Update to rule 1.

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Moderator: In-Game Head Admins

User avatar
MortoSasye
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Update to rule 1.

Postby MortoSasye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:18 am #517538

Hello guys!


A new update has been made to our current rule 1 to make it clearer regarding what is and what is not allowed. This is with the purpose to avoid further issues regarding this for players, so hopefully the number of incidences about this will lower.


The rule 1 will be edited to the following:

1. Don’t be a dick.
We're all here to have a good time, supposedly. Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules, this also includes harassing a player OOC (Out of character). Legitimate conflicts where people get upset do happen however, as detailed in the escalation section of the rules.


And this precedent will be added:

8. Starting a fight in OOC/Dead chat or harassing someone across multiple rounds after being informed to stop by an admin may end in a server ban. Conflicts are something that happen, but going out of your way to repeatedly do this will not be tolerated.


You can see a side by side comparison in the attachment on this thread, but in case the image isn't visible, it's the following:

Outdated rule:

1. Don't be a dick.

We're all here to have a good time supposedly. Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules. Legitimate conflicts where people get upset do happen however, as detailed in the escalation section of the rules.


New rule:

1. Don’t be a dick.
We're all here to have a good time, supposedly. Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules, this also includes harassing a player OOC (Out of character). Legitimate conflicts where people get upset do happen however, as detailed in the escalation section of the rules.



If you have any questions regarding this, please ask them below!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new poll has been made regarding the changes made to our rule 1 wording.

Please make sure to vote in the one labelled as ***Please vote in this poll*** and not the other one which was made as multichoice accidentally.
Attachments
sidebyside.png
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
Image
NSFW:
Image



User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nervere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:19 am #517540

What caused this?

User avatar
Tivianne
 
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 4:36 am
Byond Username: Tivianne

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Tivianne » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:21 am #517541

lol

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nalzul » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:22 am #517542

lmao how is dchat/ooc salt real just put them on your ignore list

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Malkraz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 am #517543

ok but define "a fight"
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you

User avatar
teepeepee
 
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21 am
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby teepeepee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 am #517544

I'm gonna say the t-word

User avatar
MortoSasye
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby MortoSasye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:29 am #517545

Nervere wrote:What caused this?


A recent influx of players harassing other people on this community to the point in which it gets out of hand and they justify it as it being normal. One example I can give now is the following: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24151

Malkraz wrote:ok but define "a fight"


A verbal fight that has become too heated (Insults are being thrown, people are being told to suicide and personal hostile remarks are being told to the other party). Admins will first ask the participants to cease and go cool down, so there should be no worries for unexpected bans.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
Image
NSFW:
Image

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nervere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:31 am #517546

Why didn't you consult the community before changing the rules?
Why do you think this wasn't already covered by rule 1? This is just giving more power to sensitive retards.

ATHATH
 
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 am
Byond Username: ATHATH

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby ATHATH » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 am #517547

Malkraz wrote:ok but define "a fight"

This.

Am I gonna get bwoinked for salting at someone in OOC chat with a pre-typed paragraph of text expressing my bafflement at the awfulness of/sheer incompetency shown by their decisions over the course of the round after the round ends, for example?

EDIT: Ah, I got ninja'd by Morto. Never mind.
Last edited by ATHATH on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nalzul » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 am #517548

MortoSasye wrote:
Nervere wrote:What caused this?

A recent influx of players harassing other people on this community to the point in which it gets out of hand and they justify it as it being normal. One example I can give now is the following: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24151



If he was already banned for this under rule 1 and not rule 0 what's the purpose of adding it?

User avatar
MortoSasye
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby MortoSasye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:35 am #517549

Nervere wrote:Why didn't you consult the community before changing the rules?
Why do you think this wasn't already covered by rule 1? This is just giving more power to sensitive retards.


1. Because it doesn't affect on a large scale how things are currently handled. It just makes what isn't allowed more clear.

2. It was covered, but it wasn't clear enough which lead to people being banned because they thought harassment was ok.

Nalzul wrote:
MortoSasye wrote:
Nervere wrote:What caused this?

A recent influx of players harassing other people on this community to the point in which it gets out of hand and they justify it as it being normal. One example I can give now is the following: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24151



If he was already banned for this under rule 1 and not rule 0 what's the purpose of adding it?


That's an example of a player that thought harassment was fine, which inspired me again to update this rule to make it more clear it isn't allowed.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
Image
NSFW:
Image

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nervere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:37 am #517551

Did you consider, when making this rule, that players have access to an "Ignore" verb, that hides someone's OOC and deadchat speech?

