Trialmin Review: Kangtut

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Trialmin Review: Kangtut

Post by Arianya » #453858

Kangtut has now been in the .txt as a Trial Admin for roughly two months.

Please use this thread as public review; it's encouraged for players to comment on how well/badly the trial admin has done and whether or not they think the trial admin should be made a full admin, if they should be removed from the .txt or if their promotion should be delayed.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Trialmin Review: Kangtut

Post by subject217 » #453864

has a great collection of title screen memes. isn't afraid to ban people when needed, which is a good thing as long as you're right.
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #453879

Good bloke, goodmin.

Always answers ahelps quickly but they never feel rushed. Takes the time to explain his reasoning for taking/not taking X action in the ticket as well, which I find very helpful.
See him work the graveyard shift often, which is great because admin oversight during this time is really important (instances of players trying to get away with bad behaviour during low-pop hours seem to have gone down).

Also does funny gimmicks and tends to answer prayers often. It's nice because sometimes rounds are slow or dry, so a little spontaneity can make things more interesting.

I think he should be promoted. He works very hard and doesn't shy away from handling situations that from a player's POV, seem like a pain in the arse to deal with.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #453882

Havent had alot of chances to admins with him, but from what I’ve seen is a solid admin. Fair in ahelps and knows what hes doing. Promote
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #453898

seems very quick to ban from what I've seen
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #454025

BeeSting12 wrote:I don't like their attitude. I think there's cases where he should've shown more leniency but instead he went too far on the harsh side.

This is probably the best example of that:
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19896 (Spankmaster/Toronto88's ban appeal for detonating an antimatter in a main hallway)

Spankmaster immediately adminhelped, making KangTut aware of the situation. He apologized and said it was an accident. I see this happen once in a while where someone does something that causes a good amount of station damage by mistake and immediately apologizes for it. I never ban those people, occasionally I'll note them, but they're mostly good players who make a destructive mistake.

I can't really blame KangTut for banning him since he was just told by Arianya to be harsher, but he needs to learn the nuances of that sort of thing before going crazy on the harshness. It's just a dayban, but it left a bad taste in my mouth to see someone who had an obvious accident to get banned over it, especially when the antimatter is only seen once in a hundred rounds and is poorly sprited/not intuitive.

When I talked with him about it, I got the impression he had a "ban the shitters" type of attitude rather than an attitude more oriented toward helping them understand their mistake and improve from it. He said something about them having an incident with kudzu earlier in the day and that makes a pattern. Uh, no, two unrelated things don't make a pattern. Sometimes people mess up twice in a day.
Interesting post on their feedback made almost a month ago, I'm curious if this is still applicable.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #454089

<obligatory salt from assistant mains about KangTut's in game conduct as security>

he's very active and great to admin with. he's quicker than most admins to bring down the hammer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and definitely worked out for the better in lots of cases. Solid addition to the team.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #454094

A pretty decent admin with a good head. Also does (small) late-night memes. I say promote.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #454120

Cobby wrote:Interesting post on their feedback made almost a month ago, I'm curious if this is still applicable.
for what it's worth i've talked to him several times about this and i believe that he understands what he did wrong here now
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Post by Kangtut » #454132

Interesting post on their feedback made almost a month ago, I'm curious if this is still applicable.
Yeah I do feel bad about that ban. I went too hard on it after being told I was too lenient with another ban and thought that they mean that all of my decisions were too lenient. That was wrong. I'm trying to do better regarding situations like that one.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #454198

I haven't seen any more appeals for bans like that, meaning he either improved or no one has cared enough to appeal an overly harsh ban.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
elyina
Byond Username: Elyina

Post by elyina » #454351

I have adminned with kangtut quite a bit. He's a good guy and a hard working admin. Has good judgement and is active in asay, he will always ask about things he isn't sure about and provide his info or his view on tickets other admins are handling. As others already mentioned, he's not afraid to put his foot down if he needs to. Definitely promote.
KillToSurvive
Byond Username: KillToSurvive

Post by KillToSurvive » #454679

Great admin that puts a lot of time and effort into moderating, deserves a promotion.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #454814

hello yes i'd like to order a potato with a side of tot

oh yeah i guess kang is pretty good, do i get an antag token now?
granpawalton
Byond Username: Granpawalton

Post by granpawalton » #455113

Ive only had good interactions with Kangtut as a player and an admin, only con to him admining is it means less games where he is HoS
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #455313

Wins a prize for most likely to be ahelped when playing. Few of them actually make it to needing his side of the story.
MrDoomBringer
Byond Username: MrDoomBringer

Post by MrDoomBringer » #455569

Based on my limited experiences, he seems like the kind of min who can law down the law without being a chumbis about it, which can be hard to do sometimes. He's got my approval :reallyhappy:
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #455805

We've decided to extend your trial period for one month.
About a month ago, you had a variety of problems as an admin. Several somewhat questionable ban appeals later and we're left wondering where exactly you are as an administrator, in terms of policy and enforcement.
You've jumped, at times, between strictness and leniency, leading us to wondering what can be expected of you as an admin. You've had a great deal of improvement in the past month with these sorts of issues, but a month of problems and a month of improvement does not equal complete confidence in ability.
If you continue your current trend of improvement from the issues that your first month saw, you will be fine. What we're looking for with this extension is a confidence that you'll continue to act with the lessons from past mistakes in mind.