Ban Requests has been closed

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Ban Requests has been closed

Post by Saegrimr » #165193

Bottom post of the previous page:

Jeb all that shit got handled, calm your nuts. Niknak even told you he was working on it but you were way too salty in deadchat to notice.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #165240

>adminhelps relayed to IRC because of afk admins
>2 admins respond and come online
>2 permabans, 1 weeklong headban, and another guy 2 week antag banned

Seems to be working as intended
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #165253

Kor wrote:>adminhelps relayed to IRC because of afk admins
>2 admins respond and come online
>2 permabans, 1 weeklong headban, and another guy 2 week antag banned

Seems to be working as intended
Significantly less full of sodium today, that round was rage-tier.

The two admins (thanks Niknak/Saeg/Bgo etc) that finally joined were at the end of the round/beginning of the new round. At that point, adminhelp's had gone ignored for 30+ minutes.

Appreciative to see that something was done about that mess though.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #165255

Jeb wrote: The two admins (thanks Niknak/Saeg/Bgo etc) that finally joined were at the end of the round/beginning of the new round. At that point, adminhelp's had gone ignored for 30+ minutes.
still faster response time than the ban requests forum tbh
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #165258

Screemonster wrote:
Jeb wrote: The two admins (thanks Niknak/Saeg/Bgo etc) that finally joined were at the end of the round/beginning of the new round. At that point, adminhelp's had gone ignored for 30+ minutes.
still faster response time than the ban requests forum tbh
Yes, but had they not joined, the shitlers that were removed would have essentially got away free and clear.

Ban requests is nice, because it allows you to (hopefully) wait until you're not full of rage, write out your complaint in detail with supporting evidence, etc.

The steno side of it is shit, but there was a suggestion above to do something like support tickets or something. That'd be cool.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #165384

I agree with Jeb
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #166739

I don't like it. Ban requests was always an important part of having a complete coverage against griefers. I frequently see Bagil adminhelps cry out to an empty bus, and I know from first-hand experience that sometimes its hard to resolve shit that round. Sometimes I'd experience some awful behavior, assume its an antag, only to find out with 40 seconds to restart that it was just an asshole. At that point its sometimes easier to grab the log yourself and take it to Ban Requests than try to scramble out a coherent adminhelp before the round ends while forcing admins to make a call then and there with someone who probably quit after the round ended so you're only getting one side of the story.

I don't agree with a lot of the points Kor made. It's really not that intensive to respond to ban request threads, just require all the requestees to "do their homework" so to speak and bring a complete profile of what happened so admins can discuss the request on its merits. "Poor use of time" is a super subjective thing when it comes to online video games, I can imagine it would be very frustrating to be subjected to immense griefing, have it ignored because admins were all jerking off, then turned away on the forums because its not worth our precious time. Plus ban requests were a good place to have practical policy discussions that aren't just a bunch of free floating hypotheticals.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #169374

All the arguments stated at the start of this thread are extremely weak.

Processing ban requests only wastes weeks of time if they are just ignored and left open for weeks.

Seriously the amount of time to ACTUALLY HANDLE a ban request is minimal.

Tell me how much time did it cost you the last time you handled a ban request?

A lot of that shit ended with someone just saying "not actionable" after 3 weeks, while it was perfectly clear from the first post that it wasn't actionable.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #169668

I have to point out that I hope the loss of this will curb some of the "I WAS INCONVENIENCED BAN HE!" culture we've got going on these days.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #169752

it wont
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #169818

oranges wrote:it wont
Except before when you got a weak Ahelp you could always just turn them away to Ban Requests if they felt your ruling wasn't proper, now you have to sit there and explain in excruciating detail why you're right and even then they still won't shut up about it.

Since we're ending community debate on this, why not accept admin volunteers to run the show, rulings would be final absent headmin intervention, yadda yadda.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #171313

Another fine decision. The place was a hell hole that 90% of admins wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Very rarely did anything useful become of the requests and mostly it was just a place that caused more drama for forum regulars.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #246011

Funnily enough its nearly a year later and the server hasn't imploded from the absence of the Salt Requests.