Looks like our concerns already aren't being taken seriously, though, not sure why I'm even bothering.
Image

User avatar
MortoSasye
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby MortoSasye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 am #517552

Nervere wrote:Did you consider, when making this rule, that players have access to an "Ignore" verb, that hides someone's OOC and deadchat speech?

Looks like our concerns already aren't being taken seriously, though, not sure why I'm even bothering.
Image


I'm aware of it because I had to use it during months when someone was harassing me because admins did nothing about it when I was a player. This was about a year ago.

Enabling this sort of behavior from someone just because they can be blocked is extremely dumb.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
Image
NSFW:
Image

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nervere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:46 am #517553

How did the harassment continue after you could no longer see their deadchat and OOC messages?

User avatar
High Impact Dolphin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 pm
Byond Username: High Impact Dolphin

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby High Impact Dolphin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:48 am #517554

Nervere wrote:Why didn't you consult the community before changing the rules?

because no one would support it, much easier to just do it and brush aside any complaints

what a slippery slope, i cant wait for the day that "ligger" gets banned from ic
Image
Image

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nalzul » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:52 am #517555

MortoSasye wrote:
Nalzul wrote:
MortoSasye wrote:
Nervere wrote:What caused this?

A recent influx of players harassing other people on this community to the point in which it gets out of hand and they justify it as it being normal. One example I can give now is the following: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24151



If he was already banned for this under rule 1 and not rule 0 what's the purpose of adding it?


That's an example of a player that thought harassment was fine, which inspired me again to update this rule to make it more clear it isn't allowed.


If they can't grasp their brain on rule 1 and existing precedent how is an addendum going to change that though? We have rules in place that have punished harassment in the past, just not the admins themselves that apply it when needed to.
Last edited by Nalzul on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MortoSasye
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby MortoSasye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:53 am #517556

Nervere wrote:How did the harassment continue after you could no longer see their deadchat and OOC messages?


Other people started targetting me too due to me not being able to defend myself when they decided to start attacking me. This isn't a story about me, however, but regarding this update.

Nalzul wrote:If they can't grasp their brain on rule 1 and existing precedent how is an addendum going to change that though? We have rules in place that already that punished harassment in the past, just not the admins themselves that apply it when needed to.


For new players that are coming to the game, they may not be aware of how things are handled with how often harassment is displayed on this community.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
Image
NSFW:
Image

User avatar
High Impact Dolphin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 pm
Byond Username: High Impact Dolphin

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby High Impact Dolphin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:56 am #517557

MortoSasye wrote:This isn't a story about me

how many other players have voiced concerns about being harassed in dchat/ooc? not players that you think have been harassed, but players that have actually made some kind of complaint about it
Image
Image

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nervere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:57 am #517558

MortoSasye wrote:Other people started targetting me too due to me not being able to defend myself when they decided to start attacking me. This isn't a story about me, however, but regarding this update.

This is already covered under rule 1, though. How would your new rule do anything different? Rule 1 covers harassment...

User avatar
MortoSasye
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby MortoSasye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:09 am #517559

High Impact Dolphin wrote:
MortoSasye wrote:This isn't a story about me

how many other players have voiced concerns about being harassed in dchat/ooc? not players that you think have been harassed, but players that have actually made some kind of complaint about it


We had approximately around 5-6 players that have made complaints regarding it, and one that always gets picked on by some people. I won't say names to protect their privacy though.

Nervere wrote:
MortoSasye wrote:Other people started targetting me too due to me not being able to defend myself when they decided to start attacking me. This isn't a story about me, however, but regarding this update.

This is already covered under rule 1, though. How would your new rule do anything different? Rule 1 covers harassment...


It isn't supposed to do anything massively different but more clearly define how we handle rule 1 for people that haven't understood this yet.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
Image
NSFW:
Image

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby TheMythicGhost » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:11 am #517560

This is setting a dangerous precedent to be misused by sensitive members of the community maliciously.
Edit: Also, tools already do exist to block user interaction in OOC. OOC -> Ignore -> Select Userhere. If this happened unprovoked over multiple rounds in character, I can see action being taken (which it usually is as it falls under the rule covering metagrudging at that point). This is just a useless addendum, no offense.
Last edited by TheMythicGhost on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nervere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:12 am #517561

Going back to this quote, ignoring community input by saying...
MortoSasye wrote:1. Because it doesn't affect on a large scale how things are currently handled. It just makes what isn't allowed more clear.


