TG station talent show hosted on Basil!! Date 08/14/2020 8pmCST *Revised by sticky

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Sacko
Byond Username: Sacko

TG station talent show hosted on Basil!! Date 08/14/2020 8pmCST *Revised by sticky

Post by Sacko » #607879

As a new admin, I wanted to host a pre-planned event using a map loaded onto the station. It's entirely optional so feel free to participate in the event or go back to the normal round whenever you want! It won't affect the round it's hosted in.

Here are some brief rules to make sure it runs smoothly:
- Acts should be 3 minutes maximum
- If you need custom images, music or code ping Sacko#4649 beforehand
- If you're late for your slot you'll be thrown to the back of the queue
- Each of the three judges will offer a score out of 10 and this will be tallied up

Our judges are Joey Petunia, our youtube celebrity, Bella Rogue and Dean Ivanov while the host will be Sunshine Day. I'll be polling adminbus to pull in a couple extra admins to help out.

As an example, one of our currents acts is a timed AI shell building challenge, but anything appropriate you can think of would be great to see!

I need help on a couple things:
- Some in character security would be great
- Anyone familiar with the old TG Talent show code who has five minutes to walk me through it would be super helpful
- If you can think of any potential holes please let me know (I haven't run many events before)

This post sponsored by Heedal & Co.
Last edited by Sacko on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:30 am, edited 6 times in total.
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: TG station talent show hosted on Sybil!! Date TBD

Post by cacogen » #607903

If the intended audience is forum posters then there are way too many words here
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Sacko

Post by Sacko » #607938

But I separated them with line breaks so if they get tired they get tired or hungry they know when they can take a break

Also I meant to post this in the events subforum of town hall but It turns out that I'm a doof. If any forum sweepers hear my plea please put it there please and thankyou
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #607975

well.. my first bit of advice is too reread your post a bunch of times and cut out the unnecessary stuff. kind of rambly, condense the important information into a few sentences so people dont have to read a story

second, get a headmin or something and make a proper event out of this, because a talent show is a great idea
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #607981

I love you but there is no way this required so much information so I rewrote it:

As a new admin, I wanted to host a pre-planned event using a map loaded onto the station. It's entirely optional so feel free to participate in the event or go back to the normal round whenever you want! It won't affect the round it's hosted in.

Here are some brief rules to make sure it runs smoothly:
- Acts should be 3 minutes maximum
- If you need custom images, music or code ping Sacko#4649 beforehand
- If you're late for your slot you'll be thrown to the back of the queue
- Each of the three judges will offer a score out of 10 and this will be tallied up

Our judges are Joey Petunia, our youtube celebrity, Bella Rogue and Dean Ivanov while the host will be Sunshine Day. I'll be polling adminbus to pull in a couple extra admins to help out.

As an example, one of our currents acts is a timed AI shell building challenge, but anything appropriate you can think of would be great to see!

I need help on a couple things:
- Some in character security would be great
- Anyone familiar with the old TG Talent show code who has five minutes to walk me through it would be super helpful
- If you can think of any potential holes please let me know (I haven't run many events before)

This post sponsored by Heedal & Co.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #608017

great summary

I think 3 minutes might be on the (quite very) low side as a time limit, maybe people could submit their acts to the ones running the event with a planned timeslot for approval?

just for example, say two players wanted to run a comedy bit, i would expect something like that much longer than 3 minutes to be successful

of course this all depends on how many people want to participate
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608025

Holy Jesus and mother Mary have mercy on me. stickymayhem may have found himself top seed for bro of the year 2021. I cannot thank you enough for going through my original post and trimming it down to sixteen percent of it's original length while keeping in every piece of vital information. I want to ask you permission to replace my original post with your revised version. I feel that your average forum poster will take one look at the page and a half of text copy pasted from my swirling consciousness and show themselves the door.

The 3 minute rule was originally eight. After running the rules through events bus I was taught to think about how many acts I would like to have and multiply that by how long the event would reasonably be. Eight acts by eight minutes would be an hour. That is without prep and late shows. 45 minutes to an hour is your average LRP round so 10 to 15 acts by 3 minutes each would put us there. This can change at any moment though.

As for the old events code I think I need to look no further than our party planner extraordinaire the most wonderful citrus gender. He was more than happy to send this code to me without prodding so running me through it would be no hair off his back methinks.

Thank you for your interest and patience Kendrick and Sticky!
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #608033

Sacko wrote:Holy Jesus and mother Mary have mercy on me. stickymayhem may have found himself top seed for bro of the year 2021. I cannot thank you enough for going through my original post and trimming it down to sixteen percent of it's original length while keeping in every piece of vital information. I want to ask you permission to replace my original post with your revised version. I feel that your average forum poster will take one look at the page and a half of text copy pasted from my swirling consciousness and show themselves the door.

