Severity of Rule 8 violations

Mods and admins talk, users listen. Anybody can see this board, but only forum staff and game admins can post.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Severity of Rule 8 violations

Post by Vekter » #46613

Rule 8. Erotic Roleplay is allowed, but some decency is expected. Keep it private. All involved players must consent. Unwelcome ERP will be punished harshly, usually with a permaban.
I've noticed obviously silly bullshit being punished extremely harsh quoting this rule. I mean, stuff to the degree of Takato making an off-color joke about humping someone and eating a perma for it, or the guy a few weeks ago that got permabanned for some idiotic line about FUCK THAT PUSSY HARD, something to that effect.

I posit that there's a large difference between actual forced ERP rape/being creepy, and some semi-harmless stupid bullshit (examples above). I don't see a rule change as necessary, but I believe some leniency should be included for instances where it's obvious the individual isn't actively trying to be a creepy bastard.

Thoughts?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Severity of Rule 8 violations

Post by Ikarrus » #46624

I'm genuinely interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the matter.

I hardly ever get offended at anything but I understand that people's comfort zones will vary, so I'd like to get a sense of where we'd like to land with this sort of thing.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #46628

SoS himself is very harsh and firm about any ingame unwanted sexual harassment. It's likely that the stance is going to remain very outside of lenient on offenders.
Aurx
Byond Username: Aurx

Post by Aurx » #46698

I don't see any reason not to punish people who take sexual actions at other players expense.
I also see no manner in which permitting "me humps XXXX" or "say FUCK THAT PUSSY HARD" would improve the game experience or server culture.
Head admin, /vg/station
Game admin, /tg/station
POMF FOR HEADMIN
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #46699

While I don't find this personally offensive, it denotes a level of maturity so fucking low that they deserve anything that's coming to them.

If one-liners like this get spouted it's purely for shock value. Acting shocked when you get the reaction you were looking for is plain stupid.

If it's actual creepiness then it's disrespectful and makes people uncomfortable so they should be permabanned anyway.

Either way people deserve to eat bans for this behaviour and there is no reason to be more lenient to facilitate childish jokes, intentionally making people uncomfortable or actual creepiness.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #46776

I like this being a perma because it discourages people from toe-ing the line, and honestly this is one of the worst things you can toe the line with.

It's also probably the easiest rule to follow, it's so straight up and clear that anyone who breaks it is either a straight up shitler or too dumb to play on our servers.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #46819

To clarify, I never meant not banning for it. It should always be a permaban, but should we show leniency depending on how bad the incident is? If they're willing to come and appeal, the infraction is something stupid, and they're an active member of the community, I say permaban them until they appeal, then unban, possibly on probation.

Just my two cents.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
KingLouisXIV
Byond Username: KingLouisXIV

Post by KingLouisXIV » #47703

Vekter wrote:To clarify, I never meant not banning for it. It should always be a permaban, but should we show leniency depending on how bad the incident is? If they're willing to come and appeal, the infraction is something stupid, and they're an active member of the community, I say permaban them until they appeal, then unban, possibly on probation.

Just my two cents.
I'm fairly certain that would be accomplished, but as Quartz said, the type of people who break this rule are either line-toeing shitters, or genuinely too dumb to comprehend why the rule is in place.

I've found that both types of people either don't tend to apologize genuinely or apologize at all, and their appeals are usually along the lines of "I DID NOTHING WRONG MODS!!!!"

Example of a good Rule 8 appeal: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2126

Example of a mediocre Rule 8 appeal: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2092

Example of a bad Rule 8 appeal: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 60&p=45393