... is a total copout. This decision clearly is already controversial, and even just making a policy discussion would have helped. Totally ignoring the community. Not to mention, this was clearly rushed through. The Dootdoom ban was really recent, and its being cited as justification for this rule. Now we already have this change? Seriously, just TALK to the community before you do stuff like this. Give it time!
This change is a bad idea and is the first step to leading /tg/ down a worse path.

MortoSasye wrote:It isn't supposed to do anything massively different but more clearly define how we handle rule 1 for people that haven't understood this yet.

I'm sorry, but if someone is too braindead to report their own harassment, this rule won't change anything to fix that.

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nalzul » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:13 am #517562

MortoSasye wrote:
Nalzul wrote:If they can't grasp their brain on rule 1 and existing precedent how is an addendum going to change that though? We have rules in place that already that punished harassment in the past, just not the admins themselves that apply it when needed to.


For new players that are coming to the game, they may not be aware of how things are handled with how often harassment is displayed on this community.


If it's intended for actual new players most aren't going to bother reading the rules in the first place until they get bwoinked for breaking them. With most new players if they try to start shit (I've adminned on event hall long enough to understand) it's mostly in the form of copy-pasta hit and runs or salting that they were killed, when actual malicious conduct goes on they get swatted down easily under the previous rule 1.

User avatar
MortoSasye
 
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby MortoSasye » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:16 am #517563

TheMythicGhost wrote:This is setting a dangerous precedent to be misused by sensitive members of the community maliciously.


It will be up to admin discretion and if it's abused a headmin can always step in to overrule it.

Nervere wrote:Going back to this quote, ignoring community input by saying...
MortoSasye wrote:1. Because it doesn't affect on a large scale how things are currently handled. It just makes what isn't allowed more clear.



... is a total copout. This decision clearly is already controversial, and even just making a policy discussion would have helped. Totally ignoring the community. Not to mention, this was clearly rushed through. The Dootdoom ban was really recent, and its being cited as justification for this rule. Now we already have this change? Seriously, just TALK to the community before you do stuff like this. Give it time!
This change is a bad idea and is the first step to leading /tg/ down a worse path.


I mentioned this during my candidacy thread, it wasn't a rushed decision at all, it was also discussed by me with the other head admins which is how the way it gets handled got changed from dead chat / ooc mute bans and I also discussed this with the admin team. However, I do recognize my fault in not asking for input first perhaps via vote since even when I see it as not necessary due to it just being a clarification, it may not seem the case to other people.

I also don't see how avoiding harassment is leading tg down a worse path, but that's off-topic.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
Image
NSFW:
Image

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Nervere » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:28 am #517565

Thank you for agreeing that the community should have been addressed, but:
MortoSasye wrote:I also don't see how avoiding harassment is leading tg down a worse path, but that's off-topic.

This is fundamentally misunderstanding what I'm saying. Your rule is NOT avoiding harassment.
Harassment is already covered by rule 1. Your argument is that it will make players more aware that they can report harassment, but that's silly.
I cannot imagine a player so braindead that they could not press F1 and report a rule infraction. That's insane.
If they could not do that, why would this precedent help them? Let's be honest, no one reads precedents until an admin needs to pull a reason to ban someone. No reasonable person reads an entire essay full of rules, like what our current page looks like.

You need to understand that this rule does not achieve its intended effect. Honestly, the only thing that will come from it is some shitty ban getting justified for "bullying" or whatever when an admin dives into the rules for justification.

User avatar
Malkraz
 
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Malkraz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:29 am #517567

MortoSasye wrote:I also don't see how avoiding harassment is leading tg down a worse path, but that's off-topic.

It depends on how far people in the position of power are intending to label something as "harassment". Immediately disregarding critiques with a "those people" label and defining a fight as "A verbal fight that has become too heated (Insults are being thrown[...])" sure as hell don't help ease concerns about how strictly you plan to control player behavior. As well, giving people control over how others can refer to or act towards them seems noble at face value, but there's plenty of potential for abuse of that power. You've already kicked me from the discord after misunderstanding who I was calling "a nigger" after another user said they don't like when people seriously make transphobic statements, and claimed I was targeting him with his forbidden words.
Be careful how you try to police behavior, it rarely goes how you want it.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you

Kangtut
 
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 pm
Byond Username: KangTut

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Kangtut » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:43 am #517570

MortoSasye wrote:It will be up to admin discretion and if it's abused a headmin can always step in to overrule it.


