User title's on the forum.

Mods and admins talk, users listen. Anybody can see this board, but only forum staff and game admins can post.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

User title's on the forum.

Post by peoplearestrange » #42716

This was brought up in the admin forum complaints. But I wanted to discuss this with all the admins to try and understand its purpose, whilst remaining transparent about it.

My personal opinion is that it seems to be almost the equivalent of naming and shaming. I'm really not sure how it helps in anyway, specially the few people who were initial targeted seem to do a fair amount for the game/community (IMO).

I'd like to hear what the other admins think of this.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Re: User title's on the forum.

Post by QuartzCrystal » #42719

The "rarely plays" title was given to people who had logged less than 2 games in the prior 30 days. All someone had to do not to get that title was literally log in for two freaking rounds. We have people typing large paragraphs of opinion about the game, with the full intention to affect policy and code changes yet these people are not actually playing the game. I think this is problematic, especially when it comes to discussing policy issues. As we all know, the majority of the playerbase does not regularly go on the forums so it's really unfair for them to be subject to the whim of those who aren't even playing with them.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #42730

While I agree that there's a problem with people who don't play the game getting overly-involved in changes that won't actually affect them, I am opposed to such titles for what are mostly personal reasons and opinions. It is not however something I am going to act on sans agreement from other admins.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #42746

The criterion used is extremely generous. Anybody who didn't connect two times in a month should not be surprised.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #42782

Sure, I'm aware there are other discussions of this policy, however I wanted to hear what the admins had to say without direct conflict of others, I think we're all a good enough group to say what we personally think (which seems to be the case already).

While I understand that certain people have a loud voice in the community yet are not actively involved in the game play I don't feel that publicly tagging them as such is to any benefit. People are often already called out in threads by others, but to actively force them to wear a label (even if the label could be got rid of simply) seems a little aggressive if nothing else.
If we're going to make it a policy or a thing, then maybe it should be the cold hand of a script that applies the names rather than a manual, and what would appear to be, singling out of users. I.e. if user's byond username has not been seen on the servers within 30 days, automaticly apply label. At least people would feel less like it was a personal attack (whether it is or not).
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #42786

I'm just gonna copy and paste what i already said about this, since it was rather candid.

Rarely plays was my idea.

I'm sick and tired of everybody in adminbus and coderbus discrediting everything everyone here says because 'le they don't even play' so now when issues about the game are brought up, i can point and say see: they do play, they don't have the tag.

When I finally get around to switching to smf I will make it actually display rounds played in the last 90 days.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #42801

As an admin I don't think forum titles are relevant to my job at all.

I currently have no more authority over this place than I do singulo. If the forum administrators want to give people special titles or whatever it doesn't affect my job at all, unless they start incorrectly labeling people as admins and they begin to interfere with policy and bans/unbans.

It's my job to review rules, policy, bans, unbans, and watch other admins for misconduct. Making people like eachother or policing people from shaming eachother over things is a job for forum administrators and moderators who decide how formal or informal the conversation that takes place in their forum should be.

It's not for me to weigh in on this "barely plays" thing anymore than it is to run into coderbus and start directing their projects.

You could label everyone racist slurs for all I care, as long as they aren't shitposting in FNR, policy, or posing as admins I don't care.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #42818

Not long ago everyone were complaining about those who influence the game despite never playing (Coders, Headmins, etc) and now that the label applies to them they don't like to use it any more.

I agree that it's not fair for those who have lost interest in the game to keep influencing changes to suit their whims.

At the same time, it's downright insulting to have this done to you by hand by someone else.

I'd rather just see it gone because I find it unreasonably petty. Find another way to do it.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?