Slight change to head of staff suicide rules

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Slight change to head of staff suicide rules

Post by onleavedontatme » #169634

Previously: Guy kills himself without adminhelping, he gets a head permaban until he appeals

Now: Guy kills himself without adminhelping, we set a message to trigger next time he logs in, admins tell him to please ahelp next time and leave a note.

EDIT: It's now a temporary headban due to watchlist being a jerk. Also, The heaadban application is up to admin discretion. If the suicide is inconsequential, and the head did their basic duties, then a jobban may not be applied.

Reason behind the change: Permabans are spooky, especially to newer players who might not understand the rule. It's also a pain in the ass to go register/post on the forums over a simple matter like this (we had some admins believe that simply ahelping sorry wasn't enough, or that they couldn't lift this ban if another admin placed it, making it a lot of nonsense over something tiny). I also think banning for not playing a videogame is pretty silly in general.

Why I thought it was worth announcing: So I can look like I'm doing something and so all the admins will see it as well.

Kor: For
Shadowlight: For
HG: For
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Slight change to head of staff suicide rules

Post by Zilenan91 » #169643

Much like that one guy I'd take Chinese food over playing head duty any day
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #169655

Problems:

Admins are gonna be lazy and not set the watchlist and/or not pm him when the watchlist triggers

Players are gonna potentially suicide/DC as heads with less regard since it's not as big of a deal.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #169656

At what point does it become acceptable to go braindead/commit suicide without adminhelping? If you do it at roundstart, sure, but what about a CE who goes braindead after setting up power? An RD who feeds herself to the slimes after three hours of research? An HoS who goes braindead, but in a non-secure area, so someone loots their stuff? Does it change if the round in question is a rev round, or if they're only braindead for a short time?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #169657

To be fair does it really matter that much if the CMO or HoP goes braindead right out of the gate? The captain makes sense to be punishable because of the disk but the rest are unimportant or in the case of the HoS and CE, largely redundant.

An RD who feeds herself to the slimes after three hours of research?
I uh... think someone killing themselves would be the least of the problems in that particular case
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #169658

NikNakFlak wrote:Problems:

Admins are gonna be lazy and not set the watchlist and/or not pm him when the watchlist triggers
Auto sending a user a pm on the next login shouldn't be too difficult to code
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #169664

How about just making it a week ban without bothering with appeals

That way nobody has to do anything beyond wait a week for being dumb
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #169666

Only time its honestly that bad is Hos/Hop/Captains leaving without ahelping. CMO and RD don't really change much if they leave. Unless its rev
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #169667

CMO basically auto-gibs at roundstart when its Revs. Just haven't coded it yet.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #170006

CosmicScientist wrote:What is the message triggered when they log in next and who does it go to?
The message is whatever admins want to write (probably "hey this guy left without saying anything as AI, please tell him to knock it off") and the message will display to any admins online, who can then warn them via PM.

An automated memo system admins could just send to players would be ideal, but that isn't coded yet.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #170053

As long as the head does it in a secure location and notifies the staff, I don't see what the problem is.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #170574

Personally I've only handed out headbans for suiciding before you do the bare minimum of your duties.
(I.E CE not setting up power, Cap not securing the disk and ID, CMO for not setting up cryo, HoP for not getting shouted at for 5 minutes etc...)
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #170729

As a semi unrelated question, what IS the statistic for the suicide rate of heads?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #170762

I don't have actual statistics, but it's relatively rare to see since everybody knows it's bad, and you'll be banned for it. Or maybe the actual warning on the thing. Or people wanting to be Heads just don't want to do it often.

I disagree with this, don't think people who suicide as Heads, in our code, who get warnings beforehand, new or not, deserve the extra level of consideration.

And I'm actively of the 'don't ban whenever possible most of the time' mentality, with other things.

But hopefully it works out and new/stupid people aren't as spooked.

EDIT: I'm fine with a temporary headban, I normally did >one week, for first offence, >one month, for second offence, >perma anyhow. Heads should face more scrutiny than any job but the AI, equal with Security, tbh fam. If they want to be in charge, they'll deal with doing the tiniest of most basic required things.
RIP
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #170778

We'll see HBL, but I've long felt supporting of your opinions anyway. I kinda agreed with the whole "BAN HE" bit on this specific entry even if I'm of the 'Don't ban unless it's actually necessary' camp. Having a braindead or dead head at round start Can and often does fuck things up.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med