Rule 1 was already up to admin discretion. It was always upheld differently from admin to admin but all this does is give more sensitive admins more leeway to ban players for saying words they don't like. What one person might just see as friendly banter will be taken as harassment by another. Sure a headmin can overrule a bad ban but that's still time wasted that didn't need to be because the means to do so was given to someone who abuses their position.

MortoSasye wrote:I mentioned this during my candidacy thread, it wasn't a rushed decision at all, it was also discussed by me with the other head admins which is how the way it gets handled got changed from dead chat / ooc mute bans and I also discussed this with the admin team. However, I do recognize my fault in not asking for input first perhaps via vote since even when I see it as not necessary due to it just being a clarification, it may not seem the case to other people.


You also said that
I’m fully aware this is a controversial decision and it may not be smart of me to propose this, but I prefer being fully transparent about my intentions from the start. With the update of our discord rules, I believe it’s time to give our server rules a new update to accompany it with.
in your candidate thread. It was also like the only thing you ran on as far as your main thread was concerned. If you knew this was going to be controversial from the start then that should have been all the more reason to bring it up with the community first.

MortoSasye wrote:I also don't see how avoiding harassment is leading tg down a worse path, but that's off-topic.


As I and others have said already: what even is harassment. What are these series of events that led up to this because we only had two major cases involving Takov and Doot. Takov was let off after it was decided that it wasn't harassment and doot was banned under the previous rule 1. If we have a bunch of disagreements in the background that the player base can't see then that sounds like players not reporting it or simply not using the tools we already have to ignore those types.

People say mean shit to each other on the internet. Why is that a problem? Some nameless faceless dude called you a bad word. You don't know them and they don't know you so why does it even bother you? If it gets to the point where they keep hounding you then use the tools available to ignore them and then do something admin wise if they get around that.

User avatar
High Impact Dolphin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 pm
Byond Username: High Impact Dolphin

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby High Impact Dolphin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:52 am #517571

MortoSasye wrote:However, I do recognize my fault in not asking for input first perhaps via vote ...

Awesome news! When can we expect a poll to be up?
Image
Image

User avatar
Sandshark808
 
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:56 pm
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Sandshark808 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:56 am #517572

Nervere wrote:What caused this?

Someone said the "t" word.
Image

PostThis post was deleted by PKPenguin321 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 am.
Reason: Mass emptyquote

User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Arianya » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:39 am #517592

Lol, exactly how many of your term's rule changes or policy rulings were put to poll, Nervere?
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby TheMythicGhost » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 am #517593

Arianya wrote:Lol, exactly how many of your term's rule changes or policy rulings were put to poll, Nervere?


Attack the point, and not the person. In other words, stop shitposting, forum mod.
Edit: Additionally, if you're going to moderate posts, and ignore oranges shitposting on every single thread that would otherwise get posts deleted were it any other user, you may as well give your rank up.

That said, a fair deal of policy changes by Nervere were handled in community discussions or meetings. I'm not exactly sure where this point is coming from?
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Arianya » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:30 am #517604

TheMythicGhost wrote:
Arianya wrote:Lol, exactly how many of your term's rule changes or policy rulings were put to poll, Nervere?


Attack the point, and not the person. In other words, stop shitposting, forum mod.
Edit: Additionally, if you're going to moderate posts, and ignore oranges shitposting on every single thread that would otherwise get posts deleted were it any other user, you may as well give your rank up.

That said, a fair deal of policy changes by Nervere were handled in community discussions or meetings. I'm not exactly sure where this point is coming from?

a) Not a forum mod
b) Even if I were it wouldn't be shitposting to accuse someone of hypocrisy
c) Even in the narrow area I do moderate (FNR) the only oranges post in recent history that I can recall was OK'd by a headmin
d) Thanks for the lessons in oratory, but I'm already attacking the point in questioning why a poll is being asked for, especially by someone who had every means of running polls for a year but didn't
e) Your thoughts on my "rank" are noted, thank you
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby wesoda25 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:57 am #517607

This doesn’t even change anything, it simply makes it clearer to understand a rule. Its not a slippery slope since the rules won’t be enforced any different after this. Just a clarification at the end of the day.
9357

User avatar
tinodrima7020
 
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby tinodrima7020 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:11 am #517608

All of you are complaining and bitching, but I for one am glad our hugbox overlord is making /tg/ server more inclusive.
Image
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby TheMythicGhost » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 am #517612

Arianya wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:
Arianya wrote:Lol, exactly how many of your term's rule changes or policy rulings were put to poll, Nervere?


