Nuke codes during Blob?

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Do you think nuking the station during Blob should be an option

Poll ended at Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 am

Bot sink please ignore
1%
Bot sink please ignore
1%
Bot sink please ignore
1%
Yes! Give the crew a way out.
13%
13%
13%
Yes, provided it's on a timer (like the shuttle).
13%
13%
13%
Yes, but I have a different idea (please post).
1%
1%
1%
No! Not really fair to the blob players.
6%
6%
6%

Total votes: 186

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Nuke codes during Blob?

Post by Vekter » #63604

So someone brought up this point during a blob round earlier. In lore, we give the captain the option of executing a 10-7 Quarantine Procedure and nuking the station instead of fighting the blob if they believe things are too foregone.

From a gameplay standpoint, we worry that it might be considered unfair to the blob, as it presents a "fuck you" option that would result in no one winning. However, I see no reason the code shouldn't be made available if a captain asks for it, with the stipulation that we don't just hand it over.

I personally like the idea of making the captain wait for the nuke codes, so that it's not just an option right out the gate to go FUCK THIS, NUKE. Thought you guys might want to chime in.

Few options for you guys, but if you choose "other" please post and let us know what your idea is.

Also, while we're on it, to dispel a rumor that's been going around, the nuke in the vault is not armable out of the gate. An admin has to assign a code to it for it to be usable. So no, you can't just nuke the station if you guess the code (since it doesn't exist).

Poll will auto-close in a week.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Nuke codes during Blob?

Post by Steelpoint » #63605

Make it that detonating the nuke gives a win to the blob.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #63606

I'm gonna say timer, but only with a HUGE time. Like over an hour into the round as a stalemate breaker only.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #63608

Something like an hour and thirty in and they still haven't finished off the blob for some reason or another.

Blob can consider it a pyrrhic victory, since it forced them to go the nuke route just to get rid of it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Hellafied
Byond Username: The-White-Crayon

Post by Hellafied » #63610

Yes, but captain must wait for centcomm to Deliver the nuke code. Maby through a centcomm official delivering it to the station in the flesh, or something. Its better RP wise, and it still gives blob a chance.
Image ImageImage
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #63612

Steelpoint wrote:Make it that detonating the nuke gives a win to the blob.
Blob minor victory? I like it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #63617

Crew Major Victory:
Killing the Bleb
Crew Minor Victory:
Nuking it from orbit
Bleb Major Victory
Normal way the blob wins
Bleb Minor Victory
Crew leaves on the shuttle

Why would the blob win if the crew nukes it? It died, that don't make any sense.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63621

Blob already gives the station the nuke code. It's in the code. I coded it.

But I set the time to 50 minutes. Feel free to change it through coderbus, though.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #63664

Shuttle doesn't come during bleb and probably shouldn't.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
capi duffman
Byond Username: Capi duffman

Post by capi duffman » #63668

It shouldn't, if such a simple escape was possible, the crew would only have to call the shuttle, go away, and nuke it from orbit.

About the codes, giving it a long way (those 50 mins are fine, IMO) and considering it a blob minor victory (So the crew don't happily commit suicide just to deny the blob the victory) would be fine.
It should be a blob win, since a perfectly fine station was completely destroyed because of it, the only way to improve it, is for the blob to reign the remains of said station.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #63669

I think it's just coded as a stalemate right now.

Because seriously if the blob hasn't won or lost in 50 minutes then both sides have failed and they both deserve to lose.

The nuke is literally just a "OMG just end this round already PLEASE"
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #63672

I think the timer of 50 minutes is fine. If either side doesnt win by then, it's probably going no where anytime soon and likely dragging an awful round out.
/vg/station Head Admin
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #63788

Steelpoint wrote:Make it that detonating the nuke gives a win to the blob.
I'd say it should be a blob minor victory or something. Or a crew minor victory. Either way it should be noted that its a desperate last resort.

