it given his history.

Regarding the total sound stats, I agree that he has improved considerably compared to how he used to be, however I still believe back-to-back unrelated sounds for an entire round is not a great thing to be doing, and it disappointed me to see him doing it.

[quote="STP in "what is expected of the admins""]Don't spam sounds and events. If you're queuing sounds one after the other, or if you're running an event every day, you're doing it too often.[/quote]

People seem to treat trialmin reviews like the only reason you'd post any sort of feedback in them is to try and get someone deadminned. I don't believe in this and I'd appreciate it if you didn't color my intent.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #445103

I didn't say deadmin what I'm not gonna stop doing anything
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #445114

I don't see how it's shitting on Alphonzo or a bad faith argument. Particularly the term argument seems to imply that you think I am arguing to get him deadminned, to me. I can see why it would upset Alphonzo removed from context, which is why I provided the context, and now it stands on its' own.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin

Post by NikNakFlak » #445118

Assume and imply all you want I guess, that doesn't make it true
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #445264

still thinks he hasn't done anything wrong on haku and is avoiding the subject

do not promote
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #445309

oranges wrote:still thinks he hasn't done anything wrong on haku and is avoiding the subject

do not promote
Spoiler:
After repeatedly telling you that I already wrote a long-winded apology for letting personal experiences affect a judgement, I figured I'd give Spanish a shot, since everything else was falling upon deaf ears during your drunken tirade.

Good try, though.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #445335

MrAlphonzo wrote:I figured I'd give Spanish a shot, since everything else was falling upon deaf ears during your drunken tirade.
yeah, deadmin MrAlphonzo.

I don't like Spanish. Should've done it in Russian, dude.
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #445337

equivocada means "wrong" but it's also exclusively for females -> alphonzo is a girl
do not promote
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #445340

*Laughs in midi*
I think you mean play several every minute of every hour
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #445440

MrAlphonzo wrote:
oranges wrote:still thinks he hasn't done anything wrong on haku and is avoiding the subject

do not promote
Spoiler:
After repeatedly telling you that I already wrote a long-winded apology for letting personal experiences affect a judgement, I figured I'd give Spanish a shot, since everything else was falling upon deaf ears during your drunken tirade.

Good try, though.
spin it all you want, it's obvious you don't believe you did anything wrong at all.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #447481

Our concerns with Alphonzo doing too many midis have gone away since his last review.
He’s still pretty stubborn at times, but he makes up for it with good rulings and judgments as an admin.
Promoted.