Attack the point, and not the person. In other words, stop shitposting, forum mod.
Edit: Additionally, if you're going to moderate posts, and ignore oranges shitposting on every single thread that would otherwise get posts deleted were it any other user, you may as well give your rank up.

That said, a fair deal of policy changes by Nervere were handled in community discussions or meetings. I'm not exactly sure where this point is coming from?

a) Not a forum mod
b) Even if I were it wouldn't be shitposting to accuse someone of hypocrisy
c) Even in the narrow area I do moderate (FNR) the only oranges post in recent history that I can recall was OK'd by a headmin
d) Thanks for the lessons in oratory, but I'm already attacking the point in questioning why a poll is being asked for, especially by someone who had every means of running polls for a year but didn't
e) Your thoughts on my "rank" are noted, thank you


A) You refute your own point in C.
B and D) Nowhere in this post does Nervere ask for a poll to be made, he suggested to speak to the community before making rule changes, and you're putting words in his mouth and trying to make him out to be a hypocrite for something he never said.
E) Cool.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
IkeTG
 
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:03 am
Location: Here, Now
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby IkeTG » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:32 pm #517616

If bans are going to be handed out for shitty OOC conduct, why wouldn't you want this to be clarified or outlined in the rules? If it's merely a clarification of already-existing precedence, it wouldn't change how the rule is enforced, right?
NSFW:
Image
Spoiler:

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: somewhere
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Qbmax32 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:17 pm #517618

wesoda25 wrote:This doesn’t even change anything, it simply makes it clearer to understand a rule. Its not a slippery slope since the rules won’t be enforced any different after this. Just a clarification at the end of the day.
my admin feedback thread


quotes
Spoiler:
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING


deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.

datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.

Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit

Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)

Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores

Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate

BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.

feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing

Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.

Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread

imsxz wrote:nervore

FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me

Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....

Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby TheMythicGhost » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:32 pm #517621

IkeTG wrote:If bans are going to be handed out for shitty OOC conduct, why wouldn't you want this to be clarified or outlined in the rules? If it's merely a clarification of already-existing precedence, it wouldn't change how the rule is enforced, right?


Here's the thing you dumb pup, and everyone else with the same sentence worded in many different flavors.

This
We're all here to have a good time supposedly. Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules. Legitimate conflicts where people get upset do happen however, as detailed in the escalation section of the rules.


Was like this because OOC and Deadchat can be ignored via the OOC -> Ignore option. You can ignore both OOC messages, and deadchat messages (as they actually are OOC communication) via this method. Any player being harassed IC without prior provocation over a multitude of rounds usually is punished by the rule stated above too, but the precedent of it regarding metagrudging.

We're all here to have a good time, supposedly. Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules, this also includes harassing a player OOC (Out of character). Legitimate conflicts where people get upset do happen however, as detailed in the escalation section of the rules.


All this allows is effectively allowing targeted bans towards people you dislike the opinion of, or inconvenienced you in some way because you can now label it as "harassment". I don't even think Morto put a single shred of thought into this at all and didn't think to gauge the community feedback on the suggested changes, and that's completely odd coming from one of the most player friendly admins that investigates instances of grief regardless of round if reported to her.

In short, it's a redundant ruling that has a high potential to be misused in the same way the word filter has a high chance of being misused by a sensitive individual (though luckily there's no player control over that, so the select people that can abuse it can be addressed).
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Gigapuddi420
 
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 am
Location: Dorms
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 pm #517622

wesoda25 wrote:This doesn’t even change anything, it simply makes it clearer to understand a rule. Its not a slippery slope since the rules won’t be enforced any different after this. Just a clarification at the end of the day.


Pretty much. This kind of behavior was already covered under rule 1 even though brainlets somehow get surprised when they are banned for harassing people. Now it's out in the open for edgy dent heads to whine about (again).
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Image

donutstation
 
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 pm
Byond Username: EwynB

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby donutstation » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:58 pm #517623

cuck station

User avatar
Boris
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:21 pm
Location: Soon to be Atlantis
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Boris » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:17 pm #517631

Gigapuddi420 wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:This doesn’t even change anything, it simply makes it clearer to understand a rule. Its not a slippery slope since the rules won’t be enforced any different after this. Just a clarification at the end of the day.


Pretty much. This kind of behavior was already covered under rule 1 even though brainlets somehow get surprised when they are banned for harassing people. Now it's out in the open for edgy dent heads to whine about (again).
The nerd that plays Tam and Amanda Lin

Call me a bad admin here.