Really makes you think...
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #246230

Arianya wrote:Funnily enough its nearly a year later and the server hasn't imploded from the absence of the Salt Requests.

salt overloads go into admin complaints and policy threads

BRING IT BACK
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #246256

ThanatosRa wrote:I have to point out that I hope the loss of this will curb some of the "I WAS INCONVENIENCED BAN HE!" culture we've got going on these days.
It hasn't.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #246267

oranges wrote:it wont
ThanatosRa wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:I have to point out that I hope the loss of this will curb some of the "I WAS INCONVENIENCED BAN HE!" culture we've got going on these days.
It hasn't.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #246370

it's pretty bad right now, it feels like the only active admin is kevinz00 and the other trial mins
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #246513

If only there was a log of all bans placed by ckey and admin so we could consult the data rather than people's speculation
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #246535

oranges wrote:it's pretty bad right now, it feels like the only active admin is kevinz00 and the other trial mins
When I'm one of the only active admins you KNOW there's a big issue.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #246614

bandit wrote:If only there was a log of all bans placed by ckey and admin so we could consult the data rather than people's speculation
bans are not directly equal to admin prescence.

it's all well and good for saeg to show up and ban a few people based on admin helps and logs, but constant active admin presence on the servers is needed to keep the quality of the playerbase high.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #246618

oranges wrote:
bandit wrote:If only there was a log of all bans placed by ckey and admin so we could consult the data rather than people's speculation
bans are not directly equal to admin prescence.

it's all well and good for saeg to show up and ban a few people based on admin helps and logs, but constant active admin presence on the servers is needed to keep the quality of the playerbase high.
I think with me and Doctor Pork getting candidate this is likely to happen more often

I noticed this month I've been playing a lot while admins are offline, and I got trial today - I'm hoping i can help alleviate that a bit
Limey wrote:its too late.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #246642

the point is it shouldnt' just be trial mins who are managing the servers.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #246643

we have two options:

1. make the game not need 24/7 babysitting(ha)
2. make the game not open 24/7(ha)
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #246651

iamgoofball wrote:we have two options:

3. hire admins for 24/7 coverage(ha)
4. hope they're good(ha)
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #246664

and then when those people get bored of babysitting 24/7 for 0 dollars we end up in the same position
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #246681

Could always just bring back Ban Requests and public logs.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #246686

Alex Crimson wrote:Could always just bring back Ban Requests and public logs.
Public logs are still (partially) working: https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #246742

Option 3
recognise it will always be a problem, attempt to make adminning more fun so that admins are online more often, be better about ignoring or rejecting shitty ahelps, grow a community culture of only ahelping in the most serious or egregious incidents and encourage admins to run more events and ignore players who complain about getting killed by admin events.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #246835

oranges wrote:

Option 3
recognise it will always be a problem, attempt to make adminning more fun so that admins are online more often, be better about ignoring or rejecting shitty ahelps, grow a community culture of only ahelping in the most serious or egregious incidents and encourage admins to run more events and ignore players who complain about getting killed by admin events.
(ha)
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #249051

Arianya wrote:Funnily enough its nearly a year later and the server hasn't imploded from the absence of the Salt Requests.

Beautiful straw man.

The argument was never "THE SERVER IS GOING TO DIE WITHOUT BAN REQUESTS AHHHHH!!!!!"

It's more like "The server is going to suffer a material, but not irreparable, deterioration in the quality of our administration without the ability to request bans"

And the protesting users are absolutely right. Our policy is more of a joke than I've seen it in years. I came here so many years ago because /tg/station was a shining beacon of due process and intelligent administration. When one admin stepped out of line either in harshness or leniency, ban appeals and ban requests were the dual checks in place to keep those shitty decisions from running rampant.

This wouldn't be a big deal if we had headmins who gave a shit about one of their only responsibilities, but we dont, I haven't seen it since 2015. Policy is an afterthought and as our admin's views evolve on various subjects, the problems become more apparent as they diverge over time. At this point it feels like Trialmins are making 80% of the policy decisions on our server and while I have faith in some (Kevinz, Durkel) I also see absolute shit coming from others (Danno, Sawrge). Not an issue if we have strong headmins will to make decisive ruling about what is and isn't acceptable, but like I said we haven't had that for years.