The 3 minute rule was originally eight. After running the rules through events bus I was taught to think about how many acts I would like to have and multiply that by how long the event would reasonably be. Eight acts by eight minutes would be an hour. That is without prep and late shows. 45 minutes to an hour is your average LRP round so 10 to 15 acts by 3 minutes each would put us there. This can change at any moment though.

As for the old events code I think I need to look no further than our party planner extraordinaire the most wonderful citrus gender. He was more than happy to send this code to me without prodding so running me through it would be no hair off his back methinks.

Thank you for your interest and patience Kendrick and Sticky!
Go nuts
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608035

Yippie.

Also we have a new act!! That makes two. We still have plenty of slots open so don't hesitate to bother me on discord for help coming up with ideas or any questions you may have about what is possible.

Also this there is a new IC job opening. This one can only be filled by one person but is a bit part so it is not on the top of my priority list to fill. It will be the clown. We will implement a 3 strikes system ripped straight from America's Got Talent. But dressed up in a new coat of paint and given a bright red nose. That's right folks the clown will act as our shepards crook to get the stinkers off the stage. Each judge can throw one banana peel during the act. If all 3 of them can hit the sick slip shots the clown will come out with a pie launcher and haul them stage left. Lmk if you know any clowns up for the task.

That is all for right now, have a good evening tg.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Re: TG station talent show hosted on Sybil!! Date TBD *Revised by sticky now only 2/10 of original lengh

Post by saprasam » #608059

maybe
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Re: TG station talent show hosted on Sybil!! Date TBD *Revised by sticky now only 2/10 of original lengh

Post by sinfulbliss » #608061

This sounds awesome, I like the 3-minute idea since if someone's act is bad it's not like 10 minutes long.
You mentioned it'll be hosted during an actual round - would there be a risk of people coming in and tiding the show?
Spoiler:
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608069

sinfulbliss wrote:This sounds awesome, I like the 3-minute idea since if someone's act is bad it's not like 10 minutes long.
You mentioned it'll be hosted during an actual round - would there be a risk of people coming in and tiding the show?
There most certainly would be a risk of greytiders. I will attempt to pull together a team of security officers armed with stun weaponry to keep the tide in check. I may also write up a list of rules that are to be followed while on the talent show grounds. Failure to comply repeatedly would probably just result in some smiting if security fails to handle the most robust of tide. Rule 0 can also be used in extreme circumstances but i won't entertain that until we get our first bomb threat.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #608106

>45 minutes to an hour is your average LRP round so 10 to 15 acts by 3 minutes each would put us there.

just ask the mins if you can use the event server
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #608120

It should be no trouble to do this with the event server, and it will be even easier to do this on the event server if you need to use custom code as there will be less conflicts with TM'd code.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608142

Hello,

I've been thinking through the timeframe of this event today. I may have been too ambitious with a one to two week timeframe. I see this after a couple of great conversations with some stand up dudes. A month or more may be more reasonable for a mapping novice to complete all the mapping work. There may be people willing to rough out some edges for me. Most will still need to be done by me seeing as I'm the one with the vision and drive right now.

I will quickly run through a list of things I want to add. Let me know if this sounds like too much or I am leaving anything out.

-Seating for 50-70 people
-a hallway connecting station to stage area
-a couple of security checkpoints, however these can be copy pasted
-a small green room to hold upcoming acts
-a stage complete with a curtain setup

Sacko once again signing off.
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608440

Hello forum critters,

I have been thinking about the rules and have come to the conclusion that they will need some work before the event. My concern I want to talk about today is the time acts must be on deck and more or less ready to take the spotlight. I was thinking that acts should be logged in with all their images and music worked out and given to the correct admins 5 minutes before their act is ready to go. This will give proper time for the admins to communicate to our lovely host any absences. This will also allow for proper time to swerve around any technical difficulties and contact and the next couple acts pings to see if they are ready to come on. Hopefully this will lead to minimal delays. But this is all contingent on the amount of hands I have on the admin buttons. A few delays must be expected but mobs form quickly. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If I have any flaws it is being too optimistic. Please pull me down to earth if you are able.
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608470

Hello TG,

After a solid week of work I am pleased to say I have a draft I can show off to you all. I don't plan on making any major structural changes to the map past this point unless something major comes up during testing. Here is a quick run down of things that are to be done before the map is good to go.