User avatar
cedarbridge
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby cedarbridge » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:43 pm #517633

Nervere wrote:Why didn't you consult the community before changing the rules?
Why do you think this wasn't already covered by rule 1? This is just giving more power to sensitive retards.

If its already covered by the rule then what's the point on consulting the community about something supposedly already present in the rule? How is this granting more power to supposed "sensitive retards" if Rule 1 already covered it?

User avatar
Sandshark808
 
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:56 pm
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Sandshark808 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:31 pm #517641

cedarbridge wrote:
Nervere wrote:Why didn't you consult the community before changing the rules?
Why do you think this wasn't already covered by rule 1? This is just giving more power to sensitive retards.

If its already covered by the rule then what's the point on consulting the community about something supposedly already present in the rule? How is this granting more power to supposed "sensitive retards" if Rule 1 already covered it?

This is transparently an attempt to defend one controversial ruling retroactively, a ruling which is linked as the sole example of why this rule now exists. Can we maybe not base rule changes off of perpetually-offended clique members?
Image

User avatar
Jimmius
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 pm
Byond Username: Jimmius

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Jimmius » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:48 pm #517642

Sandshark808 wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Nervere wrote:Why didn't you consult the community before changing the rules?
Why do you think this wasn't already covered by rule 1? This is just giving more power to sensitive retards.

If its already covered by the rule then what's the point on consulting the community about something supposedly already present in the rule? How is this granting more power to supposed "sensitive retards" if Rule 1 already covered it?

This is transparently an attempt to defend one controversial ruling retroactively, a ruling which is linked as the sole example of why this rule now exists. Can we maybe not base rule changes off of perpetually-offended clique members?

at this point i'm genuinely unsure who you're referring to- are the pepetually offended guys the one complaining about this rule in the thread, or the ones the people complaining in this thread don't like

User avatar
Sandshark808
 
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:56 pm
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Sandshark808 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:52 pm #517643

Jimmius wrote:at this point i'm genuinely unsure who you're referring to- are the pepetually offended guys the one complaining about this rule in the thread, or the ones the people complaining in this thread don't like

The person who tried to cop one of our discord users a discord permaban for posting wrongthink in politics.
Image

User avatar
Dr. Aura
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: Dr. Aura

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Dr. Aura » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:54 pm #517644

I disagree with the sentiments of the change and the form with which you are taking them. Rule 1 as stipulated prior was more than enough to handle almost all interactions because the text of the numbered rule itself is based on virtue of consensus and discretion. All you're doing by tacking on the seven words is caving to the endless victim complex of certain members (and I use that word loosely) of this community who feel every interaction they have outside their own terms as a personal sleight, which has been proven to continue regardless of who they choose to antagonize, be it successfully or abortively.

I by no means want anyone to feel as though they aren't welcome, nor do I want to imply that the community at large is needlessly hostile, but the fact of the matter is that the thinly veiled group of complainants has a history of attempting to utilize administration as a means of retribution against parties they do not approve of, which is something I will not ever abide. If you want to be here, be here. If you want to interact with the community at large, do so. If you want to complain that you are as much a subject of banter as is the namesake of this server would suggest, I strongly suggest you reconsider your role in the community, because no one will ever become beholden to anyone else for any reason and I will assure my effort goes towards making certain such things never come to pass.
GLOW IN THE DARK CIA AGENT
Image

User avatar
Jimmius
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 pm
Byond Username: Jimmius

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Jimmius » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:14 pm #517650

Sandshark808 wrote:
Jimmius wrote:at this point i'm genuinely unsure who you're referring to- are the pepetually offended guys the one complaining about this rule in the thread, or the ones the people complaining in this thread don't like

The person who tried to cop one of our discord users a discord permaban for posting wrongthink in politics.

who was that, don't be coy i need to know

User avatar
Sandshark808
 
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:56 pm
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Sandshark808 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:30 pm #517654

Jimmius wrote:
Sandshark808 wrote:
Jimmius wrote:at this point i'm genuinely unsure who you're referring to- are the pepetually offended guys the one complaining about this rule in the thread, or the ones the people complaining in this thread don't like

The person who tried to cop one of our discord users a discord permaban for posting wrongthink in politics.

who was that, don't be coy i need to know

Cynic
Image

Xeroxemnas
 
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:52 am
Byond Username: Xeroxemnas

Re: Update to rule 1.

Postby Xeroxemnas » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:44 pm #517657

Woah color me surprised.

Next

Return to Town Hall

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users