This is the sort of problem that doesn't rear its head overnight, it slowly eats away at the quality of our administration's decisions and undermines confidence that admins will make consistent, thoughtful, and proper rulings. We've had to rely on the hub to keep Bagil and Sybil off life support in the past year, maybe its just a fluke, maybe we never needed the hub at all, or maybe its a sign that /tg/ is no longer able to attract players because of our server's reputation for quality and so we must rely on random people wandering in the front door to keep our population up.

It's just speculation at this point, I'm not willing to say that I'm 100% sure our server is suffering from this absence of care about our policy, but nobody should be willing to say "LOOK WE ARENT DEAD YET!!!" as proof that it never mattered in the first place. Colonial Marines has some of the shittiest policy I've ever seen on an SS13-related server, but they still pull ~120 people during primetime because its a simple mode that is promises lots of action and fun and has an endless supply of hub players scoping it out. Does that mean their administration deserves a pat on the back? Fuck no.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #249059

Lmao I'm not a trialmin

fucking what
what policy decisions have I made

edit: I had to debate so fucking hard about deleting this post and running with this to fuck with you so hard
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #249119

as another sawrge alt i can confidently say that danno is not one the the sawrge alts that has been trialminned ty
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #249133

Oldman Robustin posts should be closed

-they are a waste of time for the victim: Arguing for a week because you wrote an essay is a waste of time

-they are a waste of time for the accused: Arguing for a week because oldman posted is a waste of time
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #249135

maybe he hasn't read it yet
should I delete it and tell him i'm gonna ban him
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #249293

Oldman Robustin wrote:At this point it feels like Trialmins are making 80% of the policy decisions on our server and while I have faith in some (Kevinz, Durkel) I also see absolute shit coming from others (Sawrge). Not an issue if we have strong headmins will to make decisive ruling about what is and isn't acceptable, but like I said we haven't had that for years.
What you are seeing is a consequence of admin bus not hiring any admins for ages and ages until they realised all of a sudden they had barely any active fullmins and then they had to hire a bunch of people who are doing all the adminning work and do not have any training or experience
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #249320

oranges wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:At this point it feels like Trialmins are making 80% of the policy decisions on our server and while I have faith in some (Kevinz, Durkel) I also see absolute shit coming from others (Sawrge). Not an issue if we have strong headmins will to make decisive ruling about what is and isn't acceptable, but like I said we haven't had that for years.
What you are seeing is a consequence of admin bus not hiring any admins for ages and ages until they realised all of a sudden they had barely any active fullmins and then they had to hire a bunch of people who are doing all the adminning work and do not have any training or experience
ITT: oranges gets removed from adminbus because none of the trialmins wanna put up with his bullshit :^)
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #249395

I think a "tidy up" happened, I was in adminbus and admin forum for awhile now, even after i've gone AWOL. But now I seemed to be removed.

Also Qbopper, the thing is these days trail mins are treated as if they are already full admins. I can remember when trails couldn't actively trial if no other higher min was around, hence being trained. These days, from what I saw, very little training happens. More like handed the keys and told good luck. I'm not trying to assign blame here, but it definitely seems like something that needs working on.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #249400

The trialmin uprising needs to be stopped! /s
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #249467

peoplearestrange wrote:I think a "tidy up" happened, I was in adminbus and admin forum for awhile now, even after i've gone AWOL. But now I seemed to be removed.