-adding lights
-adding the always powered area
-attaching a hallway to it that connects it to the station. This will wait until testing is done so I can see where it will best fit.
-running through terrorist attack simulations
-asking around to see if there is anything variable I can edit to make everything indestructable.
-running it by paxil or another seasoned mapper to see if they can add any final touches

That is all I can think of off the top of my head I will upload a image of the stage I'll try to upload the dmm in a post under this one but if you don't see it ping me on discord at sacko#4649. you all have a wonderful weekend, Hokay
talentshowstage.PNG
Sacko

Re: TG station talent show hosted on Basil!! Date TBD *Revised by sticky now only 2/10 of original lengh

Post by Sacko » #608572

Heyo forum men,

Sorry to pull the rug out from under ya sybil but I'm taking my talent show and moving it to basil. The support is enough to make me think that it won't matter what server I host it on. Basil deserves a pop boost as well. If we can get head admins to announce something on discord with an @everone ping we may have to boost basil's pop cap up to 90 again. That dream is within grasp methinks. Either way keep your eye on this thread because I am thinking the date will be august 14th!! I'll be pestering everyone in discord so don't hesitate to bother me about whatever it may be.

Good night!!
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #608586

Sacko wrote:Hello TG,

After a solid week of work I am pleased to say I have a draft I can show off to you all. I don't plan on making any major structural changes to the map past this point unless something major comes up during testing. Here is a quick run down of things that are to be done before the map is good to go.

-adding lights
-adding the always powered area
-attaching a hallway to it that connects it to the station. This will wait until testing is done so I can see where it will best fit.
-running through terrorist attack simulations
-asking around to see if there is anything variable I can edit to make everything indestructable.
-running it by paxil or another seasoned mapper to see if they can add any final touches

That is all I can think of off the top of my head I will upload a image of the stage I'll try to upload the dmm in a post under this one but if you don't see it ping me on discord at sacko#4649. you all have a wonderful weekend, Hokay
talentshowstage.PNG
I was sure this was a classic example of somone getting all overexcited by a project and then they can't follow through and it falls apart because the ideas are more fun than doing the project but i guess not

your brain has strange bumps
Sacko

Re: TG station talent show hosted on Basil!! Date 08/14/2020 *Revised by sticky

Post by Sacko » #608670

Big news everybody! The talent show is in good form now with google forms! Now people will be able to sign up without me pestering them. We still have about 10 slots to fill but don't hesitate. Here is a link I saved just for you. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608997

Hello everyone,

Since I'm already going all out I've decided to commission a piece of art of the judges for the show. This is in order to appeal to all the cultured masses out there with an affinity for the ancient art of animé. It was done by TGs own admin and one of the celebrity judges for the talentshow, Mortosayse. Take a peek if you are inclined and peace!
tgstation_talentshow3000x3000.png
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #610048

Hello friends,

The talent show is one week away and we have 17 acts. If you have an act prepared we may be able to set you up as a back up it doesn't seem like we will have a ton of cancelations. We have all our bases covered so far. but more backups would be good okay?
Sacko

Re: TG station talent show hosted on Basil!! Date 08/14/2020 8pmCST *Revised by sticky

Post by Sacko » #610722

Howdy doo forumarinos

The day is tommorow august 14th 8pm cst or the round after it. Ill be posting about it a lot don't you worry if you want to stay in the loop I suggest joining this discord https://discord.gg/EHwQUdft where I will be constantly pinging people. Its gonna be a great show and I can't wait to see you all on basil hokay. Also we may have an after-party the following round to celebrate all the work that was put into it. There is nothing solid right now but it'll just be an on station shindig we may load the map in again have it there. BYE
Sacko

Re: TG station talent show hosted on Basil!! Date 08/14/2020 8pmCST *Revised by sticky

Post by Sacko » #610723

Howdy doo forumarinos

The day is tommorow august 14th 8pm cst or the round after it. Ill be posting about it a lot don't you worry if you want to stay in the loop I suggest joining this discord https://discord.gg/EHwQUdft where I will be constantly pinging people. Its gonna be a great show and I can't wait to see you all on basil hokay. Also we may have an after-party the following round to celebrate all the work that was put into it. There is nothing solid right now but it'll just be an on station shindig we may load the map in again have it there. BYE
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #610854

overture curtains lights this is it the night of nights no more rehearsing or nursing a part, we know every part ny heart!!!!!
the show is in 2 hours be there ore be square
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #610933

Alright forum men, Talent show is OVER!!!

We had a great turn out of about what I was expecting. Getting basil to above 50 pop for 4 hours is no small accomplishment. I would like to take the time right now to thank everyone that helped me out with the event. Hopefully I don't miss anyone but there are are a lot of people hokay?