Also you could fluff it that cent comm has to go through bureaucratic nonsense to make the Captain wait for the codes. Gives the blob time to react and also forces the captain to be off hand and not battling the blob.

Maybe the bridges comm's console could have a "Request nuke auth codes" that can be requested similar to sending a message to centcomm or requesting the aux shuttle to move. (As in normally does nothing but send a message to the admins).
Stickymayhem wrote:Shuttle doesn't come during bleb and probably shouldn't.
I also I think this too, shuttle shouldn't be able to be called to a confirmed hostile virus outbreak such as blob. Its supposed to be a quarantine type event.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #63792

Ikarrus wrote:Blob already gives the station the nuke code. It's in the code. I coded it.

But I set the time to 50 minutes. Feel free to change it through coderbus, though.
Was this done with intent that we would go delta once the blob is spotted? Because that opens a whole new window for Security to deal with shitters during blob which sadly can be pretty problematic.

Also nobody ever elevates to code red because everyone is too busy kicking everything into maximum overdrive to fight blob. Actually people rarely go to code red anyways so whatever.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Allohsnackbar

Post by Allohsnackbar » #63797

In my experience, it's infrequent that someone even asks for them.
Typically, a captain will grab the disc AND pinpointer, put on his space suit, and charge the blob with double E-guns fuck all, getting themselves killed.

If the captain asks for the codes, don't make him wait godknowshowlong for the codes.
Last night when I asked for the codes as HOP, admins said "Wait 5 minutes, for us to varedit the nuke".
That's fair, but don't make us wait 50, or even 30 minutes due to four blob cores because some scumbag blobed in the toxins testing site.
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #64007

Couldn't the blob just pop near the vault and loltrollu destroy the nuke?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #64008

KingLouisXIV wrote:Couldn't the blob just pop near the vault and loltrollu destroy the nuke?
Yes, and that may well be a legitimate strategy. Of course the admins may decide to deploy the ERT with their own Nuke and detonate it that.

I think that the admins should only consider giving the crew manual access to the nuke after 30 minutes have elapsed, anything less feels to early in my opinion.

I also think that if we are going to make nukes more common in Blob rounds, that we have to make the Blob take over more of the station than it does now. Since right now a Blob typically wins if it just takes over one department, meaning it does not feel like there's pressure to detonate the Nuke.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #64021

Steelpoint wrote:
KingLouisXIV wrote:Couldn't the blob just pop near the vault and loltrollu destroy the nuke?
Yes, and that may well be a legitimate strategy. Of course the admins may decide to deploy the ERT with their own Nuke and detonate it that.

I think that the admins should only consider giving the crew manual access to the nuke after 30 minutes have elapsed, anything less feels to early in my opinion.

I also think that if we are going to make nukes more common in Blob rounds, that we have to make the Blob take over more of the station than it does now. Since right now a Blob typically wins if it just takes over one department, meaning it does not feel like there's pressure to detonate the Nuke.
By the time a blob's expanded enough to take over a department, it's likely to have enough cores and resource nodes to fend off any opposition AND the crew's likely to have blown their load and lost most of their able hands and weaponry. All increasing the towin blob count would do is drag things out.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #64120

RnD has a chance in the lategame.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #64369

Steelpoint wrote:
I think popping near the vault because nuke would be a bit meta. But yes, if it came to it, we would send an ERT (or probably a deathsquad) with a nuke.
Spoiler:

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #64370

The stalemate ender should be x rays usually I think.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Somejerk
Byond Username: Somejerk

Post by Somejerk » #64373

Outside of the obvious shitlery that could happen why don't the heads of staff have a part of the nuke code in their head notes? The nukes codes are five digits right? HoP, HoS, CMO, CE and the Captain make five heads...