Also Qbopper, the thing is these days trail mins are treated as if they are already full admins. I can remember when trails couldn't actively trial if no other higher min was around, hence being trained. These days, from what I saw, very little training happens. More like handed the keys and told good luck. I'm not trying to assign blame here, but it definitely seems like something that needs working on.
I wasn't given proper trialmin until lzi saw I had a handle on admin controls and had some idea of how to operate.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #249558

Qbopper wrote: I wasn't given proper trialmin until lzi saw I had a handle on admin controls and had some idea of how to operate.
No, I don't mean candidacy here. I mean actual Trialmin. The point of trail is not being competent in the admin tools (though that is part of it), but also HOW to properly admin, what needs to be looked at as a big picture. If you think admining is simply just banning RDMers and answering game mechanic questions then I don't think you understand the role fully.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #249573

maybe candidates just have to be properly overseen for longer than just a few rounds
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #249628

peoplearestrange wrote:
Qbopper wrote: I wasn't given proper trialmin until lzi saw I had a handle on admin controls and had some idea of how to operate.
No, I don't mean candidacy here. I mean actual Trialmin. The point of trail is not being competent in the admin tools (though that is part of it), but also HOW to properly admin, what needs to be looked at as a big picture. If you think admining is simply just banning RDMers and answering game mechanic questions then I don't think you understand the role fully.
I misunderstood your post, sorry.
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #250695

Even though I'm in nerd jail right now, I think the quality of general admin presence online is pretty high. It might run down to encouraging format to ahelps so folks don't just poop out "FUCKING NERDS HELP" whenever they're killed in combat. Typing them under the presumption that they're going in an inbox to be answered later would encourage people to be more articulate/explain more at the very least(maybe.).

In the 3-4 months I've been dicking around here I've never had an ahelp go unanswered & I definitely have the notes to prove others boops about me were never ignored.

That being said Ban Reqs and Ban Appeals are delicious reads. Glad it wasn't just me.

On admin energy, I've seen plenty of old posts about admins spiritedly building on the world (building their own shuttles, making npc bases, adding satellite spaces) and running events before -- have those policies/staff been gassed out?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #250710

YBS wrote:It might run down to encouraging format to ahelps so folks don't just poop out "FUCKING NERDS HELP" whenever they're killed in combat.
Those usually get outright ignored. Dumb vague shit that comes into IRC like
"Was this valid"
"Can he do that?"
"Help i'm stuck"
"Being arrested for no reason"

Nobody bothers with those, for good reason.
YBS wrote:On admin energy, I've seen plenty of old posts about admins spiritedly building on the world (building their own shuttles, making npc bases, adding satellite spaces) and running events before -- have those policies/staff been gassed out?
It's always the young spritely trials and new admins that love doing that. I used to do it often and just got burnt out.
That or you put in a shitton of time and effort to make something and some idiot lets lord singulo loose and calls the shuttle 10 minutes in.
Or you put in a shitton of time and effort and someone makes a bit nasty admin complaint and policy thread that spans 4 months that you're interfering with their round or something.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #250724

peoplearestrange wrote:I think a "tidy up" happened, I was in adminbus and admin forum for awhile now, even after i've gone AWOL. But now I seemed to be removed.

It's already hard enough to get admins as is; proposal like having veteran trainer on with a trial at any given time is nice and all but seems improbable at this stage. Hell, sometimes it's hard enough as is getting just someone on that can train and someone who is being candidate on at the same time. It might have been more probable when things were simpler; one server, less players, and more active veteran admins that weren't bored or burnt out on the game.

As such, trials generally still learn watching other admins and consult with others through Asay and Adminbus on things they are not sure about. Generally right now, this is all part the growing pains with the turnover that has occurred.
Freedom
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #250757

Not fully related to this thread but I've noticed a interesting trend in some threads where you have two different levels of discussion happening, one small group of people actually remaining on topic and discussing the topic, and another larger group of people that just shit post and contribute nothing to the thread.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #250763

Steelpoint wrote:Not fully related to this thread but I've noticed a interesting trend in some threads where you have two different levels of discussion happening, one small group of people actually remaining on topic and discussing the topic, and another larger group of people that just shit post and contribute nothing to the thread.
Yeah, this usually happens in some form. I noticed how one of the discussions in the policy section suddenly diverged to ERP discussion for no raisin
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #250814

that's because it's easier for admins to declare a thread a shitposting zone and quarantine it to the hut instead of deleting the associated posts, so people can easily get a thread derailed.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #251171

It's time to stop.