First would be paxil who made a spectacular map and helped out in the first half of the event with setting up stages. During that part I can't say I pulled my weight due to some technical difficulties and my proclivity to flip off the rails when computer not work. Next would be bobbah brown who helped me set up a repo and do some coding work. Bobbah also handled ALL off the tickets I think singlehandedly. He may have gotten some input here and there but I didn't have to worry about that at all. Next would be Bytube or the world famous lizard lawyer heedal who sponsored the whole event. Even going as far as making a banner and t shirts. I don't think the banner got used but it was posted in the original forum post so that is at least something. Fikou also deserves a spot, he taught me all about sdql which I had to set up for a custom spell that sadly wasn't used to to poor weather conditions. We can always try to fit that act in next time though. Also he has a really great accent and whenever he says maybe it cracks me up. Then would be mothblocks who helped out with some code stuff when the curtains broke and he also may have helped with some circuit stuff I'm not certain though I was busy setting up acts then. Bobbah would know more about what he did with the curtains. Then we need to mention our fabulous judges, Joey Petunia, Dean Ivanov, and Bella rouge. Bella especially since they did the great art for the lobby. I also can't forget Sunshine day or kendrickonium who acted as a host and was really enthusiastic throughout the entire thing. Never hesitating to give great input you rock dood. Then I would like to thank a couple of acts that really went above and beyond. Gene Ball or nabski would be the first, I don't think his act worked out the best but he made a map to use. Unfortunately it wasn't used because the size of the stage was changed after he made it. Then Samba Simone or toad the loser who came up with a great gameshow idea that I just happened to stumble upon when playing on basil. He is also came out as our winner of the talent show with a stellar 27 points. It would not be fair to also throw in a mention to bebeyoshi or tewi inaba rouge who wrote and commissioned a poem to be recited. and I think last but not least would be ryan cobb or wesoda who did some admin stuff and an act which he set up when one act couldn't perform last minute. Thank you for being flexible brother. Wait also Heart Emoji and Bully Bee who also had a hilarious act. I think that is all my bases covered. If not this post has gone on for long enough anyways. Sorry to bore you all but there are too many fabulous people who helped me out.
Also I will probably be doing a follow up in 6 months to a year from now depending on where I am in life. I can't make any promises because my foresight is not 20/20 but seeing how well this went I can make a prediction that it may be in the stars don'tchaknow.
I will see you all on the station, thank you all for the spectacular evening. You make my dreams come true brothers.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #610942

I want to congratulate everyone involved in the event, it all went better than expected and from what I could see, everyone was having a good time.

This was a great example of how events from time to time should be encouraged for people to organize, no matter their experience. There's always room to improve and get better!

You're all based :heart:

MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #610949

Excellent display of skills all-around. Good job guys, and thanks sacko for the event! :heart:
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #610976

Sacko wrote:...Bobbah also handled ALL off the tickets I think singlehandedly...
as much as i would love to take credit for everyone's hard work, i certainly wasn't the only one! lots of admins were helping answer tickets and handle players rather they were on the event team or just hanging out. namely wubli, tattle, timberpoes, jared, rave, and phuzzy, those names come to mind as people who were particularly helpful in that regard!

to those who i may be forgetting i apologize, there was certainly tons of people buzzing about. thank you to everyone who helped run the event, especially sacko! i look forward to all the fun events you'll run in the future.

best,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #610978

Great event, I had a lot of fun.
[this space reserved]
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #611003

bobbahbrown wrote:
Sacko wrote:...Bobbah also handled ALL off the tickets I think singlehandedly...
as much as i would love to take credit for everyone's hard work, i certainly wasn't the only one! lots of admins were helping answer tickets and handle players rather they were on the event team or just hanging out. namely wubli, tattle, timberpoes, jared, rave, and phuzzy, those names come to mind as people who were particularly helpful in that regard!

to those who i may be forgetting i apologize, there was certainly tons of people buzzing about. thank you to everyone who helped run the event, especially sacko! i look forward to all the fun events you'll run in the future.

best,
bobbah 'bee' brown
ok thanks for correcting me on that. All I knew was that I didn't have to deal with tickets at ALL which was a massive weight off my shoulders. Thank you wubli, tattle, timberpoes, jared, rave and phuzzy. I'm sorry that I missed you. I was too occupied with backstage nonsense to pay any attention to the tickets i'm glad bobbah was here to give you the credit deserved.
Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #611064

it was absolutely an amazing time, one of the best online events ive had in decades of experience.

this goes beyond tgs summer and winter balls, we had some amazing acts which really showed some of the creativity this kind of game can allow and foster.

please, please do this again sacko, you did an amazing job organizing this and the next one will be even better.