Well obviously if one of them dies you're screwed but I'm sure CentComm could give the full code through a classified message if two or more heads were to die. I find the Captain only knowing it to be a really bad idea.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64375

Make it as that other thread described: Clown and Mime start with half the code each.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #64376

I once suggested the idea of a key thats split into two parts, Captain would have one part, HoP would have the other.
That might be a bit too limited though, maybe:
-Cap, HoS, RD have part A
-HoP, CE, CMO have part B

Note: this is the ruskie version of the nuke code safe key. The Americans had two electronic locks that needed to be activated at the same time within a few seconds - so two people were needed to turn the keys, the ruskies had a single key that was split into two pieces - so a single person could turn the key.

Back on topic - I think the nuke disk should be request-able in more round types, like cult and rev as well as blob - all those rounds have a point where the crew's lost and they'll want to make a sacrificial pyrrhic victory
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #64380

Nuking the blob is a have your cake and eat it too ending for spoiled brats.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #64382

I was thinking of a combination of the two. The Captain and another head of staff (probably HoS) start with the key and have the codes, BUT can't use it until a certain point in the round (Centcom has to approve its use).

Hell, fuck the nuke, why don't we have a big red SELF-DESTRUCT button? That's what Delta always made me think of. It wouldn't work unless an admin turns it on or we time it on Blob but it'd still be cool.
Spoiler:

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #64404

This is the future, in the future, there are things like secret sharing cryptography, where you need, say, any 3 of 5 total decryption keys to decrypt the nuke code. (note, this already exists now)
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #64419

Vekter wrote:I was thinking of a combination of the two. The Captain and another head of staff (probably HoS) start with the key and have the codes, BUT can't use it until a certain point in the round (Centcom has to approve its use).

Hell, fuck the nuke, why don't we have a big red SELF-DESTRUCT button? That's what Delta always made me think of. It wouldn't work unless an admin turns it on or we time it on Blob but it'd still be cool.
Or some console option that requires a bunch of head ID swipes to engage self-destruct
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64433

Cecily wrote:
Vekter wrote:I was thinking of a combination of the two. The Captain and another head of staff (probably HoS) start with the key and have the codes, BUT can't use it until a certain point in the round (Centcom has to approve its use).

Or some console option that requires a bunch of head ID swipes to engage self-destruct
This is one of the few things that should not be emaggable.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #64525

DemonFiren wrote:
Cecily wrote:

This is one of the few things that should not be emaggable.
I would actually go as far as to say an admin HAS to toggle a variable or hit a button to activate it. I still love the idea of there being a built-in self destruct option. Delta even says self-destruct mechanism instead of nuclear device, doesn't it? I always thought us having a nuke was a temporary thing until someone figured out something better for a self-destruct mechanism.

I'll make a post in Ideas and gauge interest. E: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2774

E: Currently it's a pretty close race between time limit and no time limit. Can people post their reasoning for both if you haven't already? I want us to have a good view of what each side wants and why before there's any kind of decision made.
Spoiler:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #64681

I think that it shouldn't have a time limit, but rather, the captain has to fill out a reason why he wants the nuke to be armed, and treat it like the communications array (I:E: Open season on people who mess around with it)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #64916

I still think there needs to be a bit of an IC reason to nuke yourself in a blob round, to be honest. All it's doing is killing everyone and everything on the station, not just the blob but all the crew as well. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face in the strangest way possible.

SS13 isn't known for travelling anywhere, so it's not like nuking it is stopping the blob from spreading, either.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #64945

Cheimon wrote:
SS13 isn't known for travelling anywhere, so it's not like nuking it is stopping the blob from spreading, either.
You do know the blob can expand into space, right? Just imagine a huge green thing slowly creeping towards central command. So yes, there is an IC reason to nuke the blob.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #64986

Mass drivers.
Bluespace Tech
Shuttles

Not to mention the amount of scavengers a high security top research facility suddenly going dark is going to attract
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #66583

Dead even between outright given the crew the codes and making it a timed issue.

I'll forward this to the headmins. Thanks for the input!
Spoiler:

Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #66638

Not sure why you're involving us. This should be forwarded to headcoders.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?